Insurance with Pre-Existing Medical Condition

Steve and Sarah

Mouseketeer
Hi

I was recently diagnosed as being diabetic (Type 2 - Hereditry Thanks Mum!) at the age of 33. We are about to look at renewing our annual travel insurance policy - however it has occured to me that I now have 'pre existing medical condition' which seems to complicate matters (As I cannot just tap 'family' policy into any old price search engine).

Does anyone know of any very good (and reasonable) travel insurers who I could try?

The thing that I find annoying my condition merely requires a couple of tablets a day and steer clear of the full fat Coke...!

Diabetes is a very common illness these days and I am sure that someone on her must also have it and travel to the US lot's like me..!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Steve

I have a pre-existing medical condition and have, for the last three years, used www.directtravel.co.uk. They provide an excellent service - so far (thankfully) untested by us since we've not had to claim.

In fact, I've just renewed ours today!

You will have to contact them by phone to get a quote because of your diabetes, but if you check out the website you can see what's on offer.

Good luck - there are a number of companies out there that provide cover, but so many really load your premiums for really no need.

DH was treated for cancer 15 years ago but we still need to declare it. Even if the insurer says there's no added charge (sometimes there is sometimes there isn't) we have to make a phone call each time and automatically lose any online booking discount!

Anyway we bought our policy this year via Sainsburys. It seemed a good deal and covered everything we needed but fortunately we didn't need to make a claim so I don't know how good they are at paying out.

I've got a pre-existing medical condition and have just booked my travel insurance, with Insure and Go, (used them in the past before and always had good service) for £35.

:goodvibes

hi as most of you know Izzy was a preemie and has a whole host of medical problems, including heart surgery under her belt, and our quotes have been stupidly high because of this!
I just had to shop around a lot!

My son has asthma and we found tesco has the best insurance at a good price

i looked into mrl insurance as they do alot of medical conditions as standard so might be worth a look

i have some medical problems i cant get covered cheaply and loads of companies wouldnt cover at all (sleep apnoea , dvt/pe, mrsa and gastric bypass) but would cover me for things that arenot related to these. so lots of exercise on the plane for me then. have spoke to my gp and and the heamphilia center about the chances of getting another dvt and they told me it was less the average person because of the warfarin.
so its possible to make an informed decision about it if you cant get cover.
dave rachel and the girls

My Mum was able to get travel insurance for her angina through the post office. I think it added quite a bit to her premium, although she is 70. I am sure you will get cover more easily than that!

Best wishes

I've just looked into this as my DH has been diagnosed with lymphoma and wondered what we would do for insurance on our intended trip next year.
flexicover.co.uk ask you to complete a simple medical questionnaire and you then have the option of including a pre-existing condition for a specified amount (usually quite a bit dearer!) or excluding it for a normal premium. I got a quote of £22 for a fortnight in the US, excluding pre-exist conditions, which I thought was quite competitive.

i have some medical problems i cant get covered cheaply and loads of companies wouldnt cover at all (sleep apnoea , dvt/pe, mrsa and gastric bypass) but would cover me for things that arenot related to these. so lots of exercise on the plane for me then. have spoke to my gp and and the heamphilia center about the chances of getting another dvt and they told me it was less the average person because of the warfarin.
so its possible to make an informed decision about it if you cant get cover.
dave rachel and the girls

If you haven't already got your insurance, you should give Insurance Choice a call. My mum was diagnosed with a new heart condition, just 5months before we were due to go away on holiday. She spent about 70% of those final 5 months in hospital on the Cardiac Unit, receiving all sorts of tests, including an Angiogram. She was released from hospital just three-weeks before our departure date, and so it was a race to find someone to cover her.

We went to the British Heart Foundation site and used the recommended insurers on there, but all but one said absolutely not for cover - the condition was too new. However, Insurance Choice, did agree to cover her, and while it did cost £420 to insure her for that one trip, she at least had proper cover.

We have just renewed her insurance now, and since she has now had her condition for over a year, she was able to get annual cover for just £120! Bargain. But they did day last year that it would drop dramatically this year; the premium was just high because it was a new condition.

Anyway, the point is they seem to be able to cover a lot of conditions, and as long as it's not a new condition and is under control, it seems like they will cover you. Some we tried this year, even with the condition being over a year old, were asking extortionate amounts - one said they would insure her for £2380!!! :scared1:

Anyway, they are definitely worth a look into and to get a quote, if nothing else!

There was a programme about this on TV not too long ago.

One of the recommendations that they made was to speak to an insurance broker because they know which companies cover what.

We used a broker to suggest a company for my husbands (mild) heart problem and it was much cheaper than any we'd looked at when we were comparing prices.

We also used the same broker when our son went to work in Florida (at WDW) for a year and needed cover ...again the one they recommended were cheapest we could find.

However when our daughter took out 'Gap Year' insurance the company they recommended was slightly dearer than one we found a couple of days later ... through the NUS.....worth a try though.

Hi Steve, I was diagnosed with Diabetes (Type 1 - Insulin Injections) almost three years ago and I'm only 23, so I know what extras difficulties it can cause with any kind of insurance (especially security checks on occasion).

The good news is that I'm going to Egypt in October and have found some great travel insurance companies that aren't over-priced, also I've already done some quotes for a family policy as we are planning a 2 week trip to Florida in May 2010, and they came out at just over £100.

Columbus Direct
Use the promotion code "RT20" to save 20% - the cheapest!

GetMy
These were more expensive by around £5.

MediciTravel
These were more expensive by around £20.

I hope all goes well with your travel insurance and health :thumbsup2

Hi Steve, I was diagnosed with Diabetes (Type 1 - Insulin Injections) almost three years ago and I'm only 23, so I know what extras difficulties it can cause with any kind of insurance (especially security checks on occasion).

The good news is that I'm going to Egypt in October and have found some great travel insurance companies that aren't over-priced, also I've already done some quotes for a family policy as we are planning a 2 week trip to Florida in May 2010, and they came out at just over £100.

Columbus Direct
Use the promotion code "RT20" to save 20% - the cheapest!

GetMy
These were more expensive by around £5.

MediciTravel
These were more expensive by around £20.

I hope all goes well with your travel insurance and health :thumbsup2

Just got a fantastic quote from Columbusdirect for an annual policy.:thumbsup2 Thanks Ryan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter