I was a movie extra! From DL Podcast

Discussion in 'The DIS Unplugged Podcast' started by lilmrsellis, Oct 30, 2012.

1. lilmrsellis

lilmrsellis Wishing upon a star...

I was an extra in the opening scene of We Are Marshall. I'm from Huntington, born and raised, and they filmed all but the football scenes on Marshall's campus. When it came time for the fountain ceremony (which really is a biannual rent here) they wanted as many people as possible to come. My mom and I went and are in the movie near the back when the camera pans away from the fountain.
    Anyone else have an extra story?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. ImTooExcitedToSleep

ImTooExcitedToSleep dis veteran

Very cool.

4. grafxgirl

grafxgirl DIS Veteran

Was this from the 2006 movie? The kids that attend the high school in our area, where I was doing my student teaching observations, had to watch that movie as part of their literature class. It was a very good movie.

5. k5jmh

k5jmh When Yuba plays the Rumba on his Tuba...

:rolleyes1

From Teresa's favorite movie (with Dixie Carter and Kenny Rodgers).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. lilmrsellis

Yep, sure is! I just remembered! The steel mill scenes were shot at my dad's plant! Almost all the extras in the movie are Marshall students and people from town.

The crash is still very real in Huntington to this day. Everyone old enough has a where were you story. I had a teacher whose parents died and a guy my dad grew up with was on the team but didn't travel that night. My mom lived out near the crash site and said as kids they thought it was a giant thunder clap.

7. Disney st8 of mind

Disney st8 of mind Mouseketeer

Jeff Daniels (Dumb and Dumber fame) is a local guy here and has his own theatre and production company. Around 2001 he wrote and directed his own movie (Super Sucker) and filmed in Jackson. I was in a mob scene filmed downtown. We all had to dress like crazy housewives and run down the street! It was a lot of fun and neat to see how films are made. We were downtown from dark til dawn just to film a couple minutes of the movie!

8. wiigirl

wiigirl DIS Veteran

Awesome! :)

9. lilmrsellis

Cute (drips with sarcasm). I really just wanted to know if anyone else had had a movie set experience since I CAN'T be the only one.

Anyways, during filming Matthew McConaughey walked to Subway everyday from the house he was saying in, but I was Lost obsessed and wanted to see Matthew Fox. My dad is in a local gospel group and they were recording a new album at the time. The studio owner called and canceled their session saying he'd had a call about urgent voice work needing recorded. He just figured it was a local commercial, but when the person showed up it was Matthew Fox recording last minute ADR for the season 2 (I believe) finale of Lost! His hair is red in the season finale, too, because he had to fly out for reshoots while filming We Are Marshall. That's pretty much the extent of my behind the scenes knowledge, lol. It isn't much :)

10. lilmrsellis

Awesome!

11. k5jmh

k5jmh When Yuba plays the Rumba on his Tuba...

Oh, that is me playing the Tuba. I have also played on a couple of different soundtracks. :cool2:

[​IMG][​IMG]

FWIW, The Tuba on the right is smaller (Pitched in CC) than the horn on the left (Pitched in BBb), the person has not gotten that much bigger.

12. skier_pete

skier_pete DIsney-holics Anon

I was in the crowd of the final football scene in the move "Rudy". I've been to one Notre Dame game in my life, and they shot the movie during half-tme using the regular crowds.

I still haven't actually seen the movie though...

13. WorldWacky

WorldWacky DIS Veteran

I was "Lady Liberty" in the movie Houseguest starring Sinbad and Phil Hartman. I had to run during the marathon scenes next to a guy dressed as Uncle Sam. I got to go to costume and make-up each day. It was fun. Especially during lunch. The food that was catered in was great! :goodvibes: I can be seen just behind Sinbad and Phil. Jeff Jones was also in the movie. It was about 95 degrees and humid for the four days that it took to tape those scenes. Jeff Jones sat on the curb in between scenes talking to the extras. Phil Hartman signed autographs in between takes.(Including one for an elderly lady who came up to him and said,"Are you somebody famous? If you are, I'd like your autograph." Phil laughed and said., "Some people think so ." and signed her paper. Sinbad was a jerk to everyone everyday I was there, including a little girl who was trying to take his picture from across the street. :confused3 He sent his bodyguard, who was about a foot shorter than him to yell at the kid. I was very surprised and disappointed to see that that was what he was like. Never thought of him the same way after that.:headache:

14. lilmrsellis

My bad! That's awesome!

15. Michele

Michele <font color=blue>You're never too old to sit in a

Both my sons were extras in The Informant, with Matt Damon. My oldest played the older son in the movie, mostly in family pictures on set but he did have one scene that made it in.
    DS on the right
    [​IMG]

My other one was in the pool at the hotel scene, very quick shot of him.

It was a great experience for them both!