If you take a laptop...

la79al

DIS Veteran
What do you do with it when you arrive? We are taking DME to Pop but our room may not be ready. We are then heading to Epcot. It's a company laptop so DH is super paranoid about it but at the same time doesn't really want to carry it around Epcot all day.

I was going to say the same thing, but Just make sure that you can ID your laptop when you leave it and return for it.:cool2:

Leave it with Bell service. They will tag it and give you a claim check, they will even take it to your room once it become available. I've done this twice.

Have the manager put it in the "front desk safe" where you come back for it. Having the bellhop take it to your room is just as unsafe as leaving it exposed in your room while you are out for the day.

AFAIK all hotels and motels have a safe intended for the manager to hold guests' valuables.

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/disney.htm

I would assume Epcot has lockers like the other parks... he can always use one and get it out when you leave the park.

What do you do with it when you arrive? We are taking DME to Pop but our room may not be ready. We are then heading to Epcot. It's a company laptop so DH is super paranoid about it but at the same time doesn't really want to carry it around Epcot all day.

if you leave it with Bell Services they place it in a locked room with the rest of your stuff.

When you do get your room at POP you'll find the safes are a bit larger than the ones at other resorts. My laptop fit in there just fine standing up on one end. But you'll have to get your room first.:thumbsup2

Since its his companys why not just leave it at home

Just guessing but he probably needs it for work. My DH has to take his company's laptop as well for work reasons as the computer has special access software on it that he has to have with him. Even on vacation my DH is still on call for certain situations.

I always leave mine with Bell Services too. I always leave it in the room too whenever I go anywhere and I've never had a problem. I do put it in a drawer but all I do to "hide" it.

Since its his companys why not just leave it at home

I'm "encouraged" to take my laptop with me, in the event that a question comes up while I'm off having fun that cannot wait until I get back. And I'm one of the lucky ones. I work with many folks who MUST answer their phones or Blackberries/Droids/I-Phones ASAP in the event of a work emergency.

That's just the reality of business for a lot of peeps.

if you leave it with Bell Services they place it in a locked room with the rest of your stuff.

Actually, if you ask for "secure storage" it will be put in a locked security enclosure inside the room. This is particularly important if it is a cruise departure day, because the normal bag room might be overflowing, but those items designated for secure storage will still get locked up.

. Having the bellhop take it to your room is just as unsafe as leaving it exposed in your room while you are out for the day.

We have left one, two, actually up to three laptops in hotel rooms all over the place and have never once worried about housekeeping stealing it from our room, or housekeeping leaving the door open while they run for more towels and someone stealing it. We put it back in it's bag, put the bag somewhere out of the way, and go about our day.

I would hate to have our laptops stolen, but that's what insurance is for, and our stuff is regularly backed up elsewhere. I can't imagine taking the time to check our laptops in with the manager every time we want to leave the hotel for the day. Is that what you're suggesting? Seems like a lot of work.

i have a luggage lock that uses a number combo not a key. we put all our valuables in one carryone with that lock and checked it when we went to the park our first day. we had no problems, in the room we then locked all the stuff in the same suitcase when we went to the parks for the day so we didnt worry.

I thought for sure someone had mentioned this, but I see they haven't. Whoops.

I and DH have laptop locks for our laptops.

They're like bicycle locks, but they fit into a place on the back of the laptop - I know all Dells and IBM's have the spot for one and I'm pretty sure almost all other laptops have 'em. It's just a big loop of metal wire that can't be cut with a wire snip, it has a loop end on one end and a lock on the other. You thread the metal loop through a BIG piece of furniture or some immovable object in the room (light fixtures are good as are tv stands and beds) and then lock the lock end to your laptop.

Voila! The laptop isn't going anywhere.

Here are some that Kensington makes http://us.kensington.com/html/17687.html with illustrations to explain better what I just described.

Your DH should be able to call the IT Helpdesk of his company and get one - they usually have them to lend out.

ETA: I should've checked out the Kensington website better. Here are some approximately $25 Combination locks - and they're more illustrative of how the whole laptop lock thing works! http://us.kensington.com/html/17688.html

If you buy a laptop lock be sure to get the combination type, not the kind with a barrel key lock. It is super-easy to pick a barrel-key lock by disassembling a basic ballpoint "stick" pen and using the barrel of the pen as a key; it's exactly the right size.

hi everyone, I just wanted to throw in one word of caution. we had set up a transfer of luggage from ssr to vwl. Luggage services came to our room at ssr and gave us tags for each bag. we had a duffle bag that was completely closed with a macbook pro in a soft sided case and a couple jackets in there. when the luggage arrived at vwl the duffle bag showed up quite a bit lighter. jackets were there and the bag was zipped but the laptop was missing. I know it's my fault for leaving it in there and will never know at what point of the process it was taken but it was very upsetting. The manager at the wilderness lodge was nice in trying to help out but in the end we were given a phone number to call which had limited hours and after weeks of trying to at least see if it was investigated was told they could not prove we had a laptop with us. In the end in not mad at Disney just mad at ourselves and have learned a valuable lesson.

Sorry for the long winded response but just a word of caution, be careful who you give it to..

Thanks for all of above persons for giving their comments. Please keep it up, it will solve problems and will enhance of knowledge of every one. :hippie:

I think you got some great ideas here but my initial reaction when someone suggested taking it to the park & putting it in a locker was...will WDW security have any problem with this? I don't know, I mean we all bring in cameras, but does anyone else think it may be a problem? I personally would check it in with either the hotel safe or bell services secured area....but once you get the room I never had a problem leaving it out, hiding it under clothes in a drawer or in the wall safe at POP too as another poster said. Tell DH it will be okay :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter