Internet Details While at WDW Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
The WDW site is showing internet access as an extra cost for the little Mermaid rooms. Does anyone know if this is the case or will it be free? It is also showing Fridges for the room as "being available". Does that mean there will be an extra fee for those as well or are they going to be standard in this resort?

:thanks:

As I understand it ... the WiFi is offered on a kind of 'as is' basis.. if it meets your need, great. if not, you can still pay for the wired access... Not sure if that's true, but perhaps someone can chime in on that.

A friend of mine commented that their reception wasn't the greatest in-room at their location in Pop Century.. they just took their tablet and found a nice spot to sit down on the grounds and had no problems.

As for the fridges ... it may be that at opening not all rooms have them installed yet? I don't know. But according to an article I read in the Orlando Sentinel, ALL value rooms are to be getting the fridges ... included. And this was an article vetted by Disney's PR people.. it was accurate.

So.. that's as much clarity as I can provide.. :)

As I understand it ... the WiFi is offered on a kind of 'as is' basis.. if it meets your need, great. if not, you can still pay for the wired access... Not sure if that's true, but perhaps someone can chime in on that.

A friend of mine commented that their reception wasn't the greatest in-room at their location in Pop Century.. they just took their tablet and found a nice spot to sit down on the grounds and had no problems.

As for the fridges ... it may be that at opening not all rooms have them installed yet? I don't know. But according to an article I read in the Orlando Sentinel, ALL value rooms are to be getting the fridges ... included. And this was an article vetted by Disney's PR people.. it was accurate.

So.. that's as much clarity as I can provide.. :)

At the GF Sugar loaf building there is NO cable connection anymore. The wifi works perfect.
I'm using the wifi at this moment and even on the busy moments in the evening the connection is very fast.

Has anybody run a SpeedTest on the wi-fi at All-Star Music? Curious to know what the upload/download speeds are. Going to try to upload to flickr while I'm there.

Hi, just returned from two great weeks at Saratoga Springs. Gladly used the free internet as I run my own business and need to check mail, pay bills etc. Have found on my return my account hacked with nine transactions over two days amounting to nearly £1000. Could be a coincidence but you do get a warning about security... I will get the money back but it makes you wonder. Please be aware and you have been warned...

Will call Disney tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up! We are heading to SSR very soon. I will be even more cautious than normal now.

Did a speed test while at all star music -sent 1 Mb/s down and .25 Mb/s up.

For the past several years, I would take a wifi router with us to Bay Lake Tower, connect it to the in-room wired network, and have no issues connecting several devices to the internet.

I was very disappointed last week. Their new WiFi access was terrible (dropping about 40% of packets on average) and some nights I was unable to really connect at all. My attempts to use the wired connection resulted in reaching the access page, yet when I would hit the connect button, I would eventually reach a “Billing processor time out” page with a message to call ext 56.

After waiting for about 20 minutes, the person I spoke with informed me that the wired service had been disconnected (well, it wasn’t disconnected, because I would get an address, and get redirected to the BroadHop page), but it was deactivated. When I asked about the WiFi issues, they said they would open a ticket, and someone would get back to me. Obviously they never did.

So, to be clear, at least at BLT:

Wired service is no longer available. It is not an option.

The WiFi service is poor. I was mostly attempting to connect to the photopass web site, and it was mostly unusable. Maintaining a VPN connection was simply not possible.

I have heard conflicting reports about the WiFi - personally, we stayed at both All Star Sports and All Star Music, as well as the Contemporary this spring - I had no problems with connections at any of those resorts. We are headed down in July and I am curious to see how it will be, we are staying at AS Movies and POFQ

This is news to me!! (I try not to come on disboards if I'm not planning a trip, its too depressing) I'm quite excited to hear about wi-fi in the rooms and a fridge too!! We'll be staying at ASMO and these two pieces of news make the trip ahead even more exciting!

We were at the Poly this past week, club level. The Wifi was horrible!!!! Dropped my connection every couple of minutes no matter the time of day or what I was doing. Could never get my IPad connected - it would just hang. I called Tech Support and was told that there wasn't much they could do; they suggested I set my home page to ABC.com because some people had reported it worked a bit better if they had ABC.com open. Said they had received lots of complaints but she was off-site and couldn't do anything. I then went to the concierge staff to complain. A manager was down there and he promised to help but an employee took him aside to tell him that it had been an issue for weeks (I overheard part of the conversation). I told them I would rather pay and have a good connection than to get a free service that didn't work at all. I too need to be connected even while on vacation and it was very frustrated. I am now at the JW Marriott Grande Lakes and can't tell you how happy I am to have an internet connection that works (and they give you the option of wi-fi or ethernet) - I get it free since I am a gold member but would happily pay their price after suffering through Disney's free service.

Hi, just returned from two great weeks at Saratoga Springs. Gladly used the free internet as I run my own business and need to check mail, pay bills etc. Have found on my return my account hacked with nine transactions over two days amounting to nearly £1000. Could be a coincidence but you do get a warning about security... I will get the money back but it makes you wonder. Please be aware and you have been warned...

Will call Disney tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing, glad to hear wi fi worked well at SSR, I am staying there in a week or so and have to work half a day so must have internet. Sorry to hear you got hacked I'll definately check my security settings beforehand and be on the look out for that.

Did you get any resolution yet?

Can't wait to use the free wifi the next time we go to WDW!

Just a friendly reminder to some...."Unsecured" means just that. NEVER do banking or even access your email through an unsecured connection. :)

What if you have spyware doctor on my laptop would it be safe to check my email ?

Anyone have any updates on internet access at Fort Wilderness at the Campsites? Last posts I'm seeing via search still note the modem kit and wired access at the campsites. Is that still the case? Hoping so, as seems like it would be more reliable based on the comments about the wifi service I'm seeing... I'll commect a router to the modem n my rig and we'll be happy campers!

I'm confused...and I hope I can get some clarification! On Allears, it states:

For cell phone users, cellular carriers covered for the free Wi-Fi are AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile and MetroPCS.

So I'm wondering - if I have my iPhone from my Canadian carrier... I won't be able to access the wifi?! Am I getting this right? :confused3

So glad the moderate resorts have free wifi. Regarding Port Orleans Riverside, does anyone know if there are specific spots (say at Boatwrights) or old man island bar, where the wifi works best?

I'm confused...and I hope I can get some clarification! On Allears, it states:

For cell phone users, cellular carriers covered for the free Wi-Fi are AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile and MetroPCS.

So I'm wondering - if I have my iPhone from my Canadian carrier... I won't be able to access the wifi?! Am I getting this right? :confused3

I am thinking that it a typo. WiFi won't depend on cellular service, and you can even access it with a non cellular enabled device, like a laptop, iPod, or iPad. You'll be good to go with the iPhone. Enjoy!

I'm confused too. If there is no wi-fi in the parks, how do we access our wait time apps, etc? Can you still get wi-fi in the parks if you have a carrier? and if so, are there any carriers you can get without contracts? The kids were hoping to be able to use their iTouch in the parks.

I'm confused too. If there is no wi-fi in the parks, how do we access our wait time apps, etc? Can you still get wi-fi in the parks if you have a carrier? and if so, are there any carriers you can get without contracts? The kids were hoping to be able to use their iTouch in the parks.

where to start...

Wifi has nothing to do with a cell phone carrier. Wifi is a local area open internet that can be accessed by anyone with a wifi device and password.
Cell phone carriers provide internet access through 3g and 4g which is not the same thing as wifi. You need a smartphone for these and their are huge roaming rates but can be accessed by you anywhere your phone is connected to your provider.
Itouch can not be connected to any carrier because it is not a phone. It has the same connectivity as a laptop. So the if you can connect your laptop to wifi in the parks then you can connect your i-touch but you can get a 3g type of plan from any providers or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter