If I pick a room number, am I guaranteed that room?

ReadyForVacation

Earning My Ears
I placed a hold on a room for Sep 2016, but before I put the deposit down I wanted to see if I will be guaranteed this room or if it could change? It's not in GTY status. I actually selected the room number. Thanks in advance!

Yes

If online or on a reservation you will get that room number unless:-

Maintenance issue.
Offered an upgrade.

If your reservation shows GTY you could get any stateroom in that Cat or higher.

I think once you pick a room number and the room number shows on your booking info, that room number is yours (until and unless you change it again, or i suppose barring disaster).

I placed a hold on a room for Sep 2016, but before I put the deposit down I wanted to see if I will be guaranteed this room or if it could change? It's not in GTY status. I actually selected the room number. Thanks in advance!
Like tinkerone said, if you want to keep that room, ask for "DO NOT UPGRADE" to be placed on your reservation.

That said, DCL does reserve the right to change rooms for people. Could be maintenance issues, or some other reason. Generally, selecting a specific room, you will stay there, but it does happen that people get moved.

We were booted from our carefully selected stateroom on the Dream in 2012 (seriously, I had spent hours trying to find the perfect stateroom and booked on opening day). A couple weeks before our departure, we were upgraded from a porthole room to a room with a verandah ... I didn't shed too many tears. LOL!

We were booted from our carefully selected stateroom on the Dream in 2012 (seriously, I had spent hours trying to find the perfect stateroom and booked on opening day). A couple weeks before our departure, we were upgraded from a porthole room to a room with a verandah ... I didn't shed too many tears. LOL!

I wouldn't shed tears either, unfortunately my DD would. She's quite looking forward to her "reading window" aka giant porthole.

Like the previous posters said, they could bump you for maintenance or an upgrade if they so choose. I specifically called and asked them not to upgrade us, as I do not want a verandah with a toddler. I am hoping something doesn't go wrong where we get bumped. We have one of the rooms on the Dream with two large portholes, and I am really looking forward to it!

Like the previous posters said, they could bump you for maintenance or an upgrade if they so choose. I specifically called and asked them not to upgrade us, as I do not want a verandah with a toddler. I am hoping something doesn't go wrong where we get bumped. We have one of the rooms on the Dream with two large portholes, and I am really looking forward to it!

If you have made the request, then the only thing that should cause them to bump you would be if there were a problem with the room that made it unsafe or unsanitary to stay in, which I am sure you would appreciate for yourself and your little one.

As an aside, the top deadbolt locks on the verandah doors is near the top of the door and is totally unreachable by toddlers. I hope that will provide you with some reassurance if you should wind up in such a room.

If you have made the request, then the only thing that should cause them to bump you would be if there were a problem with the room that made it unsafe or unsanitary to stay in, which I am sure you would appreciate for yourself and your little one.

As an aside, the top deadbolt locks on the verandah doors is near the top of the door and is totally unreachable by toddlers. I hope that will provide you with some reassurance if you should wind up in such a room.

Yeah, they told me they can't guarantee in case there are maintenance issues but they try their best. I actually saw a picture someone posted today of the verandah deadbolts and that did calm my fears, but I would still be unrationally nervous that my husband would forget to lock it or something. Plus I am really looking forward to seeing him sit in the window seat and line up his toys in it!

More or less. We always pick our stateroom but in 2010 on our Med cruise, we found ourselves upgraded to a 4A room from a 5A. I would never have booked a 4A - there's only two of us and we prefer deck 6 or 7 (we were on 8). No idea why we were moved/upgraded. If I had been asked I don't know what I would have said about the move (I just logged in one day and noticed that the room number had changed). It was fine, but I could really care less about having the larger room since the 5A is quite large enough for both of us.

So you can get moved from your selected room unless you specifically ask not to be moved although you could still be moved if there are maintenance issues.

Yeah, they told me they can't guarantee in case there are maintenance issues but they try their best. I actually saw a picture someone posted today of the verandah deadbolts and that did calm my fears, but I would still be unrationally nervous that my husband would forget to lock it or something. Plus I am really looking forward to seeing him sit in the window seat and line up his toys in it!

In addition to the deadbolt, the handle has to be turned 180º and the door is pretty heavy. Your little one would have a hard time getting out even if the deadbolt was forgotten, but of course I understand why you'd worry.

The reality is that, the vast majority of times, things go exactly as planned. I'm sure you will have a great time and get that picture of your son playing with his toys in front of his big porthole window!

Same thing with us. 10 days before, and after our documents arrived, we were upgraded from Deck 2 Deluxe Ocean View on the Magic to a Verandah on Deck 7. All that time studying deck plans to and from our stateroom with the kids was a waste of time!

I actually saw a picture someone posted today of the verandah deadbolts and that did calm my fears, but I would still be unrationally nervous that my husband would forget to lock it or something.

The deadbolts are very high up on the door and you should also know that the doors are quite heavy and it takes effort to open them even if unlocked. I think that a child too young to understand how to be safe on a verandah would have a lot of trouble opening the door. And the railing is at least waist high on me and the bars are on the outside of the plexiglass so you can't stand on them to look over. If you end up in one and you're don't trust your child to not stand on the chairs on the verandah to look over the railing, you can also ask for them to be removed. AFAIK, no one has ever gone overboard a verandah accidently on a DCL ship. It takes significant time, effort and several other factors to be in place for a child to get out onto the verandah and get into danger assuming they are unattended for that length of time. It's not like your patio doors at home.

Even if you do forget to lock the top (lots of times the stateroom host will do it automatically), the door is HEAVY. I run and work out and it is hard for me to open. I would be afraid to meet a toddler with the size and strength to open that door.

Even if you do forget to lock the top (lots of times the stateroom host will do it automatically), the door is HEAVY. I run and work out and it is hard for me to open. I would be afraid to meet a toddler with the size and strength to open that door.

baby-weight-lifter.jpg

Thank you for all the reassurances about the verandah. I still hope we don't end up getting one (we booked 8A and there aren't many extra rooms in that category if something breaks or goes wrong), but I feel more at ease if we did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter