"I'm NOT a Princess, I'm Izzy!" - May '15 Land/Sea ~ Updated 6/4: Link to Disneyland TR!!!

Pirate Party

Dug and I got changed (“dressed up”) for our dinner at Palo. My PTR followers helped me to decide on this old dress I had (holding Izzy's nursery bag, in case you're wondering, not carrying a Winnie the Pooh purse :laughing:):

And, yes, there is a ton of stuff from the Fish Extenders on that counter…we didn’t bring all those snacks and stuff ourselves.

We packed a small bag for Izzy’s evening at the nursery (as seen above) and then headed up to the pool deck area to watch the little pirate night show with the characters. There is another “main” pirate night show later that we’d likely miss while at Palo, but we were okay with that, knowing that Izzy would be much more interested in the one that included Minnie. ::MinnieMo

The crew was starting to gather as the 7:45pm start time drew near (we went up to the rail of deck 12, above the pool deck):

Waiting for the show to start:

Dug apparently was into artsy waterslide/sunset shots:

Soon enough, the action started. I didn’t take a single photo, because Dug took about 700 (okay, not quite :rolleyes:), so here’s a selection that will give you a pretty good overview of the show:

I think this guy and other CMs played some part or led some games? I don’t really remember:

Izzy wanted to be held most of the time (while she held Birdie):

A very brief video clip:

(click to watch)

Uh, this doesn’t look good :scared::

But, you know, there was a patented Disney happy ending and we all went on our merry little ways. :) And Dug got one more artsy shot of the waterslide:

The show was fun, but nothing terribly memorable. Lots of singing and dancing and people had a good time, though. There was a couple next to us without kids that was just having a blast, which was really cute. :goodvibes Izzy enjoyed it and danced around a bit when I wasn’t holding her (and kept scaring me by dangling Birdie between the deck rails! :scared:) Glad we checked out the show, but nothing to plan a cruise around.

After that, we headed back to the nursery to drop Izzy off. Despite the fact that she had so much fun earlier that she didn’t want to leave, she wasn’t at all excited to go back. :sad2: She went along with it anyway, though. As we arrived (around 8pm), the kids were all starting to wind down and Izzy actually followed suit. :eek: And this is where my notes come in handy and you can see how poor my memory is after all this time: I was thinking she never napped in the nursery, but she actually slept at the nursery this evening! :cool1: I think this was the only time she did actually fall asleep there, but she slept almost the whole time she was there that evening. Nothing like a little peer pressure (other kids going to sleep) to persuade her, I guess. Yay for sleep!

We checked in at Palo right on time at 8:30pm. We waited to be seated in Meridian, the same lounge we’d gotten a drink from the night before. We both took a couple pictures. Dug’s photos:

And mine:

Clearly, we both were fascinated by the luggage booths. :rotfl:

We were soon led inside to our table:

A violinist was serenading the room :charac2::

Up next: Palo presents our dinner!

Glad things worked out with the dress you picked - it looks nice!

That's cool they had 2 shows though on Pirate Night - even if this one wasn't anything special I am sure Izzy enjoyed it and nice to get to see something "special" but not have to plan your entire night around it

Nice artsy pictures by Dug! I definitely get to that point after like 700 normal pictures to try something artsy

Those luggage" are pretty cool! Can't wait to hear about your Palo meal!

Your posts definitely make me want to cruise again with our kiddos! You're right- we placed a Place Holder for our next cruise- it was $250/stateroom, fully refundable, and must be used in the next 2 years. We plan to go in 2018- when DS2 will be 3! It's 10%off and the state room credit, but there are black out dates. :(

You two clean up nice! Both looking very sharp!

The luggage booths are cool. Kind of a unique touch.

The violinist reminds me of a time when my husband and I were young and dating. We went to a fancy restaurant where a violinist stayed at our table a rather long time. We didn't know if we were supposed to tip him to get him to leave. I think we were even discussing it while he was standing there playing his violin!

R%20Castaway%20-%201_zpsxnwhlt6v.jpg

Perhaps her future?!

At some point during the meal, Izzy said she had to go potty. I took her out and this is when we discovered how obnoxious it is to have a potty training toddler in a 1-piece swimsuit under regular clothes. :headache: She was not at all happy about taking her arms out of her shirt to get the swimsuit off. And, of course, she didn’t actually go after all this. :rolleyes: I ended up taking her back to the bathroom once more a bit later and this time she just completely lost her mind at the prospect of getting things off, refusing to go entirely. And, in fact, she never actually did go potty that entire morning. :sad2: (And, yes, the most recent swimsuit I bought her is two pieces, so we don't have to deal with something like that again).

Oh geez, didn't even think about what a nuisance that would be during potty training! Aren't you glad it's all done though?!

In case you are wondering, at some later point in our cruise I discovered that it was in the little slot by the door that keeps the lights on. Oops. :blush:

I was seriously thinking that it may have been there, because we pulled this exact same thing on our first cruise, but definitely remembered for our second :thumbsup2

Guess those people were already getting back on the ship? :confused:

He actually looks pretty excited about going back onboard?! :rotfl::confused3

Uh oh, I see something a-brewing.

Here’s the video, which mostly consists of everyone yelling Izzy’s name in an attempt to get her to look at the camera:rotfl::

:lmao:

The food was good enough

I said this on another TR, but the food there was amazing! And I think it was because after a long day in the sun, water and drinking at Castaway, any food sounds good :laughing:

So, we decided to cut our losses on Castaway and just stay onboard to enjoy the Dream and do some laundry. Exciting, I know. :rolleyes:

Hey, doing pretty much anything without a kid is a good date time :rotfl:

I checked the laundry room on our floor first and it only had two washers in it – one of which was in use and the other had a load of wet clothes sitting in it. :sad2:

And this is when the app they have at WDW comes in handy!

nd watched some parasailing:

You've got to try this sometime. We did this on our first cruise and LOVED it! It was so cool!

If you know this game as Duck, Duck, Goose – you are NOT a Minnesotan. We take our Duck, Duck, Gray Duck VERY seriously here. :lmao: Really, even Buzzfeed agrees:

:rotfl2::rotfl:Seriously!? :lmao:

All we had to do was put down a deposit (20%, I think, and 10% for a 7-night+) and using the Disney Visa made it interest free as well (for 6 months). The incentives were a 10% fare discount and $100 onboard credit for the next cruise (more onboard credit for a longer cruise). C

Those are actually great incentives! Our only offer (but this was 5 years ago) was 10% off and a small OBC. Love that if you use the Visa, you can get 6 months interest free.:thumbsup2

Pirate Stitch is awesome!

Here she is playing with it (and I apparently tried to get us in the pirate mood with some Yo Ho…oh, funny story – so, Izzy and her daycare crew take walks sometimes and the daycare provider lets the kids pick the songs they listen to while they walk. She told me that Izzy always picks Yo Ho on her turn and she said they must be a sight to see, a bunch of kids walking down the street singing Yo Ho :rotfl2:):

Adorable story!

Very cool shot, Dug!

I think this was the only time she did actually fall asleep there, but she slept almost the whole time she was there that evening. Nothing like a little peer pressure (other kids going to sleep) to persuade her, I guess. Yay for sleep!

But how did she sleep that night for you is the real question?! ::yes::

Soon enough, the action started. I didn’t take a single photo, because Dug took about 700 (okay, not quite :rolleyes:), so here’s a selection that will give you a pretty good overview of the show:

We didn't see this part because dinner lasted FOREVERRR this night, but glad you guys enjoyed it. We saw the later show and Aria still talks about Mickey flying over the ship.

I think this was the only time she did actually fall asleep there, but she slept almost the whole time she was there that evening. Nothing like a little peer pressure (other kids going to sleep) to persuade her, I guess

Yay that is great!! Also wondering how she slept after picking her up hahaha!

I love your dress choice for Palo. You guys look great!

That is perfect that Izzy slept during her time at the nursery (this time, anyway!).

I've never seen any of the pirate night shows for some reason. We saw the fireworks on our first cruise, but I've never been able to stay up late enough to see them again (so pathetic, I know). That early show looks pretty fun, though!

I am loving hearing about the cruise. Getting me excited for our trip in May - weekends at WDW with a 4 day in the middle!

The pirate party looks cute! I'm glad Izzy was able to enjoy that, and that she slept at the nursery. I'm interested to see how she transferred when getting back to your room, though. lol

Love the dress you picked for dinner!

Actually, yes, a long time ago! I think I was in my early 20's and I was at a resort in the Lake of the Ozarks (Missouri) and me and a few others decided to try it. I did a tandem parasail with another girl and it was a blast! (Glad I am not afraid of heights!)

I think people (who aren't too afraid of heights at least) need to do it. It's such a smooth take off/landing and usually the view's terrific.

:lmao:Izzy would happily star in that. Instead of Let It Go, it would be Give Me That.

:lmao:

Yeah, it went right down that little space between the elevator floor and the regular floor (while the door was open). :headache:

erk. But... retrievable by maintenance/elevator people..... eventually.

My PTR followers helped me to decide on this old dress

"this old dress"? It's a really nice dress!

And, yes, there is a ton of stuff from the Fish Extenders on that counter…we didn’t bring all those snacks and stuff ourselves.

Whoa.

Prettiest shot of you of the trip. ::yes::

Dug apparently was into artsy waterslide/sunset shots:

I like it!

Uh, this doesn’t look good :scared::

You're lucky you made it back to write this TR!

Wait.... this isn't an SOS, is it?

And Dug got one more artsy shot of the waterslide:

Like that one too. Shows a lot of detail.

the kids were all starting to wind down and Izzy actually followed suit. :eek:

No. Way. :faint:

Clearly, we both were fascinated by the luggage booths. :rotfl:

I can see why. It's so cool!

A violinist was serenading the room :charac2::

Nice.

I am caught up!

Wow that Fish Extender cookie...was it homemade? That's impressive!
The laundry machines ARE clunky on the ship, but when you are on long trips, it is definitely a welcome sight. We ended up using machines on a different floor too.

Pirate night looks like fun! But yes, a good night to go to Palo or Remy. Midship detective was fun! My sister and DH played a few missions.

You guys look great at Palo! Can't wait to read more about your meal!

Yay! I'm so excited to read about your Palo dinner. I loved my dining experience there. You two both looked very nice for your evening away from Izzy. (Hooray for date meals!)

I like that you got to take a tour of the ship looking for the lost puppies. Those missions look like a lot of fun and a great way to see the ship.

I hope you can maybe make the tentatively booked cruise work! That would be a lot of fun to go again, especially with Izzy being a little older and maybe better able to enjoy some aspects of it. But I totally understand not wanting to sacrifice other travel plans just to make that happen.

Sorry for going so long between updates, folks. I don't even have a good excuse, just...life. :confused3 But I'm back with an update to post...finally! :cool1:

Glad things worked out with the dress you picked - it looks nice!
Thank you!

That's cool they had 2 shows though on Pirate Night - even if this one wasn't anything special I am sure Izzy enjoyed it and nice to get to see something "special" but not have to plan your entire night around it
Yes, definitely worth our while.

Nice artsy pictures by Dug! I definitely get to that point after like 700 normal pictures to try something artsy
I like it. Nice variety from all the shots of the stage show. :thumbsup2

Those luggage" are pretty cool! Can't wait to hear about your Palo meal!
They are cool. Meal coming up (finally)!

Your posts definitely make me want to cruise again with our kiddos! You're right- we placed a Place Holder for our next cruise- it was $250/stateroom, fully refundable, and must be used in the next 2 years. We plan to go in 2018- when DS2 will be 3! It's 10%off and the state room credit, but there are black out dates. :(
Sounds great - wish they had a placeholder at the time we booked. Instead, I ended up moving our cruise back to May 2017, which is the furthest it can go with the onboard booking deal. I don't think we'll take it, but want to leave it as a possibility until we get to the cancellation deadline in February.

You two clean up nice! Both looking very sharp!
Thank you!

The luggage booths are cool. Kind of a unique touch.
I agree - very unique. Love all the Disney details.

The violinist reminds me of a time when my husband and I were young and dating. We went to a fancy restaurant where a violinist stayed at our table a rather long time. We didn't know if we were supposed to tip him to get him to leave. I think we were even discussing it while he was standing there playing his violin!
Oooh, that would be awkward. At least this one was just walking around and not at any table.

Perhaps her future?!
Perhaps. ::yes::

Oh geez, didn't even think about what a nuisance that would be during potty training! Aren't you glad it's all done though?!
Yes, so glad! It's so nice that she can usually just go into the bathroom and do everything herself now! :hyper:

I was seriously thinking that it may have been there, because we pulled this exact same thing on our first cruise, but definitely remembered for our second :thumbsup2
:rotfl2:

He actually looks pretty excited about going back onboard?! :rotfl::confused3
:confused3

Uh oh, I see something a-brewing.
:scared:

I said this on another TR, but the food there was amazing! And I think it was because after a long day in the sun, water and drinking at Castaway, any food sounds good :laughing:
Makes sense. For us, it was such a dreary wet afternoon that the food was good, but just part of a soggy time. :rotfl:

Hey, doing pretty much anything without a kid is a good date time :rotfl:
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

And this is when the app they have at WDW comes in handy!
Definitely would have loved to have that onboard! :laundy:

You've got to try this sometime. We did this on our first cruise and LOVED it! It was so cool!
I parasailed once many years ago on the Lake of the Ozarks (Missouri). It was a lot of fun!

:rotfl2::rotfl:Seriously!? :lmao:
Oh, yes. Don't mess with our game. ::yes::

Those are actually great incentives! Our only offer (but this was 5 years ago) was 10% off and a small OBC. Love that if you use the Visa, you can get 6 months interest free.:thumbsup2
Yes, we figured that 6 months gave us some time to think about whether or not we wanted to take that deposit out of our travel funds.

Pirate Stitch is awesome!
I agree! :stitch: Such a great surprise to run into him!

Adorable story!
Thanks, the image just cracks me up! pirate:

Very cool shot, Dug!
I agree!

But how did she sleep that night for you is the real question?! ::yes::
Coming up!

We didn't see this part because dinner lasted FOREVERRR this night, but glad you guys enjoyed it. We saw the later show and Aria still talks about Mickey flying over the ship.
I think your cruise might have had slightly different shows - that is awesome that Mickey flew over!

Yay that is great!! Also wondering how she slept after picking her up hahaha!
Coming up!

I love your dress choice for Palo. You guys look great!
Thank you!

That is perfect that Izzy slept during her time at the nursery (this time, anyway!).
I was so glad she finally got some good sleep there! (unlike right now - it's 9:30pm and I can hear her in bed talking/singing to herself still! :faint:)

I've never seen any of the pirate night shows for some reason. We saw the fireworks on our first cruise, but I've never been able to stay up late enough to see them again (so pathetic, I know). That early show looks pretty fun, though!
It's a cute show. And the fireworks were fun. But sleep is also good! :thumbsup2

I am loving hearing about the cruise. Getting me excited for our trip in May - weekends at WDW with a 4 day in the middle!
Wow, that sounds just like this trip! We started out with your same plan, but the weekends morphed into long (4-night) weekends on both sides. I hope you have a great time! :goodvibes

The pirate party looks cute! I'm glad Izzy was able to enjoy that, and that she slept at the nursery. I'm interested to see how she transferred when getting back to your room, though. lol
Coming up!

Love the dress you picked for dinner!
Thank you!

I think people (who aren't too afraid of heights at least) need to do it. It's such a smooth take off/landing and usually the view's terrific.
Very true. I'm glad I did it and would do it again, if a good opportunity arose.

erk. But... retrievable by maintenance/elevator people..... eventually.
I suppose. At least it wasn't something super valuable.

"this old dress"? It's a really nice dress!
Well, thanks. But it really is an old dress - it's probably been in my closet maybe 8 years? Only worn a few times, though - I don't have a lot of occasions to dress up for, I guess. It's the "newest" one I have. :rotfl:

The Fish Extender kept overflowing. :laughing:

Prettiest shot of you of the trip. ::yes::
Aw, shucks. :flower3:

I like it!
Me too! :thumbsup2

You're lucky you made it back to write this TR!

Wait.... this isn't an SOS, is it?
:rotfl2: I did indeed survive.

Like that one too. Shows a lot of detail.
:goodvibes

Shocking, I know!

I can see why. It's so cool!
Great Disney details.

:thumbsup2

I am caught up!
:cool1:

Wow that Fish Extender cookie...was it homemade? That's impressive!
I'm not sure if the FE participant made it or had it made, but definitely a custom cookie! (hmmm...and now you've given me ideas...we have an awesome cookie/cake lady who could do an FE gift like this for us if we cruise again...:scratchin)

The laundry machines ARE clunky on the ship, but when you are on long trips, it is definitely a welcome sight. We ended up using machines on a different floor too.
Yes, I loved being able to throw our stuff in mid-trip!

Pirate night looks like fun! But yes, a good night to go to Palo or Remy. Midship detective was fun! My sister and DH played a few missions.
Midship Detective was fun. If we cruise again, I'd definitely like to do more missions (and get Izzy in on it).

You guys look great at Palo! Can't wait to read more about your meal!
Thanks! Meal coming up, finally!

Yay! I'm so excited to read about your Palo dinner. I loved my dining experience there. You two both looked very nice for your evening away from Izzy. (Hooray for date meals!)
Thank you! It was a great dinner - update coming!

I like that you got to take a tour of the ship looking for the lost puppies. Those missions look like a lot of fun and a great way to see the ship.
They were fun and great to see different areas. And I love activating the little secret features around the ship.

I hope you can maybe make the tentatively booked cruise work! That would be a lot of fun to go again, especially with Izzy being a little older and maybe better able to enjoy some aspects of it. But I totally understand not wanting to sacrifice other travel plans just to make that happen.
I'd really love to make it work, which is why I haven't cancelled it entirely yet. But I'm not counting on it.

Whew! All caught up! Yay!
:cool1: Welcome back! I missed you around here!

Dinner at Palo

We had just been seated at our table in Palo and our waiter came over to introduce himself. His name was David and he was from Hungary, plus he turned out to be a really great waiter and a nice guy! (Also, I remembered what country he was from with my lame joke about being NOT hungry after a meal at Palo :duck:).

Right in front of us, he made up an antipasti platter, which was great. He also brought out a bread basket and water:

For my appetizer, I was debating between the caprese and the tuscan bean soup. I love caprese, but I do make it at home sometimes, so wasn’t sure if I should get something at Palo that I can make at home. But David highly recommended it, so I ordered it anyway. And it was super tasty! Better than the one I make, even! Drizzled with balsamic vinegar:

Sorry for my dark and creepy pictures of dinner. :o Dug’s are much better and I’ll mostly post his, if possible. Speaking of these pictures, early on in our meal Dug said he heard a guy at the table behind us say, “He’s taking pictures of his food!! Just enjoy it!!” I guess he doesn’t have a trip report to write. :rolleyes: Dug told me this as the guy was away from his table for a few minutes. Wish I’d known he was talking about us, because I totally would have taken a picture of him at the table behind us. As Dug finished telling me about this, he said something like, “Mind your own business!” Just as the guy was walking by. Not sure if he heard it and no further incidents (I think they were on their way out).

Looks like Dug got this calamari appetizer:

They brought out some sort of palate cleanser:

We also ordered wine, not sure if there are pictures, but you know what that looks like. :laughing:

For his entrée, Dug ordered the lamb shank:

And apparently got some sort of seafood-y side, not sure what this is:

I got the beef tenderloin entrée:

It melted in my mouth!

And a side of asparagus gnocchi:

We loved everything. It was all SOOOOOO good. We didn’t ever want to stop eating. :cloud9:

But, once that food was sadly gone, we thankfully still had amazing desserts to consume. Of course, we got the legendary Chocolate Souffle:

We also got another dessert to share. I can’t seem to find it on the online menus and can’t remember exactly what it was, but it was good and topped with a mini cannoli (and I think filled with chocolate and cherries):

Both desserts were scrumptious!

David brought out a small after dinner drink that was a lemon and apple combo of sorts, I think:

Looks like Dug then ordered a limoncello drink and some coffee:

I want to say that I may have gotten a hot chocolate, but there is no photographic evidence of that, nor notes, so maybe I am making it up. :confused3

We loved dinner at Palo! Both the food and the service were outstanding. In fact, we enjoyed it more than the brunch (still coming up in the report). Funny, because I always hear so much raving about the brunch and very little about the dinner. Except for one person on our cruise meet/FE thread who couldn’t recommend the dinner highly enough – he was right. :thumbsup2 We’d do it again in a heartbeat. (I think part of our dinner preference was that we didn't have to keep getting up and going to a buffet...it was nice to just DINE. I guess we don't do enough of that these days with a little girl in tow.)

So, once we finished, we rolled on out of there. Went through Cabanas and noticed the birds:

Mine, mine, mine!

We walked out on the pool deck around 10:30pm and realized we had time to see the pirate show and fireworks. We found a spot and tried to enjoy things. However, I was distracted by some guys that seemed to be flirting with a girl near us. It was weird and involved a lot of swearing and selfies. :confused: Despite that, we had a surprisingly good view of the fireworks from our latecomer spot. Here’s a bunch of pics and video:

(click to watch)

We headed back to our stateroom after the show. There was something waiting for us (and our navigators and chocolate coins too):

I was uncomfortably full to the point I needed my asthma inhaler to breathe normally (I know, weird). Also, my stomach had blown up to the point that it looked like I was about 5+ months pregnant (no, I wasn’t! :eek:):

That’s a Palo belly. :rotfl2:

It was back to more-or-less normal in the morning, in case you are wondering (and this sort of thing is not unheard of for me, so I wasn't concerned):

It was around 11pm and we changed and then just rested in the room until we had to go pick up Izzy at the prescheduled 11:30pm time.

Izzy was sleeping at pick up and went right back down to sleep in the room, no issues. :cool1: We were all wiped out and immediately hit the hay.

Up next: A day at sea.

Your meal looked fantastic! Could you dine at Palo as often as you like or is there a limit?

That towel is pretty funny. I love when housekeeping has a sense of humor.

Your "belly" shots remind me of how I feel at the tail end of a Disney vacation after I've stuffed my face without regret!

Your dinner looks amazing - especially the entree's - so fancy and just making me hungry ;)

Definitely think having a nice sit-down meal as a couple is great to do and makes it really feel like vacation so can totally get your thoughts on the dinner vs the brunch buffet model

Glad you got to see the fireworks too ... though nothing says "Disney" like trying to pick up a girl using a lot of swearing :|

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter