Idea about the Rocket Rods & PeopleMover track/Innoventions building

DrewieStewie

Earning My Ears
So you know how in 1998, the PeopleMover got replaced by a failure-plagued thrill attraction called the Rocket Rods, right? It went through the track in 3 minutes, and began with a 35 mph launch, but constantly slowed down at the turns (because they weren't banked), which stressed the system and plagued the attraction with technical problems, closing the attraction in 2001. And you know how the Innoventions museum closed down for good a few months back, right? Well, I've been thinking, maybe they should try again on the Rocket Rods, fix the track and make it suitable for a thrill ride, and bank the turns, while making the Innoventions building a queueing area for the ride (making a bridge or staircase to the loading/unloading platform thats risen in the middle of Tomorrowland). Or, alternatively, as most people would prefer, we'd bring back the PeopleMover. It would either take over or share the Fastpass kiosks for the Autopia (similar to how Star Tours: The Adventures Continue took over Buzz Lightyear's Fastpass system temporarily, later giving back some kiosks to the ride). A single rider and disability line would be the staircase (and elevator) to the exit platform. What do you think?

Last edited:
I'd rather they bring back the Peoplemover as it was, before they tried with Rocket Rods. However, from what I've read and heard, the issue with rocket rods wasn't just based on the track banking. There was structural issues with the buildings that the track ran through. So, to build Rocket Rods correctly, they would also need to repair/re-build the structures that were weakened by the original attraction. Given the number of buildings in Tomorrowland which are impacted by the Peoplemover track, I doubt they'd want to close that much of Tomorrowland for a prolonged period of time.

I would not be the slightest bit interested in walking through Tomorrowland with vehicles overhead consistently going 35 MPH over my head and banking turns to keep those speeds up. If they ever reuse those tracks you might as well start a petition or complaint forum right now about the safety rails that everyone will complain about. I'd rather want to see what they do with Innoventions first before I decide if I think anything else needs to be fixed.

I'm with Figment. I never got to do Rocket Rods, but I love being able to ride the people mover at WDW. It's so relaxing to get on that ride with usually no line and whiz through Tomorrowland. I like the idea that it could run through Innoventions. With the Star Wars and Marvel stuff supposedly going in there, that would be an extra bonus. I'm sure you'd rather have a bunch of us agreeing, but the People Mover is just the relaxing attraction that Tomorrowland needs. IMHO

Add me to those who want a return to the slower PeopleMover. But if they want to make it Star Wars themed, they could always have it narrated be Anthony Daniels (C3PO) ;)

At the time, I thought the Rocket Rods were pretty fun. But, yeah, there would be all kinds of different problems with getting them back and RSR has similar elements but is so much better. It was basically like being in an RC car with a 5 year old controlling it, speed up - slow down- speed up- slow down, repeat.

I would love the People Mover here in California. I love it in WDW, and I met so many people who would love to have it back. I have also heard that they are just updating the first floor of Innoventions, and not turning it into anything else. Speaking of Tomorrowland attractions, Laugh Floor in DL anyone? My family and I have been saying they should put it in where they've just had movie previews for years now.

This was discussed ad-nasuem on another board. We went into the logistics of it, and what would have to be updated for the attraction to return. I personally read the majority of the OSHA + ADA requirements any new ride must meet, and any reincarnation would prove difficult to meet the requirements.

1.) The circular loading system couldn't really be used now, if the idea was to bring back a ride similar to the old peoplemover. Because of ADA requirements, the loading area must be able to completely stop to accommodate loading of people in wheelchairs. From what I could tell before, the old peoplemover kind of had a XX seconds of loading time, and the whole system didn't ever stop like you could on Haunted Mansion. I use this comparison, because in essence, the peoplemover in its functionality is basically a glorified omnimover.

2.) The tracks need widened. ADA laws need 30" of space and a ramp at Evacuation Spots. The ramps have to be at 6.5 degrees or less, making for long ramps (think Monorail entrance/exit in DL). I did not find how often these stops needed to be placed, but what had been floated around was 50 feet on a ride that could potentially stop everywhere. You'd also need to add rails to anywhere a guest (or CM?) may stand when evacuating.

3.) The tracks inside the buildings are too close. It's been a few days since I read the stuff, but it had to do with a combination of guests touching the walls, and the ADA evacuation requirements. You'd have to mess with a ton, structurally.

Basically, it would be difficult for the peoplemover to come back as an attraction. If it were as a transport method, then it could possibly make a reappearance.

Some of the selling points listed above, such as no line at the one in Disney World, are exactly why there is no PM today. If something were to use the current infrastructure, it would need to be at least semi-fast. This ride design is needed so e-brakes were only in certain spots, and that ramps wouldn't have to be everywhere. You could re-use the circular loading system, but only if the cars stopped on it, which ruins the PM concept - always moving. You won't be able to legally get that part back. Or, you could move the loading to somewhere else, like in Innoventions, on a straightaway of track, or somewhere over by Autopia, possibly.

Basically, what you're looking at is another iteration of Rocket Rods, regardless of which way you look at it. The Peoplemover cannot come back as we knew it.

I enjoyed the Rocket Rods the whole 2 times I rode them before they closed. But, I preferred the PeopleMovers and still do. I know everyone always complained that they were too slow, too boring, never had a line (which was because they were super high capacity), etc., but it was a great, family-friendly ride that gave you an "inside look" at some rides that little kids and people with health limitations otherwise couldn't see. Now, the problem of course with bringing any of it back is that OSHA has specific requirements, as does ADA. The tracks would have to be torn down and completely rebuilt along with modifications to the buildings. It would be hugely expensive.
I actually want a new PeopleMover that actually serves as transportation either between the new parking structure and Tomorrowland/front gate or something that transports between Tomorrowland and some location in DCA (maybe the mysterious mini-Marvel land?), which could serve as both an attraction and a way to move people between parks without the mess that Main Street can become.

Edited to add that I saw the person above me actually read the requirements on Cal-OSHA and ADA websites. I know which discussion you were referring to above on another site. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse when I explain this issue sometimes.

This was discussed ad-nasuem on another board. We went into the logistics of it, and what would have to be updated for the attraction to return. I personally read the majority of the OSHA + ADA requirements any new ride must meet, and any reincarnation would prove difficult to meet the requirements.

1.) The circular loading system couldn't really be used now, if the idea was to bring back a ride similar to the old peoplemover. Because of ADA requirements, the loading area must be able to completely stop to accommodate loading of people in wheelchairs. From what I could tell before, the old peoplemover kind of had a XX seconds of loading time, and the whole system didn't ever stop like you could on Haunted Mansion. I use this comparison, because in essence, the peoplemover in its functionality is basically a glorified omnimover.

2.) The tracks need widened. ADA laws need 30" of space and a ramp at Evacuation Spots. The ramps have to be at 6.5 degrees or less, making for long ramps (think Monorail entrance/exit in DL). I did not find how often these stops needed to be placed, but what had been floated around was 50 feet on a ride that could potentially stop everywhere. You'd also need to add rails to anywhere a guest (or CM?) may stand when evacuating.

3.) The tracks inside the buildings are too close. It's been a few days since I read the stuff, but it had to do with a combination of guests touching the walls, and the ADA evacuation requirements. You'd have to mess with a ton, structurally.

Basically, it would be difficult for the peoplemover to come back as an attraction. If it were as a transport method, then it could possibly make a reappearance.

Some of the selling points listed above, such as no line at the one in Disney World, are exactly why there is no PM today. If something were to use the current infrastructure, it would need to be at least semi-fast. This ride design is needed so e-brakes were only in certain spots, and that ramps wouldn't have to be everywhere. You could re-use the circular loading system, but only if the cars stopped on it, which ruins the PM concept - always moving. You won't be able to legally get that part back. Or, you could move the loading to somewhere else, like in Innoventions, on a straightaway of track, or somewhere over by Autopia, possibly.

Basically, what you're looking at is another iteration of Rocket Rods, regardless of which way you look at it. The Peoplemover cannot come back as we knew it.

Thank you for sharing this! I had no idea it would be such a problem to bring the Peoplemover back. I still believe they should do something with that track. I couldn't really see them removing it, as that would take a long time and would cause major closures, but what else could really go up there? I'm not sure many people would be keen to have the Rocket Rods come back.

A modern PM is very doable.
Microsoft was developing an $879M system to link it's campus's here Wa. State but stopped just before the construction stage when the economy tanked.
According to someone that worked for the engineering firm, there were no insurmountable hurdles and all the *ADA issues were resolved.

*Applicable ADA requirements here are the same as Ca.

A modern PM is very doable.
Microsoft was developing an $879M system to link it's campus's here Wa. State but stopped just before the construction stage when the economy tanked.
According to someone that worked for the engineering firm, there were no insurmountable hurdles and all the ADA issues were resolved.

A peoplemover is doable, just not by using most of the current infrastructure. You can resolve all issues if building from scratch, but I got the impression from this thread the idea was to try to use what was already in place, as much as possible.

A couple other notes: CAL-OSHA's rules are different than Washington's. Also, there are a few different rules because by definition, the Microsoft version was for transportation purposes, while the DLPM was strictly an attraction.

Knowing what I know now about how much would need to be fixed to meet requirements, I hate to say this but I think there is a slim chance we'll see the PM at DL again. The kind of construction required might close down several rides, and because of the PM being all around Tomorrowland, the whole land will be under construction for a bit of time. That just doesn't seem like something Disney would be willing to do, unless the construction time would fit in the off-season. However even in the off-season Disneyland is still quite busy.

I would prefer the PeopleMover over Rocket Rods.

The person I spoke with was an expert in her field and deeply involved in the process and told me the guidelines that MS had to use were no different than ours. Since she is an expert in her field and knows what she's talking about, I believe her. She also knew I was comparing the project to a DLR attraction.
Do Wa. and Ca. have different accessibility requirements? I have no idea but in this case she told me they are the same - and she would know.

ADA requirements are a nationwide standardization. I'm not questioning the knowledge of your friend, but there are some differences between the projects. The one in Washington was probably entirely enclosed. For transportation purposes, this is to be expected. However, depending on what you are talking about for DL, it may or may not be enclosed entirely. That changes how you have to approach some rules, such as how far walls have to be from patrons. In addition, you'd need rails where guests may step, occurring more frequently because it is designated as a permanent attraction.

And despite her field, it doesn't make her an expert in theme park attractions. If I needed help with transportation, I'd go to your friend. To claim she knows what she's talking about just because she once worked on something with a same name, but different application, is ludicrous.

Well, as I stated above, all projects are different.

I had this idea elsewhere, but what do you guys think about having a PM/RR ride use refurbished forms of the current tracks/platforms, but go the opposite direction than they have always gone? If you use the circular area as the loading platform in some way (whether with stops or redesigned), this would allow Innoventions, Space Mountain, and Star Tours indoor parts to possibly become part of a long show scene, a "grand finale" of sorts.

I really just want them to use the track and loading area because it just bothers me that Disneyland is so short on space yet they are leaving a track completely unused, even if they would have to tweak it a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter