Ideal Vacation is Too Much $$$, what can we do?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by grandall, Apr 15, 2013.

1. JJsmama

JJsmama WDW addict

That's what I was thinking. With no disrespect to the OP, I think all of our 'ideal' vacations are too expensive.

However, it sounds to me like OP is barely doing any WDW parks at all. WHy not just skip those tix altogether and do the water parks, resort hop and dinners at resorts, and the 'other' parks?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. tlwfun89

tlwfun89 Mouseketeer

ok I think Disney is a vacation in itself. Especially price/budget wise. The offsite places are a whole other vacation. Legoland well lets just say its costly for what you get and not real close to Disney.

4. AuroraRora

AuroraRora Princess

That doesn't sound like too much of a bad itinerary to me! You're definitely getting more use out of your Disney tickets too. Just a thought (this is probably going to sound a bit selfish and mean, but I bring it up as it worked for a friend's family) what if you went to Discovery Cove alone while he took the rest of your family to Legoland, or even while he stayed and swam/did savannah things at AKL? It sounds like you're the only one who's really excited about Discovery Cove, could you get away with going to do that while they do something else? He's excited about the resort, you're excited about the dolphin swim...maybe split and do both, then meet for dinner?

5. Sunnywho

Sunnywho DIS Veteran

that's a great suggestion because legoland is more age appropriate for the younger ones and a dolphin swim more appropriate for the older one

6. patty57

patty57 DIS Veteran

OP...are you going with the WDW plan, or trying to come up with something else?

7. Mama Who

Mama Who DIS Veteran

Excellent suggestion. If both parents aren't set on both of those parks, you save quite a bit. I have only done LL in California, but 10 is about the top of the target demographic, I think.

8. cleophus12

cleophus12 DIS Veteran

Have you checked rates at the Swan or Dolphin? They often offer some good discounts and they sit right outside of Epcot, so you get very much of that Disney feel. They are very nice resorts with a mostly moderate price tag. Also there are a number of good resort restaurants close by. And if you do decide to partake of those Epcot dinners, you are conveniently located.

9. cheesemouse

cheesemouse DIS Veteran

I would suggest giving serious thought to Art of Animation family suites or the All Star Music family suites. We also have a family of 5 and the deluxes are very pricey. Your kids are young enough that they would still love the over the top theming of those 2 resorts. I took my oldest two (they were 4 and 6) and we stayed at Pop Century that trip since it was just the 3 of us. Last month all 5 of us went and we stayed at the Contemporary. My kids kept asking when we could go to the hotel with the "big things". Young kids like that sort of stuff. And those 2 are a lot cheaper. Check it out. You'd still be on site for the Disney magic!

10. grandall

grandall Mouseketeer

I'm not sure, I'm so confused...I was looking forward to seeing some new things but DH does not believe in going to Orlando w/o going to Disney. We had an absolute blast last time so maybe he is right. I think the way to go like many people have suggested is to stay on-site at a moderate (and I am very intrigued by AoA) to save some money, and then do a day trip or two to Legoland and/or DC. I love the idea of splitting up in some way too, so I am exploring that. Thanks to everyone for all of your ideas, they have all been great, my mind is swimming (in a good way)...when I do book something and it is all final I will post back here...

11. CupcakeKelly

CupcakeKelly This sleeve of Thin Mints IS my breakfast

After reading this I realize how thankful I am that vacation planning with DH is I plan everything and he shows up and enjoys the benefits of my planning :goodvibes