I'm going to my first Stampin' up party...help me not spend $$$

megan4777

<font color=red>Apparently I had some sort monster
Ok, so I have been invited to this shindig on Sat. I need to know what a NEW person should or shouldn't buy.
I would love to start making b-day cards/ invites/ etc but I don't want to buy one of everything to do so.

I am VERY new to anything scrapbooking (I do have a ton of stuff, though, b/c people keep giving me gifts...), card making...etc.

I really appreciate any help

Thanks

:worship:

I just went to my first Stampin' Up party a couple of weeks ago. You can spend a fortune. My friend who hosted gave me the catalog ahead of time so I could look through and narrow down my choices. You can look on their website also. First, set an idea of how much you want to spend so you don't go crazy. I showed the items I was interested in to my friend and she made suggestions. Try to get sets that are versatile - maybe have several stamps that work in different seasons or occasions. Their cardstock and stampin spots (small inkpads) that coordinate in color are nice. I tried to get things that I could use for cards and scrapbooking. I wouldn't buy anything that you can get at Michaels (like adhesives, punches, etc.) Have fun.

I would definitely be selective with your stamp sets. Think about how many different times you could use each one. A set with a lovely poem about sisters is great, but how many cards will I make for my one sister with the same poem?
The little ink pads are a good way to get several colours and not spend a fortune. Also, have the rep demo the versa-ink. I love that product!
Have fun!

I love SU but I wound up unloading alot of my stuff because I just didn't have the time to make cards. I still order stuff if I can keep it scrap-related. I love their punches -- very good quality -- like the corner punch, slot punch, round/squares. They also have the Perfect Layers system for matting, which works great!

I love the stampin spots inkpads -- good for distressing. I am slowly collecting every color collection. I also just ordered the white gel pen, which I heard is superior to others out there. Great for journalling or embellishing on dark cardstock.

Good luck on not breaking the bank. It's pretty easy to get hooked!!

i just bought the stamp wheel -- loved it! can't wait to get it! hope i use it! LOL

i also bought the tag kit, but that was a February special. the only other set i have which i do use alot is a general occasion set like birthday, father's/mother's day, anniversary, get well, thank you, etc.

Good luck, I just recently had a very bad experience with Stampin Up. I have several of their sets of stamps and one of them, the glue had come off and the rubber wouldn't stick to the blocks. They were about 2 years old. I asked the rep about it and she said there had been a bad batch of glue awhile ago, but they only have a 90 day warranty. That really upset me, so I cancelled my order. I do think they have really neat stuff and I like their catalogs for ideas (though it stinks you have to pay for them), but I think I'm pretty much done with them if they don't stand behind their product. Tupperware will replace anything defective regardless of how long it was (just had to do this too), so that really disappointed me to find out that they won't when they acknowledge there was an issue. Just my two cents, sorry I'm not trying to bash them, their stuff is really cute, I just had a bad experience. Have fun, I like to stamp too.

the roller stamp thing! it's really simple to use! and they have so many roll of stamps. i just love the simplicity of it!! and yes, it could be a sticker shock when you finalize & tally up your total!!!! have fun shopping!! :flower:

I really liked the stamping wheels and was going to get one...BUT the thing I did not like is that you have to buy all the separate ink cartridges if you want different colors (at I think $4.95 ea). The other thing that adds to your total is shipping and tax. I didn't realize I would have to pay shipping until she totalled the order.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I can bring a picture to make a scrapbook page, too. :confused3

I appreciate all the help!! :thumbsup2

Josanna : fyi

You can re-glue rubber to wood block yourself just use some appropriate glue :cool1: try rubber cement

Megan 4777 :

have fun stampin up is dangerous haha

So what did you think? and what did you get?

I personally love SU products. If you want to get into card making. Versatile verses is great for the inside of cards. I try to buy stamp sets that I can picture myself using in both cards and SB Pages. The background stamps are a great investment IMO. Hope you had a good time without breaking the bank. It is easy to do. One thing to keep in mind. If you like stamping they are cheaper than the stamp sets you buy in the store, or at least they are out here in Calif.

Rebecca, Thanks for the tip, thats more info that the consultant I was working with gave me. However, the party host has already gone ahead and used some glue that another consultant referred to her and glued them all on for me, bless her heart. I just had a bad experience with a consultant that apparently didn't really want me as a customer. Thanks!

I have a zillion sets, and tons of stuff - LOL - LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Definately you should try to pick out a set or two that you can use for lots of things - and the stamping spots are also great for starting out - Many consultants now offer a starter kit too (some cardstock a set or two and some ribbons or brads) at a discount -

The March special is also good (you can see it on the web, or PM me and i will email it to you)

also - if anyone is interested in ordering, i am running a March special - 10% off all orders by end of month - if you need any stamp fixes!!

Happy Stampin!
Paula in CT

http://paulamurphy.stampinup.net/Welcome.aspx

I think you should try out the colorful pens and pencils with the different color papers. Actually these stuff can give you the best things to make something like cards or something else.

I contacted a StampinUp demonstrator here in Canada and asked about the Perfect Layers....She asked around cause she had never heard of it (she was fairly new) and found out that they don't sell that tool anymore here....

Do they still sell it in the US?

I contacted a StampinUp demonstrator here in Canada and asked about the Perfect Layers....She asked around cause she had never heard of it (she was fairly new) and found out that they don't sell that tool anymore here....

Do they still sell it in the US?

You know, my demo had a thing last night where she intro'd the new catalog. I *think* she had a used one for sale. Do you want me to contact her?

No, that's ok....A very nice Diser is sending me a new set from HSN.....Gotta love this place.

I was looking at maybe buying more for friends but I will just wait till my Mom is back at her winter home in Florida to get more....thanks though, DISers are amazing people.:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter