IKEA in Saudi Arabia: gender equality vs. cultural sensitivity

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by Pea-n-Me, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Pea-n-Me

Pea-n-Me DIS Veteran

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. RitaE

RitaE DIS Veteran

Some cultural aspects don't deserve sensitivity

4. luvmy3

luvmy3 <font color=green>When I drink I find its easier t

I think if Ikea really wanted to make a statement about their values they wouldn't do business in Saudi Arabia at all.

5. Pigeon

Pigeon DIS Veteran

Yup. And I agree that if the company really is principled, they'll be willing to forego whatever sales are lost by the scandalous inclusion of fully dressed women in the catalog.

6. Art 1

Art 1 DIS Veteran

Nothing new. Maybe for Ikea but nothing new for western ads to be altered in magazines in KSA. Been going on for a long time.

7. Magpie

Magpie DIS Veteran

It's all foolishness. The woman is fully dressed, covered ankle to wrist, in a private bathroom with her husband and children. She's behaving in a completely appropriate manner, even for Saudi culture.

The Saudis don't have a problem with images of women. They have a problem with images showing women's bare flesh (of which the IKEA's mom is showing none).

Here's how the Saudis dealt with Katy Perry...

[​IMG]

IKEA, on the other hand, would have had an empty lawn chair in front of a white picket fence! :lmao:

Here's a great article on it: http://observers.france24.com/conte...e-album-magazine-covers-censorship-marker-pen

The IKEA catalogue was already well within Saudi guidelines. Someone over-reacted, possibly due to ignorance of Saudi law.

8. Pea-n-Me

Pea-n-Me DIS Veteran

Agree. They admit now that as a company, the erred.