Internet deal on board - don't miss it!

I wouldn't call it great. There was a handout, and it tells you what settings need to be changed but doesn't tell you where the settings are or how to change them. That being said, when I was reading them the person working the helpdesk offered to do them all for me, then for me to bring my phone back on the last day and she would change them all back so I was very thankful.

Even with that, I went through all 50mb on day 1 without uploading anything, searching one web page or checking one email.

funny.jpg
This is good information, thanks for posting. Here's the interesting part (for me) - it says "sign out of Connect@Sea when not using the internet". Up until now, I thought Connect@Sea was only for cell phone usage. Are they referring to internet use on smart phones or do you use C@S for laptops too?

Thanks

Maybe that was my problem. I was using the navigator app, so maybe that ate into it but I thought it wasn't supposed to.

I admittedly am not up to par with cell phone usage and capabilities.

Maybe that was my problem. I was using the navigator app, so maybe that ate into it but I thought it wasn't supposed to.

I admittedly am not up to par with cell phone usage and capabilities.
The DCL app by itself is not supposed to use any data, it interfaces via wifi connection and gives you all the information it provides. At least that is what I have deduced from posts and speaking to DCL. Data (MB's), will be used up by emails on phones, emails on laptops and other internet related connections. I'm still trying to understand Connect@Sea and if that service is now both cell phone and internet. When they only had the internet cafe's, there wasn't Connect@Sea.

The DCL app by itself is not supposed to use any data

Yep, that's my understanding as well. Hence, my frustration that I went through 50MB without doing anything. Obviously, the settings the girl did at the helpdesk were not complete/accurate.

No not on the free bit only when i was paying I think its to get you to use more.

I received the email updates while using the free 50mb

Our last cruise, admittedly 4 months ago, it was per cabin (basically per onboard account). I've no reason to believe that has changed, sorry!!

We just got off the Magic two weeks ago. I can verify it is per person, not per stateroom. The only person in our cabin I couldn't sign up was our DS because he's only 13, and it's for those 14 and over.

Apparently, on the Magic, the 50MB free package is per person, not per stateroom, as on the other ships. It may be a test. Not sure how they monitor that there are actually 2 different people doing it. Unless you have to enter your name and room number to create your account. Then they could match it up with who's supposed to be in the room.

Think the red highlight may be one reason other than just a trial on the Magic. My aunt and I each had separate accounts, two different credit cards, two different addresses, etc. And while we set up two "different" accounts on the Wonder I cannot verify it ran as two since she NEVER got on hers.

Just got off the Fantasy on Sunday and it was one per stateroom. I had the internet helpdesk correct the settings on my phone and I blew through all 50 mb before checking my first e-mail.

I thought i had all setting correct and on the two week Panama Canal got through the first week using only 16mb while checking and sending email twice each day. Then on day 8 or 9 it jumped up from 16 to 35 when i checked email so I went to the helpdesk and she took my phone and showed how I still had the iCloud backup on. She double checked all other settings AND put 15mb back on the account which I was not even asking for! As far as making the data last while checking and sending email: I would draft the email offline, send it as soon as I connected, glance through inbox and only click those I wanted to read and as soon as they downloaded log off and read offline.

There are many other things that can use data than just what is listed here. Do you have a podcast app that downloads over wifi? Do you have games that will do updates? Do you have photo backups running through other services like dropbox? Just beware and don't blame Disney if your device eats through the data.

don't blame Disney

I'm only partly blaming Disney, but since I didn't lose anything I don't really care. I accept my share of responsibility that I don't know what apps or settings ate the data. But, I also expected that the employee they provided to assist passengers with these sorts of problems would help the issue. I don't think that expectation is unreasonable. I've never bought any sort of internet packages while traveling to other countries before and just used free wi-fi when available, so no harm as far as I am concerned. Now, had I bought a package I would have had to educate myself ALOT more and it's honestly not that worth it to me.

I wasn't really saying you were blaming Disney (sorry if it came across that way). Just in general I'm sure Disney will hear some backlash if they try and help people turn off, and back on Data usage. So many potential areas for Data leakage I am surprised they are offering to help. I would not be surprised to see that policy change.

I am surprised they are offering to help. I would not be surprised to see that policy change.

Yeah, I was too. I read the flier they had and I guess she could see me confused sitting across from her with my phone in one hand and the flier in the other. I can't imagine they would want to hear the complaints for someone who paid for a package and depended on their services.

There are many other things that can use data than just what is listed here. Do you have a podcast app that downloads over wifi? Do you have games that will do updates? Do you have photo backups running through other services like dropbox?
Good points.

I've been looking at apps in Google Play Store and there are some interesting programs that tell you how much data you are using and where it is coming from. I might download one of these and keep track of things before I cruse so I know what do with my device. I thought I had plenty of time to get ready for this cruise but not sure now

Yeah, I was too. I read the flier they had and I guess she could see me confused sitting across from her with my phone in one hand and the flier in the other. I can't imagine they would want to hear the complaints for someone who paid for a package and depended on their services.
They have to offer help. In an effort to provide the communications services many people want, the technology to use that service goes past the general publics ability to properly use it. How many complaints do you think they get from people coming home to high cell phone bills after a cruise?

This is good information, thanks for posting. Here's the interesting part (for me) - it says "sign out of Connect@Sea when not using the internet". Up until now, I thought Connect@Sea was only for cell phone usage. Are they referring to internet use on smart phones or do you use C@S for laptops too?

Thanks
Connect@Sea is used for connecting via Disney's wifi, no matter what device you use. Cellular@Sea is the phone data and calls etc that uses the cell phone roaming.

Thanks so much for this information, it's going to be so useful to be able to contact family via e-mail while we're away :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter