Iconic Restuarants that are no more.

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by aprincessatlast, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Baliezer

Baliezer DIS Veteran

I used to work at Steak and Ale! Loved their bread, burgundy mushrooms and blackened chicken pasta. Good times!:)

I miss China Coast. The sister restaurant to Red Lobster and Olive Garden.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cluvsdisney

cluvsdisney DIS Veteran

I LOVED Lum's! I used to go with my grandparents in Florida. They used to serve food in little plastic baskets.

4. MomofKatie

MomofKatie Dairy World? Fairy World! OH, DARN IT!!

Shakeys Pizza

Mad Italian sub shop

Arthur Treachers Fish & Chips

A&W Root Beer Drive In

Blue Boy frozen custard

Houlihans

Bennigans

Quincys

5. ilovepcot

ilovepcot <font color=purple>Caused the first ever Tag Fairy

Loved that place! We had one in our town in FL but it came and went sooo fast. Was surprised because it was always packed. :confused3

6. Fueledbycoffee

Fueledbycoffee Mouseketeer

We have lost Ci-Ci's Pizza & Cheeseburger in Paradise here. Both still exist but not here and they are family favorites. :(

7. kimblebee

kimblebee now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

We have a few Hardee's here. We are losing a lot of classic restaurants here. No chains but local joints that have been open for decades.

8. tennvalgirl

tennvalgirl DIS Veteran

Quincy's! The best yeast rolls ever made. :(

9. PebblesMK

PebblesMK DIS Veteran

So I probably shouldn't post the picture of the Fazoli's food that I'm eating right now?

Did anybody else have a Shakeys pizza buffet? I'm not sure it was a local joint or if they were elsewhere. I loved the piano guy who played while patrons were eating, and the chicken that laid an egg, and the bowling ball shaped balloons...sigh, miss that place.

10. Jedana

Jedana <font color=blue>Have to learn to budget somehow.

Yes for Shakey's Pizza! Loved their pepperoni.

I remember the Woolworth's counter...never ate there, though.

Also, Dolly Madison ice cream shop.

And in Colorado, at Cinderella City (oh, I'm showing my age here! :sad2:), there was a pizza place that had the best pizza. Coal fired, if I remember correctly.

Oh, and A&Ws!
    And the Organ Grinder.
    and Spaghetti Factory.

/sigh

11. hereyago

hereyago DIS Veteran

Shakey"s , jack in the box that is also not where I live anymore.

12. OLT2004

OLT2004 DIS Veteran

I used to manage a Howard Johnson's on the first service Plaza in PA from NJ.

(sp) Neshamminy?

I have always thought that Ho Jo's could make a come back for their "Classic" items like Tendersweet Fried Clams & Franks ...
    In A Mall Food Court Setting.
    Heck - Maybe even in a small fast food free standing building with a double drive in and a walk up setting...

HMMM...I will have to look this up....

13. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

I still miss Gallaghers. They had great steak and good hot bread. I also loved a place in Houston called the Boston Sea Party. Seafood became too expensive for such an amazing buffet.

14. CandyMandy

CandyMandy DIS Veteran

We had one of those in the town I went to college in. Students there referred to it as "Burger Death." :lmao:

[​IMG]

15. CaliBear

CaliBear DIS Veteran

I really miss Magic Pan, Big Boy, and Farrell's.

Those of you missing Shakey's, they still exist in LA and the surrounding area, and yes, they have the lunch buffet. So when you come to DL, you can take a side trip to Shakey's. I read online there's a Farrell's somewhere in SoCal, but it's a bit far out, I believe.

16. Cannot_Wait_4Disney

Cannot_Wait_4Disney Ok all you A cattle, get in ...

Shakey's, so named because one of its founders suffered shaking due to a bout of malaria, was a fairly large national chain at one point but a series of buyouts, each with bad management nearly killed it completely. Today, there are 58 stores left in the U.S. with 51 in California. Ironically, none of them are left in Sacramento where it was founded. Shakey's, back in its day was an example of the California style crust. It was thin, but not wafer thin, crispy on the bottom, and bubbly on the top and never soggy. Today's extra thin crusts aren't the same.

17. teller80

teller80 DIS Veteran

Hey! That was my answer! I remember them having delicious hamburgers.

18. bunkkinsmom

bunkkinsmom <font color=magenta>No 9, so it's all good<br><fon

Well maybe I can shed some light on the Chi Chi's situation, at least here in NC. I worked for Chi Chi's for 6 years in Raleigh on Falls of the Neuse Road. I left there to work across the street at TGIFriday's. I too LOVED Chi Chi's. The only restaurant I've ever worked where I could eat there everyday and never get tired of it. When I started in 1988 we were busy every every night. For any of you who visited the Raleigh Chi Chi's, if you remember it was HUGE!! There were 4 different rooms and it was not uncommon for 3 of them to be packed every night with hour plus waits on the weekends. Over the years the crowds dwindled, but never to the point of closing. The Food Service providers in NC stopped carrying the Chi Chi's products, as many of the stores closed throughout the country. However, our store was still doing quite well. Our franchise consisted of Raleigh, Greensboro, and a newly opened Cary store. When we lost our food service provider, we were literally buying product at the grocery store. You can't do that for too long and stay in business. Hence the demise of Chi Chi's in Raleigh.

Now, for those of you that loved the Pollo Magnifico (probably the most popular dish) I will share with you the secret to it's greatness. I am assuming I can't be jailed since there are no more stores in my state :goodvibes

Ready? Here it is........

Go to the store. Buy chicken breast. Buy "Chi Chi's Margarita Mix". Marinate Chicken in the Margarita Mix overnight. Grill. Serve over your favorite spanish rice. Melt Velveeta cheese and add half part Mexican white queso and melt together. Add 1 jar of Chi Chi's Medium salsa. Drizzle over chicken.

The Margarita Mix is the secret ingredient...... ENJOY!!!

19. bunkkinsmom

bunkkinsmom <font color=magenta>No 9, so it's all good<br><fon

Woolworth's! That takes on an entirely different meaning here. I live in Greensboro, NC. We were home to the Woolworth's sit-in. The International Civil Rights Museum is housed in the old downtown Woolworth's and the lunch counter has been completely restored in the basement of the museum.

20. bntlyclg89

bntlyclg89 Waiting to return!

The Dutch Pantry

El Toritos

Arthur Treacher's

I miss them all!

21. roliepolieoliefan

roliepolieoliefan DIS Veteran

We still have Ponderosa, Houlihann's and Hardee's .

Miss Chi-Chi's, Rax and GD Ritzys