If You See It: Eat It! Via Panama to Disneyland - Completed and Link to New Trip Report 2/24

The hotel looks amazing.Many people from our Facebook group have decided to stay at the Doubletree together and it's going to be great fun, but this hotel looks definitely interesting, too.

Unfortunately, strange bathroom design has become an international trend, I traveled a lot for work and have seen the weirdest things in hotel rooms, it seems that for some chains, being different is more important than practicality.

Did you particularly like other shops at Sawgrass Mills, too? We'll stop there in August on our way from Key West to Port Canaveral (Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy :yay:). As a Big Bang Theory fan I'm looking forward to lunch at the Cheesecakefactory.

I am going to do a combined update since we did not do a lot of special things during these days. We just enjoyed hanging out, spending time at the pool and the beach, having breakfast at Starbucks (where I fell in love with the cinnamon coffee cake and the Valencia Orange Refresher, both not available here in Germany…), meeting friends of Michael etc.
Pictures??????

The W Hotel in Fort Lauderdale was a very elegant place, had kind of a night club feel about it (I guess that’s what the chain goes for), but I found it still warm and welcoming.
It looks very elegant, modern and beachy!

Yes, that’s through the pool. This is the view looking back once you are on the pool deck:

DSC02736.jpg

I like the pool with a view!

But who in the hell designs stuff like that?

I think it was kind of fashionable for some time. I've been to hotels before with glass between room and bathroom, but never between shower and room. But a hotel with extreme names for room types has to have other extreme things as well, I guess...

I guess this is all I can tell you about the three days in Fort Lauderdale. We had some good food, but nothing picture worthy. We returned to Five Guys, they are still good. Otherwise we tried to not to overdo the eating as we knew that we had a 15 night cruise with plenty of free (or included in the cruise fare) food coming up. There will be more food pictures once we are onboard the ship!

Again: Where are the pictures of the Cinnamon Coffee Cake and the Valencia Orange Refresher? I think we established already that you don't have only American readers...

Count me in! We used to go to FLL for the YMCA Short Course Nationals in April. I remember walking past that W in the sidewalk! Your room was so nice, and being able to sit on the balcony to watch the ocean must have been so relaxing.

I am really happy with my collection as well! Of course, they live in a box that is in another box and nearly never come out. I am thinking of coming up with a way of actually displaying them. Afterall, I get them because I like what they look like...

I finally got most of mine in some sort of display- I am using cork squares to put the pins in and then have them on the wall.

I guess the line is when you start getting sand in your face...

Yes that is line.... ::yes::

And you are the pool expert!! So it must be a very unique feature!! :thumbsup2

Especially for the hotel pool.

I think the blinds prevent anyone in the bedroom area from seeing you under the shower! But it works the other way around, too. Why would I want to see the unmade bed during my morning shower? The window was too far away and at an angle so that you would not have had a view of the sea from the shower...

Maybe the design was intended to have that view of the ocean from the shower, but clearly that didn't work. :confused:

:lmao: I think normally they don't come back that quickly!/
:rotfl2: I bet that is what caught your attention....

I think they were just afraid that he would get into a situation that would have been really dangerous to him. The waves were really strong and it was actually quite difficult to just stand in the water without being tossed around by the waves.

Always glad to hear when there are Lifeguards on the beach. So often now they are none and you need to "swim at your own risk" and well that sometimes does not end well.

So glad to see you have started your new TR! I look forward to reading all about your trip. The Panama Canal is an itinerary I am interested in doing some day.

That pool is really neat, and the beach near your hotel was really pretty. Too bad there was too much wind to enjoy it. I agree that bathroom and shower is really strange.

Hi Magdalene, I followed you here from Corinna's trip report. I can't recall having seen a trip report from you in ages so I was really pleased to see you were doing one for this cruise, particularly since we are sailing the Panama canal with DCL next May (I am so excited).

Your hotel at the beach looked fabulous - and what a view from your balcony. Love the parade of cruise ships :thumbsup2

I will be very interested to see all the things you get up to during your trip and afterwards as we are debating whether to make the journey up to Disneyland following our cruise.

Please post some more very soon :flower3:

I just read through your 2013 trip report pretty much in one seating with just a couple of breaks for some food. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

You need to come and visit us in the UK. We have the Valencia Orange Refresha at Starbucks and while we were away on this trip, Five Guys opened a branch right here in Manchester. I am hoping that I get to try this before the month is out.

Sawgrass Mills looks amazing. We have been to Ontario Mills in California and Tempe Mills in Arizona and thoroughly enjoyed shopping there. Well done for getting the pin for your collection.

I really like the hotel and that pool just looks amazing, but some of the design elements seem to be a little odd.

Corinna

Great trip report so far and happy to have found it. We'll be on the WBPC next May (but unfortunately we don't get the Key West day), looking to forward to reading about your experience. Definitely jealous of adding on the time at Disneyland afterwards, what a great vacation and how hard was that afterwards to go back to everyday life?!

Love your comment about the bathroom! But the hotel looks like it's a great location! Looking forward to reading more and pics! :)

Great update Magdalene !!! That pool was different !!! The pins are fantastic !! I also have to display all mine I think I need a cork board . It will beat having them on lanyards hanging on my dresser !!!

I know what you mean. It's interesting (and frustrating) that my husband, who is not a big Disney fan but enjoyed his first visit to a Disneypark last year at DLP, has no problem at all telling people before and after we went there and then spends a lot of energy explaining them, why this isn't a crazy idea. Maybe that's just because he's new to this... But it was kind of counterproductive as I knew in advance whom to tell we would stop at DLP on our way to Normandy and whom to tell we would stop in Paris. And he blew it all by telling everyone :confused3

Ah well, he still needs to learn. And he needs to realise that he wants to travel to WDW or Disneyland - there appears to be still a lot of work necessary it seems... :rolleyes1

Pictures??????

Sorry!!!

It looks very elegant, modern and beachy!

I thought it was very well designed, the colours were great for the beach and it transformed well from day to night.

I like the pool with a view!

That was a great feature. There is a big street between the hotel and the beach, but at the pool you did not notice that at all. That certainly added to the atmosphere at the pool.

I think it was kind of fashionable for some time. I've been to hotels before with glass between room and bathroom, but never between shower and room. But a hotel with extreme names for room types has to have other extreme things as well, I guess...

Yes, it seems to be some design fashion. And when you read reviews on tripadvisor about those hotels, nearly every second review complains about it...

Again: Where are the pictures of the Cinnamon Coffee Cake and the Valencia Orange Refresher? I think we established already that you don't have only American readers...

I am sooo sorry! Maybe we can convince one of my readers to take a picture for you??? Or you need to travel to the UK since Corinna reports that they have the Valencia Orange Refresher there (I guess that means that we get it next year...).

The hotel looks amazing.Many people from our Facebook group have decided to stay at the Doubletree together and it's going to be great fun, but this hotel looks definitely interesting, too.

Unfortunately, strange bathroom design has become an international trend, I traveled a lot for work and have seen the weirdest things in hotel rooms, it seems that for some chains, being different is more important than practicality.

Did you particularly like other shops at Sawgrass Mills, too? We'll stop there in August on our way from Key West to Port Canaveral (Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy :yay:). As a Big Bang Theory fan I'm looking forward to lunch at the Cheesecakefactory.

Sounds like you have a very active group going on!! Since I am not on Facebook, I am sure I missed out on some of the activity for planning on our cruise. But then, while I love meeting individual DISers, I am not huge on group activities.

And I hear you on the bathroom design. I like to check tripadvisor before I book a hotel not only for the general reviews, but also for pictures and comments on things like that as often the official website does not tell you the full story.

Sawgrass Mills is kind of fun. It seems to be filled with overseas visitors. I certainly heard more non-English speakers among the customers than English-speakers. And if they spoke English, lots had a British accent. :goodvibes

I like the Tommy Bahama shop for fun cruise wear (bought a dress there last year and one this year). Also, this is a shop that has their normal stuff, just at a discount. There are other shops that seem to have special lines just for the outlet (for example Nike). And some brands seem to have different things for the American market as for the European market. I was very disappointed for example with the Tommy Hilfiger stuff there. But there are plenty of shops and nearly everything is much cheaper than you would pay in Europe for something equal. The Disney outlet can have really nice Disney stuff, too. However, for Disney outlet stuff I would recommend the one in Orlando that we visited last time, it was much larger.

Count me in! We used to go to FLL for the YMCA Short Course Nationals in April. I remember walking past that W in the sidewalk! Your room was so nice, and being able to sit on the balcony to watch the ocean must have been so relaxing.

:welcome:

The balcony was really nice, we did sit out there two evenings and it was wonderful!

So glad to see you have started your new TR! I look forward to reading all about your trip. The Panama Canal is an itinerary I am interested in doing some day.

That pool is really neat, and the beach near your hotel was really pretty. Too bad there was too much wind to enjoy it. I agree that bathroom and shower is really strange.

:welcome:

I was really happy staying at the beach in a beautiful hotel. And being able to see the beach everyday was a huge plus, even if we did not spend so much time there...

I am sooo sorry! Maybe we can convince one of my readers to take a picture for you??? Or you need to travel to the UK since Corinna reports that they have the Valencia Orange Refresher there (I guess that means that we get it next year...).

This is the second year that we have had the Valencia Orange Refresher. It replaced the Cool Lime Refresher last year and the Berry Hibiscus Refresher this year.

Corinna

Hi Magdalene! :wave2:

Great trip report so far -- can't wait to hear more. :goodvibes

And I have to say I love a group of folks who are already planning their Disney vacations for 2017. :thumbsup2

I popped over here after noticing your link in your signature from Corinna's TR. I love to hear differing views from people on the same trip.

We are sailing out of Miami on the October 31st cruise and you have already given us an idea of what to do since we arrive 36 hours before embarkation. Love a big mall with a Disney store! :thumbsup2

We're considering doing the WBPC in 2017, so it will be great to hear all about it. Looking forward to the rest of this and especially since you spent a week in my home park!

hey Magdalene! :hug::hug:

I LOVE the W Hotels- I have stayed at a couple in NYC- the are just SO cool! :cool2: Thanks for showing all the pics of this one- I am SOLD on yours!:thumbsup2

SO- this is Micheal from when I met you? Yay! Very happy development on the more friendly status!

So crazy about the guy in the water- very glad someone came to help.

And good job getting the rate! :cheer2: Kinda stressful- glad it worked for you! :)

Ok- I am signing on for more- I will try my BEST to be a more constant companion than I have been as of late. :rolleyes1

Hi Magdalene, I followed you here from Corinna's trip report. I can't recall having seen a trip report from you in ages so I was really pleased to see you were doing one for this cruise, particularly since we are sailing the Panama canal with DCL next May (I am so excited).

Your hotel at the beach looked fabulous - and what a view from your balcony. Love the parade of cruise ships :thumbsup2

I will be very interested to see all the things you get up to during your trip and afterwards as we are debating whether to make the journey up to Disneyland following our cruise.

Please post some more very soon :flower3:

:welcome: I think you used to follow my dining reviews! :goodvibes I hope you will have a fabulous cruise next May! Those long voyages are rather special.

Since it is going to take me a while to get to the Disneyland portion I am going to tell you now that I absolutely loved it. If you can spare the time and the money, I think it is a great add on to the vacation. Just be preparred that the parks will be crowded. Most of the days lines were manageable, especially if you used fastpass or single rider lines (they have plenty of those at DL and DCA and they work great), but since Disneyland has less space overall, the walkways can get really busy. Some days I found that challenging. It is also grad night season when a lot of teenagers have a party at DCA, but also get admission to both parks for that day, so that added to the crowds. We also ended up with being there for the 24 hour day and that was not so great. Not sure about next years dates for the WBPC, but there are strong rumours that the 24 hour day will become a yearly thing on the Friday before Memorial Day. By my calculation that would be May 23 next year.

I just read through your 2013 trip report pretty much in one seating with just a couple of breaks for some food. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

You need to come and visit us in the UK. We have the Valencia Orange Refresha at Starbucks and while we were away on this trip, Five Guys opened a branch right here in Manchester. I am hoping that I get to try this before the month is out.

Sawgrass Mills looks amazing. We have been to Ontario Mills in California and Tempe Mills in Arizona and thoroughly enjoyed shopping there. Well done for getting the pin for your collection.

I really like the hotel and that pool just looks amazing, but some of the design elements seem to be a little odd.

Corinna

Wow! I am happy I could provide some weekend entertainment and am glad that you enjoyed it! I need to go back and finish it up with a few more pictures from DLP...

I had no idea Five Guys was coming to the UK... I really need to get back to England. I used to visit there so much (even had a boyfriend living in Hereford for quite some time) and now haven't been back for three or four years...

What a truly amazing hotel in terms of laceration and decor. :thumbsup2

Nice find on the pin. :woohoo:

It was a very nice hotel!

Hi Pam! Great to see you here! :welcome:
The next update has been written, but it needs proofreading and I am too tired to day. So, it should be up tomorrow evening!

Herzlich Willkommen!! I see that I have found the second Austrian DISer (I wonder whether there are more of you here... :goodvibes). It's quite amazing that I now have five readers who speak German for this trip report!! When I started reading the DIS it seems that there were no other Europeans to be found besides the people from the UK.

love your report so far
im on the ebpc this year so it will nice to see how u find the trip

as u can see im from holland so i can understand german too but not too good

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter