Interesting dialogue at Kohls today...

Honeymooner04

DIS Veteran
I was in Kohl's today purchasing, among a couple of other things, a pair of Little Mermaid thong sandals that light up for my two year old who was standing right with me. They are very cute, white with I think stars and shells on the top, you honestly wouldn't even know they were Little Mermaid if it weren't for the box and I think there is a picture of Ariel on the sole. The cashier is ringing up the shoes and asks my daughter about them saying something like are you getting Little Mermaid shoes? The lady behind me comments that her neighbors kids would love those as their entire house is decorated entirely with princess "crap" (no she did not use that word) and every time she goes over there she doesn't know whether to relax or to serve wine to the little girls. That comment alone was enough to make me go um, ok we're leaving now but she goes on to elaborate how tacky it is when parents feed into these little girls fantasies and how princess stuff makes the house look tacky and they are hurting the resale value of their home with these Pepto Pink bedrooms with princess "crap" all over the house. And then the cashier AGREES with her and they go back and forth comparing horror stories of the houses they've seen with pink bedrooms. Meanwhile I'm standing there with a little princess of my own trying to finish up my purchase and get the hades out of there. And just to make sure that maybe someone in earshot realizes how inappropriate they are being I say as I'm leaving, "well it's a good thing we're not planning on selling our house anytime soon. You ladies have a magical day!" :rotfl: I mean seriously! I'm not really sure there is any point to my post, I just knew there would be some Disers that would understand how I felt standing in that line today.

Oh how terrible! We painted our daughters' room in our old house pink with pale purple trim and although it was not a Disney Princess bedroom there were Disney things in the room. That is so rude that they said all that because your shoes reminded them of it and that it was said with you there! How unprofessional of that saleswoman! I hope your daughter did not understand the extent of their conversation.

um wow.

As someone that BOUGHT a house with dear god pepto pink walls, I can account for this, THINK neutral when you sell your home. DARK and BRIGHT colors make a lot of buyers run. My walls took 5 coats to get it covered from this:
HPIM2300.jpg

To get it to this:
HPIM2384.jpg

We definitely painted everything neutral before we sold it, but we certainly wanted them to have a room they loved when they were in it.

um wow.

As someone that BOUGHT a house with dear god pepto pink walls, I can account for this, THINK neutral when you sell your home. DARK and BRIGHT colors make a lot of buyers run. My walls took 5 coats to get it covered from this:

The people that sold us our house used that exact color .. it bled right through the primer and we had to rip out the walls and start fresh.

How rude & what inappropriate language to use around kids! So kids aren't allowed fantasies & dreams? What a sad reality that woman must lead. My kids' have had shocking rooms & loved them. Nothing some primer hasn't fixed later. Right now, DD14 has BRIGHT bubble gum pink walls. Like a friend told me, let them have their spaces exactly how they want, soon enough they'll be on their own & you can re-decorate. I'm dreading that day.

I hope your DD enjoys her pretty new shoes! Both those women should have known better than to be so inconsiderate.

Well when we moved to our new house last September, DH painted DD's (4) room alternating pink and purple walls. Even used the Disney paint. And a pink rug to boot, with the stick-on princesses all over the walls.

DS (9) has everything in his room , blue. Blue wall, blue rug with a space theme.

How rude of those woman. Maybe they're both jealous because they don't have a Princess room. :rolleyes1

Wow, the nerve of those women. Sounds like they could have used a little princess in their upbringing as children......maybe they wouldnt be so grumpy today! :wizard:

We bought a pink house... Pink wall to wall upstairs (thank goodness we had two girls) pepto pink in the diningroom... The pepto is gone, the carpet is now 'dusty rose', LOL!

The comments at the register were uncalled for, but some people think they know everything, and that woman's life is probably in shreds right now if she's worried that much about somebody else's interior house colors, enough that she rants on about it. Feel sorry for her neighbors!

I think I've got you all beat. When I was growing up it was the beginning of the "Disco era" (so you know it's going to be bad). I decide to paint the ceiling of my room black and get the "day glo" paint and draw star, moons and astrology signs on top of the black paint. The what you did is get a "Black light" and the whole thing glowed. The walls were this hideous orange paint.

I swear my parents must have popping prozac to get through my teen years.

How rude of those woman. Maybe they're both jealous because they don't have a Princess room. :rolleyes1

Just what I was thinking!!

My girls are fully enjoying their princess rooms, and I am too quite honestly! I can understand wanting to keep your house nice for resale but to me that means don't put holes in the walls. LOL When it comes to the decor I would much rather enjoy it they way I want to instead of worrying about someone who may or may not buy it years down the road.

Gees. Those women were beyond rude, and it sounds like the woman in line was also using very inappropriate language that the OP cleaned up. In front of a 2 year old. Nice.

I think a pink or purple room is completely appropriate for a little girl. When we moved into our house, there had been 2 little girls living here. But one room was dark "goldenrod yellow." BLECH! And the other room was white with a weird ABC wallpaper border. On one wall, every family member had left their hand print in RED paint! (And I'm talking grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins!) It was just WEIRD! :confused3 Oh, and one bathroom was dark sludge grey. There was also dark forest green carpet throughout the entire upstairs.

So we put soft sage green carpet in the girls' roooms and hallway. The yellow room became a lovely periwinkle, to match with DD's PBK bedding. In one light the walls look light lavendar, but if you used more blue in the room, they would look like light blue. We painted the handprint room light green, as we were expecting, but did not know what we were having, and we did not want to look at those red handprints any more! We did end up with another girl, but the green walls stayed. Her nursery bedding is laevendar, but her soon to be big girl bedding will be pink. The green is a nice neutral. Oh, and the sludge grey bathroom got some extra periwinkle!

Anyway, little girls should be allowed to be little girls. Mine sure are little princesses, and I wouldn't have it any other way. :love: princess:

We painted over DD's Pepto room when we put it on the market. While I don't agree with the vocal discourse and rudeness of the ladies at Khols- I DO see the need for neutral decor when selling.

Well I just wanted to add that I love the pink decor! To each his own, they say. I always wanted a pink room and now dd has one. We already painted her new room pink as well for our new house! :lovestruc Sorry about your experience-some people can be a bit grumpy at times:confused3

I completely understand wanting a neutral decor when selling your home - our current home had a bilious pepto pink bedroom. When it comes down to it, though, you have to LIVE in your home, not just preserve it for possible future resale. Enjoy the pinks and the purples and the oranges now and plan on a coat of primer before listing for resale ! And I have run into so many adults (mostly women, now that I think of it) who curse, swear and otherwise speak inappropriately around kids it's ridiculous ! We have neighbours with teenage boys (about 13 and 17). The boys tone down their language when my sons are outside playing, but their mom cusses like a sailor ! Charming !

This makes me think of the Last Lecture guy. He talks about letting your children paint/draw whatever they want on the walls of their room. His mom still lives in the house he grew up in and his drawings are still there. I thought that was so sweet. Kids are only little once, and I say let them express themselves however they want in their space. I guess that's why I have a bright purple bathroom in my house!

I just couldn't get over the fact that they didn't even make the connection that I was there WITH my daughter who at the moment is still in her Winne the Pooh nursery but will soon be upgrading to a full on princess big girl room. Apparently that makes me tacky! :rotfl:

I mean isn't painting your home one of the benefits of home ownership? And what business of theirs is it what color people paint their little girls rooms? Their conversation was about as appropriate as if I had turned around and commented on the clothes she was buying looked tacky.

Glad some fellow Disers agree with me that their little exchange was inappropriate. You ladies have a magical day!!!!

Hmmm, our house is for sale now and we've got a 50/50 shot at someone coming in with a little girl who just might love this!!!

AllysRoom4-1.jpg
[/IMG]

AllysRoom2-1.jpg

Our realtor had several great comments on this, and while I told him we could paint it, I would hate to see all my hard work covered up!!!!!

As for the women in Kohl's I think the language is what would upset me the most with my DD right there! And what should someone care about the resale value of someone's house if a) it's not for sale, and b) it's not even theirs!!!

karajeboo: I love, love, love your daughter's room!!!! That's exactly what I had in mind for when we redo K.'s room. Did you use a stencil? Please tell me you didn't freehand that or I'm toast!

It looks great! I don't blame you I wouldn't want to cover it up either!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter