Ideas for eating cheap at Disney

best value at MK: hubby and I split a funnel cake at sleepy hollow. with powdered sugar. very filling!

One word of caution on splitting meals. We've tried this with almost every place in the world. Two things happened with us.

1) for example, at Earl of sandwich, we'd split a sandwich but by the time we brought an extra bag of chip and a water or soda, the total savings is maybe a buck or two.

2) next for example we did the combo split at Cosmic Rays and it was totally to much for me but not enough for my husband to be full. So maybe half an hour later he had the munchies and ended up snacking so once again no real savings.

So Im just saying that some times splitting may not end up being the big savings that it is reported to be. Rarely has it saved my dh and I great amounts of money.

I think that the trick here is splitting it with a child?

If you are flexible in your dates, you might be able to swing a free dining, which certainly would help on food costs!

If you aren't that flexible/patient then I always go the route of pre-scouting all of the restaurants we want to visit online to see what they offer and if we could split anything. GL!

Earl of Sandwich is a pretty good deal - $6.95+tax per sandwich.

Bring sandwiches & snacks into the parks. You can either use a soft sided cooler or even an ice pack will keep foods cold enough to eat for a few hours.

Pizza at the Boardwalk pizza window is $17.99 for a whole pizza or $4.49 per slice.

If you'll have a car, there's a ton of places right outside DTD on 535 that are much less expensive than comparable foods at Disney establishments.

I think that the trick here is splitting it with a child?

I think it depends on how much you eat. My sister and I can share one adult meal at WDW and be good to go. But then, I'm more comfortable not eating until I am really full at WDW. Walking around the parks stuffed to the gills doesn't feel good. Plus, I always want to leave a little room for a Mickey bar!:mickeybar

I think it depends on how much you eat. My sister and I can share one adult meal at WDW and be good to go. But then, I'm more comfortable not eating until I am really full at WDW. Walking around the parks stuffed to the gills doesn't feel good. Plus, I always want to leave a little room for a Mickey bar!:mickeybar

This. I still don't understand how people manage the dining plan (not to mention deluxe dining!). There is so much walking around, riding, plus usually it's hot... hard for me to eat really heavy meals. Unless I'm going to sit down and rest for a while afterward!

Yes, eating counter service at Disney is more expensive than going to your local mall food court. But, I find the portion sizes usually large, the quality usually good, and the options usually plentiful (way more than burgers and pizza!). And I think the prices are actually better than other theme parks or "controlled environments" (i.e., like a Six Flags).

We bring lots of snacks, which helps a lot - I am the type of person that prefers to eat smaller meals/snacks, rather than 3 huge meals!

You can order a double burger with an extra bun and make two burgers out of one meal!

You can also get the meals for cheaper if you elect not to get the side it comes with typically!

Please enlighten us as to which counter service locations still sell "double burgers". Thanks.

Perhaps the poster hasn't been there this year and doesn't know they changed all the burgers. I wish the internet had a sarcasm font people could use. It used to be a good idea, I used it because my DH likes all the toppings and I like plain burgers (no carbing)

Please enlighten us as to which counter service locations still sell "double burgers". Thanks.

Perhaps the poster hasn't been there this year and doesn't know they changed all the burgers. I wish the internet had a sarcasm font people could use.

There should be no need for a sarcasm font on the Dis as using sarcasm is against the rules.;)

Though I think it has to be really nasty sarcasm for the Mods to take notice.

This is what we bought a couple years back...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100676081/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=skillet&storeId=10051#.UHnSSoYbs9Y

It's super small.

We buy a couple of packages of the shelf stable, precooked bacon on sale at home. Usually about 2/$5.00.

Then when we get to Disney we buy a loaf of bread, package of cheese and eggs. Usually about $6 - $8.

Then we toast the bread, cook the egg in the skillet and then warm the bacon. We have hot sandwiches everyday for breakfast.

It also works great for Grilled Cheese as a mid day snack for super cheap.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100676081/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=skillet&storeId=10051#.UHnSSoYbs9Y

It's super small.

We buy a couple of packages of the shelf stable, precooked bacon on sale at home. Usually about 2/$5.00.

Then when we get to Disney we buy a loaf of bread, package of cheese and eggs. Usually about $6 - $8.

Then we toast the bread, cook the egg in the skillet and then warm the bacon. We have hot sandwiches everyday for breakfast.

I see that you are a DVC owner. Those units have kitchens (or at the very least, a kitchenette). Cooking in those rooms is fine but I don't think that cooking appliances are welcome in the regular resort rooms. :)

While officially cooking appliances may not be welcome if you ask, I have not read anything in the rooms stating that, and I have taken and used my sandwich maker with no issues, having given it no thought. The sandwich maker gets no hotter and presents no more fire hazard than the iron or coffee maker Disney provides. The turkey and cheese sandwich I made has less aroma than a pot of coffee, so I'm still not feeling guilty. Even without the sandwich maker, I'd still have a sandwich since Disney provides a frig. I'm not looking for a fight, and I'm not apologizing for eating a hot turkey and cheddar after the food court was closed either. ; )

As for saving money on food, no way would my family eat PB & J 8 days, but they wouldn't expect steak either. I remember when they were thrilled with sloppy joes and chips after eating restaurant food too much on vacation.

However, splitting a $6 sandwich@Earl of Sandwich then adding 2 bags of chips makes no sense. This place is already the biggest bargain on Disney property. Get yourself a sandwich, eat half and take the other half into the park for later. Grab a drink while you're there, and refill before you leave. You can even do a little browsing at the kitchen store, hit the restroom, and get
another refill.

In EPCOT go to Norway and spend $2 on Schoolbread, the cheapest treat at WDW. Yum! The bakery@France has inexpensive ham and cheese croissants.

We split at Tangierine Cafe and are both full. It's a $13 meal plus water divided by 2 = McDonald's prices! It's a bargain, and it's tasty!

We don't buy drinks, just order waters and keep sodas in our rooms. It's healthier for our bodies and wallets.

We do a mix of on and off site. At the value resorts there's a taco salad for $7.50 that is huge and delicious, a bargain. We could split it. Then we could hop to HS to split a huge $4 cupcake at Starring Rolls. Yum!

For root beer floats we go to MK Sleepy Hollow. Not all floats are equal. You have been warned. SH makes big floats. Just like Main Street Bakery makes good ice cream cookie sandwiches...usually. Just look around and make sure the person scooping is putting lots of ice cream on there. Part of our saving money is going to the places that give the best value or the biggest treat for the money so we can split.

I agree that appliances are a fire hazard. I did buy that little electric fry pan. that is no more a fire hazard than a curling iron..

lately we haven't bothered with it.. but we have, in the past brought a little electric fry pan.. It is really good for frying up a few hot dogs or brats, cooking up a couple cans of beef stew, beef ravioli., chicken ala king, etc. if we drive down, these canned goods. keep, and it saves us money, to spend on , say more expensivemeals we might really enjoy, like le cellier, or teppan edo, or a few fancy drinks!

(wash your fry pan and pack it away in you luggage when you are done)

It's super small.

I guess I'm missing something. I'd use the microwave in the food court, still eat the toast, eggs, bacon, cheese, and save the $12.23 by not buying the skillet and lugging it all the way to Florida. And I wouldn't have to concern myself with odours in the room or breaking any rules.

I can't believe that people actually use these appliances in their hotel rooms, it is against Disney policy, but then again, people will do anything to save a buck.

The rules are there for a reason ,obey them. Or change your vacation until you can afford not to break the rules.

Last time we went we ordered from Garden Grocer. I ordered things like bread, pb and J, fruit, chips, cereal bars, apple juice for the kids. Most rooms have a coffee pot. We were originally going to stay at POP but got a resort upgrade to CBR. They had a fridge there. (I thought I heard the Values were getting them too?) I made a pot of hot water and used the paper cups they provide to make oatmeal in the mornings. (Those I brought in my carry on)My kids will eat pop tarts cold.

We split some meals too. There is no way my youngest could eat some of the big meals. We did have the dining plan (basic) but we also went to CRT and for sea food. We would split QS meals or breakfast or one of use would eat breakfast while the rest of us ate in the room. My DH is a diabetic an needs breakfast more than the kids and I. Usually we would have a big breakfast or oatmeal, maybe a snack in the park, and then use our TS for dinner.

So my advice is plan in advance what is really important to you and what you want to eat and budget accordingly. Sometimes you can find groupons or restaurant.com coupons too for the immediate Buena Vista area.

We always order from Garden Grocer. We stay in a villa, but a simple breakfast of fruit, juice, cereal and fruit can translate to a value room, I think. The savings on breakfast alone are huge. We also bring all snacks into the parks. The children prefer this. Snack items include cheese, trail mix, bottled water, crackers, animals crackers, raisins, craisins.

Earl of Sandwich is a fabulous value. Eating out at Disney will always be pricey, but having breakfast and snacks covered will help enourmously.

One of our first trips we went on, we were on a pretty tight budget. We saved money by eating breakfast in the room (cereal, protien bars, granola bars, etc). I also packed a jar of peanut butter and a jar of jelly for PBJ sandwiches which we would make and bring along. I also brought packages of peanut butter and crackers to snack on in the parks. We didn't split all meals, but many we did. I'm not a big eater, but DH is. Pizza planet always worked well. I ended up packing an entire suitcase of food that trip, much of which we brought back home with us, but at least we had snacks for the room at night. We had a small refridgerator and bought milk and lunch meat from resort store.

This is my first trip as an "adult" lol. I have not gone to Disney since i was 198 with my family, but now with family of my own we are finally going!!!!! We are staying at the Bonnet Creek(which I hear is awesome) in december. I have never flown so I was wondering...can I pack all snacks (i.e.-fruit snacks,crackers,goldfish,granola bars,trail mix,a container if juice?) in luggage? I am guessing not the juice, we are actually stopping at Walmart in florida once we fly in so I can get some stuff there but I would rather pre-budget and get some stuff from home....does anyone else do this in checked luggage or does it need to be in my carryon?

I can't believe that people actually use these appliances in their hotel rooms, it is against Disney policy, but then again, people will do anything to save a buck.

The rules are there for a reason ,obey them. Or change your vacation until you can afford not to break the rules.

:thumbsup2

Gotta go with you on this one Mhsjax, we got a room once and you could smell whatever they cooked in the room. Yuck. The same way food smells linger in your home, they linger in a hotel room. nothing worse than sitting on bedcovers and smelling bacon.

I have never flown so I was wondering...can I pack all snacks (i.e.-fruit snacks,crackers,goldfish,granola bars,trail mix,a container if juice?) in luggage? I am guessing not the juice, we are actually stopping at Walmart in florida once we fly in so I can get some stuff there but I would rather pre-budget and get some stuff from home....does anyone else do this in checked luggage or does it need to be in my carryon?

You can pack all these in checked luggage, although I would definitely not do any liquids unless you put them in Nalgene containers.

I would definitely not put any food in your carryon, as there is a potential that if you have something like jello or anything else moderately fluid they might not allow it.

The tough thing is staying within the checked bag weight limits when packing dense foods like canned goods.

In most cases, your best option is to bring things that you usually purchase in bulk for a significant discount at Costco or wherever (candy, granola bars, etc), then purchase the rest when you arrive.

You should be able to determine a very close estimate of your grocery costs by just taking your "vacation shopping list" to your local grocery store and writing down the prices of each item and totaling it - if you want to get that specific!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter