Insurance Question

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by sayfay, Jan 16, 2013.

1. sayfay

sayfay Earning My Ears

Hi everyone. We are looking at booking a cruise on the Fantasy in August. It seems to me that the prices for the cruise are pretty much set in stone, the only difference is in what a particular agency is offering as a perk!

My question relates to trip insurance. I am considering booking through Small World b/c of their on board credit perk. But, it seems to me that Disney insurance is very pricey and has some exclusions. I have been doing some research and it seems cheaper to get a privately.

Anyone have any experience with declining the Disney insurance and purchasing a private trip insurance policy? Are there any advantages to the Disney policy?

Thanks in advance!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

The only advantage I've read about is if the insurance denies your claim, DCL will usually allow you to transfer your money to a future cruise.

We usually get our insurance through insuremytrip.com It's a website that compares various companies for you to choose one.

:cutie:

4. manateesmom

manateesmom Mouseketeer

We always go to squaremouth.com, it's a trip insurance comparison site like insuremytrip.com, but I think square mouth does better "plain English" explanations of policy terms.

There are, in fact, many reasons we wouldn't do DCL trip insurance. It is more expensive for us. It also insures the cost of what you book through DCL. We plan to book our own airfare separately, as well as pre- and post-cruise travel activities. These would not be covered.

It's less transparent about what is and isn't covered with DCL, IMO, compared to other respected trip insurance vendors.

It's easier to pick and choose coverage that you need from other trip insurance providers. E.g., some people only care about medical evacuation insurance, and may have adequate trip insurance through a credit card company, so the medical evac is all they want to pay. You might want or need "cancel for any reason" trip insurance, and to the best of my knowledge, DCL does not offer that. Etc. It's easier to compare apples to apples on a site like squaremouth, where you can really see what you're getting for terms and premiums.

5. tajz90

tajz90 Mama D

Just purchased ins with Travelex. We have used them 3 previous trips and actually claimed on one. Quick service. No issues.

I don't think there is an advantage other than Disney may transfer funds to another trip. No idea. I do know that the insurance through Disney is a lot more than Travelex.

6. sayhello

sayhello Have Camera, Will Travel Moderator

As others have said, there are only a few advantages to DCL insurance. If you submit a claim, and it's denied, then DCL will give you a credit for any non-refundable amounts towards a future cruise. Also, I believe the insurance is refundable until you have Paid in Full. Most outside insurance is only refundable for a couple of weeks.

The big disadvantages are: Costs way more for way less coverage, only covers what you book through DCL, no pre-existing condition waiver available.

I like www.insuremytrip.com or www.tripinsurancestore.com to compare many different policies, and get the one that covers what you want at the price you're willing to pay. They give you links to the policies, and a lot of explanation as to what is actually covered.

I declined the DCL insurance both times I've sailed with them, and bought outside insurance on my own. No problems.

Sayhello

7. sayfay

sayfay Earning My Ears

Awesome, thanks so much!

8. jkrislc

jkrislc DIS Veteran

Note that DCL insurance will only cover the cruise. I just returned from the Fantasy and we had a WDW trip planned before the cruise. Less than 12 hours before we were to depart, I had I have my appendix removed. Still made the trip and the airline and WDW were generous with the refunds, but the delay and increase in airfare still ended costing nearly $500, which would not have been covered unless I purchased air through the cruise line.

Just my two cents.

9. sayhello

Yep. DCL insurance only covers what you book through DCL. So if you booked your own airfare, it's not covered.

Sayhello

10. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

As above, it isn't that DCL insurance covers just the cruise; it covers just those things that you booked thru DCL. If you booked air thru them, it would be covered. Air on your own--not covered.

The big advantage of DCL air is that if the insurer rejects the claim, the money you paid for the cruise will be applied toward a future cruise. And since DCL doesn't actually buy the policy till the penalty period starts, the premium is refunded if you cancel before the paid in full date.

The downside is that there is no coverage for pre-existing conditions, and it is costly. Many private policies give a free child's policy with each adult policy purchased. That alone is a big savings. Some will allow you to move the date on the insurance ONCE. But if the private insurance says your incident is not covered, you have little recourse.

11. GetGlowing

GetGlowing DIS Veteran

Medical coverage under DCL is also secondary coverage, which means if you have an accident / illness during the cruise and seek treatment, you must first submit it to any medical insurance you have to get it paid or denied before the DCL insurance will pay. My dad is jumping through these hoops now, complicated by the fact he has medical care from the Veterans Administration, which passes the insurance buck from one department to another. Yikes. So if your parent has VA medical, take my advice from experience and get a travel policy that provides primary medical or be ready to pay out of pocket if you have to go to the ship's infirmary and don't have the time or the stamina to submit paperwork to several different departments of the VA. (Or go to the infirmary within six hours of leaving port, as spelled out in the VA's fine print, heh, or have it be directly and unquestionably related to the service disability). Ooh sorry, soapbox moment.

Travelex, a company I know pretty well, is primary medical insurer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

12. Bonniec

Bonniec DIS Veteran

Yep. I chose to go with DCL because I wanted the peace of mind that we can get a full credit. I have a young one who tends to catch everything from school and we are going during flu and hurricane season. I've been waiting to take this cruise for years so if anyone even has a cold, I am rescheduling it.

But DCL for medical doesn't look that great. And if you have any pre-exisiting issues, you're better off elsewhere.

13. Jestocost

Jestocost DIS Veteran

On the plus side for the DCL insurance, their adult premiums do not vary based on age so older travelers may do better purchasing from Disney vs. a separate policy. We traveled with my parents (who were about 70 at the time) a few years ago, for example, and it was cheaper for my family (me, DW and two kids) to buy from a third-party insurer (lower rates and kids were free) but it was cheaper for my parents to buy through Disney.

14. ksucats

ksucats Mouseketeer

Me, too. It is worth the extra $ to me that no matter what happens, if we can't make it to the cruise we aren't out the money. Like you said, it is peace of mind. I tend to worry about everything that could possibly happen, such as flight delays. We always fly in the day before, but even that is not always enough. We also don't book our flights through Disney and often use miles for the flights, so the Disney insurance just helps me with my peace of mind and it is worth every penny to me. We also don't have pre-existing conditions to worry about.

15. sayhello

Good info! Sites like www.insuremytrip.com will tell you if a policy is primary or secondary coverage.

Sayhello