Invitations

I actually just created my STD boarding passes.

I plan on making them into magnets and when I do my invites I am going to stick to the same theme and again use boarding passes since we will all be flying for my wedding

SaveTheDate.jpg

Wow that is amazing! Do you happen to have the template for the STD? I would love to try it out!

Our planning session is Oct 31.
Originally, I had planned out sending out invitations this month, so that people could make any reservations at the end of Sept. - especially since we're getting married at peak season.

DF wanted to have menus in the invitations so that guests could pick their main course. We want to do a food tasting at our planning session, but still let our guests indicate which of maybe 2 or 3 entrees. What is the best way to do this? Has anyone on these boards done this with a DFTW?

I am concerned that if we put menus in our invitations, I will have to wait until Nov to send out the invitations, because we wouldn't know the menu until then. Our invitations are coming from India, so then they wouldn't end up going out until the end of Nov. That strikes me as late for a destination wedding. (We're not having an Indian themed wedding, we're getting them because they are scrolls, and they look Cinderella-ish.)

Also, I want to have a clear schedule of the transportation for the day, to give to the guests. Do brides usually put this in their invitation? I was thinking the best way to do this might be to have a day schedule to provide to everyone, maybe mail it out the week before. But then people could end up renting cars when they don't need them.

Finally, we want to have a dessert party. We were going to wait and see what our BEO came out to before deciding this, but are the locations first come, first serve? I don't want to sacrifice having the best venue. Which do you recommend? For invitations this also has an implication, because I want to indicate our on invitations that there is a dessert party....once again waiting for the BEO delays the invites.

Please make as many suggestions as you can.

Our planning session is Oct 31.
Originally, I had planned out sending out invitations this month, so that people could make any reservations at the end of Sept. - especially since we're getting married at peak season.

DF wanted to have menus in the invitations so that guests could pick their main course. We want to do a food tasting at our planning session, but still let our guests indicate which of maybe 2 or 3 entrees. What is the best way to do this? Has anyone on these boards done this with a DFTW?

I am concerned that if we put menus in our invitations, I will have to wait until Nov to send out the invitations, because we wouldn't know the menu until then. Our invitations are coming from India, so then they wouldn't end up going out until the end of Nov. That strikes me as late for a destination wedding. (We're not having an Indian themed wedding, we're getting them because they are scrolls, and they look Cinderella-ish.)

Also, I want to have a clear schedule of the transportation for the day, to give to the guests. Do brides usually put this in their invitation? I was thinking the best way to do this might be to have a day schedule to provide to everyone, maybe mail it out the week before. But then people could end up renting cars when they don't need them.

Finally, we want to have a dessert party. We were going to wait and see what our BEO came out to before deciding this, but are the locations first come, first serve? I don't want to sacrifice having the best venue. Which do you recommend? For invitations this also has an implication, because I want to indicate our on invitations that there is a dessert party....once again waiting for the BEO delays the invites.

I think you should send out a newsletter after the invitiations. Since you want the tasting first, it makes sense to do a newsletter after. That way you can include any additional information about Disney as well, such as your schedule of transportation. Double postage costs, but I think it'd be worth it. If you have a small bunch or bunch that will absolutely visit a website, you can put all that information on a website and put a card in with the invitation to encourage going to the frequently updated website to follow along and for more information. Just my 2 cents!

ETA: You could also do a save the date newsletter type format now, and then follow up with your actual invitations later, like January or so. That would encourage the booking but you could wait on your actual invitations with anything else you wanted. You could also do a STD now, invitation later, and newsletter to follow. Of course, that would increase the cost.

Definitely wait to send out the invitations. Invitations for regular weddings aren't sent til a month before, and most destination wedding couples send theirs out 2 months before - 3 max.

As Illuminations_Rocks said, you could send a Save the Date now to alert people that they should be thinking about/making room ressies. You can also send newsletters. Usually the formal invite is the *last* thing people send.

We included a transportation schedule with our invites, which went out 2 months early. However, even that was still too soon - we had people who didn't book their hotels til 3 weeks out, and when they finally did, they were bumped to hotels not in our block and we had to change the transportation schedule. :headache: I ended up printing all new ones and mailing them about a week before people left for the wedding.

Wait until you have more details nailed down - people will know you're getting married. Oh, and Disney will send out Save the Dates with hotel info as soon as you sign your contract (if you're doing a Wishes wedding).

Here were mine:

invite1.jpg

invite2.jpg

invite4.jpg

I used an embosser to do the return address on the back of the envelopes. Truthfully I had wanted one forever (what can I say, I love stationary) so I used this as an excuse. Then we moved three months later! :headache:

invite3.jpg

We are doing an announcement instead. And this is what they look like. I made them myself, however I got the seals made by invitations by dawn.
invitation-1-1.jpg
seal.jpg

Here were mine:

invite1.jpg

invite2.jpg

invite4.jpg

I used an embosser to do the return address on the back of the envelopes. Truthfully I had wanted one forever (what can I say, I love stationary) so I used this as an excuse. Then we moved three months later! :headache:

invite3.jpg

Those invitations are beautiful. Did you make them yourself and if so where did you buy al the statinoary?

Those invitations are beautiful. Did you make them yourself and if so where did you buy all the stationary?

Thank you very much! :goodvibes

I did make them. The paper came from a local stationary supply store, nothing special. I used a heavy weight dark gold shimmery paper for the back to give some stability, and the pink (a matte paper) and white (shimmer) were just normal weight. The little Mickey's on the back of the reply card where just a punch that I then glued on. All in all I think everything including postage cost me about $60 for 30 or so invites, so it was pretty cost effective as well.

WithDisneySpirit, is the little Mickey at the top of your invites something you made or found?! They're just the perfect finishing touch!

Each little Mickey is made of three pieces! They are brads we found at Hobby Lobby :goodvibes We had to make three separate holes to keep from tearing our paper; the ears went through holes I made with a push pin :eek: We hid the backside of the brads with the border paper and you could not tell at all :cool2:

Yours are fabulous too and I love your touches of Mickey too - what great colors!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter