If we can keep this trip a secret, it will be a Disney miracle! *TR LINK ADDED 12/12!*

hokieinpa

DIS Veteran
If you keep on believing,
the dream that you wish
will come true.

Hi! :wave:Welcome to this PTR! This will be our 2nd trip to Disney. You can read about our first trip, which was in October 2014, here: "Stop squeezing Mickey's nose!" - An October 2014 TR

We had a truly magical first trip and had so many wonderful experiences! :goodvibes

The plan was to go again in May 2016...but once Disney works it's way into your life it's just too hard to wait that long!

So...here we are with this "last minute" trip. It may still be 6 months away but it feels last minute to me since I spent a year planning our last trip!

This trip will be special for several reasons:

#1 - It's DISNEY!
#2 - It's Christmas! At DISNEY!

#3 - It's my birthday! At DISNEY!

and...

#4 - This trip will be a surprise for the boys! Shhh...if we can make it that long! :rolleyes1

So the details:

Who: Me, DH, our 3 sons, and my parents
When: Saturday November 28 - Wednesday December 2
Where: POP Century

So I'll try to work it all out, plan it all, and write it down here. I hope you'll join me!

Chapter Links

Introductions
ADR Wish List
ADRs...for now!
TRex, Bows, MVMCP, and DC Mini TR
Resort and Busch Gardens Mini TR
Daily Plans
Post-Beach Updates
Minnie's Holiday Dine

Belated Double Digit Dance!
It's Spreadsheet Time!
It's FP+ Day!
Christmas To Do List
Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes!
Daily Plan Updates - Day 1
Daily Plan Updates - Day 2
Daily Plan Updates - Day 3, Part 1

Daily Plan Upates - Day 3, Part 2
Daily Plan Updates - Day 4

"No, we're not going to Disney this time..." TR Part 1 - Arrival
"No, we're not going to Disney this time..." TR Part 2 - Legoland
"No, we're not going to Disney this time..." TR Part 3 - More Legoland
"No, we're not going to Disney this time..." TR Part 4 - Even More Legoland!
"No, we're not going to Disney this time..." TR Part 5 - Legoland Again!

"No, we're not going to Disney this time..." TR Part 6 - Legoland Miniland!

Last edited:
PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7080168246_zpsc0d51c02.jpg

Too precious!

The plan was to go again in May 2016...but once Disney works it's way into your life it's just too hard to wait that long!

Don't you just hate that :rolleyes1 Dang Disney and it's magic!

So...here we are with this "last minute" trip. It may still be 6 months away but it feels last minute to me since I spent a year planning our last trip!

That would be last minute for me too! I'd be all stressed out trying to formulate my schedule, ADR's and FP's! :teacher: But I would have TONS of fun doing it, knowing I don't have to wait long to put these plans into action!

#1 - It's DISNEY!
#2 - It's Christmas! At DISNEY!

#3 - It's my birthday! At DISNEY!

Good reasons.

#4 - This trip will be a surprise for the boys! Shhh...if we can make it that long! :rolleyes1

But this is the BEST reason and I hope you'll be able to make it that long!

Totally joining in!:cool1:

Following, we will be there too! I could never keep a secret like this. I'm obsessed with planning & probably annoy everyone talking about it!

:wave:Following along!!

Birthday at WDW? Um, yes please!! And how special will the holiday decorations and events me; Christmas is magical, Disney Christmas is the end all be all, or so I'm told.:tink:

A surprise for the boys?! They are gonna be SO happy!! I dream of doing that for DD, but I'm a terrible secret keeper...:sad2:

Joining in!!! I love all the reasons for going!!

I mean Christmas, birthday and Disney! You can't lose!

Following along, we will be there the same time! Can't wait to hear about your plans!

:welcome: It's our first Christmas trip and I can't wait!

I'm here, I'm here! princess:

Yay! :wave:

Best. Reasons. Ever. :thumbsup2

Yes, indeed! But really...I can find a reason anywhere, anytime, anyplace.

Right? I can't believe we'll be literally passing each other. I'll be sure to sprinkle lots of pretty, pink pixie dust for you! :tink:

Too precious!

Thank you! They are pretty useful for photo ops!
:thumbsup2

Don't you just hate that :rolleyes1 Dang Disney and it's magic!

Seriously! I knew it was going to be a problem planning our first trip but now it's a little out of control...

That would be last minute for me too! I'd be all stressed out trying to formulate my schedule, ADR's and FP's! :teacher: But I would have TONS of fun doing it, knowing I don't have to wait long to put these plans into action!

I'm going a little crazy because I feel like I'm playing catch up all the time! Trying to work in the few ADRs we want and MWMCP is stressing me out...but I'm loving every second honestly!

Good reasons.

But this is the BEST reason and I hope you'll be able to make it that long!

I've always liked the idea of a surprise trip but never thought I could pull it off since I want to talk about all the details of our trip! But since they know we are going next spring I think we might be able to keep this one a secret! Now just to think of the big reveal...:ssst:

Following, we will be there too! I could never keep a secret like this. I'm obsessed with planning & probably annoy everyone talking about it!

:welcome:Thanks for joining in!

I'm not the best secret keeper so this will be interesting! I love to talk details too, but I'm hoping with this PTR I can get out all my planning here and keep quiet at home!

Following along! I love that it's going to be a surprise!

Thanks for following along! :goodvibes

I'm so excited about the surprise part! It's almost as exciting as the trip itself...almost.

:wave:Following along!!

Yay! :goodvibes

Birthday at WDW? Um, yes please!! And how special will the holiday decorations and events me; Christmas is magical, Disney Christmas is the end all be all, or so I'm told.:tink:

Christmas has always been my favorite holiday so Christmas at Disney? I don't think it can get much better! I'm so excited about the decorations, the party!
:santa:

A surprise for the boys?! They are gonna be SO happy!! I dream of doing that for DD, but I'm a terrible secret keeper...:sad2:

Honestly, I'm not a great secret keeper! I get too excited and just can't wait any longer. But now I'm really into the whole surprise thing so I hope none of us slip up and let it out! It does help that we are going in May 2016 so if we mention Disney hopefully we can pass it off as being about our spring trip!:rolleyes1

Joining in!

Thanks for following along!
:wave:

oining in!!! I love all the reasons for going!!

I mean Christmas, birthday and Disney! You can't lose!

I'm so excited about this trip! I'm not sure if it's because we weren't expecting to take one this soon, it's Christmas at Disney, or the whole surprise element...but I'm so excited! :goodvibes

I'm here and excited to see this trip unfold (and if you can keep the secret!) This is one of our favorite times of year to go (maybe THE favorite), plus your birthday! Sounds perfect.

Joining in! Three great reasons that this will be a special trip!

I am like you, I wasn't supposed to be going back yet but WDW drew me back in, it is addicting! That's okay though because now I get to go to WDW this December rather than waiting another year or two. ;)

I wish you luck keeping the secret! I am a terrible secret keeper and would spill the beans almost immediately! :laughing:

Introductions

Our quick, surprise Christmas trip will include:

Me! Jamie

Favorite Rides: Under the Sea, Soarin'
Favorite Movie: The Little Mermaid
Favorite Characters: Minnie, Ariel

My DH, Jim

Favorite Rides: Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear
Favorite Movie: Star Wars
Favorite Characters: Donald Duck

And the boys!

Nate (5)

Favorite Rides: Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear
Favorite Movie: Toy Story, Peter Pan
Favorite Characters: Buzz Lightyear, Goofy

Colin (3)

Favorite Rides: Buzz Lightyear, Toy Story Midway Mania
Favorite Movie: Planes, Frozen
Favorite Characters: Dusty Crophopper (hands down!), Woody, Olaf

Jake (2)

Favorite Rides: Small World, Winnie the Pooh
Favorite Movie: Winnie the Pooh, anything Mickey
Favorite Characters: Mickey!, Tigger

And my parents will be joining us again as well:

My mama, Diana

Favorite Rides: Small World, Living with the Land
Favorite Movie: Cinderella
Favorite Characters: Cinderella, Piglet

My daddy, Jim (yes, same as the husband...it makes things interesting at big family events)

Favorite Rides: Toy Story Midway Mania, Buzz Lightyear
Favorite Movie: Peter Pan
Favorite Characters: Peter Pan, Mickey

ADR Wish List

So it feels like I'm jumping ahead here but ADR is in less than 48 hours so I'm just going to skip around!

Last year, we went during Free Dining and had no issues getting each and every ADR at the time we wanted. This year seems to be an entirely different game for some reason. I've been checking availability for the days before our arrival day (because, you know, obsessed :rolleyes1) and it's slim pickings for sure.

What's the deal, Disney? :confused3

I've read lots of different theories about why ADRs are hard to get at this point:

*Disney is holding back reservations for some reason
*Guests are more aware of the system and more are booking dining at 180 days
*ADR hoarders...and I'm looking at some of you out there! :magnify:

Whatever the reason, I'll be up bright and early on Monday 6/1 to try and get the few ADRs we want! :surfweb:

This is a quick trip - 4 nights, 2 park days and 1 party day - so we're keeping ADRs to a minimum.

So this is my wish list. With back ups. And back ups for my back ups. Because you know...obsessed. Nothing wrong with that, right? Right? :thumbsup2

Day 1 (Arrival)

Option #1:
Chef Mickey's Dinner (6:00)
*touring monorail resorts after to see decorations

Option #2:
Boma Dinner (6:00)
*touring AKL for decorations, preview for our stay in May

Option #3:
Dinner at the Mara
*touring AKL for decorations, preview for our stay in May

Option #4:
TREX Dinner (7:00)

We'll most likely being going with #2 or #3 because a CM dinner ADR seems hard to come by these days, unless it's 9:30 PM and that's too late for the boys!

Day 2 (DHS)

Option #1:
Sci Fi Diner Lunch (11:00)

Option #2:
Beaches & Cream Lunch (11:30)

Option #3:
Sci Fi Diner Dinner (4:30 or earliest available...or late lunch hmm...)

Day 3 (MK)

Option #1:
Crystal Palace Breakfast (10:30)

Option #2:
Crystal Palace Dinner (6:00)

Option #3:
Crystal Palace Lunch (12:30)

Option #4:
Plaza Lunch (11:00)

Day 4 (Rest/MVMCP)

Option #1:
Chef Mickey's Breakfast (10:30)

Option #2:
Chef Mickey's Brunch (11:30)

Option #3:
Ohana Breakfast (10:30)

Day 5 (Departure :()

No ADRs

Chef Mickey's will be a repeat for us. We had dinner our arrival day last trip. While the food was less than stellar, we really enjoyed meeting the whole Fab 5 in one spot. And it was a fun way to kick off our trip!

An exhausting meal, obviously.

If we can't get dinner there, we'll go for a breakfast or the new brunch on our party day. I'm actually leaning toward this to try something new!

Crystal Palace is the other meal that we also did last trip. We had a 10:30 ADR for breakfast and it was a great alternative when we couldn't get a pre-park opening ADR. We had some time to do rides before breakfast. The meal was big enough and late enough that we really didn't need to eat lunch. And since we were one of the last breakfast seatings, we had a little more character time. Plus, we got to try breakfast and lunch foods since they were switching over as we were finishing!

This meal was great overall. Delicious food - puffed french toast was a big hit for everyone! And the characters were great!

The boys even bounced with Tigger!

I would love another 10:30 breakfast here but would be happy trying lunch or dinner as well!

All of the other restaurants are new for us! I honestly think Sci Fi and Beaches & Cream might be the hardest to get. There is just no availability when I've been checking for the week before! This isn't such a huge deal since character meals are more important to us, but I would like to try them!

Any opinions?

What order should I go for when I'm booking? I'm thinking:

1 - Chef Mickey's breakfast/brunch
2 - Sci Fi
3 - Crystal Palace

I'm here and excited to see this trip unfold (and if you can keep the secret!) This is one of our favorite times of year to go (maybe THE favorite), plus your birthday! Sounds perfect.

Thanks for following! I'm so excited to see Disney at Christmas! It was on my list of trips but I didn't think it would happen so soon. And I really, really hope we can keep our lips sealed! :ssst:

Joining in! Three great reasons that this will be a special trip!

I am like you, I wasn't supposed to be going back yet but WDW drew me back in, it is addicting! That's okay though because now I get to go to WDW this December rather than waiting another year or two. ;)

I wish you luck keeping the secret! I am a terrible secret keeper and would spill the beans almost immediately! :laughing:

Planning trips is fun, but isn't it a little bit more fun when it's unexpected? I'm loving this!

I'm so excited about this being a surprise so I hope that I can keep it locked down! It may be easy now but I know it's going to be harder as it gets closer!

Last year, we went during Free Dining and had no issues getting each and every ADR at the time we wanted. This year seems to be an entirely different game for some reason. I've been checking availability for the days before our arrival day (because, you know, obsessed :rolleyes1) and it's slim pickings for sure.
I've been doing the same thing, and getting the same discouraging results. :sad:

*ADR hoarders...and I'm looking at some of you out there! :magnify:
*hides* :blush:

Whatever the reason, I'll be up bright and early on Monday 6/1 to try and get the few ADRs we want! :surfweb:
I hope you have a lot of pixie dust on that morning, girl! :goodvibes

So this is my wish list. With back ups. And back ups for my back ups. Because you know...obsessed. Nothing wrong with that, right? Right? :thumbsup2
Nope, nothing at all! ::yes::

Day 3 (MK)

Option #1:

Option #2:
Crystal Palace Dinner (6:00)

Option #3:
Crystal Palace Lunch (12:30)
Soooo... Do you want to eat at Crystal Palace or something? :rotfl:

1 - Chef Mickey's breakfast/brunch
2 - Sci Fi
3 - Crystal Palace
Honesty, as hot of a ticket as CP is, and how much you obviously want to go, I would personally think you should do it 2nd, and Sci Fi 3rd. Just my thoughts. :cutie:

I'm sure you know this, but don't be discouraged if you don't get what you want right away. My DH really wanted SciFi for our upcoming trip and I tried at our 180+ day mark and no luck. Then a month or so ago, he found one! Good luck!!

So it feels like I'm jumping ahead here but ADR is in less than 48 hours so I'm just going to skip around!

Man, next time I do a PTR I'm waiting to start it; I just love seeing everyone's plans and sometimes the wait is SO long!! :rolleyes:

it's slim pickings for sure.

What is up with that?! We didn't have trouble, per say, but it wasn't so easy as I remember it being. Heaven forbid you try and walk in to a restaurant at WDW; you may not eat!:scared:

This is a quick trip - 4 nights, 2 park days and 1 party day - so we're keeping ADRs to a minimum.

I dream do minimum ADRs. When SO and I take DD next year (I hope!:tink:) we only want to do maybe three. I LOVE the signitures dining but it's exhausting trying to time everything so far in advance.

With back ups. And back ups for my back ups. Because you know...obsessed. Nothing wrong with that, right? Right? :thumbsup2

Nothing wrong at all!! Back ups of back ups are needed! It's less obsession (although that's part of it) than it is just good planning skills!:earboy2:

We'll most likely being going with #2 or #3 because a CM dinner ADR seems hard to come by these days, unless it's 9:30 PM and that's too late for the boys!

9:30 PM is too late for this adult! Any option will be great. We did BOMA breakfast this past month and it was delicious! Plus AKL is gorgeous, I can only imagine how it looks all decorated for Christmas! (Insert much needed Christmas smiley)

Sci Fi Diner Lunch (11:00)

We nabbed this one for our September trip. Oddly enough we had options for 11, 11:10, 11:15, and so forth.

Family favorite!

Plaza Lunch (11:00)

This was another easy one for us, again in September, but maybe...pixiedust:

Ohana Breakfast (10:30)

Wish list item for me! I'm pretty sure DDs second word is Stitch and the first time she crawled it was to one of her. Stitch dolls so that weird little alien holds a special place in my heart!

Day 5 (Departure :()

That dreaded word, departure!

While the food was less than stellar, we really enjoyed meeting the whole Fab 5 in one spot. And it was a fun way to kick off our trip!

I heard someone describe it as a two year old's birthday party. It has to be easier meeting the characters at a meal than running here and there in the parks with three adorable little men.:mickeyjum:goofy::donald:

If we can't get dinner there, we'll go for a breakfast or the new brunch on our party day. I'm actually leaning toward this to try something new!

Ooo, brunch!

We had a 10:30 ADR for breakfast and it was a great alternative when we couldn't get a pre-park opening ADR. We had some time to do rides before breakfast. The meal was big enough and late enough that we really didn't need to eat lunch.

we had a little more character time. Plus, we got to try breakfast and lunch foods since they were switching over as we were finishing!

Yes! I couldn't remember where I'd seen this option; your TR! We couldn't get a PPO for CP so we took a 9:10, but I remembered someone going at 10:30 am and really enjoying it, so I booked at 10:30 am instead! I think that's a great option. Brunch, snack then dinner.:thumbsup2 Good thinking mom!

What order should I go for when I'm booking? I'm thinking:

I speak only from my September ADR experience;

CP was not happening for us, we got a 9:10 and that was it. I kept checking for the past two months and nabbed the. 10:30 yesterday (our ADR day was in March).

I can't say about CM but if you've been checking I'd put that bad boy at priority one.

Sci-Fi had a lot of early options when we booked.

Also, if another family member is willing, has a MDE account and a separate computer I suggest you work on it at the same time. Sis and I did this (we had 10 ADRs) and we got mostly everything we wanted. Good luck tomorrow!, sending you all the pixiedust: I can!

I've been doing the same thing, and getting the same discouraging results. :sad:

What is up with this? I have heard lots of stories of ADRs opening up closer to your trip date but a girl needs a PLAN!

Oh I totally plan to hoard some ADRs. I try to cancel as soon as I firm up plans, usually after FP+ reservations. I like to keep my options open!

I hope you have a lot of pixie dust on that morning, girl! :goodvibes

Thank you! pixiedust:

Nope, nothing at all! ::yes::

It's nice to have so many enablers here!

Soooo... Do you want to eat at Crystal Palace or something? :rotfl:

Maybe just a little...but how did you ever guess? :rotfl2:

But it really was one of our favorite meals last trip! Yummy food and the cute, cuddly friends!

Honesty, as hot of a ticket as CP is, and how much you obviously want to go, I would personally think you should do it 2nd, and Sci Fi 3rd. Just my thoughts. :cutie:

I know, I'm so torn. The thing is that I'm still seeing openings for CP at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I think I'll be able to get CMs or Ohana on our party day. The really tough one is Sci Fi or Beaches and Cream! :confused3

I'm sure you know this, but don't be discouraged if you don't get what you want right away. My DH really wanted SciFi for our upcoming trip and I tried at our 180+ day mark and no luck. Then a month or so ago, he found one! Good luck!!

I've heard lots of people saying they found ADRs closer to their date as more are released or people cancel. Hoping I can get lucky if things don't work out tomorrow. Thank you! :goodvibes

Man, next time I do a PTR I'm waiting to start it; I just love seeing everyone's plans and sometimes the wait is SO long!! :rolleyes:

Oh I would have totally started this almost a year ago if we had planned it that far in advance. You just want to do SOMETHING when you have a trip planned. But it is nice to have the waiting cut down! :thumbsup2

What is up with that?! We didn't have trouble, per say, but it wasn't so easy as I remember it being. Heaven forbid you try and walk in to a restaurant at WDW; you may not eat!:scared:

We had no trouble during Free Dining so I have no idea what the issue is. We aren't going anywhere close to a FD window and according to crowd calendars, crowds will be the same as our October trip. What's the deal? :confused3

I dream do minimum ADRs. When SO and I take DD next year (I hope!:tink:) we only want to do maybe three. I LOVE the signitures dining but it's exhausting trying to time everything so far in advance.

I think when I take a solo trip next year (I'm thinking April or May 2017) I will do more ADRs that are less family friendly. But with kids it's easier to keep it to a minimum and as many character/fun meals as possible!

Nothing wrong at all!! Back ups of back ups are needed! It's less obsession (although that's part of it) than it is just good planning skills!:earboy2:

Thank you for justifying all of this! :laughing:

9:30 PM is too late for this adult! Any option will be great. We did BOMA breakfast this past month and it was delicious! Plus AKL is gorgeous, I can only imagine how it looks all decorated for Christmas! (Insert much needed Christmas smiley)

I'm excited to tour AKL. I've heard it's beautiful and that the tree is especially lovely. And I know the boys will love the animals - even more so if they get to use night vision goggles. They will think they are full on super spies! :rotfl2:

I'm working on convincing everyone on Boma. The dinner menu is a little outside of everyone's comfort zone so we may end up eating at Mara to please the crowd. :rolleyes:

And a Christmas smiley for you!:santa:

We nabbed this one for our September trip. Oddly enough we had options for 11, 11:10, 11:15, and so forth.

That's good to hear! I'm hoping we can get this even if I have to keep checking back. I think they boys will love the cars and movies.

Family favorite!

Yes - I think this will be a must do for us for quite some time!

This was another easy one for us, again in September, but maybe...pixiedust:

If we don't get a chance this time, I think we'll try it during our May trip!

Wish list item for me! I'm pretty sure DDs second word is Stitch and the first time she crawled it was to one of her. Stitch dolls so that weird little alien holds a special place in my heart!

Aw, too cute with the love for Stitch!:stitch:

I think this would be a perfectly acceptable back up. I know we're planning on dinner here in May at the very least!

That dreaded word, departure!

Why does it always have to end??

I heard someone describe it as a two year old's birthday party. It has to be easier meeting the characters at a meal than running here and there in the parks with three adorable little men.:mickeyjum:goofy::donald:

Yes! I know we may meet a few of the Fab 5 at the party but it has such a Disney feel!

Ooo, brunch!

Brand new this week, I think! Excited if we get this option!

Yes! I couldn't remember where I'd seen this option; your TR! We couldn't get a PPO for CP so we took a 9:10, but I remembered someone going at 10:30 am and really enjoying it, so I booked at 10:30 am instead! I think that's a great option. Brunch, snack then dinner.:thumbsup2 Good thinking mom!

I really enjoyed our 10:30 ADR! A great break after touring and then lots of energy to keep on going!

I speak only from my September ADR experience;

CP was not happening for us, we got a 9:10 and that was it. I kept checking for the past two months and nabbed the. 10:30 yesterday (our ADR day was in March).

I can't say about CM but if you've been checking I'd put that bad boy at priority one.

Sci-Fi had a lot of early options when we booked.

Also, if another family member is willing, has a MDE account and a separate computer I suggest you work on it at the same time. Sis and I did this (we had 10 ADRs) and we got mostly everything we wanted. Good luck tomorrow!, sending you all the pixiedust: I can!

Hmm...I may get my mom on that. She is a bit intimidated by everything computers but maybe I can walk her through it tonight!

Thanks! Fingers crossed and pixie dust!:goodvibes

Following :)

:welcome: Thanks for joining in!

Now that is pretty cool - as long as everyone is enjoying it, you have to take advantage of it! That's what I keep telling myself, anyways.

I'm so excited! Especially when I thought I was going to be waiting until May!

Oh my, I can imagine their excitement! You can share all your pre-trip excitement here!

I think I'm equally excited about the big reveal and the trip itself!

Your family is adorable - love Jake's glasses! I have two girls, and often think how much more low maintenance boys would be!

Thank you! :goodvibes

Boys are less drama for sure but they make up for it in giving me heart attacks with their crazy stunts and their obsession with all things gross!
:scared:

I hereby grant you my share of ADR luck - I've not yet eaten anywhere that required ADR's, so I have 3 past trips of no ADR luck headed your way!

I will gladly take that pixie dust, thank you!! :tink:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter