International Cell Phones

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by aleask, Jan 4, 2013.

1. aleask

aleask Wishes522

Hello,

DD is taking an international excursion (without me) to places including Spain, Egypt, Oman, and United Arab Emirates, part of her trip is on land and part on a cruise ship. While I know that cell phones on the ships are near cost prohibitive (quoted around $3.30-$3.80/min) I would like to be able to communicate with her periodically.

Does anyone have some input about what pre-paid intl cell phone companies to use (or which ones to stay away from?)

A couple that I have looked at are Mobal and Terestial and it can be confusing. :confused3

Thanks in advance! :goodvibes

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. lost*in*cyberspace

lost*in*cyberspace DIS Veteran

I have a world phone I purchased from Mobal which I use when traveling internationally and have been very happy with it. It comes with a UK number.

4. S. C.

S. C. The mitten state

Straight talk has an international plan I think for $60 a month. You would have to see what countries they would work in.

www.howardforums.com for more info on all phones. Once there click on forums, scroll about half way down there is a section for prepaid USA.

5. lizabu

lizabu Disney Maniac

I know in Egypt people just buy a phone card there and use that. Calling local is really cheap but over seas you would pay about $3 for 10 minutes. I would just use Skype, FaceTime, tango, viper or one of the other dozens of Internet calling apps or programs for international calls. Local calls just buy a SIMM card in that place.

6. zurgswife

zurgswife WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is bett

With wifi you can Skype for free and there is a text App that lets you text international without a fee. I'll have to look it up.

We used both when my kids were traveling abroad.