If you need to reschedule your trip be aware you may have problems...

jwfla422

DIS Veteran/Philly Native
I should have known better than to make a reservation at a "Disney" owned resort during hurricane season. We were supposed to head up today through Monday from South FL and of course the weather is getting worse over the state. We have ressies for the WL with a FL resident rate and that's where it all goes downhill. I tried to reschedule for Sun-Wed but Sun isn't available EVEN THOUGH that date is already part of our current reservation!!

I was told yesterday how they'll work with you...that's a lie. If you pay top dollar then maybe they'll work with you. If you get a discount you're out of luck. Of course Katrina is only a tropical storm now but it's forcast to be a hurricane by the time it makes landfall on what looks like our doorstep.

The CM tried to do what she could but she had no power to do anything as she said she had already spoken to a few FL residents trying to change their reservation. They had nothing available to change it to.

A few years back I had to reschedule a reservation around the same time of year and we were at the WL. I had no problem.

So just a word of warning. If you make your resort reservations during hurricane season and there's a tropical system brewing, unless its a CAT 2 or higher you'll be out of luck if you book at a discount.*** OR you will need to call back a few times to see if anyone else cancels. If you read further into this thread you will see that's what I ended up doing.

I hope she stays a TS and does not develop. Good luck with both that and the ressie.

:wizard: sending some pixie dust your way--- just in case.

I feel your pain...and it really is frustrating looking forward to a vacation and not seeing it through...but on a BRIGHTER note you siggie says you'll be back in October and December!!! That's WONDERFUL!!! If it makes you feel any better...I have planned 4 trips (dining ADR's and all) and had to cancel each and every one over the last 15 months...my family can only afford to go to Disney about once every two years and we've had a home for sell for 15 months and expected it to sell so I'd plan the trips...well next Wednesday it will close and we're leaving 9/12...but to be able to go more than once every 2 years is quite a treat and I bet that will aleve some of your angst over this trip.

Hopefully no hurricanes will hit in October!!! :)
Tara

I understand that they have their policies, but the CM must be a bit confused if she is telling you that Sunday is not available and you already have a reservation for Sunday. It might no longer be showing available at the discounted rate, but they should be willing to adjust your reservation.

I'd try one more CM, then ask to speak to a supervisor.

Sheila

jwfla422 said:
I should have known better than to make a reservation at a "Disney" owned resort during hurricane season. We were supposed to head up today through Monday from South FL and of course the weather is getting worse over the state. We have ressies for the WL with a FL resident rate and that's where it all goes downhill. I tried to reschedule for Sun-Wed but Sun isn't available EVEN THOUGH that date is already part of our current reservation!!

I was told yesterday how they'll work with you...that's a lie. If you pay top dollar then maybe they'll work with you. If you get a discount you're out of luck. Of course Katrina is only a tropical storm now but it's forcast to be a hurricane by the time it makes landfall on what looks like our doorstep.

The CM tried to do what she could but she had no power to do anything as she said she had already spoken to a few FL residents trying to change their reservation. They had nothing available to change it to.

A few years back I had to reschedule a reservation around the same time of year and we were at the WL. I had no problem because business was slow, but look out when it picks up at WDW they don't care. They just see the dollar bills and not their repeat guests' business.

So just a word of warning. If you make your resort reservations during hurricane season and there's a tropical system brewing, unless its a CAT 2 or higher you'll be out of luck if you book at a discount.

Call back and see if another CM can help - or ask for a supervisor. Sometimes the first CM can't (or won't) do anything, but the next can. Kill them with kindness and see if that works...

Sending lots of pixie dust your way... :wizard:

Interesting because within the last day or two someone posted on one of these boards that the parks were pretty empty.. Wonder why they're saying the rooms are full?

I'd call back and talk to someone else.. Wouldn't hurt.. :flower:

Sheila, Yes, that was my thinking. I plan to call back again a little later and ask for a supervisor. I'm happy to reschedule for whenever at this point.

C. Ann, There are rooms available BUT, they are NOT available at the special rate, that's the issue I'm dealing with. (of course, like Sheila said-makes no sense when I already have Sun. night booked at this rate-but then again I know they have discount windows and it's possible that Sun. night ends the previous discount window).

We're spoiled DIS goers, we get to go a lot and we're VERY lucky for that, and I know we'll get to go again soon.

Our main focus on this trip was to meet up with friends of ours from MA who are headed to DIS for the week. The thing that I'm upset about more than anything is losing deposit $$$ and not being able to see our friends. At this point I'm seeking NON DISNEY resort alternatives.

I knew our trip was during hurricane season and I knew there was a possibility we may not get to go because of the weather. But, I thought WDW res. would be a little more flexible or at least understanding about the weather situation...now I know.

Is Disney unwilling to refund your deposit? I can understand not allowing for a Sunday checkin. If the storm is bad enough to delay outgoing flights existing guests may wind up extending their stay by a day or two.

Some hotels have committed, and are paid a fee, rooms to companies that need rooms for emergency workers.

I was at the Gaylord Palms last year and about 1,000 out of 1,400 rooms were being occupied by out of the area utility workers.

Nah, no refunds BUT...the latest call was VERY MUCH in my favor. I called again and alas, Sunday was available, not only at the same rate but they had a "standard" view available at a lesser rate. So, maybe waiting worked in my favor.

They may have had other cancellations to free up the rate not being available (hmm wonder what they did). Just would have been nice to start out on a more positive note with the first call. Guess that call was too early?

SO, to add to my OP, you may want to wait a little if you can before rescheduling if you see tropical weather heading toward WDW or toward the path you are taking to get there?

Glad you were able to get it rescheduled. Enjoy the trip!

You may want to change the title of your thread, since it sounds like you are no longer done with WDW resorts :goodvibes

Yes, I know, but I don't think I can. But, honestly, if this would have been the S/D I would have had no problem in the first place. They have always been flexible even during times when it's been a personal reason as to why I needed to reschedule. So, this probably will be our last WDW res for a while.

We'll just keep our fingers crossed that we won't need a canoe to get out of our garage on Sunday. Thanks for listening :)

You most certainly can change your OP title. Use the "edit" button and it will take you to a screen where you can edit that post AND the title.

With all this talk. I think DW and I will pay for the insurance for our vacation. I mean we already have it for our flight.

jwfla422 said:
C. Ann, There are rooms available BUT, they are NOT available at the special rate, that's the issue I'm dealing with. (of course, like Sheila said-makes no sense when I already have Sun. night booked at this rate-but then again I know they have discount windows and it's possible that Sun. night ends the previous discount window).
I know you've already resolved your problem, but for someone in a similar situation, I wonder if this would work... Sunday was originally the last night of your stay, right? What if you called first to extend your stay to Wednesday (rather than cancelling/rescheduling your entire reservation), and later called to drop the days at the beginning of your trip, leaving you with only the Sun-Wed days... would that work?

C. Ann said:
Interesting because within the last day or two someone posted on one of these boards that the parks were pretty empty.. Wonder why they're saying the rooms are full?
Maybe a lot of travellers haven't cancelled their rooms yet... waiting to find out what's going to happen... especially those who got a discount.

If you have the insurance will your $$$ be refunded ??? Does it have to be a curtain scale of hurr. or for anything ???

I could be wrong but I believe when they modify your reservation they actually go in and rebook it with the same reservation number but in their system they actually have to do a new reservation from the first day you are checking in and then they cancel the old one. But, it wouldn't hurt to try your idea just out of curiosity.

If I was able to get a standard room at the discount rate when I rescheduled, then there is definitely plenty of availability because I couldn't get a standard when I originally booked it.

Well we're leaving on Sept. 8 and checking into POP on Sept. 10. Since we're driving down we plan to go no matter if there are 10 hurricanes. Its been too long since our last vacation, I'm going no matter what. I've been there during a hurricane before...slept right through it. One benefit to driving...can't cancel our flight.

I think there is a wide variance between what one CM can or will do and another. I called in to change resorts on the MYW with dining and was first told I couldn't do it because I was past the date you could get that package. I explained a number of times I was not changing my dates nor was I booking something new, I was just MODIFYING my reservationa! No, no, no. I wa told. finally she went to guest services and came back and "modified" my reservation to the other resort. She just didn't know she could do it and didn't know how to do it on her computer! I just stayed very nice and pleasant and we got it all worked out. :cheer2: :cheer2:
Redbudlover

We were there in Aug 2003 between the 2 hurricanes that hit the Central FL area. Last March 2005 we were there and it rained the whole week. So I did not want to push my luck and added the insurance today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter