I'm Celebrating: Being Awesome - An October 2016 Solo Trip Report - Update 7/24: Hiatus Over! Sorta.

First off you look amazing!

Looks like a good day to start your trip! I always thing I want to do on WDW things but never do.... I did do universal a few times but that's it....

Hotel looks great too!

You look great. The evening looks like a lot of fun. It almost makes me want to check out Orlando. :)

Last edited:

Joining in! Read your December trip report and immediately jumped to catch up on the Oct PTR. You were about 2/3 through, so just lurking until now.

Your reports are awesome, you are looking awesome, awesomeness all the way around.

I love the way you roll, Billie! Can't wait to read more.

Billie, you look fabulous! Love your selfies. I have to agree with kastoney. Living just a 5 hour drive from Disney would put my budget in danger. For now, that drive gets me to the mountains in New Hampshire. Nope, don't ski.., lol. Looking forward to more updates and hearing about the Beach Club.

Looks like a great start to the trip! It was so much fun to follow along on Facebook (each morning I would have to check in to see what park we were visiting today, lol) but now we get all of the extra details! I used to live right off of International Drive when I did my internship at Epcot. That road is crazy with traffic but lots of fun things to do!
I'm so glad you enjoyed the FB posts! I know I went a little overboard, but most people seemed to enjoy it!

Well, you can't really be blamed for comparing the two, even subconsciously. The Georgia Aquarium is truly amazing - but I think this one looks like a lot of fun, too :)
I tried really hard not to compare them! But I did still enjoy myself here, and that's really all that matters! :)

Yum yum yum!
I've wanted to go to one of these places for a while, but we don't have one around. Maybe one of these days I'll experience the deliciousness :)
Same! So being the fatty that I am, I built and entire night around doing it while I was in Orlando, haha.

Such a great picture! I know there are a bazillion of these things now, but I still really like them. We rode the Myrtle Beach one a few years back, and it's so cool to see everything :)
This was my first one ever and really enjoyed it!

Looking forward to reading about your solo trip. :) I've been wanting to go on a solo trip for a while, but for now I'll live vicariously through yours. :)

I've never explored Orlando outside of the Disney resort, but it's definitely on my list for my next long trip!
Do your solo trip, girl! It's the BEST way to travel!

You sure did! I love that top! So adorable!
Thank you! It was in the back of my closet, one of the few pieces that I held onto from years ago, just in case I could ever fit back into it. I'm so glad that I did!

Did you have a whole carriage to yourself?? That would be really cool if you did...sorry I missed if you mentioned that...
I didn't, you can tell in the video, actually. Apparently they don't allow people to go up completely alone, they didn't say why, but it seemed like it was a safety/legal thing. I shared my carriage with a really nice Muslim couple (at least I think the were Muslim, she was wearing a hijab). They were taking pics of each other and then tried to do a selfie, so I offered to take one of them together, and they were very appreciative. They took a non-selfie photo of me too, but I can't find it on my camera so I think I accidentally deleted it. DOH!

So first if cupcake ever needs a home i have the perfect spot on my bed for her to cuddle up in! Seriously prettiest cat i've seen.
I might take you up on that. She's a high holy terror some days. My boys were NEVER as wild as she is! Praying that she outgrows it...

My sister and I have talked about staying off site a night or two, theres so much to do in the area, but for now i think we're sticking to just saying on property and living through reports like yours! The Orlando eye looks like so much fun!
Honestly, the only reason I do it because I drive down and have get such good deals off-property through work. Otherwise I would just fly in and head straight for the Magical Express myself!

p.s I LOVE that shirt! Your so pretty and it complements you wonderfully!
Aww, thank you so much!

I've been to a Brazilian steak house in my town....and I'm vegetarian :) Before we were married, my husband took me and some co-workers there to eat. Well, I could only have salad, and sides....and alcohol...which I drank A LOT of while they ate their meals. I don't remember much except for the fact that the salad was good, but not as good as the drinks. The next morning was not pretty.
Bahaha. See, I think of it as a meat palace, but it's fantastic to know that even a vegetarian can enjoy themselves there!

By the way, you look awesome! Congrats on the weight loss!
Thank you most kindly!

Look at you!! I can't get over how amazing you look!
Thank you!! I gained a good bit back, but I've lost a good bit of THAT already. As of this morning, I'm about 10 lbs over where I was at the beginning of this trip. Hoping to shed those soon so I can feel like I've undone my vacation damage!

Moments like this are why I'm not a vegetarian. Sometimes meat just looks so good...
For real though!!!

Yes! Sea animal picture spam! I love it!!
When in Rome... Or, an Aquarium...

Thanks for the honest assessment! It's definitely rough to form an objective opinion when you've been to a sigificantly better aquarium more recently, but I'm glad you did enjoy it!
I did! Thankfully I had set my expectations low to begin with, haha.

That may be the funniest "not actually a hat" picture ever. Awesome!
(Although I do believe that it's probably a better hat than attraction and people are not meant to ride in such huge deathtraps ... even though your pictures do look pretty)
Oh, psshh! I won't do, like, a ferris wheel at a traveling carnival type thing, but something like this? It's no different from theme park rides, all steel and bolts and foundations that go a million feet into the ground. I feel perfectly safe on these. (Though if you listen on the video, you can hear the music that was playing inside, and at one point not thinking I started to dance a little bit and was immediately like OKAY MAYBE NOT THE BEST IDEA I'VE EVER HAD.)

you look amazing.. Your hair is adorable too.
seriously..
Amazing!
Awww, thank you SO much, Mo!!!

So glad you enjoyed the texas place! we have a few here and i LOVE THEM!!! so yum.
I was so exciting to finally go to one, and I LOOOVED it! Om nom nom!

That's too bad about the aquarium. IF we do drive to Disney in Sept on the way home we plan on stopping at the Georgia and hopefully see Ariana too! all depends!
Let me know how that works out. Depending on your route maybe I could meet up with you along the way. ;)

ohh the eye! Sad you didn't get the car to yourself.. But that is BEAUTIFUL!
Where is the castle??? Hummmmmm????
Too far away to see, sadly. LOL. I tried to time my ride so I would see fireworks, but I missed them. Doh!

Looks great so far! Maybe one day I'll make it over to the Orlando Eye, it looks cool at night!
It was extremely cool! I'm so glad I did it after dark!

You look so great!
Thank you so much!

I ate at a Canadian equivalent in the city I live in once - I wasn't impressed :( I'm not going to hop over to your dining report to see your thoughts on it!
That's a shame! I was SUPER impressed, obviously, haha.

Have you ever touched a stingray? They're really slimy!
I have! They're so weird!

Earlier this year when we were in Orlando, we stayed at the Westgate Palace for a few nights so we could go to Universal (bad idea, that won't happen again), and we could see the Orlando Eye from our hotel room! I thought it was so cool, we really should have went on it! I just stared at it for like half an hour one night, it was all lit up and looking so pretty!
Yes, it's gorgeous! And I love how it changes color every so often, too. It was lavender when I arrived, but by the time I finished the aquarium, they had switched it to white.

Hey there Miss Cutie! Lookin FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!
Why thank you much kindly, ma'am!

Interesting. Did not know this. Well obviously it'd be hard for that not to color your experience in Orlando
Yeah, but it was still fun! I knew to try and keep my expectations low, haha.

Oooooooh, pretty! Then again as you probably guessed from my TR I am a sucker for all things water and foliage
I like fountains, but I never seem to get good photos of them. I was happy at least one turned out!

And what wonderful photos from your Orlando Eye flight.
Yeah, I'm really glad I did it, it was definitely a cool experience.

Oops, neglected to hit that all important "watch" link so I'm just catching up on all you day 1 adventures
I hate when I do that!

First, Casey and you totally have the same princess taste in nail policy
Of course we do, because I have the fashion sense of a 5 year old.

but second oh my Ms. Cupcake!!!! I take it she hasn't calmed down too much lately? How did she do with you gone?
She did fine, the little brat! My mom came by every other day to take care of them, and she took to playing in the back of Mama's hair while she was scooping the litter boxes.

I know I've said this before but me 5 hours from Disney would not be good for anyone, except of course Disney's bottom line.

If 1-4 stresses you out than do not come to DC. You wouldn't even wanna see what we have to deal with quite literally 24/7. But what happens on the beltway stays on the beltway :-)
Yeah, eff that. If I ever come to DC, you're my chauffeur.

Awesome room! Looks like a deluxe to me.
It pretty much was. I loved it!

Cuted up???? That is an understatement. You look gorgeous!!! So proud of you.
D'awww, thank you so much, Kari!

Think I'll skip small and hokey, but good you got to check it out for your peeps.
Yeah, your midget might like it, but I think you;d be bored, haha.

Wow, serious selfie skills there Billie!
Thank ya kindly! When you travel solo as much I do, ya know...

Can I just say looking at this picture completely terrifies me!!!!! I have a major fear of heights and ferris wheels are just about enemy number one on list. We have a similar Orlando eye in DC that despite Casey riding a few times, I've never been on. Even missed the real London eye and waited at the bottom for Jason. Yet I can ride Everest. Makes no sense.
To be fair, this is a LOT higher than Everest for a lot longer. Plus, I think there's an innate sense of safety built into the Disney bubble. I don't much care for boats, but I'll take Disney water taxis, no problem.

Fingers crossed out like a light continues for the rest of the trip. I know how you usually struggle with sleep on vacay
Actually, this issue WILL get addressed later in the TR! I'll keep you in suspense until then. ;)

Liking your TR so far! And you look GREAT!!!
Thank you so much!!

Glad to see you started your new TR! Great start, your hotel does look like a nice one and score on a great rate!
Yeah, I was SUPER happy with it! I've been recommending it to a lot of clients since I've been home.

Finally made it over here, too! Page 4...sigh. I must get better at staying on top of these things!! :) Looks like a great first night out in Orlando! You're so smart doing "research" while you're having fun!! Can't wait to read more!
Please, I'm so far behind on everybody's reports, don't think anything of it, girl! But yeah, it was a pretty great first night for sure!

I can't wait to read the rest of your TR! Going to hop on over and read and follow your DR now :goodvibes
Thanks, I'm glad you're here! :)

You look FANTASTIC!
Thank you so much!

Super fun attractions you got to. I love aquariums wherever they are and could (and do) spend hours in them when I get to one. The eye looks fabulous! You really treated yourself to some fine entertainment there! Dinner looked awesome too! YUM! What a relaxing and nice start to your vacation!
Yes, it was an excellent way to ease into vacation mode, I loved it. I'm going to start doing this on all of my solo trips, I think!

Oh wow Billie you're looking fabulous - well done you :goodvibes
Thank you so very much!

What a lovely first evening you had although the eye capsules look rather small :eek:
Actually, I think they're supposed to be able to accomodate up to 12 people or so, if memory serves. And there was only the three of us in there, so we had plenty of room to move about!

First off you look amazing!
Aw, thank you, ma'am!

Looks like a good day to start your trip! I always thing I want to do on WDW things but never do.... I did do universal a few times but that's it....
I actually considered hitting Universal for the night, but that would have cost me over $100 for just a few hours of fun. Instead, I got to hit two new-ish attractions for a total of $36. Win!

Hotel looks great too!
It was! I loved it, I'll most likely be back in the future!

Finally caught up enough to head over and join in the Awesome Fun! Currently watching The Frog Princess and sipping tea out of my castle mug and enjoying your trip report!
That sounds like a lovely way to spend time, I'm glad me and my TR get to be a part of it!

But of course!! Maybe you should consider "Awesome" for your next MB!
Hahaha. Naaaahh, I'll just stick to the trip dates for now!

I don't care anymore at the horrible selfie thang. They're all goin' up!! Lol!
Yes, I absolutely 100% agree!

You look great. The evening looks like a lot of fun. It almost makes we want to check out Orlando. :)

Joining in! Read your December trip report and immediately jumped to catch up on the Oct PTR. You were about 2/3 through, so just lurking until now.
I'm so glad you're here, and thank you so de-lurking!

Your reports are awesome, you are looking awesome, awesomeness all the way around.
Wow, then I guess I chose the right title for this TR, haha!

I love the way you roll, Billie! Can't wait to read more.
Thanks! Hope to have more up tomorrow! :)

Billie, you look fabulous! Love your selfies. I have to agree with kastoney. Living just a 5 hour drive from Disney would put my budget in danger. For now, that drive gets me to the mountains in New Hampshire. Nope, don't ski.., lol.
It has been a problem for a few years now, actually... I have a family trip coming up in February, but that's it for about a year and a half. I'm forcing myself to stay away from Disney and spend that time taking care of some financial situations (which I've been ignoring and going to Orlando with al my monies instead, haha).

Looking forward to more updates and hearing about the Beach Club.
Coming up next, hopefully will get that update out tomorrow!

It has been a problem for a few years now, actually... I have a family trip coming up in February, but that's it for about a year and a half. I'm forcing myself to stay away from Disney and spend that time taking care of some financial situations (which I've been ignoring and going to Orlando with al my monies instead, haha).

Are you canceling the trip with your mom?

Looking forward to reading your next update! :thumbsup2

Are you canceling the trip with your mom?

Looking forward to reading your next update! :thumbsup2
Ah ha, you caught that, did you? :P And not cancelling, so much as pushing it back a year. Now instead of September 2017, we're doing Sept 2018.

Ah ha, you caught that, did you? :P And not cancelling, so much as pushing it back a year. Now instead of September 2017, we're doing Sept 2018.

Sounds like a good plan! I need to save for a car too but right now I've been in spending mode for the holidays.

I am glad you are not cancelling - it stinks having to be an adult, but now at least you do have a trip on the horizon to plan and get excited for :D

I finally remembered to read this. I was thinking that I was missing out on reading about Billie, and lo and behold, there's a whole trip report that I hadn't started reading yet. Tejas de Brzail looks really good. We have done the Eye in London, and it was really cool. Can you see a lot of the parks, WDW and Universal, from the Orlando Eye? From your other pictures, I can totally tell that you have lost a lot of weight. You look so good and so cute in your pics:)

Sounds like a good plan! I need to save for a car too but right now I've been in spending mode for the holidays.
Oh God, the holidays! I haven't even start yet! I'm always one of those last-minute people, cleaning the stores out of all their gift cards.

I am glad you are not cancelling - it stinks having to be an adult, but now at least you do have a trip on the horizon to plan and get excited for :D
That was my thought, too! I already have the countdown for it set up on my phone, haha.

I finally remembered to read this. I was thinking that I was missing out on reading about Billie, and lo and behold, there's a whole trip report that I hadn't started reading yet.
I was wondering where you were! Glad you found me again!

Tejas de Brzail looks really good. We have done the Eye in London, and it was really cool. Can you see a lot of the parks, WDW and Universal, from the Orlando Eye?
You could probably see at least Universal, but at night anything more than a couple blocks away just looks like OOOH PRETTY LIGHTS!

From your other pictures, I can totally tell that you have lost a lot of weight. You look so good and so cute in your pics:)
Awww, thank you so much!

DAY 2
October 21st, 2016 - Friday
Arrival at Disney's Beach Club Resort!

After a great night's sleep in my super comfy bed, I awoke bright and early... It's time to go to Disney World, omg omg omg!

nnFwGHgE4Mk5W.gif

I got up and quickly rounded up my things and packed them up, and got myself ready to go for the day!

20161021_073800-1.jpg

I tried, but the flower and the tiara just did NOT work together, so I ended up ditching the tiara. GASP, shocking, I know... But I had bought the flower specifically to go with this shirt, so by gawd I was wearing it!

I left my excellent room and headed down to the lobby where check-out was a breeze, and then over to the attached TGIFriday's. They offer a breakfast buffet for hotel guests, and I figured that would be a great way to start my day!

136WPdsRju60Pm.gif

...I was so wrong. It was pretty terrible. I mean, the food itself was okay, just a step above what you would get at a regular hotel breakfast that does hot items. The biggest problem was the service. Now I don't know if they just weren't used to crazies like me coming in as soon as they opened, or what. But after I was shown to my table, and waited. And waited. And then waited some more.

ZXKZWB13D6gFO.gif

All the employees were just standing around chatting. Finally I got up and asked one of them what the deal was, and she said she'd go get my server. And she did, and my server was very nice. And then promptly vanished again. No less than 3 times did I have to grab a random employee and ask them to find me server for me. It was pretty bad. Definitely not work the $15 (with very small tip) that I paid.

So while I would most definitely stay at this hotel again, it's very unlikely I was eat at the attached TGIFriday's again. At least not for breakfast at 6am, since apparently the servers are all still asleep.

pVkmGyqYRt4qY.gif

But, the good news... That was the worst part of my day! I headed out the parking lot, hopped in my rental car, plugged in the address for my Disney resort, and off I went! Traffic was easy breezy, and before too long, I was driving under this:

20151204_121239.jpg

And I was feeling all like:

3oEjHCiAhQ8Kl0Skz6.gif

And the elation only escalated when I saw:

beach-club-sign.png

And then I was all:

l2SpXyO9TOJCrCbo4.gif

...I was pretty excited, ya'll. For real.

So I pulled up to the front and was greeted by a nice CM from Bell Services. I explained that I was here to check-in but I was quite certain that my room wouldn't be ready at this hour, and that I just wanted to put my things in storage until I got back to the resort tonight. She unloaded my things and scanned my band, then drove off and parked my car. On the short walk back to the front entrance, I snapped a few selfies:

20161021_082449.jpg

20161021_082537.jpg

I headed inside, and was greeted by a most beautiful lobby!

20161021_083724.jpg
'

20161021_083732.jpg

I really loved returning to this every night, so warm and welcoming!

Then I headed over to the check-in desk and was greeted by a LOVELY cast member who's name started with an E and who's face I can see perfectly but cannot recall her name to save my life. (Bad Billie!) She was VERY sweet, though!

On my online check-in, I had requested a high-floor and full balcony room, and also let her know that I no longer needed it to be Handicap Accessible. (In the past I've preferred those rooms because they have a little fold down seat in the shower, but my health has improved so much over the past year that I no longer had dizzy spells, and was pretty sure that I wouldn't be experiencing as much pain and weakness in my legs at the end of the day.) She made a couple phone calls, but was told that due to being a full house that night, there was no way they could move me, and that I would be on the 1st floor. Oh well, no big deal! I thanked her for trying. She got me all checked in, and took my phone number so that I could be texted with my room number once it was ready for me.

You know what that means, ya'll... It's time to go play!

2eLAwdushm3cI.gif

But first, I had to pick up my ride. I walked over to the Bell Services counter, and explained that I was picking up an ECV left for me by Buena Vista Scooters. They got my name, and a guy walked into the back. He came back out with a shiny brand new one for me!

Some of you who have read my previous reports might remember that I have had problems with this company's equipment being pretty old and banged up. (In fact, on my last trip in December 2015 I gave a different company a try but their battery life on their scooters was crap, so that's why I decided to come back to Buena Vista.) Maaaan, did they do right by me this time! It was almost perfect. The only weird thing about it was one arm rest hung down at a strange angle, and of course, that was the one that they strapped the cup holder to, so I lost my drink a few times. But other than that, it was awesome. And the battery never once dipped below about 70%, even when I was running it from park open to park close!

RrzvpQ07LjXHO.gif

From there, I headed out the back doors and made my way down to the boat dock so that I could catch my water taxi. I think I had just missed one, and the dock was practically empty when I arrived, so I took a quick snapshot looking back at the Beach Club. (Also just realize that I'm pretty sure I can see my room is in this photo!)

20161021_084615.jpg

My boat finally arrived, I boarded, and we were off! Funny thing... I actually kinda hate boats that are any smaller than an ocean liner. They make me super nervous. But water taxis at Disney? No problem! #disneybubble

I think I'll stop here for this post, so the next one can start off the park touring fun!

Up Next... Hollywood Studios, Part 1!

Last edited:
The hotel looks so nice. I can't wait to check in on 12/30 for our first stay. That's great the you got such a nice scooter. It's like getting a new rental car, but even better.

You made it!! You're there! And in a sweet spot, no less. Glad the scooter was a breeze this time! Wahooty, but dang it, I wish the breakfast had been a better experience for you. Slow service when you're raring to go doubly stinks.

Cute shirt! I also LOVE the tiara and flower combo. I think they work together quite nicely actually.

Traffic was easy breezy, and before too long, I was driving under this:
20151204_121239.jpg

Ahhhhh, HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love::love::love::love::love::love:

Gorgeous selfie!

but my health has improved so much over the past year that I no longer had dizzy spells,

That's fantastic!

Beach Club's lobby really is beautiful. I may or may not have taken a whole bunch of pics before my Cape May breakfast. Can't wait to read about the rest of your day.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SO SO SO So exciting!!!
raw

2.gif

you entered the bubble! The resort is so beautiful!!!! I can't imagine coming home to it every night!! I am just elated for you!

635984209376310140-1086753660_tumblr_mxhsu6xNzf1qbjp8bo1_r1_500.gif

You look amazing! love the flower in your hair! and happy yay on a shiny new scooter! WHOOP!!!

cannot wait to read MORE!!!

Love the blue flower! Very cute.

The only weird thing about it was one arm rest hung down at a strange angle, and of course, that was the one that they strapped the cup holder to, so I lost my drink a few times.

This still makes me giggle every time I think about it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter