I'm not a snob - honest!!!

Discussion in 'UK Trip Planning Forum' started by mickeyforpresident, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident DIS Veteran

Well maybe a little, and this thread is going to come across as totally rediculous, but you've never really judged before........

We've just booked for next summer, but becuase of money issues, we are flying economy (with Virgin). We've never flown economy before and I'd really like to know what to expect.......

Can you let me know your opinions?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. disneyholic family

disneyholic family <font color=teal>Wayne always catches me<br><font

i've never flown economy with virgin - actually, i've never flown with virgin...
    but in general, economy sucks a bit after you've flown something better..
    HOWEVER, if the choice is between economy and not going at all - well, that's a no-brainer....economy it is...
    you'll get there at the same time as the other classes.....you'll be a lot less comfortable and all of that...
    but really, it's only how many hours? you'll survive..perhaps less happily than you might have otherwise...
    but on the up side, you'll be with mickey....

my only advice, try to get up and walk around a bit, if possible...
    it's good to keep your blood circulating..

4. Bigbluebear

Bigbluebear Mouseketeer

Just be thankful that your money issues are allowing you to still go to florida.

Who cares how you get there, plenty of folk with money issues cant afford to go anywhere never mind to florida for a holiday.

You get a seat, you get fed, you get to watch a couple of films, you get off the plane in the same place as you would if you went first class or whatever its called.

Personally i wouldnt spend the extra money to fly with Virgin. Cheaper companys still get you to the same place.

5. stoneyloon

stoneyloon Mouseketeer

Virgin's economy is better than some others.
    I'll never fly with the likes of Thomas Cook or First Choice again, I found them far too uncomfortable for a trans-atlantic flight but Virgin was OK.

6. Dimplenose

Dimplenose <font color=red>Stranger from the outside<br><font

Prepare to be squashed, bumped into and not get your choice of meal. Then once you arrive get off the plane, forget the flight and have a great holiday.

7. Sweet Pea UK

Sweet Pea UK DIS Veteran

Hi Mickeyforpresident

We are at the GF for 3 weeks as well in August - what dates are you going?

8. dizneygib

dizneygib Earning My Ears

Well put it this way you will see more animals than you ever will in th Animal Kingdom.............only kidding:rotfl2:

9. Neoshoegal

Neoshoegal would rather be in Walt Disney World

Imagine it like a long coach/bus journey but you do have a little tv in front of you. Compared to UC or business it is really a bummer, but as others have said, you get there at the same time albeit probably not quite as rested.

10. natalielongstaff

natalielongstaff <font color=deeppink>I need a cup of tea and a big

We take that approach ;)

11. Muscateer

Muscateer DIS Veteran

That's how they call it cattle class:lmao:

12. T16GEM

T16GEM <font color=blue>I must have a funnel cake when I'

:rotfl:

Well if it were a choice of not going or going Econ then I would say I would rather go and put up with it for 8 hours.
    We have only ever flown econ and it's not a huge problem for us, I'd rather have the extra money to spend when we get there - as for being rested - with a 4 year old and a 2 year old it's never gonna happen where ever we sit! ;)

13. stoneyloon

stoneyloon Mouseketeer

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl2::lmao:

14. Elise79

Elise79 Moderator Moderator

Ok we have flown PE and Econ on Virgin. All our recent flights have been PE. I took DD for a walk around the plane in March as she woke up early on the return flight and to keep her quiet I had to walk - well it was a shock walking through Econ I had forgotten how close the seats are and how many people are in the one space!

However having said that - if I had a choice between Econ and not going I would fly econ. I wouldn't fly charter into Sanford though - not that its an option as we go for strange numbers of nights which they just don't cater for anyway.

We have been totally spoilt by PE. :lmao:

15. Emimy

Emimy Mouseketeer

I've only ever flown Economy... and to be honest I don't think it's all that bad. I last flew with First Choice and I honestly thought their economy seats were fantastic! But then, I've never flown anything else so I don't go expecting all kinds of luxuries anyway. I once flew Travel City Direct economy, and that was really awful - but I would expect Virgin would be a lot better.

16. mickeyforpresident

Hey Sweet Pea

We leave Manchester on August 1st for two weeks!!! The GF is wonderful - we went for three weeks in 2008 and loved it, so can't wait to go back!!!!! When are you going?

17. mickeyforpresident

Thanks for the replies. We've only ever flown PE before, and the last time we went to Washington DC, we flew upper - which was the best experience ever!!!!!

Oh well - it'll get us there!!!!

18. wideeyes

wideeyes <font color=purple>Won't use fake tan, wants to st

That is the positive thinking:)

I would rather go PE in Jan however it is econ or not go at all so easy choice. (though I am hoping that virgin will the upgrades for £150 at the airport;))

19. Tinks1984

Tinks1984 <font color=red>We're having a mini party!<br><fon

Me personally, I have only ever flown economy, so wouldn't know any difference. I've never had a bad flight so far, so I'm obviously not as bothered, as long as I know where I'm going to end up.

I always think that I'm very lucky either way to even be heading there, there are many kids/adults who'd love to go there and probably never will. I'm thankful that I've even had one trip, let alone the other 4 that have/will follow :lovestruc

20. Obi Wan Kenobi

Obi Wan Kenobi DIS Veteran

went economy about 20 years ago, was a horrendous trip. Vowed bnever again and thats been my line since then.
    If I can't afford to go in comfort then I won't go. But then I am not so Disney obsessed as some :goodvibes and the journey is as much of the holiday as the place itself, whether it be Florida (Disney or no disney) or any other place in the world.
    There are some who go to Disney property every year, never leave the resort, catch the ME to and from the resport and to many of those, if they could go in better conditions they would, but so long as it gets them to WDW they really don't care what the 8/10/12 hours are like (I would say, the perfect passengers for a no frills Ryanair style airline) But to me I would rather go to say, Europe in comfort (no, not Disnyland Paris, but Spain, Portugal, Germany etc etc) than to Florida in discomfort.

Each to their own I guess.

21. Kath2003

Kath2003 DIS Veteran

Good grief. It's economy, not the deep dark depths of hell.

Flown PE and economy and there is NO WAY that I would be prepared to pay for PE. Economy is fine. You get a TV. I have always gotten my choice of meal. I have rarely been bumped into. I have on the whole sat with very pleasant people including random strangers. The staff have always been courteous and pleasant. My seat has always been clean. Drinks have always been plentiful.

My experience of PE was that it is slightly more roomy, slightly quieter and there are slightly fewer people per toilet. :rotfl:

Journey for me is simply a means of getting there. I could spent the upgrade money getting a better hotel, where I will spend two weeks rather than just ten hours. Or it could pay for my dining, part of my park tickets etc. If you accept that it's not going to be the most enjoyable day of your life, suck it up and just get on with it, it's fine! Take a good book :thumbsup2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.