Ima honeymoonin with no money...

Discussion in 'DVC Member Services' started by hundredball, Feb 27, 2010.

1. 5forDiz

5forDiz DIS Veteran

Look into a cruise becaue often there are amazing bargains to be had especially if you book close to sail date and all meals are included. You can do touring on your own instead of purchasing shore excursions and take advantage of activities included on board; be sure to take include tips when figuring what total cost will be. Plan WDW for a future trip, it's so much more than just the parks that you will want to probably do additional onsite activities when you go.

Best wishes to the happy couple :goodvibes

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Pixieflip

Pixieflip Are we there yet?

We had a dream wedding paid for by my parents and a beautiful honeymoon suite at the hotel where we had the reception, also paid for by my parents. Then we had a dream 10 day honeymoon in Hawaii. 3 nights on Oahu. Then 7 nights on Maui for more relaxation. It was heaven.

But we were fresh out of college and it took us 5 years to pay it off. :scared1:

We even admitted to each other on about day 4 on Maui that it didn't really matter where we were because what we were really interested in was going on inside the hotel room. ;) For what we spent on Hawaii, we could have done three trips to WDW!

Be smarter than us. Do what you can afford, it'll still be wonderful!

I totally understand the desire to have the dream honeymoon and appreciate the thought! Hope you can work something out! Pixiedust your way...

4. Lost in Neverland

Lost in Neverland Mouseketeer

When we got married there was no money for anything fancy or a nice honeymoon. To save money we were married at home and took a short trip to the coast for 2 nights. After a couple of years when we both had good jobs we took our dream trip. From experience I promise it will not matter where you go or how long you stay just the fact that you are together. I agree with PP in the fact that the best situation for you is to continue to save your money and then after the dust has settled from the wedding plan your trip together. My husband and I still enjoy the planning as much as the trip and we have been together for almost 20 years. Congratulations and enjoy each other but do not go into debt for a trip just starting out.

5. Mickey'sApprentice

Mickey'sApprentice Shamelessly demand, it works bette

Dh and I went to WDW for 5 days and stayed OFF-PROPERTY on our honeymoon.

As Mom used to say...when you are young and in love -- you can pretty much live just on love. Dh and I actually reminisce about cheap vacations, living in an old tiny house, etc.

There are a lot of things you and your fiance can do to enjoy yourself without spending a lot of money. The key is to think of it as building your future together...and not that you are poor pitiful and broke.

With that said, you can:

stay off property
    stay at Swan or Dolphin
    stay at the value resorts
    pitch a tent at Ft. Wilderness
    pack sandwiches for the parks
    use a crock pot or hot plate for dinner
    pop tarts for breakfast
    drive instead of fly
    take a shorter trip
    honeymoon locally
    honeymoon in your new home with candles, home cooked meals, flowers, etc.

This is your 1st adventure as a married couple. It doesn't matter what you do as long as your fiance is 100% signed on.

Remember that someone investing $XX amount each year from age 21-30 will earn more than someone investing the same $XX each year from age 30-65. In other words, no matter the situation -- its a good idea to save money at this point in your life.

Good luck and congratulations!

6. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Not at Disney World except for DVC villas, Fort Wilderness cabins and All Stars Family suites.

7. twinklebug

twinklebug Thawing out

Congrats on your upcoming graduation and engagement!

I'm not going to lecture you on what to do or when, but will you have time with a new job in your field of study (assuming you have one lined up) to get some money together to rent points? A week in an AKV value studio in low season will cost you at least $1000. This is not including your entertainment (park passes), transportation (even driving costs $), or food. I'm very budget conscious and the cheapest I've ever done Disney (including renting DVC points) is about $800 per person.

My personal thought is that as a new graduate, probably with loans coming due to pay and struggling to land a job, are that you'll be best to hold off until you're in a happier place money wise. You'll have a degree in an excellent field... it'll come, just be patient. :)

8. Crystal_27

Crystal_27 DIS Veteran

I doubt you will get any takers on a payment plan, especially if you're proposing to continue to pay for the points after the trip has already taken place. Once the points are used, they are gone, and if the payments ceased there would be no recourse for the owner.

Since you can afford it after May, why not just take advantage of one of Disney's offers for discounted rooms/packages? :confused:

For what its worth, I'm sure that *anything* that you do is going to be wonderful for your new wife, even if you end up staying at a Value or off-site. What's going to be important is that you have put the thought into making this honeymoon special for her. Either way, best of luck! :goodvibes

9. cseca

cseca <font color=darkorchid>My legs are wimpy but my wi

First off Congrats!
    Secondly I want to chime in on the idea PPs posted. Delay your honeymoon!
    1. You can plan your HM around the cheapest season
    2. You will have the $ by then so you won't be too stressed out.
    3. Your wife will have something exciting to look forward to after the hulabaloo of the wedding is over.

I don't know what your timeframe is but december is a fun time at WDW. The points are low and christmas decor is up. You two can spend your first Christmas season at WDW! Get your first christmas ornament as Mr. & Mrs. (assuming you do christmas).

Anyways, just a thought.
    Regardless have a wonderful wedding and HM!
    Heck better yet, if your job is very secure maybe you could save the $ and put a downpayment for DVC membership as a surprise to your wife ;)

10. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

[Buzzer sound] WRONG ANSWER. DVC is not something to surprise your spouse with unless you are financially secure and able to pay for it completely including all the annual member fees. As a newly wed, recent college grad, newly hired employee, you do not want to tie yourself down to DVC costs until you figure out how to pay for your home, your family, health insurance, medical expenses, etc.

11. gillep

gillep DIS Veteran

Congrats on the marriage:lovestruc

I agree with those who say to wait on the honeymoon. My DH and I were married in my home town (Buffalo NY) and the night of the wedding my mom and her fiance were nice enough to get us a room overlooking Niagara Falls which was wonderful and then we were back to work/grad school that same week. We continued to save up money for a nice honeymoon then decided to buy a house which further delayed our honeymoon, but was well worth it! Finally we were able to take our honeymoon at WDW in January and it was amazing. We stayed a week on property we did the deluxe dining plan with 5 signature restaurants and never said no to any of our wants, whether it be a souvenir or a grey goose slush in france and didn't even worry about finances because we had saved up and it was all well within our budget. Although I see nothing wrong with doing a budget trip for us it was great to plan together and to really go all out even though it didn't happen right after the wedding we still have some magical memories and no regrets!

12. cseca

cseca <font color=darkorchid>My legs are wimpy but my wi

Understand what you're saying. What I meant is to tell his new wife that he has enough $ for DVC "IF" that is something that they are interested in.
    I was under the impression that the soon-to-be wife is the disney person first and then turned him over to the dark side... :lmao:

I agree with what you're saying completely. The basics come before DVC.

But if he's willing to spend $3k on just 1 trip wouldn't it be better to spend it on a DP for small point contracts instead of one trip? :confused3
    Then again that's JMO. :thumbsup2

ps: I'm always under the assumption that people know the basics of money management. As my DH always pointed out, that's rarely the case... so yes, it was not a good advice for newly weds with no steady income/bank account... sorry about that.

13. happymommy

happymommy DIS Veteran

I agree with waiting on your honeymoon, unless you already have a job lined up and have the time planned off between graduation, the wedding, and the job starting up.

We got married in May, Memorial Day weekend, on the Saturday. We stayed in a hotel for the two nights, although had a brunch Sunday morning with family at my folks' house, where we opened gifts. Monday we packed the UHaul and drove to our "new" home (my DH's house, 250 miles away from my home), and Tuesday he started his law review course.

We took our honeymoon in September, after he'd taken the bar exams.

I wish we could have gotten away, but we didn't have the time. We also were on a budget, but really that didn't matter too much. I still don't like to spend a lot when we travel!

One of the most fun trips we had was the year before we got married. We went to Orlando, stayed in Kissimmee at a Residence Inn for $59 a night, cooked in a lot, did Disney parks, and had a blast!!! We were so happy to be together (we lived 250 miles apart for the two years before we got married).

I'd either stay off site or wait. It's hard to give any other advice without knowing the time of the year you're looking at (different times have different options, like slow times sometimes have free dining, which combined with staying at a value resort, can be very reasonable).

14. Mickey'sApprentice

another though...

Port Orleans is very romantic!

Its not a 1 bedroom villa, but it is very nice, and may fit in your budget for a short trip.

15. Shleedogg

Shleedogg DIS Veteran

Where do you live? Can you drive to cut costs? Maybe make a road trip out of it?

Like pps, I don't think any member would allow payments after the date of travel, too risky.

Something to look for on the rent/trade board is last minute price drops. If you can wait until a month or two before the intended date of travel, prices generally drop from the $10 mark down to $7, I've even seen them around $5. You'd probably have to stay at SSR, OKW or AKV though.

I'm not sure when you wedding/honeymoon is, but if it's after you graduate and start earning money, perhaps just holding off as long as possible will get you a cheaper price. Maybe tell your fiance it's a surprise and you'll plan everything. That way, if Disney doesn't work out, you can quickly plan a nice 4 day weekend somewhere close and she won't be disappointed.

Just a word of advise from a somewhat recently married person. If you really can't afford it, don't do it. I know it seems logical to just say "we'll have the money coming in, so we can pay it off later." My DH and I took our honeymoon about a month after our wedding and went to Scotland. It was an amazing trip, but we were in debt from the wedding and honeymoon for 3 years. My parents paid for our airfare and hotel, but there are so many costs in travel that you just don't foresee/take into account. You want to have a wonderful honeymoon, but you don't want to be so stressed about money that you don't enjoy it; or regret putting yourself into debt after the fact.

Congrats on your upcoming marriage, and I hope it all works out for you!!

16. myDISboards

myDISboards Mouseketeer

First, congrats to wedding/honeymoon/career!!

Like other PPs, don't get into debt -OR- wait/save for the honeymoon.

I just queried All-Star Sports resort for 2 adults around $1,515 from June 1 to June 7 with standard room including 7-day-park-tickets-with-park-hopper-and-water-parks-option.

I don't know where you're from so if you can drive to save on airfares....We drive own Odyssey mini-van at least once each year to central florida (about 1,000-miles-each-way with $100 gas).

To save on dining, just some ideas make/pack your own meals such as sandwiches, bring portable thermo for hot water for instant noodles, ask for free ice in the parks for own drinks, etc.

17. Mickey'sApprentice

:thumbsup2