I read an interesting article recently about some studies they are doing into peanut allergies - a report about completed studies and funding for another five years of study. Duke University has been doing a study on oral immunotherapy. The idea is to desensitize children to peanuts by very gradually giving them larger and larger doses of peanut protein. ***NOT something to try at home - must be done under medical supervision*** By the fourth month of daily treatment under this study, a child previously allergic to peanuts should be able to eat a full serving of them without a problem. Children who were desensitized would have to continue being exposed to peanuts in order to maintain desensitization. Link to an article on Go Ask Mom Link to Duke University article about their study. People may wonder why anyone who is allergic to peanuts would want to go to all this trouble to eat peanuts? It’s not to be able to eat peanuts, but to make people less sensitive. Many people are so sensitive to peanuts that exposure to just a tiny amount of peanut protein can cause anaphylactic shock. It’s fairly easy to be exposed to tiny amounts of peanut protein so many people with peanut allergies need to be constantly on high alert - this can be especially difficult when the allergic person is a preschool age child or when peanuts are a ‘hidden’ ingredient. Coming up with a way to desensitize people could make their lives much safer.