Illuminations/Wishes Cruise for proposing...which one? why/why not

gabbygrennell

Mouseketeer
Help!!!
I have read over these boards thousands of times and I cannot make up my mind!!
I really need the help of my soul mate, but the surprise is for her so that wont work!
Here is the scenario...
The two of us, our 3 kids, 12, 8, 5.
I want to take our family on a cruise either wishes or illuminations...
this is going to be a complete surprise to them all... but the big big surprise is me proposing to her.

I thought illuminations would be really awesome to be that close, but have some concerns about the noise/smoke. My bigger concern is that from what I have read, you are so close to the other boats, it really isnt private, and for this I would like it as private as possilbe. Obvioulsy we are in disney there wont be any completely private event....haha! But none the less, if you are only feet away from other boats, and all the people crowded around the edges, why pay all that money? So, can you tell me why or why not to do illuminations?

As for wishes, we would get the boat with the music piped in... but are we too far away... we usually watch from main street... are you going to feel like you are way away, can you see the castle well? Someone said you can see main street is this true?
Are there other boats right near you, or is it a little more private than illuminations? See, I desperately need the help of you have experienced this! Thanks soooo much!!!!

I need to make up my mind within 4 days and I just cant decide which one!
I know you all should have plenty of advice!
Thanks guys!

Hi,

I proposed on the Wishes cruise and I wouldn't have done it any other way. The view of the fireworks was great, much better than fighting for a good spot in MK. As well, the other cruise boats were not close at all which was a real plus. As far as seeing main street I dont know how that is possible, I don't remember being able to see it.

If you want it to be private the Wishes cruise is probably the better choice.

I have been on the Illuminations Cruise 4 times, excellant; but; if its privacy you want, you are correct, the other boats are practically touching, not to mention all the other viewers standing on top the bridge walkway . The Wishes cruise sounds better, although I have never been on that cruise.

I've never been on either, but I just wanted to say I hope everything goes well whatever you decide. :)

Thakns for the input guys!!!
I am definitely thinking it will have to be wishes! jMaybe the next trip we can do illuminations...
but I do think a little privacy would be great! Besides, how often do you get a great view of the fireworks, without a million other people around?

And, it sounds like a lot of people have seen the electrical water parade from the boat as well! That would be an added bonus!
So, I guess I will prepare myself for the calling to schedule it!
Thanks again!

I say Wishes!

You're proposing to your princess so you must be in sight of the castle. We did a Wishes cruise last year and it was wonderful. We chose to depart from Wilderness Lodge and it was a nice leisurely ride over to the area in front of the MK. Along the way we saw the Electric Water Pageant. We water parked in front of the castle (but not too close, kind of in the middle of the lagoon) and the view was spectacular. No, you can't see Main Street - mostly because the view is obscured by the train station - but the castle you can see in all it's glory. The fireworks reflect in the water and it is nothing short of magnificent.

We did it the last night of our trip and every memeber of our family from ages 2-35 (7 of us total) said this was the highlight of the trip. You can ask your driver to "take the long way" back to the hotel from which you departed and it is just wonderful to just wind down and talk about how great it was.

Congratulations and I hope everything is even more magical than our perfect night. But definitely the Wishes Cruise is the way to go.

I would have said Wishes too. :) It's my favorite! Best of luck! I"m sure it will be perfect!!!

We did the wishes cruise last summer, and I think it would be a perfect way to propose! It is an intimate and romantic setting, and our kids were occupied by the whole boat and driver and what we were doing that dh and I shared a romantic trip together (a rarity with 4 children and a grandmother traveling with you :-). We departed from the GF after a lovely dinner at Park Faire with Cinderella and gang. Hope your proposal is dream come true :-)

We did both last OCt., Illuminations was a "birthday cruise". As mentioned, you will have an audience (we had people singing along with us!).

So yes, Wishes is it. Unless... If you could work out a deal for the driver to pick you up or drop you off near the wedding pavilion on the way to see Illuminations, that could be cool! Officialy the answer would probably be no, but if you talk to your driver the day before, you might be able to make a deal.

To answer your other questions: The lake/lagoon is big, so you can actually get some privacy for Wishes. Although you're farther away, you get a very nice show with the castle being the center of attention (you don't always get that in the park).

you guys are so great!!!
I am even more excited now than ever! Wishes it is for us! Cant wait to start dialing for our reservation!
thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter