Im Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaccckkk!!!!!

Dom13

Pin Pics Graphics Dept.
Hi all! I had a great trip!! Got to meet up with many Pin Pals, caught Scoop's Pin Talk, and even got to do some animating! As many of you know I went down to attend the Disney Institute "Drawn to be Bad" animation event. It was a VERY full 5 days!! Seminars in the AM, drawing in the afternoon, and guest speakers and films at night. And they even gave us a couple of pins!!

The event started with a BANG Sunday night as they took us over to the animation studio in MGM and fed us a multi-course dinner in the atrium where the animators, etc. eat. Unfortunately they could not show us much other than some concept art for an "upcoming feature" that takes place in the Northwest and features Bears. They then took us over to watch Fantasmic from the VIP section and even served us awesome desserts! Early the next morning we were introduced to the animators and artists that would be working with us, many of which have been doing this event for all or most of it's 5 year history. We then got our assignment and after lunch started in on our story line. We were broken up into teams of 8 - 10 and were set loose. We spent most of that afternoon and part of the next morning coming up with our story and refining our character designs. Once we had our story boards approved by one of the instructors we began animating, cleaning up, pencil testing, coloring and getting the timing down for our 10 second segment. We did over 180 drawngs for that 10 seconds of film! On Friday we had the "World Premiere" at the Theatre and watched it 3 times! We then headed off to the California Grill for our Wrap Party.
I was the first to start animating (yes I was chomping at the bit!) from our group and ended up doing all the key frames, in-betweens and clean-ups for my scene. The others in my group did some great stuff also and it was great watching everyone achieve things they were not sure they could and/or knew how to do. It was interesting the different abilities that everyone brought to the table. Some had strong story and staging skills, others could lay out a scene (storyboard) quickly and interestingly while others could draw and/or animate. It was great seeing this diverse group come together as a team.

One of the most fun things being amongst other animation enthuisiasts. People that new the films and characters, both Disney and non-Disney. I would HIGHLY recommend this event to anyone interested in animation. You DO NOT need to know how to draw. Story skills and even coloring skills (if you can stay inside the lines :)) are just as important. It is a little expensive but you do get ALOT for your $$. We started each day at 8am with a continental breakfast, instruction 'til around noon, lunch, animated/drew/storyboarded etc. until around 5pm, meet and greets with the evening's guest speaker(s), then the evening presentations began at 7:30 with a feature and at least 1 short afterwards. We usually finished around 10pm! I hope to have the tape and be able to show it at the Fall Foliage Meet.

The Wrap Party was like our last day of high school! Everyone was signing drawings, posters, books and exchanging e-mail addresses. Many new freindships were started here. I really hope I get to do this again!!

Glad to see that you made it home safely, it sure was good to see you when you were here...sounds like you had a ball!!

Welcome back!

I had to fend off the "goody goodies" in Thursday night chat all alone and it will be good to have a fellow villain at my side this week.

Glad to hear that you had a great time. Did you create a villain? Perhaps a "mini me"? Lets see, the "hate child" of Me and Red (Looks like me with Red hair, Devlyn), or perhaps a little girl with flaming yellow hair and a green misty boa (Goldafire, sorry Queenie, but our secret is out!).

Dude, lets get a story board goin'.

Engr-Chas
Lord of the Want to Buy the Rights?

Goldafire? LOL!!! Sir Chas, thy imagination is a constant source of amusement to the Queen. I can assure thee that there shall not be such a child, no matter how much thou might wish it to be so. And do not try to entice me with the promise of an ethereal green boa as you have removed yours against my wishes. No child of mine will ever wear green!

Dom,

I'm so glad it was everything you hoped for. Can't wait to see you and your artistic accomplishments. Wish it was September 14th already!

Cynthia

Dom,

Thanks for telling all the details, sounds like you had a awesome time!!! Looks like something I might be interested in doing next year. I'd have to start brushing up on my drawing skills, but my coloring skills are in tact. I do have a question, is there an age restriction on attending this? Dean, is very interested in animation and drawing.

The Queenie has rejected our child. Poor Little Goldafire will be raised by Pain, Panic and the Fates.

It is a dark day in the Underworld and that's the way that I like it!!!

Engr-Chas
Lord of the Nanny

Lori - I do not know of an age restriction. I do not think I would send anyone less than 16. They should also be very interested in cartooning/art/animation. Almost all of the program was PG. About the only thing that wasn't was a couple life drawings in the portfolio review seminar. They were very sketchy and nothing worse than you might see in a peice of renaisance artwork in a museum. If you and or he are going to be at the Sept. event I would love to see his work.

Cynthia - Not sure what I'll have in Sept. but I do have the rough animation I did. I also have a few B & B freebies they gave out for Leslie.

Dom glad to hear you had a great time... Welcome home.

WoW Dom...sounds like you had a blast at the Drawn to be Bad event!!!

Glad you had a safe trip home...!

Buggin'
Amber

Hey Dom, it was great seeing you and trading with you at the Poly...I've got Nani and David put aside so we can perhaps work out a trade.
Thanks for your super trip report!

Dom,

I just realized that I responded to your thread and didn't say anything about your trip! I got distracted with Sir Chas' talk of a baby of all things!

Well, it sounds like it was a great time, and I can't wait til October to see the Connecticut premiere of your movie! It must have been so interesting to go through the whole process of making an animated movie.

Oh, and guess what? I think I am actually going to get to the Sept. pin meet! See you then!:D

Dom,

Sounds like you had a great time; it was the perfect event for you! Can't wait to see what you created while you were there; please bring it to our next meet!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter