If you have children who nap...

Aggiegrl

DIS Veteran
What is your preferred cabin type, and why? Thinking more about the classic ships, but welcome opinions from all.

Aggiegrl said:
What is your preferred cabin type, and why? Thinking more about the classic ships, but welcome opinions from all.

Kids who nap=verandah. Or use savings from lower category to book napping kids under three into the nursery during nap time. We did the first when DD was too old for nursery but still needed the nap and the latter when she was 21m and could go in Flounder's. They had her asleep in five minutes.

It doesn't matter to me. I take nap time as a break to lay down, nap or read in peace & quiet.

Depends on your child's age. Everyone told us to get a veranda when DS was 21 months, but he was in a pack-n-play and we basically could not get around it to get to the veranda. I did get him to nap on the bed one day so I could go out on the veranda and read.

We didn't try the nursery b/c he's the kind of kid that would never nap there, but that is a good option depending on how your child naps. I believe they just have cribs for nappers in the nursery, so if your child is out of a crib then I have no idea if that would work.

The nice thing about DCL is that many of the cabins have a divider curtain, so it will provide a buffer at nap/bedtime!

We had a standard inside this time, which was fine for the three of us. DS3 napped and we did too. Our next cruise we will have our twin DDs (turning 2) and two grandmothers along. With 4 adults, I suspect 1-2 adults will stay in the room while the others are out and about. All three children take a 2 pm nap at home. I'm not sure if the twins will be out of pack n plays at that point either, so floor space is going to be an issue.

Our options right now look like this for a 7 night on Wonder. The prices are additional to the base price.

1) Connecting deluxe insides on deck 2 (base price)
2) Connecting deluxe oceanview on deck 2 (+$328)
3) 1 balcony, 1 standard inside across hall on deck 6 (+$470)
4) 1 family balcony, 1 inside on different deck (+$794)
5) 2 balconies connecting (+$1562)

I think I can rule #5 out. I just don't see us paying that much more for connecting balconies.

We have a DS3 and while he naps we hang out in our verandah. I will usually order a cheese plate and coffee from room service and we just sit and snack on that. It's heavenly. :thumbsup2

The kids were 3 & 5 on our first nap and they both napped in our cat 8 room on different days.

Question for those who had their kids nap and going out on the verandah...how did you know the baby was up? Did u bring a baby monitor? Can u hear through the door? My 19 month old will probably be in a pack and play and we use white noise (he was a bad sleeping and had a sleep consultant so we have a routine). I don't think I'll hear him with the music and door closed.

With ds I would close the curtains to darken the room and then close the curtain between areas and read a book! Most of the tome I fell asleep too. :)

It depends on your child. When my son was that age he was not an easy sleeper. He'd stir at the slightest movement. A curtain could have worked but a verandah would be better. If you have super easy sleepers (kids who just fall asleep easily and anywhere...never had that myself) them I don't think the cabin type matters.

Veranda! DH and I treasured the times when DD would nap and we would sit out on the veranda and have a glass of wine watching the ocean. We didn't have a veranda on our last sailing (a very last minute IGT) and we basically just took turns going to the gym. Talking or watching tv would have woken DD up.

We did a verandah room. While he napped we either napped, one of us took some alone time around the ship, or stayed out on the verandah.

Balcony/verandah. Even though there were some days that we napped with DS, he always napped longer than we would, and then we'd sit out and talk. For me, it's more about what happens when he goes to sleep at 7:30-8 pm, than nap time. We definitely appreciate a balcony/verandah for his early nights.

Keep in mind that sometimes even the best of schedules go straight out the window when the kids are in a new environment. My kids' first cruise was a RCI cruise when they were 5 and 15 months. The 15 month old had been on a great nap schedule but didn't nap at all at his "scheduled" time on the ship. He ended up falling asleep in the stroller just after we finished dinner each night and slept through the night. The reclining stroller was a God send!! I'm sure whatever room type you decide on will be just fine. The key is to be flexible!!

Given that you have twins, plus another child, I would go for one of the connecting room options. It would be so nice to go to the next room during nap or at bedtime, plus it would give you more floor space options if needed. I might spring for a window, but I agree with you about the extra for the connecting balcony rooms.

So...in your situation, I would go with option #1 or #2. The connecting room would trump the veranda.

Question for those who had their kids nap and going out on the verandah...how did you know the baby was up? Did u bring a baby monitor? Can u hear through the door? My 19 month old will probably be in a pack and play and we use white noise (he was a bad sleeping and had a sleep consultant so we have a routine). I don't think I'll hear him with the music and door closed.

I just left the door open a bit and didn't close the curtain all the way. DS lets me know when he is up! We use white noise, but it is an ocean sound, so the door being open ( to the ocean) was not a big deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter