If you buy direct and finance through Disney

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by marivigi, Mar 4, 2013.

1. chalee94

chalee94 <font color=green>I thought all sand was ground up

it depends a little on your personal circumstances also. i think if you already have 2 deductible mortgages, then you would not be eligible to deduct interest paid for a DVC contract. (it should be obvious that paying double the resale price for a contract plus 12% interest to get a small tax deduction is somewhat ludicrous.)

only the property tax component of annual dues can legally be deducted (and only if you itemize). i think it works out that less than 20% of your total annual dues will typically be deductible...

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

to hide this adverts.
  3. I❤MICKEY

I❤MICKEY DIS Veteran

Are you unable to take a loan to purchase resale? Do you have to pay the full amount without financing? I'm just starting to look into this. I didn't realize.

4. elfbo

elfbo DIS Veteran

For resales you have to find your own financing. Many people will chose to get a personal loan, or home equity loan 3-5% interest. If you need financing the only timeshare financing that ive seen recommended is timesharelending.net with interest rates starting at 12.9% and going up from there.

So no easy financing if you buy resales, like you get if you buy direct.

5. chalee94

chalee94 <font color=green>I thought all sand was ground up

timeshares as a whole don't hold their value very well, so many banks are reluctant to lend with only the timeshare itself as collateral. (many timeshares sell for $1 on ebay and DVC contracts are guaranteed to hit zero at some point in the future.)

with that said, there are a few specialty lenders who do structure their loans on DVC resales such that the interest is eligible for a mortgage deduction. so it can still be an option when buying a resale... (you can also put your house on the line with a home equity-type loan to get a deduction, but i can't recommend that.)

in general, you'd save more money overall if you have access to a personal loan from a bank or credit union that is lower than the rate charged by the timeshare lenders. if i pay 6%-8% on a personal loan, i'm still paying less overall (depending on things like my overall tax rate) than if i'm paying 12% on a deductible loan.

i'd also add that DVC is a luxury which is likely to decline in value over time. ideally, if you need to finance it, you might be better off just renting points.

6. lodge

lodge DIS Veteran

Currently we have a puddle view, which can be modified for a "fireworks" view if we light a flare in the road.... though not of the pixie variant, we seem to have an endless supply of dust around here!
    Remember "Calgon take me away!" I change it to "Disney" and leave that homespun dust alone for a while.

7. Novakm

Novakm Mouseketeer

I would be very careful about taking a loan to buy DVC. Vacationing at WDW is very expensive. I would not consider DVC unless you had been able to save enough to cover the buy in. I'd love to see the numbers on what % of people who take loans for DVC find out they can't afford it.

8. Novakm

Novakm Mouseketeer

I wonder what % of people who take a loan for DVC find out the hard way that they can't afford it?