If you could, would you leave 1 year old home?

I don't get how a week is too long? Many parents whose work requires to travel have to leave their kids for longer periods. My second son will be 19 in 2 days. The first time I left him he was 9 months old. I didn't see him for three months... because I was in Air Force basic training and tech school. Missed his first birthday. Since that time I have missed many birthdays and holidays related to the military. For some leaving kids is not a choice, however, a choice or voluntary, the kid is not going to suffer or have long-term issues because of a week without his mom. I am sure the grandparents extra doses of attention and affection.

I never said a week vacation without them is going to mean your child ends up a deliquent or something. But I FEEL from my PERSONAL experience raising three babies at that age a week would be too long to leave them if I could avoid it. That age is the peak of seperation anxiety for some kids, and it is not like you can explain to them and have them understand what is going on. For the record my kids have no long term affects from falling down, or from someone saying something mean to them when they were this little either but I would have still tried to avoid it if could. Parenting is about now too, not just whether a child will suffer long term consequences.

I know it is hard to imagine leaving a child behind, and at one time I would have said "NEVER!" But experiences with our fourth child and hindsight has changed all that. Disney with him was not an enjoyable vacation for anyone. Similar to another's experience, traveling was a nightmare, and once in the parks his non-stop screaming, and from age 18 months to about 4 yrs, tantrums, resulted in having to leave the parks and return to the resort. You cannot imagine how stressful it was for everyone, and although Disney is a Magical Place, the looks of annoyance from others made it that much harder, I would become more stressed and upset that his behavior was impacting on others trying to enjoy their vacation.

What I realize now is that part of it was sensory overload, the sights, sounds, smells, heat, etc was just way too much for him. The other is that he did not handle any change or transition in his routine well. Fortunately for us, once back in the room in air conditioning he calmed down and became the lovable little boy. But, it had a major impact on his three siblings. They are all adults today, and still talk about how he 'ruined' their vacations.

I thought at the time we were doing the right thing. Addressing the needs of all our children is never easy, but we expected our 3 older children to be understanding, so we always brought him and did not leave him home. But if I had to make that decision now, what I know is that it would have been better for all if he stayed home until he was old enough to tolerate the vacation experience. :rainbow:.

Another vote for it depends on the baby. My fussy baby was #1 so we simply limited going to places he couldn't tolerate. Spending a night in a hotel was a nightmare every time we tried it. Even going out to dinner or to a friends house that had different lighting etc. was bad when he was really young. I can't even imagine if we'd tried to take him on an airplane or to a theme park! (Like someone else, he got more able to handle things the older he got and the magic age for him where he could tolerate traveling was about 2 1/2.)

If he had been a younger child and we'd had an opportunity to take older siblings to WDW, we would have left him home and EVERYONE would have been happier and my other children would be able to have the WDW experience. One thing I wouldn't do is take my child somewhere on an optional "vacation" that I knew would make him miserable if there was a happier option for him.

I can't imagine not taking all of my children. We had friends who did what you are thinking about and I was shocked. Disney is the perfect family vacation and I cannot imagine going without all of your children. Your little one is able to do so many of the activities, absorb all the sights and sounds, and will not cost you any extra. I have three boys and we have gone with them every year since they were itty bitty. This is your family. Enjoy the season you are in with each of your children. I know if I left one of my children, I would spend the whole time saying how much they would of loved something in particular.

I'm not one to leave a baby or a difficult child at home just because it would be 'hard'.

But if you have someone who you trust to leave baby with for some quality hubby/wifey time I'm all for that. Enjoy :thumbsup2 I'm kind of envious :rolleyes1

I would take the baby! We took our kids when our twins were 4 and our other son was 23 months. He loved it. Everyone says but he wont remember it and my answer was always he loved it while he was there and there will be lots more trips! We are going again this August and he will be almost six and the twins will be 8 and a half. Yes it is a little more work but it is worth it!

We are going in November and are leaving our baby home. She will be 14 months old at the time. We are taking our 2 boys ages 3 and 5 and just think it will be easier to leave her at home with my Aunt. I sometimes feel bad about it and think about bringing her but I think it will be easier all around if she stays back this time. She will get her turn in a few years :)

I feel like a week is too long without mom for a 1 year old, if you can avoid it. I also really enjoyed the time I went with dd as a baby. And the pictures are priceless. She says she remembers parts of that visit and she definitely had a great time. She was very mellow easy going girl though, slept easily in the stroller when she needed it, loved the rides, and was happy just watching everyone and everything, not sure if it would have been as fun with my more difficult older dd, or ds at that age. I guess I might have done a special trip with one kid if I could, if the others weren't that little, but I would feel I need to do it with all of them at some point, and that's not feasible for us.

Wow does she really remember stuff from a trip she took at age 1?? That would be amazing <3

My son was 16months old and we had a fantastic time! Pictures are priceless and at that age he's free. We are going again 2014 before his 3rd birthday so he can be free 1 more time :)

Is it possible to take a little one to Disney with older siblings, yes....our last trip was 3 DD's 6, 3, and 9months. The baby was adorable, slept in her stroller just fine, and was pretty amazed by all of the characters. We wouldn't have left her because it was a "big" family trip. (Granny, Papa, cousins) That being said, is it going to harm your child that you're gone for a week, no. Would it be great for granny to get some quality time in, yes! And will having a baby with you change the plan for your other kids, yes. It's just a decision of what type of trip you'd like to have this time. Not something you should feel guilty about either way, you're not "leaving anyone behind" forever, and your older kids probably aren't going to have the worst trip of their lives if baby comes with. Just decide how you want this trip to be and go with it. :)

Also, six years into our marriage, my husband and I (he's an army vet and now a police officer) realized that because our oldest daughter was born when he was stationed in Korea, she co slept with me, we had another just under three years later who co slept, then one more after two years that co slept. To simplify, they were 2, 4, and 7 and my husband and I had NEVER taken time for us. I talked to my parents about this, and they sent us to Vegas for ten days!!!! And kept our kids. After being married for forty years , they knew exactly what we needed and it was so right. Cookie cutter perfect isn't always what's "right" Enjoy each other! Hope you have a perfect trip!!! :)

I only have a 3 year old and a 1.5 year old, so obviously both of mine are coming because they'll both be a hassle. :lmao: But, if I had older children who would want to go more quickly and who could ride bigger rides that my husband or I would have to miss out on, I would consider leaving a baby at home on a trip. Don't know if I'd do it or not, but I don't think it's awful or a bad idea.

We just got back last weekend. After the number of toddlers we saw crying, screaming, throwing fits etc. I say leave the little one at home with grandparents. Their schedule is off, it's hot, they are in the stroller too long. Yes they may have some fun, but I wouldn't do it.

I took my 15 month old to Hawaii with me years ago. My parents offered to keep him at their house and I said "no way." I should have done it.

I think it depends on the kid. We left our 22 month old ds with the grandparents while we took dd4. He did not travel well at that time. Driving 30 minutes was a nightmare so riding with him for 9-10 hours was out of the question. He loved being with his grandparents and dd loved spending some time alone with us. I missed him terribly but I think it was for the best. We took them both the following year and had a blast!

When we first took DD at 3 1/2 we had offers to keep DS at home (1 1/2). I said no, that if we go on a family vacation, the whole family goes. I chose to have 2 kids that close in age so we were going to do everything with them together. I'm so glad I made the decision. The trip would not have been the same without him. Sure, he doesn't remember that trip but DH and I have some priceless memories - his reaction to meeting the characters, chasing bubbles with Peter Pan, and some great memories came when he was sleeping with Minnie kissing him and Pluto petting him. :) DD loved "telling" him who everyone was as we would meet them and she made sure every character knew who her litte brother was :)
For me, I would've been lost without him there. We were still able to focus on DD as the trip was mainly for her but I think even she would've missed him had he stayed home.
We had cousins who 2 weeks before us took their DD(4) and left their DS home who just turned 1 and said it was very hard not having him there with them.

Of course, like others have said, it's up to how you feel on what you choose to do. If you have kids that have more of an age gap, then it might be different but for me their ages are so close that we only go away all together

Yes, and we have. We took our oldest daughter (then, 3.5) when the twins were a year old. She needed some alone time with us. It had been a difficult adjustment for all of us adding two new babies. It was wonderful and my parents loved keeping the babies. We are returning in December with everyone-my kids will be 5.5 and babies will be 3.5. We are excited to do it with everyone this go around.

Yep!!! We go to Disney on a regular basis, so the baby could grab the next trip for us.

Ohana means family, and Family means nobody gets left behind...

And this phrase has officially gone from being a nice sentiment to a weapon to beat people with for not doing it exactly the way someone else does.

OP, we did a week in DL with our 1 year old and then for the next trip we broke the code and disinherited her and cast her out of the ohana like heartless varlets and let her teen brother have a weekend in the parks with his parents that was *not* centered around baby care. Both trips were wonderful and the baby had not filed for emancipation when we returned. Do the trip the way that works best for your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter