• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you had to pick MGM or AK with 2 y/o?

annantuonio

Earning My Ears
Hello.

Just trying to figure out our plan for our 6 day trip.

If you had to chose between MGM and AK which would you choose and why?

I have a 2 y/o so if any siggestions re that age group, I would appreciate!

Thanks

Colleen

I'd choose MGM because it is so darn hot in AK all the time. Much hotter than the other parks with less places to get in the AC. My kids seems to get crankier in AK than other parks. My 2 yr old loved playhouse disney and meeting the incredibles. You can meet JoJo and Goliath. This rocked for my 2 yr old.

I'd say AK. We took my DD4 to AK when she was 2 and she loved looking at the animals. We did MGM when she was 3 and she had no interest at all in anything there. But each child is different and the previous poster made a good point about air conditioning and heat.

Well.......

I'd say AK knowing how my nephews loved the animals. Does depend on time of year and what weather you're used to though. (Austin and Orlando weather are very similar, hot and humid.)

However if it's characters, yep quite a few to be seen at MGM.

Animal Kingdom hands down. Since our trip last week, I can honestly say it MIGHT be my favorite park. My daughter, 4 years old, also LOVED it. We went to MGM the first day we were there, and the only thing she enjoyed was the little mermaid show.

On the other hand, she simply loved all aspects of the AK. It's the best "zoo" we have ever been to. (And no, it's not like a zoo at all) :) There was just so much to enjoy for her, and the overall "feel" of the park was just great.

Just my opinion of course, but I would, even when my daughter was 2, think she would have had a better time at AK rather than MGM.

Well I'd choose AK. The animals, the freedom to walk around and view things not on a show/ride. The petting zoo, the safarri ride, Dinosaur playground, Festival of the Lion King, Pocohontas, Camp Minnie Mickey. My DD did not care for MGM at that age. The Little Mermaid was too intense, and the other rides were not fit for her. Just a little older and she would have been fine, but not at 2.

AK, it is our favorite park. Even now that DD is 6 she still isnt that into MGM.

At MGM we do beauty and the beast, little mermaid (can be scarey for little ones) the stunt show, backlot tour, and sometimes the great movie ride.

At AK you would do everything but everest, primevil whirl and dinasour. The character connection is never that busy to meet the characters. The festival of the lion king is a must see! The safari is great and it is a relax and take it all in slowly kinda park.

If you are hoping you could do one in the am and one in the afternoon. (I would start the AK in the am and finish the afternoon/night with MGM if you go that route.)

For us- its mgm. we have a zoo nearby (several) so AK isnt as big a deal for us...

Hello.

Just trying to figure out our plan for our 6 day trip.

If you had to chose between MGM and AK which would you choose and why?

I have a 2 y/o so if any siggestions re that age group, I would appreciate!

Thanks

Colleen

Depends on taste. if the 2 y/o likes wild animals, AK. If the 2 y/o likes cartoons, MGM.

I would go with MGM if it is during the hot season , AK is very hot and I took my almost 2 year old there and within an hour she was in the stroller soaked and beat red from the heat even with a fan. Also Playhouse Disney is a must see for the little ones. Maybe with the park hopper you can do AK in the early morning and then over to MGM.

I woul say AK. The animals are always a hit. Characters aplenty. Just better atmosphere for all ages IMO

AK: Pocahantas Show, Nemo Musical, Safari, Triceratop spin, Petting zoo, parade. MGM has only Mermaid voyage, Playhouse, and parade for 2 year olds.

I woul say AK. The animals are always a hit. Characters aplenty. Just better atmosphere for all ages IMO

I totally agree. I just advised a family with a 3 year old and a 6 year old to go to AK over MGM. They only want to do 1 park beside the MK.

I would have to say AK. It just seems like there is a lot more to do there. We were just there with our 2 year old niece and she seem to enjoy AK a lot more than MGM.

I have a 2 year old and she is afraid of the characters - loves them from a distance, but gets upset if they come close to her and try to interact.

At MGM, she can do Playhouse Disney, Beauty and the Beast - she loved it and normally does not sit still long, Great Movie Ride - she could really care less about that one, muppets in 3d - she liked. Little Mermaid was too scary for her when we went in Feb, so this last trip in April - we skipped it.

AK - she loved the safari ride, the Tricerotop Spin (Like Dumbo, but with Dinosaurs), the playground area. We also did the 3 shows - tough to be a bug (scares most little ones, but did not bother her), Festival of the Lion King (It's air conditioned and she fell asleep), Nemo the musical. We also walked one of the trails - the one with the tigers. She loved it. We did not go to Rafiki's Planet Watch where the petting zoo is. We also did not do the walking trail that has the gorillas. We opted to go swimming instead. They do have a nice baby station where you can take a break. There is a play room with a tv playing cartoons and a changing area. MGM also has a baby station, but it is at the very entrance of the park - not convenient at all and is very teeny tiny - not as nice as the other baby stations.
Also - we ate lunch at Flametree BBQ. You can get a table right on the water. The character boat came by and this made DD2's day. She loved it because she could watch the characters without them scaring her.

You can read my TR (it's short) and see a pic of the character boat at AK. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1410133

Just got back Tuesday. My 2 yr old son seemed to like MGM better than AK. My 4 yr old daughter definitely liked MGM better. Aside from the Lion King show and the safari ride, they seemed bored and fidgety and were not really into looking for the animals. At MGM they saw lots of characters, enjoyed Voyage of the Little Mermaid and the Beauty and the Beast show, as well as the Muppet movie. My husband wanted to see the stunt show and while my 4yr old was not crazy about the loud noises, my 2 yr old loved it! He was pointing and clapping and smiling and pretending to drive while he watched.

honeyb4 - but it's NAHTAZU!

Seriously, AK is our favorite park so I'd have to vote for it.

Just curious, but since your trip is six days why aren't you hitting both AK and MGM? You have plenty of time to visit all four and even revisit a few if you want. If you have park hopper tickets, it's very easy to combine AK with another park since it closes earlier. It's especially good with Epcot since it's open later.

I guess it depends on your kids, but for mine, especially the younger ones, AK would be lots better. My kids are 12, 10, 7 and 3 tomorrow!! The oldest likes MGM better only because she loves TOT and RNR. The 10 yr old loves RNR but not TOT. I am the one who stays with the younger ones while DH rides RNR and TOT (I'm not a thrill ride kinda gal;). Whatever park we are in, I do NOT just wait on DH and the older kids. I take the younger ones to do fun stuff so.....I do not think there is much to do with younger kids in MGM. If your 2 yr old is like mine have all been, sitting through shows will be iffy at best. Indiana Jones and LMA did not hold my youngest's attention last yr at all. None of the rides are great for little guys. They will sit through them, but they aren't of special interest to them. The HISTK playground is great but you really have to stay with your child to keep an eye on them. It's very easy to lose them. The same can be said of the Boneyard if they are playing on the slides, but if you get them over to the dig area, they usually have to be dragged out and you can see them at all times.

At MGM, the only way I entertain the youngest is waiting in line to see characters (we got all the Power Rangers autographs on my DS's baseball cap last yr:thumbsup2 . Wonderful to a then 6 yr old boy!!), playing video games at the Toy Barn (probably not great for a 2 yr old), the playground and getting tatoos (this may or may not interest a 2 yr old).

At AK, the Boneyard is great for little ones, Triceratop spin, the midway games, all the animals, the train and the Conservation Station, the safari.

We have 2 very good zoos near us too, but AK is nothing like a regular zoo.

Just my 2 cents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter