Ice cream man $

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by gigi1976, May 27, 2010.

1. gigi1976

gigi1976 Mouseketeer

Trying to set up an ice cream man fund (jar) for the kids this summer, but I honestly have no idea how much things are from the truck now. It really wouldn't surprise me to be $5 for a chip burger, but I'm hoping that's not the case! It isn't going to be a regular thing maybe just a few times a month.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. patsal

patsal <font color=FF3399>I've discovered I don't need to

Around here most items are $2.50, but there are items that are $3/4/5

4. XYSRUS

XYSRUS DIS Veteran

I can...the ice cream truck comes 3x/wk here. There are 2 different ones and the prices are .25-50 different. Adds up with our family. For 5 of us (1 kid hates ice cream, can you believe it?!?) we spend between $11-$15 bucks for each visit. Pricey but the memory is priceless. The kids wait at the end of the driveway with their eye a glow...now we go to Long Beach Island, New Jersey every year and the ice cream truck there is highway robbery-still pay it though! $20-$25. Nothing beats melted ice cream and sand being washed off in the salty water!

5. Kies99

Kies99 I Can has Cheezburger???

Just bought from the man the day before yesterday.

Popsicle items were $1.00 (The big, super size kind)
    Ice Cream items were $1.25 - $1.50

Not sure what you call them, but we got the ice cream sandwiches that were two chocolate chip cookies with ice cream in the middle that had been rolled in chocolate chips. They were $1.25.

6. rdevine10

rdevine10 All our dreams can come true, if we have the coura

The ice cream truck comes to our beach daily in the summer. Ranges from $3.50 to $1. Yes, they have about 5 options that are only $1.

I literally give my kids a set amount each week for ice cream. If they want it daily, then they will have to get $1 ice creams. If they only want it a couple times, then they can splurge, as this Momma refuses to spend $40 a week on ice cream :)

7. lumpy08

lumpy08 Mouseketeer

Our ice cream truck is outside the school everyday when we walk home. Most of us mom's pick Friday as our ice cream day. The other thing that one of the mom told me to do was bring the kids to the supermarket and give them the same amount of money you give to the ice cream truck. Then show them what they can pick out. The kids are usually amazed that they can get 12 ice creams for the same price as what they get for 1 ice cream off the truck.

8. mrodgers

mrodgers DIS Veteran

Wow, ice cream truck. I'd be like a little kid running after the ice cream man if I saw one. I haven't seen an ice cream truck since back in the 80's when I was a kid.

Just might have to ask Mom if the ice cream truck still comes around (we also had sno-cone truck back then) and take the kids in to visit so they can have the joys of chasing down the ice cream truck.

Eddie Murphy's speil on the ice cream truck is still the funniest thing I've heard in comedy.

9. LisaInNc

LisaInNc Succulent Wild Woman

Our ice cream truck has 1.00 items and I restrict my DD to that except on special occasions. I also have a rule that if one kid gets it they all do. A lot of kids play in my backyard or my neighbors. I won't have her eating ice cream in front of them so I have to make it cheap and honestly I find they don't really care they are just happy to get it.

Lisa

10. labdogs42

labdogs42 DIS Veteran

I love our ice cream truck! Ours comes around the neighborhood on Fridays. Most things are $2 - $3. (our guy has the cookie sandwiches in two sizes -- one is $2, one is $3). I never had an ice cream truck growing up, so I love to buy ice cream for the ice cream truck. Sometimes I even hear the music and go running outside before my 5 year old! :thumbsup2 I like the idea of taking the kid to the store with the same amount of money. I'll have to do that one week. but, I do love to buy from the truck, so I'll probably keep doing that, too. At least it is only once a week and we aren't always there at the right time, so it isn't a total budget killer.

11. gigi1976

gigi1976 Mouseketeer

I think we will do the grocery store thing too! I think it was Ray Romano that had a joke about telling his kids that whenever the ice cream man rang the bell it meant he was all out of ice cream!

12. budbeerlady

budbeerlady <font color=blue>I call DH The STREAK!!<br><font c

Dd was so excited to see her first ice cream truck last week. (We live out in the sticks so I was shocked to hear it coming!) The cheapest item was $2 and it went up to $4. She bought some watermelon looking popsicle thing and ate it for dessert that night. She still talks about the ice cream truck and hopes it comes again so it was $2 well spent for our first ice cream truck. I grew up in the sticks also and never had an ice cream truck so we had to make a purchase.

13. LisaNJ25

LisaNJ25 DIS Veteran<br><font color=aqua>I paid $300 back i

Ours has all different types of soft serve ice cream. Ranging from $1.75 to about $4.00.

14. dizneechic

dizneechic DIS Veteran

Our ice cream truck ranges from $2 - $5 and he comes around 3-4 times a week. We only get something once, maybe twice a summer. We have a several boxes of treats in our garage freezer that are ice cream truck treats (same things, just purchased at the grocery store) so if we're home and he comes around and it's an OK time (ie not 10 minutes before dinner) we let the kids pick out a treat from the freezer. It's much more budget friendly and they are having the same treats their neighborhood friends are.

The only thing I can't seem to find that my kids want are the Sponge Bob and Dora things with the bubblegum eyes. :rolleyes1

15. ChrisinNJ

ChrisinNJ DIS Veteran

I try to avoid the ice cream man at all costs.

Usually we end up spending between $11.00-$13.00 for all 5 of us. I would rather go to Dairy Queen or Ralph's Italian ice stand for that much $$

Today at ShopRite, I bought Marinos Italian ice cups (6 pack for $1.99), Dole Ice Pops, and Klondike Bars. Plus we have already had one trip to Ralph's this week... I try to show my kids that for the $ we can get a much better product/value, and use the leftover $$ to do something fun!! :)

16. EclecticWAHM

EclecticWAHM Mouseketeer

We gave up on the ice cream man. It's just too darn expensive when I can get the same Good Humor stuff at the grocery store for 1/4 of the price. I just keep treats around and then the kids don't bug me for ice cream man money. It just seems like such a waste.

17. ptmmg

ptmmg DIS Veteran

our ice cream man comes everyday during the summer around 4:30 he has everything from small soft serve ice cream and slushes that are $1 to more novelty kinds that are up to $3 most things are under $2

18. bas71873

bas71873 DIS Veteran

Our truck, which right now comes every Thursday....RIGHT NOW in fact, things are $1, $2 and $3. In the summer they stop at the pool and cruise the 'hood twice a day. DD has to use her allowance if she wants anything more than once a week and we stick to the dollar menu :goodvibes

19. Mom2Ben02

Mom2Ben02 <font color=red>Our little souvenir from WDW was b

We have a scary ice cream man in our neighborhood. The truck still has it's old stickers on it, was a painting van. They are partially covered with pics of the ice cream - which are ripped off pieces of the cardboard boxes the ice cream bars came in. Oh, and the prices are written on the walls of the truck in Sharpie marker. It all just SCREAMS "pedophile chic".

In other words, we don't buy from the ice cream man. :rolleyes:

20. kellia

kellia DIS Veteran

Dd was nice and bought her little brothers each a popsicle from the ice cream truck on the way home from school a couple weeks ago. She said they were $4 each! She said she wasn't being nice again! ;)

I've got the freezer stocked now, though, so they'll have cheaper options on hand. I think I only bought something from the ice cream truck for dd once in her life, she now understands why! At our old neighborhood, the ice cream truck had music that was broken, it sounded like a music box out of a haunted house!

21. musclemouse

musclemouse DIS Veteran

I start singing REALLY LOUDLY when I hear the ice cream man pull into our community. I have good ears, so I hear it before the kids do. I think they caught on to that fairly quick. Now I have to come up with another plan. I cringe at the sound of the music. Marc is a nice nice man and I almost feel obligated to buy from him DAILY! God help me. We need a plan man!