Internet deal on board - don't miss it!

Regardless if this is old or new news these boards aren't just for those are here all the time. There are many people who are new to these boards so the have not heard of the free wifi. So thanks for posting about it.
Everything is discussed again and again who's up for another shorts in the dining room thread. Lol

Last edited:

but the folks on the Magic in Norway (they are still cruising on her) mentioned it was *not* in the Navigators so not sure if that was a glitch for that sailing(s) or it DCL was "testing" it by not advertising.
I noticed that those reports of it not being advertised were on the Magic, also. Maybe they're trying something new? Or, possibly, internet usage/availability is different for the European cruises? Don't know, but it seems likely.

I just got off the Magic and learned this lesson too late...

On the day you board the disney ship, you can get a free 50MB of internet access, but you have to sign up for it that day. The offer expires at midnight that first night, and there appeared to be no catch. Unfortunately, I didn't discover this until the next day (our sea day) and the offer wasn't available. But I was happy to discover their other internet plans are now more reasonable than you'd think. 100MB for $19, 300MB for $39 or 1000MB for $89. I opted for the 100MB for $19 and was able to check email every night. Meanwhile, Verizon wanted to charge me $25 for 100MB that I would not be able to use on the ship - only in port (where free wifi could often be found).

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/services/internet-phone-services/

Anyway, I figured I'd share this with future cruisers... at least take advantage of the free MBs if you can get them!
Thanks!!! We're going in Nov - been 2 years since our last cruise!! I hope to take advantage of this :)

does using the computers in the internet cafe count towards the 50MB?
Yes, they count towards the 50MB. You have to log on to your account and accept the freeMB, so it is connected to your use only. You can add more for a fee if you use it up even if you are using DCL's computers.

Help! Please bear with me. I need help understanding the lingo- dh and I don't have a smart phone. Some questions:

I believe the app is only for smart phones? Is that correct?

But, we do have an ipad. Can I (and how do I) sign up for the free internet on the ipad?

Does the Fantasy have an internet café?

Last edited:
Help! Please bear with me. I need help understanding the lingo- dh and I don't have a smart phone. Some questions:

I believe the app is only for smart phones? Is that correct?

But, we do have an ipad. Can I (and how do I) sign up for the free internet on the ipad?

Does the Fantasy have an internet café?
Ipads work with the APP but you have to select the DCL App from the IPhone list it doesn't fill the full screen. I use it.

Just down load the app to it.

Fantasy doesn't have an internet cafe. People use the cove cafe area.

This is how it looks on the IPad.

image.jpg

a couple of questions......

1 - there seems to be a difference of opinion regarding the per person vs per stateroom. There must be an correct answer to this issue?
2 - can someone please confirm that the concierge guests get 100 free MBs and not 50?
3 - it seems like everyone (or most people) use smart phones or tablets. I assume laptops work the same way? If we have both laptop and a smart phone, is the 50 or 100 shared between the devices? Each device has its own IP address so how does DCL know who owns what device?
4 - my device has "wifi calling" which allows telephone calls over the internet using a wifi connection. This is NOT Skype, it is a different form of technology. does anyone know if wifi calling works with the ships service? If so, is there MB usage to this?

Thanks

a couple of questions......

1 - there seems to be a difference of opinion regarding the per person vs per stateroom. There must be an correct answer to this issue?
2 - can someone please confirm that the concierge guests get 100 free MBs and not 50?
3 - it seems like everyone (or most people) use smart phones or tablets. I assume laptops work the same way? If we have both laptop and a smart phone, is the 50 or 100 shared between the devices? Each device has its own IP address so how does DCL know who owns what device?
4 - my device has "wifi calling" which allows telephone calls over the internet using a wifi connection. This is NOT Skype, it is a different form of technology. does anyone know if wifi calling works with the ships service? If so, is there MB usage to this?

Thanks

Personally I have always understood it and we did it as one per stateroom. Advertising can be unclear. I and three of my family used it in 2014, with one long on per stateroom now its one fee 50mb per stateroom, you do not log in separately as a few years back I think thats where confusion comes in. Posters may not have used it recently but posting experiences from a few years back.

You get a refund of the lowest package price, one per statement, bar the Royal where everything (internet)is refunded all cruise. My last six cruise on DCL have been concierge.
Previously we got the smallest package back.

Smart phones, Ipads laptops work, some older laptops may have communication problems on the Wifi channels used and interference from other users nearby.

Staterooms can share a package now its data based, before it was per person, all you need is a password agreed between you for your stateroom the log in is part of your stateroom so any device can long on and by used as part of your package, they do not need to know the IP device address its the password you use.

Yes it works but uses a lot of data quickly the speed and buffering maybe an issue.

I am on the Disney Magic in 30 days I will post what it 'really' is then on 7/22.

Last edited:
Our fellow cruisers on the Magic have stated it was *not* advertised in the Navigators which was my point above :) In the past it was, however if you didn't know about it or find it another way (possible app or online as Disney Fantasy suggested) you wouldn't know about it. They were also kind enough to share it with us so we would know when we board on the 29th.

In addition, I'm pretty sure they advised it was per person as there were two of them (in this example) sharing a cabin. I do know when I travelled with my Mom on the Dream it was just the two of us and we each got the 50MB free. Of course YMMV :)

Heather

It was clearly listed in the 05/10/15 first day navigator, and it states one per stateroom.

Did a little survey of recent navigators, thanks Scott and the DCL blog.

The 5/25 cruise on the Dream to the Bahamas clearly stated there was a 50mb package available at one per stateroom

The 5/30 cruise on the Fantasy to the Western Caribbean clearly stated there was a 50mb package available at one per stateroom

The 6/1 cruise on the Wonder to Alaska clearly stated there was a 50mb package available at one per stateroom

The 5/10 cruise on the Magic to the Bahamas clearly stated there was a 50mb package available at one per stateroom. BUT, the 6/6 European only says Internet packages are available on the ship. There is no mention of anything free.

It will be interesting to see more navigators from this summer to see what's going on with Internet on the ships.

Did a little survey of recent navigators, thanks Scott and the DCL blog.

The 5/25 cruise on the Dream to the Bahamas clearly stated there was a 50mb package available at one per stateroom

The 5/30 cruise on the Fantasy to the Western Caribbean clearly stated there was a 50mb package available at one per stateroom

The 6/1 cruise on the Wonder to Alaska clearly stated there was a 50mb package available at one per stateroom

The 5/10 cruise on the Magic to the Bahamas clearly stated there was a 50mb package available at one per stateroom. BUT, the 6/6 European only says Internet packages are available on the ship. There is no mention of anything free.

It will be interesting to see more navigators from this summer to see what's going on with Internet on the ships.
Thank you for sharing this and reconfirming what I've mentioned a few times which can be frustrating when people infer they are questioning your information or experiences. Yes this for the *Magic* recently, as I've posted a few times as I know people on the ship currently. To also add yes they were each able to take advantage of this in the same cabin.

I'll be happy to share my experience, no worries but we should all remember just because it was true on "your sailing" doesn't mean it was the same for others and things change :)

Heather

It was advertised in the first navigator for the June 13th Fantasy cruise. We took advantage of it.

I was on the Magic Transatlantic and then the next 2 cruises. DH and I both got the free 50Mb - ie we each had 50Mb, so 100Mb in total between us, for free. We did this for all three cruises.

I never saw it advertised in the Navigator, but it was advertised in the app on embarkation day - you had to scroll down to read it on (I think) the day's highlights screen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter