I'm pregnant and due in March 2016! And we have a trip planned in June...

EmilyS90

Mouseketeer
We don't want to cancel, but I'm starting to feel like there's no other solution? We can only go in the summer months, so moving the trip is out. We could shorten the trip, and we thought about upgrading to a moderate to make things more comfortable. And I know about the baby care centers and we'd definitely take mid day breaks. Definitely going to just cancel our plans to go to Universal. It's a 10 day trip, it'll be DH and I, our 5 year old, and now a 2 month old baby. I'm just worried that it would be too much trouble. It's not our first trip, and definitely won't be our last, but obviously I still want it to be a great trip.

Anyone taken a baby that young to Disney, and how did it go??

Last edited:
CONGRATS to you!pixiedust: AWESOME news! :cheer2:I personally would wait for the following summer....Hopefully, you have not purchased airline tickets if you are flying.:scared1:
I would "wait" and allow you to have the summer to "settle" in with your new family! On the plus side, your 5 year old will be one year older and a "bit" more patient!:thumbsup2

We took a trip with an almost 6 month old. He was easy to bring along, but I don't think I'd want to bring a younger baby unless your touring style is very different than ours. I took DS on some of the "all ages" rides (like midway mania, kilamanjaro safari, spaceship earth, transit authority, etc.) and they were too rough and jerky for such little ones, on an otherwise tame ride. I felt like I had to cuddle DS against my chest and support his neck to keep his head/neck from being whipped around.

At just 2 months, and with June weather, I'd be worried about sun protection (too young for wearing most sunscreens, but obviously needs sun protection), overheating/dehydration (since you can only give breastmilk/formula), plus the vaccination/potential exposures that PP's have mentioned.

Congrats!
I have taken a 5 week old (2009), a 4 month old (2012) and a 4 week old (2014). The biggest issue I had was that I was nursing so I left my family and went to the baby care center to nurse the youngest in 2014. That was hard because I was missing out on everything. However at 2 months old I would have been more established in nursing and would have been fine nursing where ever my family was. I really enjoyed our trips when they kids were little because you have awesome interactions with the characters and great pictures to show later. My now 3 year old loves looking at her pictures when she went as a baby in 2012.
I would do it. Because you never know what can happen in a years time that you may not be able to return.
Take your time, go at a normal pace and enjoy the time with your family. Take breaks as you said and be flexible. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Have fun!

Also I wouldn't worry about the vaccination thing. You won't be letting other people hold the baby, as a parent you are going to be washing your hands (a lot) and the threat of something actually being caught it less likely, no more than your local grocery store or mall. My only issue was changing the baby. I preferred the baby care centers when possible just because they had covers you can put down if you don't have any with you.

First of all, congrats on the pregnancy!

Could you move the trip later into the summer? The end of August can be a good time as it seems the crowds aren't as bad as mid-summer.

The youngest baby we took to WDW was 5 months and he was super easy.

I'd just be concerned about if you'll be feeling up for a trip so soon after delivery. With my first two, I would've been fine with a vacation by 2 months (although my first baby was very fussy at that age and it wouldn't have been fun). My third was a different story. He was 10 days late and then I ended up having an emergency C-section. There's no way I would've been up for a big vacation 2 months after his birth.

Our kids all have summer birthdays so their first disney trips were in late fall/winter. I would not have taken them in summer. If you already have a pediatrician or have started finding one, that's a great question for you to ask.

Congrats! I'm also pregnant, due in November. What bothers me is the vaccination aspect. We did the beach at 2 months with our 6 year old but I don't think I'd take a baby that young to disney world. I'm due in November as I said though and our daughter will be 2 months in the middle of flu season.

We took a 12 week old last October! It was a special trip! She was amazing... So easy bc they sleep so much! It was still pretty hot but it worked great for us. We also had a 4 and 7 year old. We took things alittle slower, but not much. I would do it again no question. Main thing is get a good stroller fan and have a good stroller... and I used the ergo alot too. We already had the trip planned before I knew we would have a baby! So naturally we went :earsboy: I actually think it was easier then taking a toddler! Good luck.... You will make the right decision for your family.

I agree with the PP...Make sure you have a stroller fan...it will be SUPER HOT and humid, I actually have 2, one on each side. Taking a ton of breaks also is very important. I live close by, but didn't take either of my kids until they were about 4-5 months because of all the germs, but I have seen lots of tiny babies at Disney over the years. It is doable, just be careful with the heat. :)

Also I wouldn't worry about the vaccination thing. You won't be letting other people hold the baby, as a parent you are going to be washing your hands (a lot) and the threat of something actually being caught it less likely, no more than your local grocery store or mall. My only issue was changing the baby. I preferred the baby care centers when possible just because they had covers you can put down if you don't have any with you.

Pediatricians generally advise against the mall or grocery store until after two months as well. As both pertussis and measles are airborne.

My concern would be there are just too many unknowns that come with a new baby. Will YOU feel up to it that soon after? Maybe if it's an easy delivery. But as someone mentioned, if for any reason you end up with a C-section, you might not be ready. If the baby is an easy one who eats and sleeps, great! But if he/she is anything like my first born and is very, very fussy, needs to be held all the time, etc., etc., it might not be so much fun. It's going to be HOT so do you want to be wearing a newborn all the time? If you can push it to later in the summer, I'd say go for it. At least you'll have more time to settle in. Otherwise, wait until the following summer and think how much fun you'll have with a 1-year-old along!

My oldest was born in March and we took him the first week of June at 12 weeks old since it was my last week of maternity leave and no more vacation time that year. Honestly, it was probably the easiest trip ever with him. My youngest was born in July and we did the same thing, took him my last week of maternity leave which was beg of October. My other DS was 6.5 at the time. For that trip we didn't slow down at all because of DS6. So doing it twice, I would say it really is easy. Both my kids were c-sections and I had major complications after the second and I was fine by the trip. They pretty much eat, sleep, and need to be changed as infants. The photo ops are amazing. There are tons of places to relax and cool off in the parks and the baby care centers are great. Just all around great trips.

I have been there at all ages with my kids (currently 9 and 3 and we go at least 2x a year for a week at a time) and the hardest ages BY FAR for us are 1 year (newly walking) until about 3. The infant trips were a piece of cake!

We're planning to take our newborn with us at the end of October. I've booked just about everything in a refundable or semi-refundable way in case we are unable to go for whatever reason. My wife talked it over with several friends who have taken weeks-old babies, and they reassured her that it was ok and even fun to do it.

If we do get to go as planned, I will try to remember to report back our experience. The baby will be 3-6 weeks old depending on when she decides to come into the world :)

We just did Disney in April with our then 3 month old. It was fine. Yes, it's different and you kind of have to work around the baby's needs.

We have gone every year for the past 7 years and this trip with the baby was just as fun as the others. Our older girls were so excited for their little brother to see Disney. :)

As far as germs, at 2 months, the baby should have his 1st round of shots. I'm pretty sure you're not planning on handing your baby around to strangers right? Lol

We flew with our little guy, he was at Disney for a week and didn't even catch a sniffle. You have just as much exposure at the mall or grocery store at home. Our pediatrician said it was perfectly fine to take him.

I'm more worried about our trip next year....Disney and a Disney cruise...and our little guy will be 15 months and probably trying to walk all over the place! :scared1::faint:

Congrats! My son was born first week of March 2014, and our first family trip (not to Disney) was June of that year, and he was exactly 3 months old when we left. It went really well, but at no point were we more than a 6 hour drive from our house, and we were driving, so we weren't as concerned about airplane germs. I do remember that there was a HUGE difference (for both me and my son) between 2 months and 3 months, and there is no way we would have been ready to do any major traveling as a family at 2 months. 3 months was a completely different story. At 3 months he was only getting up once at night to nurse, and he was nursing at slightly more predictable intervals.

The main concern I would have would honestly be heat - it's hard to keep a baby cool in the summer heat. Our little trip was in New England, and my husband and I remarked multiple times that we were glad we went north for our first "family vacation" instead of south.

I know it sucks, but if it were me, I'd wait and go the following summer. 14/15 months would be a great time to take him! We took our son at 12 months, (just for 2 days at Disney) and it was definitely fun. When he put his mouth on the handle bars on the Winnie the Pooh ride, we weren't as horrified as we would have been at a younger age :-)

Good Luck with your decision. We are thinking about the same thing----Due 12/27 want a trip on 3/27 for my big birthday!. For us the summer is too hot and then the fall is difficult because of school (DD is 9). She will have had her 1st set of shotts, but not MMR...We took DD at 9 months and I did not worry about anything.

All 3 of our kids were born in February or March and all 3 of them made their first Disney trip in June of the same year (3-4 months old). To be honest those were some of the EASIEST trips with kids we have had - now that they are 10, 8 and 6 they are far more work. If you use your head and keep the heat and sun in mind you should be fine. No matter which decision you make people will disagree with you so trust your motherly instincts and do what is right for YOUR family.

Good luck with the decision

Are you flying? I don't think it is wise flying with a baby that young. Airplanes are so germ ridden. Ask any nurse or pediatrician. They won't likely tell you what to do but when my kids get ear infections, the second question my doctor asks is if we have traveled recently. Oftentimes the answer is yes. You will meet lots of people who do fine, but it's a big risk. Unfortunately breastfeeding only transfers antibodies that your body is already producing, so if you go to an unfamiliar environment, there is a reduced immunological benefit.

I know when I was pregnant with my second, I wayyyyy underestimated how having an older child would introduce germs to the baby.

If you are driving, okay, but you will have to stop a LOT. I would just stay at the resort with a baby that little to avoid crowds. And bring a thermometer.

At 6-8 months, travel becomes awesome. They are vaccinated, not quite mobile, and awake/interactive enough to benefit from travel. And nearly all illness can be cured with time, Motrin, and/or a simple antibiotic- no ER likely needed.

Enjoy that precious little one! The time is so short- before you know it, you'll be globetrotting with as little care as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!