I'm sad, disney on crutches?

WaDiWo

WDWFan!
Hi all!

I need to sulk. While running, and hopefully looking forward to training for my first marathon (the Walt Disney World marathon for this january) :cool1:,
my hip started to bother me and yesterday the orthopedic surgeon diagnosed me with a femoral stress fracture. I'm on crutches now for I don't know how long. :sick:

What hurts is not being able to run.

However, even more immediate future is our vacation coming up in a couple of weeks. We are going on a Disney Cruise!! (the magic out of new york) :wizard:, and also Walt Disney World.

I know there are threads and information about motorized transport devices, etc, but anyone with any experience on either the Cruise or WDW on crutches? should I just stay home? ( I say NO!), but really, can you really get around and enjoy or am I just gonna be hot, sweaty, and frustrated? :confused3

thanks for your help.

Go for the ECV. A rental for your entire trip would give you all of the options you would need. I used an ECV several years ago. I was recovering from chemo and just didn't have the stamina. I didnt use it all the time, but it really saved me. Just the thought of crutches for the entire trip exhausts me.

I hope you heal quickly.

Kim

I would go for the ECV.
I was recently on crutches after foot surgery. Even when using crutches properly, which most people dont, it really starts to hurt your armpits and shoulders!
I have never been on a cruise, so I dont know how much walking there is there. But for the parks, that is a ton of walking, and would be too much for me to think about using crutches!

Another vote for using an ECV. I rent them from off-site vendors. When you rent you can ask for an attachment on the scooter for your crutches so that you can have your crutches available to use if you want to park the scooter for awhile.

Good Luck and have fun.

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!

I would suggest going over to the disABILITIES Forum. One of the first threads is the disABILITIES FAQs. On Post #2 we have a lot of information for people with mobility and/or stamina situations, including fairly detailed information about both on- and off-site rentals of ECVs and wheelchairs. To get directly to the disABILITIES FAQs from here just click on the link in my signature.

Definitely go for the ECV. You would be miserable going all over the parks in crutches. Pixie dust to you for a speedy recovery!

I've done crutches in WDW before, and I was miserable and exhausted the whole time. My arms and armpits were a wreck from all the extra movement, and my badly sprained ankle got more swollen and sore from hanging straight down all day. My good leg at the time was not too happy with taking all the weight and doing all the work for a full day either.

Don't even think about trying to do it on crutches - bring them for transferring, but please get an ECV and have fun! (really sympathize with not being able to run!) :grouphug:

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!!

really made my day. I'll see my doctor next week for a reassessment, and who knows, maybe i can do a little weight bearing, but thanks to you guys I'll look into the ECVs. :thumbsup2

The DISabilities forum is wonderful. The folks thre are warm, encouraging, supportive and knowledgable. Just recently did an ECV for the first time due to a really messed up knee. It saved the trip for me. Even if your doctor green lights "a little weight bearing" (I hope she does), you know that a day at WDW is a whole LOT more than that. Couldn't be easier to rent from the scooter companies. They are very service-oriented.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter