"I"m Only Going Because My Teacher Told Me To" Nov. 2016 PTR * update 12/2 TRIP REPORT STARTED! *

One Week Till Disney!!
and less than 3 months!!!

See, I had to go back to the green for a second to refer to my original Nov. trip lol. But on to next Saturday!! Today I went to NJ to meet up with all my college friends (I went to college in NJ) and of course they're all jealous of my adults only getaway, with the exception of my 2 friends with no kids! It's always great getting together with the whole group but this time was even more special as my friend Amy is pretty preggers. It's been quite some time since I've had a pregnant friend! Pregnant relatives yes, but at 45 your pregnant friends are few and far between :) She actually looks better with this pregnancy than she did with her first two!! The more we talked about my trip the more excited I got. So two things about this trip:

1. As @Jfsag123 now knows, neither Steve nor I have ever been on Ellen's Energy Adventure :o Now that it's closing this will be a must-do for us next week. Works out well that it'll be hot; gives us a nice break! Off hand I can't remember if they've given a closing date, but I'm kind of hoping it's still open for our Nov. trip so the kids can experience it.

2. A couple days ago Steve asked if I wanted to stay in a hotel Friday night since we have to leave home so early Sat. morning to get to the airport. I think I mentioned this in the very beginning of this PTR, but we're flying out of Hartford, CT because that's where we got the best rate. It's about a 2 hour drive from here so we have to leave about 4:45am. I'm a terrible sleeper and he thinks if we stay at a hotel 5 mins from the airport I'll get more sleep. We wouldn't get to the hotel until about midnight though because he works until 9-9:30 Fri. nights making pizza at his friends restaurant, so I figure maybe I'd be asleep by 1? But we wouldn't have to leave the hotel until almost 7 so I could feasibly get 5 hours of sleep. At home I'd probably get up by 3:30 just to make sure everything was in order before we left and I doubt I'd be sleeping before 11:30-12.......thinking staying in a hotel in Hartford would work out better. I hate the thought of leaving the boys a few hours earlier even though that sounds stupid since the majority of those hours we'd all be sleeping!

Now for November!

1. I kept thinking about our Tokyo Dining ADR and the menu change there. A few days ago I checked their menu on both Allears and the Disney site and they're still different. So I showed Chris that menu and a couple others since he was with me -Skippers Canteen and Chefs de France. He actually got a little excited over both Skippers and Chefs! So at dinner that night I told Ricky and Steve; Ricky asked what was on those menus but didn't want to take the time to look at them :sad2: but Chris remembered a few things and Ricky also seemed ok with either. I told them since Steve and I are eating at Skippers next week we'll see what we think, and when we're back I'll pick that or Chefs. We ate at Chefs back in 2012 and liked it; it wasn't mind blowing which is why we haven't been back but really it wasn't bad in any way and I'm not against going again.

2. I think I'm going to have to take another look at what I had planned as far as AK in Nov. I know I haven't posted our day by day itinerary yet, but I was planning a late afternoon/evening there, assuming something would be going on at night. Now that it's a definite JB won't be, but NOT definite ROL WILL be, I'm thinking the actual hours won't be solid until way after I make our FP's next month and we may or may not want/need as much time. So how I rearrange AK for Nov. will depend on what Steve and I think of EE/Safari at night, the Tree of Life awakenings, and some of the street entertainment that I *think* begins in like late afternoon. I know none of you will have sympathy for me, but it's kind of a pain planning more than 1 trip at a time :rolleyes1

That's all for now! Taking the boys and a few friends to our local waterpark tomorrow to try and squeeze as much $$ out of our season passes as I can. Last year they went multiple times a week but this year, Ricky especially has almost zero interest which stinks because he can go alone with friends! I'm not a fan of water parks and don't enjoy going, but Chris and his friends are obviously too young to go without an adult. So myself and a few other moms occasionally go together and then take turns sucking it up for the others and taking the kids alone lol.
Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend :sunny:

I'll trip you up again - I've never done Mission: Space or Star Tours, either :hyper2: I know!! I get motion sick pretty easily including on Soarin' so the idea of both of those rides make me nervous, on top of the no SW interest. Ellen we've actually considered before but it's always a time crunch thing :oops: Now I feel like a loser that there are 3 attractions I've never done lol. Maybe besides Ellen I'll try ST........
I've never done MS or ST either. I have the motion sickness thing going on too. Soarin is tolerable but I feel it there too!

I've never done MS or ST either. I have the motion sickness thing going on too. Soarin is tolerable but I feel it there too!
Yes I feel Soarin is tolerable, but unfortunately I've kept my eyes shut for most of it both times I've ridden it :( I've made sure to open for the castle at the end though! I do want to see the new version, just not sure how much I'll actually see lol.

I think the hotel the night before is a great idea! I hope you are able to get some sleep! It will be here before you know it!!

As far as the dining and AK, I hope this trip gives you some answers for November! Enjoy the water park!

Yay one week :cool1:

Even though there's night hours in AK when we go (kind of) I've heard rumors they might not do the nighttime stuff anymore which I hope aren't true.

I'm also thinking of eating at Chefs for my birthday trip next year the mac and cheese looks good.

I'm not a fan of waterparks either :crazy2:

I also have yet to go on Ellen's Energy Adventure but will do it sometime this week for sure, worst case it is a nice escape from the heat.
I had a fantastic meal at Skipper Canteen last week so I hope you guys enjoy it!
I am sure AK will be busier during your November visit but at the moment the evenings are so empty you don't even need any fastpasses.

One week away! How exciting! I think staying at the hotel the night before is a great idea, especially if you wouldn't be asleep anyway.
We are debating Mission Space as a FP too. I'm not sure how the kids or I will do and I don't want to be sick the rest of the day. My FIL did Mission Space Orange and came off green. He actually had to take some aspirin and head back to the hotel. I have gotten a bit woozy on Soarin'. If you try Mission Space next week let me know how it goes.
We are also stumped about what to plan with AK. I keep trying to tackle down our days and if RoL is running we want to try and go to AK in the evening. I don't even think "they" know if it will be running.
As far as Ellen, our kids liked it. It is a long ride and we used it to let our young one nap. If you have 45 minutes to burn, why not? Right?
I hope you enjoyed the watermark.

Do you guys have dept. stores that we don't have in the U.S., or do you just not have many dept. stores, period? Just curious because I know you said there isn't a Kohl's close to you, either. Well, at least you have Hot Topic now!

We don't really have a lot of department stores. Target was here for awhile, but they did a terrible job and only lasted about 2 years before pulling out of Canada (the shelves were always empty, their prices were really high, they seemed really unorganized...). We also do not have JC Penny, Kohl's, K-Mart, etc. Our biggest one would be Hudson's Bay (which is actually the oldest company in all of North America - it started as a fur-trading company back in 1670). It carries a lot of high-end stuff, similar to Saks Fifth Ave and they are also the ones responsible for dressing our Olympic athletes for the past few years (and the ones responsible for creating the iconic Canada mittens that went viral during the 2010 Olympics - they now create a new design of them each year and sell them for $12, with a portion of the proceeds going to the Canadian Olympic athletes).

Simons is a Quebec-owned department store that is now in Alberta as well, I really like it. They mainly sell clothes, with some home stuff (towels, bedding, etc) as well. You can go there and buy a $50 jacket or a $1000 jacket, so it's all over the place.

The official announcement just came last week that Edmonton (the city where I live) is getting a Nordstrom Rack, but not until the fall of 2018.

We do have Marshalls here, and Winners (where I bought my Disney Vans backpacks) is owned by that same company - it's basically the Canadian version of TJ Maxx (which we don't have).

Also - How exciting that you are so close to your adults trip! I can't wait to read the trip report when you get back!

Even though there's night hours in AK when we go (kind of) I've heard rumors they might not do the nighttime stuff anymore which I hope aren't true.
If enough of t he nighttime stuff is cool - and we'll decide for ourselves on Sunday - then I really hope they keep the park open for at least a couple hours once the sun goes down after JB ends! I would assume at some point ROL has to debut, right lol? So hopefully they'll keep the tree of like awakenings going until then and as long as the park is open past sundown they may as well keep the night safari running. I'm actually most excited to ride EE at night!

I also have yet to go on Ellen's Energy Adventure but will do it sometime this week for sure, worst case it is a nice escape from the heat.
After your CP you'll have no excuse for not having ridden any ride/attraction in any park!

I had a fantastic meal at Skipper Canteen last week so I hope you guys enjoy it!
Glad to hear you liked it! When it first opened the reviews were mixed but lately all seem positive. I'm really looking forward to it :goodvibes Bummed about your schedule for our visit though :(

I am sure AK will be busier during your November visit but at the moment the evenings are so empty you don't even need any fastpasses.
Good to know about not needing FP's and the low crowds, although that's what I've heard anyway. Thanksgiving week will most likely make it busier than now but if ROL hasn't opened, maybe not much......

One week away! How exciting! I think staying at the hotel the night before is a great idea, especially if you wouldn't be asleep anyway
Yup, made the decision last night to stay in a hotel in Hartford Fri :thumbsup2

My FIL did Mission Space Orange and came off green. He actually had to take some aspirin and head back to the hotel. I have gotten a bit woozy on Soarin'. If you try Mission Space next week let me know how it goes.
I will definitely let you know. LOL about your FIL coming off green! I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time though and that's my fear; feeling so sick that I have to leave the park or just can't enjoy anything else for the rest of the day. But I hate having attractions I haven't tried!

We are also stumped about what to plan with AK. I keep trying to tackle down our days and if RoL is running we want to try and go to AK in the evening. I don't even think "they" know if it will be running
And I don't think truer words have been spoken :worship: Ricky's friends' Uncle (yeah, I know how that sounds!) works for Disney and has been working on ROL for awhile now. His friends is currently at his Uncle's house in Fla. and I told his friends mom to try getting the inside scoop on ROL while they're down there. If I receive any info I will without a doubt report that here!

We do have Marshalls here, and Winners (where I bought my Disney Vans backpacks) is owned by that same company - it's basically the Canadian version of TJ Maxx (which we don't have).
Well Marshalls isn't bad, just kind of hit or miss as far as finding what you want. Not as good as Kohl's or Penneys! At least it doesn't sound like your completely without shopping options lol

Also - How exciting that you are so close to your adults trip! I can't wait to read the trip report when you get back!
I know I'm so excited!!! I will do a mini-trip report within my PTR :thumbsup2

I like your plan for a hotel the night before. And I will completely sympathize with the trouble with planning 2 trips at the same time (even though I'm also jealous). For a while we were planning on going to Disneyland in July right after our trip to WDW in June because MIL is getting remarried in Anaheim. However, she ended up moving the wedding date to October so now only DH can go since it's in the middle of the school year. During the time when I was trying to plan both it was really rough. I felt like such a whiny first world problem-having brat when I complained about it, but it was hard keeping everything straight!

I'll trip you up again - I've never done Mission: Space or Star Tours, either :hyper2: I know!! I get motion sick pretty easily including on Soarin' so the idea of both of those rides make me nervous, on top of the no SW interest. Ellen we've actually considered before but it's always a time crunch thing :oops: Now I feel like a loser that there are 3 attractions I've never done lol. Maybe besides Ellen I'll try ST........

OMG! I'm familiar with the Mission: Space issue now and will totally validate it, but no Star Tours??? That one hurts. ;) I love that ride - went on it 3 times in June lol. And Soarin' hurts as well. I'm sorry they give you both trouble!

Ah so I had to make my way over to your PTR here now that I realize how little time you have left until your trip. Adults only trips are just SO awesome...have a great time! Staying in the hotel the night before sounds like a great idea as well.

Let me know about Skippers Canteen as that's one I've also been thinking about looking into booking in the future. Not sure I can make it happen for November though.

I like your plan for a hotel the night before. And I will completely sympathize with the trouble with planning 2 trips at the same time (even though I'm also jealous). For a while we were planning on going to Disneyland in July right after our trip to WDW in June because MIL is getting remarried in Anaheim. However, she ended up moving the wedding date to October so now only DH can go since it's in the middle of the school year. During the time when I was trying to plan both it was really rough. I felt like such a whiny first world problem-having brat when I complained about it, but it was hard keeping everything straight!
Oh man that stinks that she changed the date to October :( My stepson is engaged and is finally starting to seriously look at setting a date since they just bought their house and are settled. His fiancée wants a June wedding and they're also thinking a destination wedding (did I suggest WDW? I might have.....) and I'm concerned it'll interfere with Ricky's regents finals.

Ah so I had to make my way over to your PTR here now that I realize how little time you have left until your trip. Adults only trips are just SO awesome...have a great time! Staying in the hotel the night before sounds like a great idea as well.

Let me know about Skippers Canteen as that's one I've also been thinking about looking into booking in the future. Not sure I can make it happen for November though.
Thank you for stopping by! I've considered changing the title of this PTR to something like, "an Aug. and Nov. PTR" but only think of it when I'm not on the Dis :rolleyes: Definitely going to do a smallish TR within a PTR when we get back and I'll fill you in on Skippers! And we've booked our hotel for the night before :thumbsup2

It's Getting Closer Every Day!

Yup it is! I started making a packing list yesterday while sitting at the chiropractors of the outfits I want to bring. Once I got to 12 outfits I realized I need to cut some out if I want to downsize how much luggage I bring! Think I've got a handle on it now, we'll see later tonight and tomorrow when I actually start putting things in the suitcase..........otherwise just a few odds and ends:

1. Got an interesting phone call yesterday from Amanda at Disney Guest Services. Well, Steve did. She was calling about our upcoming stay at WL and wanted to know if we had any questions or concerns regarding the refurb going on. We don't since I'm an awesome Diser and am totally up on it :D. But I thought it was pretty cool that they called. We've stayed at AKL, Poly, an BWV when a refurb of some type was going on and other than the standard issue refurb letter, have never received a call. Nice little touch!

2. Booked our hotel room for Friday night in Hartford :thumbsup2 Again this was Steve and I didn't ask which hotel he booked because I was in the middle of watching one of my shows when he said he booked it and I can't be interrupted when my shows are on! Since it's not a Disney hotel, TV takes precedence.

3. Mom texted me earlier this morning that she's home from work today with a stomach bug :sick: Hopefully it's a 24 hour thing or even a 48 hour thing and she's feeling better quickly! Not just because she's staying here starting Friday night, I don't like when mom is sick. We can always get one of my stepsons to stay here Friday but I'll feel better going if she's feeling better.

4. Unfortunately @Carathryn has off the 2 days we'll be in Epcot where she's working on the CP :( How dare they give her off 2 days in a row lol! Maybe we'll still run in to each other but if not, there's always November!

5. Our 9a.m. ADR at Trails End is an hour before Kari and family's @kastoney on Sunday morning, so we're hoping to run in to each other. Yay for Dismeets!!

6. Not trip or Disney related at all, but yesterday morning Ricky had orientation for 9th grade. It hasn't hit me yet that he's going into high school, probably because I'm refusing to accept it! He still seems so young and still seems to need me so much (or so I like to think)! When it came time to walk around the school and locate his classrooms, he ditched me and walked around with a friend and a bunch of girls :sad1: Okay he didn't actually ditch me, us moms were trailing them but they were walking so fast and it was ungodly hot in that school, so two other moms and I decided to hang in an air-conditioned classroom and chat while they roamed the halls. I think it'll hit me on the first day, when I have to wake him up almost an hour earlier than last year to catch the bus at the ridiculous time of 6:33 a.m. What makes it worse is that I have to get up almost an hour earlier than last year to get him up to catch that bus!! Me likes me sleep!!!

Now I'm off to start making the house presentable for mom's stay and possibly do some packing in between running kids everywhere :car:

It's all coming together! And the bringing-too-many-outfits struggle is real. Exciting that it's time to start packing!

I hope your mom feels better. :(

And I know what you mean about the difficulty of seeing your kiddos grow up. When we went to Meet the Teacher night, my daughter immediately ditched me when she saw a friend. It's nothing compared to going into high school (going ahead and deciding on completely falling apart at that point), but I miss when they would shyly stick with me in a new situation like that.

Have a great trip!

Pofq sent me a letter about the refurb to Saussagoula which I knew about before I booked but I thought it was very considerate.

It's Getting Closer Every Day!

Yup it is! I started making a packing list yesterday while sitting at the chiropractors of the outfits I want to bring. Once I got to 12 outfits I realized I need to cut some out if I want to downsize how much luggage I bring! Think I've got a handle on it now, we'll see later tonight and tomorrow when I actually start putting things in the suitcase..........otherwise just a few odds and ends:

1. Got an interesting phone call yesterday from Amanda at Disney Guest Services. Well, Steve did. She was calling about our upcoming stay at WL and wanted to know if we had any questions or concerns regarding the refurb going on. We don't since I'm an awesome Diser and am totally up on it :D. But I thought it was pretty cool that they called. We've stayed at AKL, Poly, an BWV when a refurb of some type was going on and other than the standard issue refurb letter, have never received a call. Nice little touch!

2. Booked our hotel room for Friday night in Hartford :thumbsup2 Again this was Steve and I didn't ask which hotel he booked because I was in the middle of watching one of my shows when he said he booked it and I can't be interrupted when my shows are on! Since it's not a Disney hotel, TV takes precedence.

3. Mom texted me earlier this morning that she's home from work today with a stomach bug :sick: Hopefully it's a 24 hour thing or even a 48 hour thing and she's feeling better quickly! Not just because she's staying here starting Friday night, I don't like when mom is sick. We can always get one of my stepsons to stay here Friday but I'll feel better going if she's feeling better.

4. Unfortunately @Carathryn has off the 2 days we'll be in Epcot where she's working on the CP :( How dare they give her off 2 days in a row lol! Maybe we'll still run in to each other but if not, there's always November!

5. Our 9a.m. ADR at Trails End is an hour before Kari and family's @kastoney on Sunday morning, so we're hoping to run in to each other. Yay for Dismeets!!

6. Not trip or Disney related at all, but yesterday morning Ricky had orientation for 9th grade. It hasn't hit me yet that he's going into high school, probably because I'm refusing to accept it! He still seems so young and still seems to need me so much (or so I like to think)! When it came time to walk around the school and locate his classrooms, he ditched me and walked around with a friend and a bunch of girls :sad1: Okay he didn't actually ditch me, us moms were trailing them but they were walking so fast and it was ungodly hot in that school, so two other moms and I decided to hang in an air-conditioned classroom and chat while they roamed the halls. I think it'll hit me on the first day, when I have to wake him up almost an hour earlier than last year to catch the bus at the ridiculous time of 6:33 a.m. What makes it worse is that I have to get up almost an hour earlier than last year to get him up to catch that bus!! Me likes me sleep!!!

Now I'm off to start making the house presentable for mom's stay and possibly do some packing in between running kids everywhere :car:

Hope your mom gets to feeling better. Being sick's no fun at all :(. And I hope you have an AWESOME trip!!!

Have a great trip! I look forward to the trip report when you return :)
hooray! have a great time.
Thanks guys! I intend to have a good time ;)

It's all coming together! And the bringing-too-many-outfits struggle is real. Exciting that it's time to start packing!

I hope your mom feels better. :(

And I know what you mean about the difficulty of seeing your kiddos grow up. When we went to Meet the Teacher night, my daughter immediately ditched me when she saw a friend. It's nothing compared to going into high school (going ahead and deciding on completely falling apart at that point), but I miss when they would shyly stick with me in a new situation like that.
Spoke with mom briefly a couple hours ago and she's feeling a tad better :) Might take another day off from work tomorrow but should be all good by Thursday.
At least Christopher is still admitting to missing me when Steve and I go away! He started today; followed me around the house, asked a few times exactly when we're leaving and why we have to go Fri. night instead of Sat., giving me a few extra hugs :goodvibes Ricky on the other hand is going to a pool party Friday night from 5-11 so won't even be eating dinner with me and is completely fine with that because the alternative involves girls in bikinis......

Have a great trip!

Pofq sent me a letter about the refurb to Saussagoula which I knew about before I booked but I thought it was very considerate.
Yes I've gotten those letters for all our stays at resorts being refurbed. Just never a phone call!

Hope your mom gets to feeling better. Being sick's no fun at all :(. And I hope you have an AWESOME trip!!!
Oh believe me, I know about being sick! Last year on our Nov. Disney trip I got the stomach bug ON Thanksgiving day which really put a damper on our plans lol. Luckily by this evening she was feeling a bit better :thumbsup2 Thank you for the good wishes! Yours is close now, too!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter