Increased ticket prices coming soon?

I'll never understand why advertiser-supported cable stations decided to charge the cable companies as well...but now with the viewing audience so diluted there is no way they could get out of that revenue model now. What they have to do is stop spinning up new useless channels and ramming them down the cable companies' throats.

ESPN is all canned shows with on air talking heads. Nobody is paying out of pocket for access to that.

And there primary on the field product - the NBA...is costing them a fortune and they have run that league into the ground in terms of broad appeal and quality of the sport. It's 90% an exhibition now.

Are NBA fans diehard enough to pay Disney for it each month? Enough of them?

And the other leagues have gotten smarter about it - the MLB digital Package is the best deal out there. The NFL is the king but they are only on direct tv and then will go straight to the consumer and bypass the networks before too long.

ESPN as a profit center's days are numbered.

Up here in Canada, everyone can get NFL, NHL, MLB network included in their package with any carrier. Then, you can buy the premium stuff like NFL Sunday Ticket through Rogers with a Premium Sports Package that's $35 a month - which gives you all 6 premiums (NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, OHL and US collegiates) plus a sports magazine subscription. And for those who really only want it for a season - there's only a 4 month commitment. ESPN isn't available in Canada, but given what's already available, I really can't see that it would be worth expanding up here anwyways.

I'll never understand why advertiser-supported cable stations decided to charge the cable companies as well...but now with the viewing audience so diluted there is no way they could get out of that revenue model now. What they have to do is stop spinning up new useless channels and ramming them down the cable companies' throats.

They've already hit the iceberg. I think they're more like Kodak circa 1999 at this point.

Last edited:
Positive. One 1 one day is now $105. It was at $102 yesterday. Children’s tickets cost $100, up from $97. One-day park to park admission costs $155, up from $147. Child park/park is now $150, up from $142.
https://www.universalorlando.com/Theme-Park-Tickets/General-Admission.aspx

edit: Orlando Sentinel now has it http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-universal-ticket-prices-20160211-story.html
Yipes..just did the math and for a 3-day park-to-park (not counting the current promo of buy 2 day get the 3rd free) is now $133.10 (includes tax) total MORE for 5 people.........and that's with getting $20 off per day for purchasing online.

I wonder if Disney's price increase will be as "modest". Not that $8 per ticket per day doesn't add up. But I'm just waiting to see if they "just" raise prices, or if they announce tiered.

Positive. One 1 one day is now $105. It was at $102 yesterday. Children’s tickets cost $100, up from $97. One-day park to park admission costs $155, up from $147. Child park/park is now $150, up from $142.
https://www.universalorlando.com/Theme-Park-Tickets/General-Admission.aspx

edit: Orlando Sentinel now has it http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-universal-ticket-prices-20160211-story.html
Disney's won't be far behind now.

What get's me for both Disney and Universal is why even bother with childen's ticket pries if the difference is only a few dollars? It is just silly. Just lower the price of adult tickets by a few bucks and charge EVERYONE that price.

On another note .. I am sure glad Disney hasn't done some attraction (like Universal) that REQUIRES a hopper ticket. That just really rubs me the wrong way that you need to park-to-park ticket at Universal to ride the Hogwart's Express.

Following a conversation on the Budget Board, people are guessing April 1. A couple of people have reported deals that tickets must be purchased by March 31. Maybe an indicator???

Following a conversation on the Budget Board, people are guessing April 1. A couple of people have reported deals that tickets must be purchased by March 31. Maybe an indicator???

It would completely buck the trend of how and when Disney does price increases. For at least a decade they've only ever done them on a Sunday, but April 1st is a Friday. It would also be over 13 months from the last increase, which over the same decade has generally been within a week of 12 months after the last increase, if not sooner.

With Universal having already done theirs, I still think the most likely target is the 28th (last Sunday of Feb, as with the last two years), but now I'm thinking that it's more like 10% the 14th, 15% the 21st, and 75% the 28th.

This doesn't bode well to me. Usually Disney raises first, then Universal a day or two later after they wait for Disney to play their hand. To me this means Disney is planning something completely different like all new tickets with tiering like they did for the annual passes, and Universal got wind of it and decided to go ahead and announce their usual increase since they probably wouldn't be following that kind of pricing.

Why not April Fool's Day? That would be fitting. ;)

I'm just passing along the other "scuttle" I'm hearing...though I agree that history is probably a better predictor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter