I won a Disney Cruise! PTR

eyor44

DIS Veteran
Yep, the title says it all. I won a Disney Cruise, from Disney. I would have never thought it possible. I mean, I see sweepstakes and contests all the time with really cool prizes, but I often wonder if anyone really wins them. Now, I know......
I had been following a thread here on the Dis about the One More Day sweepstakes. One day someone mentioned a different sweepstakes that involved playing a game. Intrigued, I clicked on the link provided and that was all it took. I was hooked. I loved the game and was frustrated that I could only play it once a day. I never thought about winning, I mean, it's fun to dream, but I don't win stuff. Every day from the middle of February to the end of March I played the game.....every day. Collected all the prizes and just had fun. So much that when we went to Florida the first week of April, I even logged in a couple of evenings just to play. Never gave the game any thought, even when it reset to a new cruise prize the beginning of April. We were at Disney for the week and other exciting things were happening. Plus, the interenet at Disney is WiFi and I don't check email over that. Too risky.
We arrived home on Monday and I was sick, so sick that I didn't go to work nor did I check my email. The next day I finally got around to it and was cleaning out all the junk. As I was clicking and deleting, something caught my attention that caused me to pause, and read the subject line.....and re-read the subject line again.
DISNEY CRUISE LINE PROMOTION NOTIFICATION

uhhhhh..... is this a joke???????? I didn't recognize the sender, but something really seemed familiar. See, I had read the rules for the game, don't know why I did, but one day, I had nothing better to do so I did. I recognized the company. To be on the safe side, I pulled up the game and read the rules again. The company listed was the company I had an email from in my inbox. Shaking, I went back to my email. I figure, well, I've had a virus before, what the heck and I click to open the email.

....and read:

Congratulations! You have been randomly selected as the potential Grand Prize Winner. :scared1: :banana: :yay: :dance3: :faint:

I stared, then I screamed and then I started to shake. DH had just walked in the front door from a meeting and came running in the room and DD was sitting on my bed just staring at me.

I won! I won! It can't be possible! I won a cruise!!!!!

and then.....

I might be too late! :scared1:

but wait..... I carefully read the email. Maybe I wasn't too late, maybe there was still time. DH was standing there going call them, call Disney, tell them YOU WERE AT DISNEY!!!!!!!

Quickly I called the number listed in the email. Then I sent an email. Then I printed and read all of the attachments with the email. Which prompted another call and voice mail and another email.

I really felt sorry for the poor guy whose number and email I had. He wasn't going to know what hit him when he checked his email and voice mail the next morning. Messages from a crazy, hyper Southern speaking lady that he probably couldn't understand. :lmao:

One of the attachments was documents for us all to fill out to prove we weren't Disney employees (or relatives) so we could claim the prize. I read everything in detail and then filled everything out. I was going to be ready when I talked to this poor gentleman the next morning. Finally, I went to bed, but sleep was very elusive. I altered between excitement at the possibility of winning such an awesome prize and horror thoughts of what if I was too late. The documents said I had until 5:00pm the next day to respond, but what if they got tired of waiting on me. :eek:

The next morning I went to work and refused to leave my office for anything. I had left my work number and was patiently waiting (yeah right) for the phone to ring. Some of the documents had to be notarized and fortunately there is a bank right by where I work. Even more fortunate is that DH and I work for the same company, just in different buildings. DH arrives at work for 8:00am, the same time the bank opens. As soon as I knew the bank was open, I called DH. He was hesitant, why bother if we don't know if it is for real or not. My response:? I'm getting my documents notarized, if you want to go with me, you'll get yours done also. I wasn't playing around.

While we were at the bank, the contact from the company called and left a message asking me to call back. I did and left another message.....and waited....and waited. After an hour, I called again. Then I went ahead and faxed in the documents. Yes, I was very determined. I was going to claim my prize! Finally, I got hold of the contact. Yes, I was the potential grand prize winner!!!!!!!
Poor guy had to reassure me about three times, that yes, I won pending verification of my information. (they are very careful to say that). He asked, "so when can you fax the documents in". To which I replied, "they are already sitting on your fax machine." He put me on hold while he retrieved them and then explained what would happen next. After verification, they would contact Disney and then Disney would contact me. It would take about a week he said. A WEEK!!!!!

After I hung up the phone, I screamed, I laughed and I cried. Good thing I have worked in the same office for several years and we are more like family than co-workers. They are use to outbursts from me, but this one surprised them. Everyone knows what a Disney addict I am and were very happy at my good fortune.

Now, I have something new to research and obsess about. We have never been on a cruise before. DH and DS have been asking to go for a couple years now, but I was never too sure about it. Give up my Disney time to sit on a boat. Plus, those things are expensive. I didn't know how we could afford one. I had looked at different ones a little bit, thinking maybe we could do one for DS' graduation next year. Now, I was going to be able to give them the ultimate cruise. It still had not sunk in. Back of my mind was still the thought, was this real?

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy that a fellow Disney addict won a cruise - especially if you have not been on one before. You are in for a magical treat.

Congrats!! I won a WDW trip in a sweepstakes last year and it is a great feeling. That is the cruise out of NYC right? Do you know when you are going? Make sure you only accept the upgrades you want because they will all go toward the total you will pay taxes on.
I played everyday too. So happy to hear who won!

Congrats...looking forward to hearing more about the sweepstakes and the trip! I am so interested in which upgrades you ended up with in the game!

This is so cool! I can't wait to hear more.

Jill in CO

I can feel your excitement! It's only going to get bigger as the day arrives.
What ship and what sailing will you be going on? Sooooooooo happy for a fellow DIS'er.:cool1:

Woo Hooo! Congrats! I am so happy a DISer won. :cool1:
I've been playing too and it is fun just to play. lol

Congratulations but you didn't give us the details on the cruise!! Which ship? How long? What itinerary!!

You are going to LOVE the cruise!!!!!

That's FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!! So very excited for you!!!!!!! Couldn't happen to a nicer person! ;)

Congratulations! If it couldn't be me, I'm glad it was another DIS'er! We just took our first cruise on the Wonder in March. I think you'll love DCL!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy that a fellow Disney addict won a cruise - especially if you have not been on one before. You are in for a magical treat.
Thanks! we can not wait....

Congrats!! I won a WDW trip in a sweepstakes last year and it is a great feeling. That is the cruise out of NYC right? Do you know when you are going? Make sure you only accept the upgrades you want because they will all go toward the total you will pay taxes on.
I played everyday too. So happy to hear who won!
Thanks! What kind of trip did you win? Yes, out of NYC. Thanks for the tip on the tax/upgrades. I've been thinking about that and wondering how it works.

joining in-CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Thank you and welcome!

Congrats!! I've been playing the Disney Cruise Adventure game...it's such a blast.
Thanks! I know, I love it.

Glad to hear someone won and that you are a Disney Freak like all of us:goodvibes. Enjoy your cruise:thumbsup2
Yep, certifiable. That's me. :rotfl2:

Congrats...looking forward to hearing more about the sweepstakes and the trip! I am so interested in which upgrades you ended up with in the game!
Thanks! Not sure on the upgrades. I collected them all while playing, but what I have begun receiving is just a bit different. :confused3

This is so cool! I can't wait to hear more.

Jill in CO
I'll try to tell it the best I can. Thanks for joining in.

I can feel your excitement! It's only going to get bigger as the day arrives.
What ship and what sailing will you be going on? Sooooooooo happy for a fellow DIS'er.:cool1:
I am so excited. You just can't imagine. Info to follow soon.

Woo Hooo! Congrats! I am so happy a DISer won. :cool1:
I've been playing too and it is fun just to play. lol
Thanks! That what I was thinking. I just enjoyed playing the game. I still do.

Congratulations but you didn't give us the details on the cruise!! Which ship? How long? What itinerary!!

You are going to LOVE the cruise!!!!!
Thanks! Info following below.

That's FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!! So very excited for you!!!!!!! Couldn't happen to a nicer person! ;)
Thanks! Awww, you are so sweet to say that. :goodvibes

Congratulations! If it couldn't be me, I'm glad it was another DIS'er! We just took our first cruise on the Wonder in March. I think you'll love DCL!

:thumbsup2 Thanks! Always makes me happy when I see a Diser win something also.

To answer my own question: Yes, this is very real. And each time I receive another piece of correspondence from Disney, it makes it that much more so.

The guy from the prize company said that it could take up to a week or so for Disney to contact me. It actually only took 4 days.

The first email was a congratulations and gave me three dates to choose from. I was to prioritize the dates and let them know as soon as possible so they could check availability. We were very happy to receive our first choice.

The next day I recieved an email with our confirmation and itinerary attached.
Disney Magic
Sailing July 20
8 nights
New York to Bahamas with stops in Nassau, Castaway Cay and Port Canaveral.
Deluxe Ocean View Room with Verandah on Deck 7
Main Dining seating

Ocean View Room with Verandah!?!?:cool1: :banana: :woohoo: It just keep getting better.

The next email asked me to choose excursions in Nassau and Castaway Cay, two of the upgrades I had won.
Our choices were:
Nassau Port Adventure
o Atlantis Aquadventure for 4 pax ( any available time for each sailing)
o Seaworld Explorer Semi-Submarine for 4 pax (any available time for each sailing)

Castaway Cay Port Adventure
o Castaway Getaway Package for 4 pax (any available time for each sailing)
o Castaway Ray’s Stingray Adventure for 4 pax (any available time for each sailing)

We chose the Atlantis Adventure in Nassau and the Getaway Package at Castaway Cay which includes snorkeling equipment, bike rentals and a couple other things.

Airfare has also been booked, but I won't receive that info until the first week of June.

This all has me a little un-nerved because I am use to handling all of our reservations and details. Not knowing the flights, time, airlines, seats.......:upsidedow

Details! I need DETAILS!!!! Since Disney is only giving me one piece of information at a time, I think they are trying to draw out the excitement, there is only one thing I can do. Learn everything about this ship and cruise as possible. So, here I am. At the best place possible to find out all of the information I need to know about Disney cruises. The Disboards! :disrocks:

Sure, I have read the Disney Cruise Line web site. Multiple times in fact. I have devoured everything on there about the Magic and have study the ship layout repeatedly. I know exactly where our stateroom is and by the time we actually board, I hope to know exactly where everything is.

But the Dis, this is where I get the "other" important information. I have been lurking, and posting a bit, reading and learning. Everyone here has so much information to share and I really appreciate that. I'm going in blind here and need all the help I can get. :goodvibes

Here is some information about our family. There are four of us going on this cruise. Can you believe the trip is for 4?!?!
Me, the mom and total Disney Freak and addict. At work I am known as the resident Disney Info Center. At least once a week I will get a call or email asking questions. I am just happy being at Disney. Doesn't matter why I am there or what I am doing, I'm just happy to be there.

Then we have DH. He likes Disney, but in a different way. He is more or less amusing me. But he knows if I'm in Disney, then I'm not worried about work. Also, he discovered Disney golf. If he gets to golf a couple times while we are there, he's good and he loves going on the different tours they have.

Next is DS17. He is very close to being a Disney Freak. He plans to apply for the college program and when he graduates from college, work at Disney.

Last we have DD9. She has been raised at Disney. At age 7 she knew the transportation system well and one night explained to me the best way to get from HS to MK was by taking the bus to the Contemporary and then the monorail over to MK. Yep, I have taught her well. The only park she needs to use a map in is AK and I think she has that one down pretty good. I once wondered if perhaps we were taking them too much (once or twice a year) and then on our last trip, DD took my hand, laid her head on my shoulder and said with a sigh, "I just love being here." :love:

Last we have DD9. DD took my hand, laid her head on my shoulder and said with a sigh, "I just love being here." :love:

Cute!

Congrats on the trip, 8 nts, free excursions and airfare included! Sounds like a whole lotta fun!

Enjoy!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter