Immune Disorder - DAS?

Another compromised immune system here! Last trip, I skipped my immunosuppressant medication (under my doctor's care and advice, of course), sanitized the heck out of my hands at appropriate times, avoided as many situations as possible where I'd have to touch people or get close to their faces, and I still ended up getting pneumonia by the last day of the trip. (Collapsing into a heap on the pavement, coughing and crying, does wonders for people giving you space at the Christmas parade. But not eough to let you get through the crowd to the exit!) I think I cracked it, though - the person next to me on the plane from New York to Philadelphia was coughing and sniffling the whole flight, and even though I turned away from her, in retrospect I started feeling a bit under the weather the next day. To make a long story short, next time I'm getting a package of disposable surgical masks and putting one on when I get on the plane. (Naturally, due to security issues I wouldn't wear one in the airport or before boarding, and I'd talk to the flight attendant about it first.) I'd rather look like a dork for a couple of hours than miss part of my vacation to illness again. And, not that I don't trust Mousekeeping, but I'll probably bring some Lysol wipes for around the hotel room, too.

The Japanese wear masks all over I've seen them on planes and in Disney it's actually a good idea I'm going thru some new issues I find out in a few days why I hope. Ive already been warned by my Dr I might need a mask in public
I have had no problem at all looking like a complete dweeb in public with my gloves and my mask. I got a box of N95s on Amazon (we have a prime membership, so I get everything on Amazon, LOL) because I go through so many of them. Anywhere I anticipate a crowd, or being close enough to someone to be "breathed on". If you're close enough for breath, you're close enough for droplet spray. And always at MD offices! The gloves I wear as much as a reminder to myself not to touch my face. I have this mantra, "wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands, don't touch your face" that I tried to teach to everyone to reduce the spread of infection over the years as an RN. That not touching your face thing is the hardest. Try it. Put kids chalk or flour on your fingers and then check your face half an hour later.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards app

Another compromised immune system here! Last trip, I skipped my immunosuppressant medication (under my doctor's care and advice, of course), sanitized the heck out of my hands at appropriate times, avoided as many situations as possible where I'd have to touch people or get close to their faces, and I still ended up getting pneumonia by the last day of the trip. (Collapsing into a heap on the pavement, coughing and crying, does wonders for people giving you space at the Christmas parade. But not eough to let you get through the crowd to the exit!) I think I cracked it, though - the person next to me on the plane from New York to Philadelphia was coughing and sniffling the whole flight, and even though I turned away from her, in retrospect I started feeling a bit under the weather the next day. To make a long story short, next time I'm getting a package of disposable surgical masks and putting one on when I get on the plane. (Naturally, due to security issues I wouldn't wear one in the airport or before boarding, and I'd talk to the flight attendant about it first.) I'd rather look like a dork for a couple of hours than miss part of my vacation to illness again. And, not that I don't trust Mousekeeping, but I'll probably bring some Lysol wipes for around the hotel room, too.

As long as you remove the mask for security to match your ID to you, and don't mind a little extra scrutiny, you can wear a medical mask in the airport and on the plane. I try to get early flights to minimize my need to wear one in the TSA's domain but I wear it pretty much everywhere else. You'll get a few second glances and that's just about it. There are companies that make fun masks.

I'm sitting in California Adventure wearing a black mask and aside from a few confused stares by kids (a few kids today have asked me why and I really appreciate them asking nicely); most people give me a second look and keep on walking. My philosophy is "If you have to wear a mask, might as well have fun with it." Your health is much more important then what some random tourist thinks.

Immunosuppressed here as well! I have extremely low absolute neutrophil count even without any drugs suppressing them and to too it off I am also on immunosuppressants (it makes no sense and perfect sense at the same time haha) so I sport my mask in airports and crowded /confined places. Never had any trouble wearing one the whole time in various airports. So far I haven't even been asked to pull it down when they checked my ID before entering security line (although now I've probably jinxed myself). I do the body scanner, but that's just easier with/my port accessed, not a necessity because of the mask. I have already planned to bling out my own mask on our trip next weekend. We all have to take precautions, but they are life saving! Best to all of my fellow immunosuppressed individuals!

ETA: I also use the makes that basically cover up half of your face--from higher on the nose to under chin. My biggest complaint is that they tend to make my face hot lol

Well, now I'm really jazzed about using masks next time! Maybe I'll get some Disney fabric and sew a few cute ones to alternate with disposables.

I use cloth masks in the winter I never thought of getting Disney fabric to put on it great idea thank you

As I said on here I would report back re getting a DAS for immune issues - I was refused at Epcot and then got one saying exactly the same info at Animal Kingdom. On saying that we didn't really need it for Epcot anyway. But found the staff there very rude and unhelpful. The ones at animal Kingdom were the exact opposite and couldn't be more friendly and helpful. For any futher info re this then feel free to PM me.

As I said on here I would report back re getting a DAS for immune issues - I was refused at Epcot and then got one saying exactly the same info at Animal Kingdom. On saying that we didn't really need it for Epcot anyway. But found the staff there very rude and unhelpful. The ones at animal Kingdom were the exact opposite and couldn't be more friendly and helpful. For any futher info re this then feel free to PM me.

I wonder why CMs in one park are different than another? Areas probably develop a culture, I guess, and attitudes tend to spread like bacteria unfortunately. The first park we go to, but just for a few hours on arrival day, is Epcot. I probably won't even broach the subject until the next day at DHS. Since I'm getting the IVIG now, it's not as critically important that I get a DAS as it was, but I've only had one infusion (getting the second tomorrow), and I'd still like to minimize exposure if I can.

Thanks!

update- I have contacted Disney about this issue and they have assured me that given my issues I should have been given a DAS is every/any park and that the DAS is not just for cognitive types issues at all. I have been given an ID number that will ensure that I do not have trouble getting a DAS again. They are trying to retrain staff over this sort of issue. No one should be in the position of having to try leave queues then get back in relying on CM at rides to assist this.

They also said my daughter should also have been issued with one again for non cognitive issues.

update- I have contacted Disney about this issue and they have assured me that given my issues I should have been given a DAS is every/any park and that the DAS is not just for cognitive types issues at all. I have been given an ID number that will ensure that I do not have trouble getting a DAS again. They are trying to retrain staff over this sort of issue. No one should be in the position of having to try leave queues then get back in relying on CM at rides to assist this.
They also said my daughter should also have been issued with one again for non cognitive issues.

Since it has seemed like inconsistency and misunderstanding have been a problem, this is good news if they really follow through with retraining the staff. Wonder if they can have that training completed in a week and a half (before I get there)? I'm thinking no, LOL! :lmao: Seriously, additional training should be good, right?

Just wanted to post a quick update. Was able to explain the situation to CM in HS quickly and easily, and obtained a DAS. There was no drama and the CM was very understanding and quite nice. I only used it a couple of times since I had FP+ for the major things we wanted to do, and we had several 'premium' events planned that took up time. For the first time (in forever) - sorry, I just had to say that! - i didn't come home from WDW sick!!! Unfortunately, my husband did. He's got a terrible cold. It must be one that I've already had since I haven't gotten it. :upsidedow

I am glad to hear this Jenni. We will be there in January and my husband is also immunosuppressed as he had a liver transplant last year. Will also be using other suggestions to keep him healthy, but am hopefuly a DAS will also help minimize the amount of the time he is in close proximity with scads of people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter