I'm Celebrating: Being Awesome - An October 2016 Solo Trip Report - Update 7/24: Hiatus Over! Sorta.

Hey I'm first for the first time! So excited to see your new trip report! We are headed down at Christmas so excited!
Grats on being first, you're super fast! I'm glad you're here!

Yay! I can't wait to hear about your trip!
It was a great trip, I hope I can convey it's awesomeness in this thread!

Hooray! Have you started yours yet?

I'm over here too!!
Yay!

Yay! I'm here and can't wait to read about the amazing trip you had.
I'm looking forward to tell ya'll all about it!

I'm here! I'm excited to read about the best trip ever!
It really was the best trip ever. If I ever want to top this one, I'm gonna have my work cut out for me!

It was an excellent time to buy an Annual Pass. :)
It was! And is! Sadly, that extra month I got is gonna go to waste. Booo. :(

Yay! You've started!!
I have! I'm not as on-the-ball as you are, but I try!

I just purchased my first annual pass too. Excited to hear about your trip.
It's such a great feeling, isn't it?!

Joining in! I can't believe you're back!
I can't believe I'm back either! I don't wanna be!

This will be the first TR that I'm joining before it actually starts! Yay!! And your TRs are awesome, so it's just perfect . Looking forward to reading all about your trip :flower1:
Aww, you're so sweet! I hope you enjoy reading my ramblings here!

Following along! Can't wait to hear all about it!
Hooray!

I will be following! Can't wait to hear about your trip!
Yay! Thanks for being here!

First, you look absolutely awesome!!!!!!! It's great to see all your hard work paid off. Can't wait to hear all about it.
Yeah, well, I don't look quite that good anymore after all the weight I piled back on during the trip... Oops! #sorrynotsorry

I'm here too!! Though I did follow along with the fun on FB...it's always good to get into the details too lol :) Looking forward to hearing more about it all!
I got a little crazy on FB, I know, haha.

At least I am on page 1
You did GOOD, Lynn!

This sounds like fun!
It was! Hopefully the TR will be fun, too!

Checking in! I'm completely impressed you've gotten this started already! Cant wait to hear all about it!
Yeah, I started it, then completely abandoned it for 4 days. It's kind of a trend with me and the DIS lately...

Here! Can't wait to read all about it. And you know me, I LOVE LOVE LOVE photos. The more the merrier!
Oh, there will be photos! Enough that when I'm too brain-dead to write anything witty or hilarious, I'll totally just pic-spam you all.

And the title you chose is Purrrfect!
And has a story! Which you probably have already figured out from peepin' the photos on FB, haha.

I can't WAIT to read about your trip! I'm so excited!
I'm excited to tell you all about it!

I'm so glad that you had an amazing trip! Can't wait to read all about it!!
It was SO amazing. I wish I was still on it!

I'm here too! Can't wait to read about all of your adventures!
Adventures incoming soon, I promise!

Following along, can't wait to read about your trip :)
Yay, thanks for being here!

I'm here. Looking forward to reading about your latest adventure.
Hooray! I'll get going with the first update soon, I promise!

First of all, I love a Billie TR, so I'll definitely be pulling up a chair! Second of all, you are look amazing! Can't wait to get this party started!
Aww, thanks for the compliment!

(Plus it always helps me pass time before we leave in about 4 weeks. :) )
Take me with youuuuuuuuuu! I miss it so hard!

I'm here too-can't wait to read about your adventures!
Yay! Thanks for being here!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Can't wait to read along
Yay, you're here!

Made it! Hopefully I can stay caught up on this time.
I'm just as bad about staying caught up though, so I totally understand!

Love your trippies! :worship:

Waiting impatiently for your next update!!
Update incoming, I swear!

I'm here!
WOOT!

I enjoyed your Pre-Trip Report, and I am looking forward to following along with your Trip Report. You look fabulous, BTW!
Thank you so much! And I'm glad you're here!

You look great! 9 days is awesome! Can't wait to hear about it all!
Turns out 9 nights is the PERFECT amount of time for me. Who woulda guessed?!

Following Along!
Yay!

Sounds like fun! I absolutely love Beach Club, we are staying at the villas on our upcoming trip...it's my favorite resort :lovestruc

Can't wait to read all about your trip!
I fell hopelessly in love with the Beach Club. I didn't want to leave!

Woo hoo!!! Cant wait to hear about your adventures!!!!
Will have the first update ready soon, I hope!

Ohhhh, I think I'll finally be in someone's TR!!!
You will be! Towards the end though, we met on my second-to-last day, haha.

DAY 1
October 20th, 2016 - Thursday
Travel & Arrival in Orlando

OMG OMG OMG! It's time, it's time, it's time! It's really time to leave for Florida! Hooray!

6YCelxMJo0txK.gif

But first, we gotta get there. Good thing it's 8am and I'm all packed and ready to go! All thanks to my chief packing assistant, of course. Meet Harley!

20161016_203451-1.jpg

Eventually, with his help, we got it all sorted!

20161020_081340-1.jpg

The day before, I took care of necessary things like gettin' my hair cuted up...

20161019_111701-1.jpg

And my toes, too...

20161019_143609-1.jpg

They're actually SUPER glittery, the photo doesn't do my pink princess toes justice!

20161020_000949-1.jpg

If there's any questions about why the skin on my my feet and legs looks so jacked up with little cuts, there's a very simple explanation: The kitty you saw in the above packing photo is just one of the three furbabies that I belong to. One of the others is a now 6-month-old kitten (who has been with me since she was orphaned at 2 weeks old). Enough said. Meet Cupcake!

20160903_025759-1.jpg

Well, actually, now that I've introduced you to 2/3 cats, I will feel like I jerk if I don't include my eldest, so here you go. Meet Butters!

20161009_021559.jpg

All right, enough with the crazy cat-ladyness. (For now.)

I'd also that same day went ahead and picked up my rental car (I'd reserved a Compact through my local Enterprise), which I never took a single photo of, so thanks Google!

versa.png

Red Nissan Versa Note. Not this showroom shiny. But I liked it! Was surprisingly comfy and drove like a dream.

So that brings us back to departure morning. Oh, and of course, can't forget my new MagicBand!

20161002_190701-1.jpg

All loaded up in the car, and ready to hit the road!

20161020_083106-1.jpg

I live in a small town on the southern tip of South Carolina, and the drive is a really easy 5-6 hour journey from here...

route_1.png

The trip down was actually relatively uneventful. Once I was on the interstate, I queued up the book I'd downloaded to listen to on the way:

final-cover.jpg

Aaaaand I was loving it! I stopped for gas, potty, and coffee just before getting on I-4, and at that point I switched the book off right around the halfway point and flipped over to the radio playing low.

Why? Because I-4 stresses me the EFF out. People be trying to KILL me on that road, ya'll!

kUo4mBl85jDos.gif

Buuuut I pulled up my big-girl panties, and I made it to Orlando! Thankfully the traffic wasn't too bad, and my GPS lead me right to the front door of my hotel for the first night of my trip...

hi.png

But wait, THAT's not the Beach Club! I know, I know, slow your roll and I'll explain.

I often do this thing where I stay in a cheap off-property hotel on the night I drive down, then start my Disney fun early the next morning just to save a little dough. This also gives me a chance to spend a little time exploring Orlando outside of the Disney property. I also always stay at hotels that we get special deals through my work for clients, because (1) I like deals, and (2) having stayed at the hotels helps me to sell them better.

So my digs for the very first night of this trip was at the Holiday Inn & Suites Universal in a Standard King Bed room. Ya'll, I gotta tell you, I was HELLA impressed with this place. Every inch of the property was immaculate, the lobby was beautiful, and the staff were all absolutely lovely. The single solitary complaint I had was that the lounge chairs by the pool were super uncomfortable. And in the grand scheme of things that could go wrong at a hotel, that's really NOTHING.

My room wasn't ready yet when I arrived, so I left my bags with bell services, then headed out for some relaxation!

20161020_142926-1.jpg

That's my toes, and me, laying in one of the afore-mentioned uncomfortable lounge chairs. I didn't last long before I got up and moved to one of the regular chairs at a table off to the left there. They said they'd call my cell when my room was ready, so I sat there reading and messing around on my phone for a while, then decided to go chill in the lovely lobby instead. Of which I took no pictures. Derp.

After a little while, the Bell Services fella was walking across the lobby and saw me sitting there, so he came over and asked if they still didn't have my room ready yet, and I told him no. So he told me to wait just one moment, and he went up to the counter and talked with one of the agents for a moment. Next thing I know, he's waving me over, and told me that the gentleman would take care of me! I don't know what magic Mr. Bellman worked, but suddenly I had a room. Yippee! After I was all checked in, I walked back over to the Bell Services counter, thanked him, and told him I would just take my bags with me since I was on my way up anyhow, if he wouldn't mind. Once he brought them out, I still tipped him as if he'd brought them up to the room because he was so awesome.

And then I made my way up to the 6th floor to my room... which I instantly loved. Enough typing... Time for pictures!

9797918b-0cb2-4947-8980-ebf587c82a32.jpg

20161020_152114-1.jpg

20161020_152206-1.jpg

20161020_152305.jpg

20161020_152221-1.jpg

20161020_152434-1.jpg

20161020_152448-1.jpg

(The bathroom was well-appointed, but super tiny... So small I had to take a pic in the mirror in order to get a photo of the shower area. But I actually didn't mind, I would rather have the extra square footage in the room itself!)

20161020_152526-1.jpg

View from my window...

20161020_152243-1.jpg

Sure, it's no Disney resort, but I was QUITE pleased with my cheap hotel room! Oh, and did I mention that the bed was SUPER comfy? I was diggin' it, and knew I'd be quite happy there for the night. Yay!

qPKdzt3x44wy4.gif

I think I'll wrap this post up here for tonight! Back soon(ish) with the next installment!

Up Next... Dinner & Fun Times on International Drive!

Last edited:
Yay, you've started your report! Looking forward to reading all the extra details of your trip beyond the wonderful pics you shared on fb!

Travel day is the bestest, because it's also arrival day or almost anyway! And yes, I-4. Holy Crap! Your kitties are adorbs, and I'm so glad they helped you pack up and get outta Dodge! Phew! You're on your way!

Yay! She's started! Staying the first night at a cheap hotel is something I often do too, to save a little money when you will be arriving later and won't be going to a park anyway. That hotel looks great, especially if the price wasn't bad.

So glad you didn't have any bumps on the way down! Expressways do not scare me.. I do live in chicago!! :moped:

From the pictures the lounge chairs "look" comfy! Sorry they weren't-- as i could sit in there for a week right about now.

YAY for awesome bellboy!
Your room is lovely! wowza it is HUGE! and comfy bed? SCORE! Always a good thing to get a great nights sleep before the hustle and bustle of Disney!!

Ah! I was freaking out when I saw three whole pages that I hadn't read already - but obviously you're just super popular :D So thankfully I haven't missed much! Can't wait to read all the details, even though I was totally Facebook stalking you the whole trip :P That Holiday Inn does look super nice - I'll have to keep it in mind if we ever need to stay off property for some reason :)

Following along, I always enjoy your reports! We'll be there in February, too, but a couple of weeks before you. :) Can't wait to hear more about your awesome trip!

Felicia Day! I didn't know she wrote books :yay: She was on one of my favorite shows for awhile (Supernatural) and I loved her on it. Have to pick up one of her books now! Maybe to read on the plane when we head to Disney in 16 days :thumbsup2
Loving the sparkly nails and I wanted to mention how awesome you look. FYI I always gain a few lbs. in Disney......and then lose them fairly easily when I get home. Glad to hear you're doing the same and while losing weight is healthy, I'm glad you didn't let that stop you from enjoying yourself on vacation!
Is the distance shot of the pool the view from your room? If it is, cool!

Departure Day! Yay!

The hotel room looks nice. I like the pool view!
So here's a funny ... a few months back, my parents were telling us kids about their vacation, and my brother and I, who rarely agree on anything (it's mostly the occasional sports thing), both told that the first thing you have to do when you walk into a hotel room is take pictures. Then you can unpack. But first pictures for the TR :).

Looking forward to more! Sure do enjoy your trip reports!
Thanks! I'm glad you're here! :)

Yay, you've started your report! Looking forward to reading all the extra details of your trip beyond the wonderful pics you shared on fb!
Yeah, I did pretty much cover everything photo-wise on FB, didn't I? I went a little pic-upload crazy, but peiople seemed to be enjoying it, so I went with it!

Hahaha! Girl, you so funny!

Nope, haven't started it yet. Hopefully sometime in the next week or so. I'm still trying to get all the Photopass pictures.
So far I've only found one that I'm missing, one of my Space Mountain ride photos, so hopefully they'll find it for me! But it's not until towards the end of the trip, so figured I might as well go ahead and get rollin' with this TR in the meanwhile!

Travel day is the bestest, because it's also arrival day or almost anyway! And yes, I-4. Holy Crap! Your kitties are adorbs, and I'm so glad they helped you pack up and get outta Dodge! Phew! You're on your way!
I-4 is the WORST. But yeah, my kitties are pretty adorable. And helpful! Well, mostly anyhow... Cupcake is more mischief than help. At one point I had to lock her out of the room because she kept burrowing into my suitcase and attacking my swimsuit.

I put the month and year on my new purple MB, too. I have so many MBs now that I lost track of how old they all are. I've been declining them, too, but I had to have purple. :)
I can't bear to deny a MagicBand, despite having so many of them! It's just such a big part of the excitement when they arrive in the mail! But, because I have so many now, I did decide that I don't need anymore that say "Billie" on them.... Hence the switch to the trip date! :)

Aw. Butters has the sweetest face. :lovestruc
He so does! He's my old man cat (turned 11 yrs old in May) and I loves him!

Yay! She's started! Staying the first night at a cheap hotel is something I often do too, to save a little money when you will be arriving later and won't be going to a park anyway. That hotel looks great, especially if the price wasn't bad.
Yes, exactly! I just can't see paying Disney prices when I'm spending half the day in the car! I only do this on my solo trips though, as I won't ask my family to do the kind of hotel hopping that I do on my own.

So glad you didn't have any bumps on the way down! Expressways do not scare me.. I do live in chicago!! :moped:
I do NOT live in Chicago or anything remotely like it, haha! I can handle regular old interstates, but crazy big city expressways and freeways make me pee myself a little! I manage, but I do NOT like them! (This is why when I go with my aunt and uncle, I drive the first half down and then he drives the second half, and the reverse on the return trip. He works in Atlanta, and like you, he's used to that kind of craziness!)

From the pictures the lounge chairs "look" comfy! Sorry they weren't-- as i could sit in there for a week right about now.
Yeah, I know! But when you actually laid in them and relaxed back, there was this AWFUL metal bar across the back behind the chair fabric that just digs into your flesh if you put any weight back on it at all. NOT COOL.

YAY for awesome bellboy!
Your room is lovely! wowza it is HUGE! and comfy bed? SCORE! Always a good thing to get a great nights sleep before the hustle and bustle of Disney!!
The room was MASSIVE! I couldn't get over it... It was great hotel. Definitely my #1 recommendation now for my clients heading to Universal but not staying on-property there.

Ah! I was freaking out when I saw three whole pages that I hadn't read already - but obviously you're just super popular :D So thankfully I haven't missed much! Can't wait to read all the details, even though I was totally Facebook stalking you the whole trip :P That Holiday Inn does look super nice - I'll have to keep it in mind if we ever need to stay off property for some reason :)
I loved you Facebook stalking me during the trip, thank you so much! Since you've obviously already seen most of the photos, I'll do my best to write at least a line or two about each to keep it interesting!

Following along, I always enjoy your reports! We'll be there in February, too, but a couple of weeks before you. :) Can't wait to hear more about your awesome trip!
Dang, too bad we'll miss one another! I'm glad you're here for my October trip, though! ;)

Yay it's started :yay:
It sure has! Gonna try to be back tomorrow night with another update, too! Fingers crossed!

Felicia Day! I didn't know she wrote books :yay: She was on one of my favorite shows for awhile (Supernatural) and I loved her on it. Have to pick up one of her books now! Maybe to read on the plane when we head to Disney in 16 days :thumbsup2
It's the only real book she's written so far (she did some comic books a few years ago for her web series, The Guild). It's a memoir, about her life, and I related to so many parts of it. I was either laughing out loud or nodding my head emphatically almost the entire time!

Loving the sparkly nails and I wanted to mention how awesome you look. FYI I always gain a few lbs. in Disney......and then lose them fairly easily when I get home. Glad to hear you're doing the same and while losing weight is healthy, I'm glad you didn't let that stop you from enjoying yourself on vacation!
I certainly did not, and I came home prepared to laugh instead of cry about the weight-gain! And it is coming off pretty quickly... I've already dropped almost half of it in just the 5 days that I've been home. Hoping that trend continues!

Is the distance shot of the pool the view from your room? If it is, cool!
It was, yeah!

Departure Day! Yay!

The hotel room looks nice. I like the pool view!
The hotel room was wonderful, I was super impressed! The pool view was okay, not that I spent a lot of time staring out the window, lol. What you can see just a glimpse of beyond the pool is I-4... I cropped it out there because ugly, obviously.

So here's a funny ... a few months back, my parents were telling us kids about their vacation, and my brother and I, who rarely agree on anything (it's mostly the occasional sports thing), both told that the first thing you have to do when you walk into a hotel room is take pictures. Then you can unpack. But first pictures for the TR :).
You're SO right! My trip last December I completely forgot, and felt like I'd committed a major sin afterwards!

I actually really love your idea of staying at a cheaper offsite place on travel day...because unless you can get to your resort early...it can be a bit of a waste. And staying offsite you don't feel guilty doing non-Disney stuff...sounds great all around...I may try that next time...whenever that may be lol.

Yea departure day!! It's so exciting, you've got the whole trip ahead of you! I'm becoming a huge fan of staying somewhere cheaper the first night, then you can hit Disney straight away the next day :goodvibes. Awesome that you were able to find an affordable and great place to stay your first night.

I feel like I get to re-live your trip with you all over again thanks to all your amazing FB pics! :thumbsup2

joining in the fun! Time to TR it up while waiting for my December trip to roll around!!

I actually really love your idea of staying at a cheaper offsite place on travel day...because unless you can get to your resort early...it can be a bit of a waste. And staying offsite you don't feel guilty doing non-Disney stuff...sounds great all around...I may try that next time...whenever that may be lol.
It really is great, particular if you have a car, personal or rental. I can see how if you're flying in and not planning on renting one that it's much easier to just take the Magical Express straight to a Disney resort. But since I always have a vehicle with me, it really is nice to be able to have to freedom to bounce around town a bit!

Yea departure day!! It's so exciting, you've got the whole trip ahead of you! I'm becoming a huge fan of staying somewhere cheaper the first night, then you can hit Disney straight away the next day :goodvibes. Awesome that you were able to find an affordable and great place to stay your first night.
Yeah, thanks to the deals we have at work, I got that room for a steal... Only $77 bucks, tax-free!

I feel like I get to re-live your trip with you all over again thanks to all your amazing FB pics! :thumbsup2
I went a little pic crazy on FB, hahaha. But people seemed to be enjoying them, and part of the fun of a solo trip for me is taking all my FB family and friends with me!

joining in the fun! Time to TR it up while waiting for my December trip to roll around!!
Hooray! I'm glad you're here! And it'll be December before you know it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter