Insanity Vol 7: Reasons Why I'm Glad I Live Close By - Complete

Crew's Cup

We got a much later start to leaving than originally planned due to work and having to stop by my coworker's house and a 45 minute traffic jam in Sarasota. It was almost 8PM when we arrived on Disney property. While we were driving we were debating on which bar to eat at between Mizner's, Jiko, Crew's Cup and The Wave. We decided on Crew's Cup as it was the closest to our hotel as we were already tired and we were starving.

When driving into the Yacht Club, I officially had my "I Go To Disney Too Much" Moment as when stopping at the guard shack, the guard recognized me and stated as much.

Crew's Cup was crowded but as I walked in, another table was finishing up so I swooped in and took it even though it was dirty when we sat down. We looked over the menu & each ordered a beer.

I went with a standby drink, Blue Moon, and a water.

sP96zfV.jpg

Blue Moon

We shared an appetizer of Buttermilk-fried Rock Shrimp which we were both really happy with! The Citrus Cream was off-putting at first but on the second try it grew on both of us as it was more of a dill sauce than citrus. The chipotle was the winner of the two!

ZQ9stJl.jpg

Buttermilk-fried Rock Shrimp - Chipotle Remoulade, Citrus Cream, Chilled Cucumber Salad

For my entree, I went with something different than usual. I went with braised short ribs with pasta and veal jus. The braised short ribs were tender and the pasta was great with the sauce. It was a much bigger serving than I figured for the cost, only $19.99. I couldn't finish it.

VIWIYbe.jpg

Pappardelle Pasta - Braised Short Ribs, Fennel, Cipollini Onions, Veal Jus, Shaved Parmesan Cheese

For a meal without a reservation, I was happy with this option for a sit down meal.​

Looks like you had some good eats! I understand small trips under the radar. We do that often but don't have nearly the drive that you do.

Looking forward to hearing about how the PHM went for you!

was there an accident in Sarasota that caused the delay? thanks for sharing, we've never been to crew's cup.

Looks like you had some good eats! I understand small trips under the radar. We do that often but don't have nearly the drive that you do.

Looking forward to hearing about how the PHM went for you!

This was a good first meal on the trip! We probably won't have as many small trips this year as we did last year but that is always chance that could change as my best friend in Naples has an annual pass burning in her pocket as well.

The drive is a bit long but thats why on trip #1, I refused to drive if we were going to join my husband's coworkers for it. I wish I was a bit closer but Naples isn't a bad place to call home :)

PHM went better for me as I did not end up having an emotional breakdown. I think that counts as a win despite as being slower and more pain on my left foot. I'm taking this week off of exercising to let me body heal from the injuries & when I start going again, I'm going to focus more on yoga and some lower impact activities for the next two months to hopefully start losing weight again and let my body heal. I've been so focused on training for over a year that I need to take more care of me.

was there an accident in Sarasota that caused the delay? thanks for sharing, we've never been to crew's cup.

There was no accident in Sarasota. It was just congestion. Sarasota always tends to be the worst part of any drive between Naples and Disney but never that bad! The only accident we ended up seeing was a rode that failed at its U-Turn through an 'official use only' part on I-4 but that didn't really cause any delays on the drive.

I've only had drinks at Crew's Cup before. It was nice to have a meal there without the reservations.

Everything Pop!

After our nice dinner at Crew's Cup, we headed to the Pop Century to check in and it took a while as we got in right after a Magical Express Bus let off. We had skipped dessert at Crew's Cup as we figured we could get something cheaper and more relaxing as we could get settled in the room and eat at our pace. We both ended up picking up a chocolate oreo cupcake.

Once I ended up eating it in the room after getting settled, I was meh on it. The icing was sickly sweet with filling in the middle and not enough cake for it. Half of it went into the trash. My coworker felt about the same.

Sq4I9Ut.jpg

Oreo Cupcake

I hate it when desserts disappoint! But I've found that happening more and more at Disney. Except for signature restaurants the desserts look incredible but don't deliver on taste. So sad!

Those shrimp and dipping sauces look super good. I have only had a drink there never apps. Onto your cupcake I must admit Disney cupcakes look amazing, but most of the time I do not like them. I have had two flops at the BW Bakery that looked so appealing and had no flavor. Looking to forward to hearing more.

I hate it when desserts disappoint! But I've found that happening more and more at Disney. Except for signature restaurants the desserts look incredible but don't deliver on taste. So sad!

Its one of the reasons we ended up just going with candy on Saturday night rather than elsewhere. At least it saved the calories right?

Those shrimp and dipping sauces look super good. I have only had a drink there never apps. Onto your cupcake I must admit Disney cupcakes look amazing, but most of the time I do not like them. I have had two flops at the BW Bakery that looked so appealing and had no flavor. Looking to forward to hearing more.

The red velvet one I had the weekend prior was decent enough for a Disney Cupcake & I have enjoyed the Caramel Buttercream one at Contempo Cafe but overall, they usually are disappointing. I remember the first time I was going to enjoy the well praised chocolate peanut butter one from Starring Rolls & being like what? I was really happy with Crew's Cup for such an unplanned meal! I may end up going there again in November when my husband runs the Wine & Dine Half for the time period between when he leaves me to get to the corrals and when the after party starts.

Everything Pop!

We woke up naturally by 7:15AM and slowly got ready in the morning. We needed breakfast so we headed to the food court so we could get a quick bite before heading to the Expo & spending lots of money. I went with a large breakfast for me as I wasn't quite sure when or if we would eat lunch prior to our dinner at Ohana that evening.

I was pleasantly surprised with my chocolate chip pancakes but they were definitely too much to be able to eat all four. I had 2 and felt it was enough. I was disappointed in the bacon but Disney Counter Service bacon is always lacking so it wasn't an unexpected feeling.

0ty0Oyv.jpg

Chocolate Chip Pancakes w/ Bacon

I also got a side of the potato casserole as it looked really appetizing while I was in line. I was happy with this! It may also be why I could only eat two of the pancakes.

eIMd0ix.jpg

Side of Potato Casserole

Wolfgang Puck Express

After our breakfast at Everything Pop!, we headed to the Expo & picked up our shirts, bibs and went shopping at the vendor booths. We got some free stuff but overall, we totally spent too much money. In addition to the 3 shirts we were given from Disney, I got a Castle to Castle tank top, I Did It Shirt, 19.3 Miles Race Magnet, Sweaty Bands in other colors, a beer mug and a Coast to Coast Medal pin. Not pictured were the items I had a friend who would be at the Expo on the first day pick up - 2 Glass Slipper Sweaty Bands, Glass Slipper Wine Glass, and Medal Pins.

43IZy1x.jpg

vgkPslZ.jpg

After dropping off our damage back at the room, we headed to Downtown Disney for more shopping and walking around. We really didn't buy much but we had fun looking at the stores. Come 1PM, we were starving but didn't want to eat too much. We ended up deciding to eat at Wolfgang Puck Express as it was near where we were at and it would be easy to get to the buses back to the hotel after our meal was done.

I selected the BBQ Chicken Pizza for my entree. There just wasn't a lot of chicken on it. Luckily, I love onions so it made up for the lack of chickens.

NaQclnl.jpg

BBQ Chicken Pizza

I wouldn't go out of my way to eat at Wolfgang Puck Express as I really enjoy my other options in the area plus I'm more of a sit down meal girl than counter service ;)

Mmmm, your food looks so good. Congrats on the race(s)! That's a huge accomplishment!

Jill in CO

Yes the bacon at the CS at Disney is nothing to get excited about! I have had the BBQ pizza several times at WGP Express and the last time it was soggy :(

Mmmm, your food looks so good. Congrats on the race(s)! That's a huge accomplishment!

Jill in CO

Thank you! Overall, I've been pretty happy with the food on the recent trips.

Thank for the praise :) 39.8 miles in 5 weeks between Star Wars & Princess is something I never would have thought I've been able to do. Princess went a lot better emotionally than Star Wars did but I'm on a break from running for the next couple of months.

Yes the bacon at the CS at Disney is nothing to get excited about! I have had the BBQ pizza several times at WGP Express and the last time it was soggy :(

Nothing is worse than soggy pizza! That would be super disappointing.

Ohana

After our lunch at Wolfgang Puck, we took the bus back to Pop Century & hung out in the room. I took a 90 minute nap and we just relaxed until it was time to head to the Polynesian for dinner. We had trouble finding parking at the Polynesian with the new layout of the parking lot. Once we went upstairs to check in, we waited in line for a bit until we could check in. At least it wasn't a long wait until we were brought to our table where we could see the castle past the construction on the volcano pool.

zizbYcO.jpg

We skipped on eating the bed as we knew we had a lot of food coming our way.

AkR0qpS.jpg

Welcome Bread - Pineapple Coconut Bread

It wasn't long until our server greeted us and brought the lettuce wraps & sauces to the table. I know these have been badly received here on the boards but we enjoyed them. We felt it was a great way to get a good amount of vegetables in our bodies, especially before the races we were going to do this weekend!

7z8CZTQ.jpg

Lettuce Wraps

9WYyext.jpg

Peanut Sauce & Other Sauce I Never Had

Our server brought out the potstickers and wings after we had some of the lettuce wraps. The wings didn't have a lot of flavor on them. The potstickers were amazing though! We almost ended up asking for seconds but we didn't as we knew we had enough food coming.

CUilqHg.jpg

Chicken Wings & Potstickers

gQOIvoN.jpg

A Closer Look

We both ended up getting an adult beverage to enjoy during this meal as it would be our last for this trip! I got one of my standbys for Disney - the Blue Glowtini as its tasty and not too strong. No way was I going to get a Lapu Lapu this evening!

Ve6SRm1.jpg

Blue Glowtini

Apparently I forgot pictures of the noodles, vegetables, steak & shrimp I ended up eating. We got a second portion of the noodles as we were definitely carb loading for the races! I skipped the skewer of chicken as I was all about that shrimp. The server ended up putting like 8 Shrimp on my plate! I totally ate all of them as well. The single steak piece I had was tender as well.

We didn't get second portions of the skewers of meat as we didn't want to eat too much. Our plates were cleared and the server brought out dessert! My coworker and I were perfect mates to eat this as I actually don't like bread pudding but I like vanilla ice cream. She loves bread pudding and is meh on ice cream so we were able to split this well, especially with the banana rum caramel sauce.

nhYcQKy.jpg

Bread Pudding w/ Vanilla Ice Cream

Ohana was a great pre-race meal as we were totally able to get a well balanced meal. We didn't overeat despite being all-you-can-eat so we left just full enough.

After dinner, we stopped by Hess to get some items for breakfast the next few days that I actually didn't end up eating (at least it made easy breakfast for this week at work!) and we headed back to the hotel to be in bed by 8PM for our 2:50AM wake up alarm!​

Oh Ohana, how I love thee!! Great review :)

I like Ohana but it isn't a must do for me. For the most part, we've always been happy when we eat there but we rarely plan trips 6 months in advance outside of Food & Wine Festival anymore so it doesn't enter rotation much.

Run Disney Snack Box

The alarm felt so early when it went off at 2:50AM. Both of us got ready for the first of the two runs this morning. It was so cold! Luckily, RunDisney had about 9 heaters out in the pre-race area for everyone to huddle around to keep warm. The princesses came out late to signs and we hopped in the shorter of the two lines as we didn't care too much about the princess.

16Sow5o.jpg

About 4:45AM, I headed to my corral (D) and got right towards the front! At 5:30AM, the wheelchair corral took off, followed by A, B, C, and then finally D for me. I was purposely trying to take this run easy as we had the half the next day. I got really annoyed at my phone as the camera did not want to work as everytime I turned on the app, the screen was black. As I had my mapmyrun app going, I didn't want to restart my phone to fix it so alas, I have zero photos of this race, but I finished, as did my coworker! She rocked it at a 11:30 pace! My official pace was a 16:38 versus the 16:08 my phone gave me.

Yz2MffW.jpg

Upon return to the room, we decided to dig into our box of food you are given at the end of the race. That cheddar chese spread was exactly what I needed for breakfast with those tortilla chips. I also had the animal crackers as well as we waited for the bus to the Magic Kingdom. The rest of the items went into my bag to take home as I didnt' want to eat everything this morning. I like how the box was a much better selection than the one I was given at Star Wars. Most of the items would things I would eat over the coming days (and breakfast for work!)

6mD5r2x.jpg

Run Disney Snack Box

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter