In praise of Sanaa

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by phyllis1966, Nov 4, 2012.

1. phyllis1966

phyllis1966 Something witty

Can I just say that our dinner at Sanaa was my favorite of the entire trip! It's been 12 days since that dinner, and I still drool thinking about it...the appetizers, salads and bread service in particular are heavenly. They've changed the bread service a bit since last November, when we last visited: you now receive 5 different breads (only 3 last year), and 5 spreads/toppings....wish I had those right now...

The trio of salads is also delicious, in particular the watermelon salad, but the roasted beet salad and chick pea salad are also terrific, and I'm not normally a fan of beets. For the entree, all 3 of us agreed, as we did last year, that the short ribs are our favorite, with the lamb vindaloo the runner-up.

We were too full for dessert, but we were on the free DP, so I took my tapioca pudding to go. Our server, Amy, showed it to me first, because she wanted me to see the lovely presentation...it remained intact on the bus trip back to the GF, and it was delicious later that night.

Oh, how I wish I could be back there today...

:sunny:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. dvcterry

dvcterry DIS Veteran

I love the watermelon salad. :lovestruc Great food, great restaurant.

4. wdwloverz

wdwloverz Tigger, is that you??

We can't wait to try the bread service and the salad trio in Jan!!
    We have never been, hoping to find a new favorite!

5. Wills Mom

Wills Mom DIS Veteran

Oh thats what I like to hear! We're planning to eat there on our upcoming trip :thumbsup2

6. phyllis1966

I've been craving that watermelon salad so much, that I just sent an email to WDW Communications a few minutes ago, asking for the recipe. I just can't imagine waiting a while year, probably more, just to taste that salad again...

Just an FYI, as to the menu on this site, while it says it was updated in October, it has a few inaccuracies...it doesn't even mention the bread service, or that many of the entrees are a "pick two" deal. All three of us chose the same two, the short ribs (oh my goodness, they are awesome) and the lamb vindaloo (spicy!), which come with a choice of basmati or while grain rice pilaf. Also, no mention of the appetizer for two, which DH and DD shared and enjoyed. It had two small lamb kekftas, roasted cauliflower and something else that I can't remember - they loved it, and DD never eats cauliflower!

Allearsnet has a totally outdated menu.

7. minnie mum

minnie mum Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Sanaa has always been our favourite non-signature restaurant at WDW. We're both looking forward to our dinner there in the spring.

8. nigel-bigel

nigel-bigel DIS Veteran

Isn't the third item a pea samosa?

Nicole

9. MJMcBride

MJMcBride Barely lost is barely found

Sanaa is terrific

the setting is wonderful. I love Kidani.

I had the curry chicken and short rib. I also loved my bread service. amazing

10. billsfan

billsfan Lets Go BUFF-A-LO

the chai cream is an awsome dessert. Right now they only show it on the dessert trio but if you ask you can get a larger size by itself.

11. phyllis1966

I think you're right. They both really enjoyed sharing this appetizer.

12. pigletto

pigletto DIS Veteran

Sanaa was our favourite on our August trip as well:)

The trip before that our favourite was Jiko.

AKL has some wonderful restaurants.:thumbsup2

13. spears2008

spears2008 Earning My Ears

if you could only dine at one AKV restaurant, would you recommend Sanaa? We will have kids with us - ages 2, 4, and 5. I think my kids will be fine wherever we go, but I'm not sure how our friend's children will do.

14. P00H1010

P00H1010 DIS Veteran

Glad you had a great experience :). We loved Sanaa on our last trip...best meal I've had at WDW thus far :thumbsup2!

15. nanienamou

nanienamou Mouseketeer

Sanaa was awesome for us too, only second to Jiko! :thumbsup2 Great food, awesome service, outstanding atmosphere. We will be back for sure. :hyper:

16. phyllis1966

We've eaten at Boma, Jiko and Sanaa a few times each. If I could only choose one AKL restaurant, it would be Sanaa for sure. Not sure how little ones would like it if they're picky eaters. It definitely has a large Indian influence, so the flatbreads and spreads and curries are plentiful. The salads are interesting and not necessarily Indian in style. The entrees, again, are very Indian-inspired, but Americanized so as not to be too "out there," for less adventurous palates.

17. MJMcBride

I think the best AKL restaurant is Jiko Sanaa and Boma are close though

18. Forensicmom

Forensicmom Mouseketeer

We have not eaten at Sanna before but it's on our list for our trip next week and we can't wait. I'm really excited about it. My youngest DD (8) is extremely picky and won't eat most foods. Their children's menu has lots of normal things that I know she will eat. I just copied this from allears.net

Grilled Cheeseburger

Grilled Chicken Breast

Meaty Macaroni

Macaroni and Cheese

Grilled Fish of the Day

Cheese Pizza

19. pigletto

pigletto DIS Veteran

For the adults I would say Jiko. With that many kids, Boma first probably with Sanaa being a close second.
    Jiko is a signature restaurant. The only drawback to our experience there was that the table next to us was a large party with 4 kids who were bored and probably tired. They ran around like crazy and threw several loud tantrums.
    Not suggesting your kids would be like this at all! Just that it really wasn't the place for it and kind of put a damper on the meal.

20. MJMcBride

Both of my kids - 8 & 10 - loved jiko. They loved the food there especially the kids steak option