Incident at Poly

sam'smominco

Earning My Ears
I have to preface this post by saying that we LOVE WDW and vacation there annually (and we live in Colorado, so it is quite a haul for us). We just got back from a 6-night stay at the Poly followed by three nights on the Wonder. On our third day, our 13-month-old DS was playing in the fountain splash area by the pool and slipped and fell. He immediately vomited. We kept an eye on him for the next few hours and he seemed to be fine. However, three hours later while waiting for our entrees to arrive at California Grill, he vomited again. We packed up our food and went back to the Poly where we called our pediatrician back home. He wanted us to take him to the ER to get a CT scan. We had no car with us so we had to rely on the complimentary Disney ambulance transport to get us to the ER in Celebration. All was well with our little one and six hours later we were back in our room. He did have a few more vomiting episodes over the next 12 hours but the doctor said that was normal if you suffer a concussion.

My deal is that I found that whole splash area to be VERY dangerous. In fact, I was considering not letting him play in it just a few minutes before he fell (mother's instinct, I guess). As a mom of two very rough boys, I have a very high tolerance for that sort of stuff and I am not a hovering mother at all. I wish I would have listened to my gut but DS was having so much (as was I watching him). However, prior to his fall I saw three older kids take pretty major falls within a span of less than 20 minutes. DS is only 13 months, but he has been walking since 10 months so he is pretty steady on his feet, and he wasn't running (just merely toddling around as they do at that age).

I am really in a quandry as if I should file some sort of complaint. If you have been to the Poly, you know that the splash area is on concrete which is VERY slippery. On the Wonder, the splash area had the foamy surface which was much less slippery.

Like I said, we are huge Disney fans and this incident is definitely NOT going to deter us from going again. Nor do I want to get some sort of compensation out of this. Thankfully we had purchased trip insurance which should cover any OOP costs that we will incur for the medical attention. (but not the time we lost at the parks because of having to stay in our room and care for him) But I just have the nagging feeling that I should state some sort of complaint so that it is documented. The managers of the Poly were in our room within a few minutes of us calling for the ambulance so they are aware of what happened. But in all honesty, they didn't seem to be too concerned about the incident.

Thoughts? Anyone else find this area dangerous or am I just reflecting my own feelings?

Why not give them a heads-up? I wouldn't write them hate mail (not that you would), but state what happened, and let them know that you want to prevent any similar injuries happening to other families in the most Magical place on Earth!

Please do write. We might stay there this summer and I certainly will be on the look out for this spot. I'm sure they are trained not to show emotion over a guest injury they might be responsible for! I think it is reasonable to put the incident in writing and perhaps request a park pass for your party for the day you missed at the parks, or dining (whatever was impacted).

I'm curious if other splash areas are on concrete? We go to a splash park sometimes in the summer and I cannot remember!

So glad you child is ok.:) Do write a letter. Serveral of them to different people if you can so you voice can be heard. Try and find out who is over all the resorts as well as managers at the Poly, and write them too. Someone will get something done. If its a problem it will get fixed. Disney doesn't want any trouble.

First off, I'm glad your son is okay, and so sorry that you had to deal with this on vacation.

Now that you mention it, I sort of remember the slippery surface from our trip to the Poly a couple of years back, when we were there with an 18 month old.

You should absolutely write. Maybe hearing of your incident will make them realize there is the potential for serious injury. I agree that you should notify multiple people, just to increase your chances of being heard.

I think you should write a letter expressing your concerns. After all, your child's injury may have been much worse. I'm a huge Poly fan but I'll be honest with you: the first time I saw this "play area", I thought the same thing as you. It just does not seem like the safest thing in the world. It just seems to me that they could have had the same spongey material for the surface as they do at other similar "fountain" areas in Disney. I find it surprising that this area has a cement surface. I usually don't see a whole bunch of small children playing there and I wonder if their parents are not allowing them to. I know I get nervous when my little ones play there (5 & 6 yrs old). They are usually wearing swim vests and I hope that that adds some protection at least, although not to their heads!

Wow yeah you should def send them a letter, but- like someone else said, it's all in the way you write the letter. I didn't know prior that they had a concrete splash area, and that's just really strange. I like the new foam areas they have in many places.

Writing a letter showing your concerns is the right thing to do. If this happened to me, or one of the kids, I would complain immediately. It is very unsafe to have an area like this, especially with little ones running about. And, thanks for the heads-up. I'll try to avoid this area when we are at the Poly this July.

Thanks,
Simon :)

I'd contact Disney, explain how your son got a concussion, and suggest that they switch to the rubbery resiliant material used on the cruise ships.

We had an incident a few years ago where DH & I were walking to our car at Typhoon Lagoon, and a car came into the parking lot too fast and hit DH. Fortunately, his injury was very minor. I emailed Disney (I can't remember who I contacted, sorry) to say that I thought the Typhoon Lagoon parking lot needed a sidewalk that went all the way to the end of the parking lot, and maybe some speed bumps, since the sight lines coming into the lot are poor. The email I got back was very brief and curt (I think it just said they had received and read my email), but I suspect that's because of concerns that saying anything (even just "we're sorry") might be used against Disney in a lawsuit. My belief is that the email was read and taken seriously. Disney seems very pro-active about guest safety, so perhaps they just need to be made aware of this problem at the Poly. It's an older resort, so the resiliant material might not have been available when the pool area was built.

Yes, it is slippery, we let our kids play there and thankfully no one fell, but I also believe my little one had water shoes on...I'm going to have to check my photos, now that I think of it.

Write Disney. They should at least be aware of it. I think it will make you feel better to write and perhaps they'll look into it.

I agree with all the above--you should write a very polite letter outlining what happened and your concerns. We will be extra careful in this area (or will avoid altogether) when we're at the Poly in a few weeks.

I'm glad your son is okay and thanks for sharing your story with us.

I'm glad to hear your son is okay. What a scary experience. I too would write a letter explaining what happened. I'm sure they would want to know!

First off, I am so glad your little guy is okay. I'm sure that was a scary experience for all of you.

I would write and let them know what happened. Even though the managers came up and I'm sure some report was made, who knows if the people who have the power the fix the situation actually found out.

Again, its in the wording. Just to inform them of a potential safety hazzard.

We were just at Poly and I did notice it was a bit slippery and I always make sure dd has her water shoes on (regardless if it is slippery or not, you just never know) and we also decided to use the quiet pool b/c it was not slippery and less busy.

I would definately write a note and let them know what happened, they really should know.

So glad your son is okay!:thumbsup2

I too agree with all. I would write but if I was in that same situation I would also call while that letter is on its way. Ask to speak to a head manager at the Poly and explain all that happened. You may also be able to find out who the proper contacts are for addressing the letter(s).

Glad to hear your DS is fine. Let us know how all this turns out when the Poly.

Very glad that your son is alright. I would definately write them a letter expressing your concern about the splash area. They should put down that rubberized decking that they have in various other play areas (the same stuff that they have in the Dinoland play area). It is permeable and much easier on little bodies should they fall.

I just wanted to mention that at Disney's California Adventure, they have a water play area in A Bug's Land. The ground is smooth cement. They REQUIRE children to be wearing shoes when playing in these areas. They have a CM on duty reminding people if their kids run in there barefoot.

I can't imagine how Disney would be so strict with this policy in one location, while not holding themselves to the same standards at another location.

Perhaps you can mention this in your letter. I'm glad your baby turned out to be okay. Maybe this can be a lesson to all the other parents: put watershoes on your toddlers in ALL play areas! That rubbery stuff gets mighty slippery when wet as well, so I don't necessarily think that is a solution, although it is a LOT safer to fall on than concrete...

Glad your son was ok! Definitely write a letter and have your concerns noted. BTW - You'll probably find your insurance company will be billed for the ambulance to the hospital. I don't believe there is complimentary Disney ambulance to the ER; at least there wasn't in 2005 when my daughter got a concussion at DD. I was told I could get reimbursed for taxi fare back to the hospital but didn't pursue that.

so glad to hear your DS is ok;I will remember that for our future poly visits. In Feb we were on the wonder and our 5 yr. old DS when coming off the slide at the pool was going back to get back on there is a pole near the bar and before the corner to the stairs leading to the slide;he slipped and ran dead center into the pole-causing him to bite his lip-almost all the way thru,now the ship hasn't even left port yet! We also have 2 rough boys;well DCL was wonderful saw the MD for free and was given a RX for free and I can't tell you how many CM's stopped us periodically to check up on him! We are both nurses and this was all wonderful that it turned out so well! I know how scary it can be to have a child injured on vaca. Please everyone always remember how slippery these areas can be;I am definetly going to make sure that H2O shoes are worn at all times from now on. Take care and sorry for hijacking this thread! Angel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter