If you had to do your resale DVC purchase again, what, if anything, would you change?

Discussion in 'DVC-Mousecellaneous' started by Bertie131, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Bertie131

Bertie131 DIS Veteran

I have finally made the decision to go resale and I have been doing all the research and reading,but of course I still feel like it isn't enough. I would love to hear your experiences and if you would do differently.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Geomom

Geomom Mouseketeer

We bought OKW resale as, at the time, it was the cheapest/point Disney DVC and had one of the lower annual dues cost. But...if we were to do it again, we'd have bought at BWV instead, for more money, as it's our favorite place to stay. We have been lucky enough to get BWV a number of times at 7 months or with a waitlist inside of 7 months--just not around Thanksgiving or Food and Wine festival.

4. MouseMomx2

MouseMomx2 DIS Veteran

I wouldn't do anything differently, but my advice would be if there is one resort you want to stay at most of the time, buy there. If you are flexible, as we are, it doesn't really matter which resort you purchase. If, however, you really want BWV or BCV at Food & Wine time, AKV concierge or value rooms or one resort above all others then buy there.

Most of our points are at OKW. We love staying there and have also been able to stay at all of the other DVC properties. We do like staying at BWV during F&WF time though so we did a resale add-on there.

5. Buckalew11

Buckalew11 2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Nothing. But my advice would be "buy where you like to stay." Same as the PPs.

We bought at BCV because I thought it was beautiful but we bought w/o ever staying there. So glad that is where we bought because it is still my favorite place. I also really like BWV, BLT and OKW so I'd add on at any of them.

Had I bought direct from WDW, it would have been points at SSR--a very nice resort but not my highest choice on the list. Actually, I would not mind if WDW would let me live there all the time. :)

6. mikron

mikron Donald Pin Collector

Buy at the lowest resort for sale I think Vero. I have no problem with the 7 month reservations.

7. DizBub

DizBub Totally Addicted

My first resale attempt failed (seller never signed the final papers). We wasted months. We originally tried to get SSR because it was a fantastic deal but on the 2nd contract we decided on BCV, more expensive but still a good deal. Other than the wasted time, I wouldn't change a thing about the contract we finally bought. And I get to book BCV at 11 months. :thumbsup2

8. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

But you would be paying the highest dues.

9. Bertie131

Bertie131 DIS Veteran

Thank you for all the responses! It really helps. :)

10. El&Asmom

El&Asmom DIS Veteran

I would really consider what type of family you are when it comes to planning. We almost never book 11m out, so buying at the resort we love most would be useless. We are better at booking around 7 months out, so resort doesn't matter. Most of the time, we book 3-5 months out and we still rarely have problems getting what we want. Granted, we are not booking BCV during F&W, and tend to travel during slower times so it has worked well for us.

The only place we do need 11m out is for summer at HHI which is why we bought resale there though.

If you are a great planner, and need to stay somewhere specific, buy there. Otherwise, get whats cheapest or has the longest contract.

Good luck and enjoy. We are almost 6 years in and still love it. Every time we say we are taking a break we seem to somehow squeeze in another trip. Stupid discounts on PAP.