I would rather not come if I knew I would wind up getting...

I would rather not come if I knew I would wind up getting...

• a Handicapped room

• a Smoking-optional room

• a Dumpster view room

• I would be disappointed but "play the Glad Game".

Results are only viewable after voting.

wdwendyd

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
This is inspired by the Room Change Rant thread. Would you not want to come at all if you knew you would get stuck with one of these rooms?
(You can vote for more than 1 item)

Welll, it's not that I wouldn't go on vacation..but if I knew all that was left at say, BWV, was handicapped rooms, then I would make my ressies at another DVC resort.
But really, I would go no matter what. Views don't bother me. I prefer a nice one, but I'm not picky.

Ultimately, I would be happy with almost any room at Disney (hey, I'd be in DISNEY WORLD!).

However, I just can't have a smoking room. I'm a non-smoker who grew up in a house full of smokers & I remember my clothes always smelling like smoke (yuck!). You just cannot get rid of that smell.

Getting a smoking (or smoking optional) room is the only situation that would make me complain to the front desk.

Hi all
I'm an exsmoker and just can't stomach the smell any more..So that is a pet peeve of mine ..:rolleyes:

lilkitty

11/96---off site
11/97---off site
11/00---offsite
11/02---All Star Movie
11/03---First trip home BCV

# 1--need a non-smoking room/can't handle the stench
# 2-- no handicap room
after that anything will do even a dumpster view.:bounce: :Pinkbounc

I once was given a dumpster view at BW and asked for a change or to have my points dropped to standard instead of preferred. (I got my room changed.) I'm not normally very particular with my view (except at HH where I absolutely LOVE the marsh view!), but being charged "preferred" for the dumpster view was too much for me. Oh yeah -- if you stood on the balcony and looked sharply to the left, you could see the waterway to MGM...

I wouldn't be thrilled with a smoking room, but I'd make do. Views, HCA, location as to elevators/restaurants etc is just not important to me.

Give me the dumpster view if it assures I won't get the other 2.

LOL, I'm with Dean on that one !!

I'd put up with a handicap room if that was all that was available, but I wouldn't be happy. The smoking room is a different issue. I had this on my last visit and the room stank like a used ashtray. I was gagging when I walked in the room and even with windows open for 30 minutes ( and it was BREEZY) and two trips round with the spray they think kills the smell it was still intollerable. We did manage to get moved, but I would plain just not accept a room that had that degree of smell to it and put the ball back into the court of the front desk.

Shoot, I'd be happy sleeping on a cardboard box beside the dumpster - i'd be at DisneyWorld !!!!!

Doing my best "Dorothy" impression, clicking tennis shoes together three times :

There's no place like the "World."

Opens eyes - looking around - Damn, still here :( .

We've stayed in a handicap room, and had no particular problems; so that stay would be alright. As reformed smokers, we've stayed in smoking rooms--my mistake for not making a specific request. Following use of their spray, and a day of the ozone machine, we coped. On most visits, the view is somewhat moot since we arent in the room all that much. So I guess we'd come, regardless.:smooth: :smooth:

We had the "dumpster view" in July, I think--but we were on the 5th floor and it was covered, so we didn't mind. I think it might be harder to deal with on the 2nd or 3rd floor.
Robin M.

You can close the drapes if the dumpster view really bothers you.... you can be thankful that while in a handicap room, you may not be in a position that you always need to request a handicap room if you don't, and it'll only probably really make a difference in the bathroom....... but you can't run, you can't hide, you can't escape from that stinkin' smelly stench of a smoking room, and it may keep you from sleeping comfortably, breathin' easily, get in your clothes and promote constant gagging........

It's an easy choice given the poll above.....

Disneyaholic,
I got the same room--mine was on the first floor, though, so I had to go out to the sidewalk to see the view. I was SOOOOOO upset!! My actual answer would have been to take the awful room only AFTER I had made the CM's life a living Hell first, and the CM still wouldn't give in, but that wasn't an answer. Darn!

I don't know if I'd worry about any of it...except maybe the smoking room if it smelled too much like smoke. Stayed in a smoking-optional room at the Polynesian once and it didn't smell. However, at certain times, the hallways did...

Taking bets now as to whether I'll get the Boardwalk Preferred Dumpster View in May.

I guess I'm in the minority. I would not cancel my annual vacation for any of these reasons.

I figure that in 40 years of vacations I'll get all of these at least once. Since we don't have a medical reason to avoid a smoking-optional room (though we certainly wouldn't like it), we'd make do with any of the rooms rather than cancel our vacation.

edit note: I'm not sure what "play the glad game" means, but if it means make the most of a less than perfect situation, then that's what we'd do. The description of that option, however, seems to be less than complimentary.

Geesh...I had all of the above on our last trip (in two different rooms at different resorts). Yes, it was less than perfect...but I've had perfect enough times that I figured it was my turn for "less than". I didn't have to pretend I was happy or wish to go home....we all know these rooms exist and that we very well may have to accept one at some point.

The only time I'd completely insist on a room change would be if we were given a handicapped studio....can't go without a tub with little kids (last trip we had a 2br...so the kids used the big tub). Other than that, most smoking optional rooms you'd never know it. And no, I don't like the smell of cigarettes and notice it pretty easily. Though, I guess I'd insist on a change if I were given a room that smelled badly of anything that I couldn't get rid of by airing out the room!

My choice wasn't there. There really isn't anything that would keep me from going!

I'm not sure what "play the glad game" means, but if it means make the most of a less than perfect situation, then that's what we'd do. The description of that option, however, seems to be less than complimentary.
The Glad Game mostly applies to the Handicapped room but can be used in any disappointing situation. It comes from the movie (& book) of Pollyanna. Pollyanna's father is a minister and a missionary. They are very poor and can only get clothing and such from the missionary barrels. Pollyanna wants a doll. The father requests one but by some mistake, they are sent a pair of crutches. Pollyanna is disappointed and the father helps her by making up the Glad Game. They try to think of why they can still be glad. They come up with that they are glad they don't need to use the crutches.
This is one of Disney's most wonderful and touching movies. I highly recommend it!

No way I could take a smoking room or even smoking optional!!! My friends give me a hard time and tell me if it weren't for modern medicine I would have had to have been a "Bubble Boy." I have the asthma and allergies, been on shots most of my life. My worst traveling experience was when we went to Kings Island Inn and I slept on a feather pillow. Next day, sick as a dog. Actually, I haven't been back to King's Island since.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter