1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

I want to work for Disney

Discussion in 'The DIS Unplugged Podcast' started by ksmithrpd, Jan 17, 2011.

1. ksmithrpd

ksmithrpd Earning My Ears

I have seen a lot of comments about the CP Program. Does anyone know what it is like to be a regular full time castmember?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Cheshire Figment

Cheshire Figment <font color=red><marquee behavior=alternate>Friend

Are you looking for hourly or salaried?
    Would you have to move to the Orlando area?
    Are you currently a student, recently graduated from college, or a retiree looking for something to help keep you out of trouble?
    The WDW Jobline is 407-828-1000.
    Depending on what you will be doing, as an hourly employye it is not easy to start off as full-time. If you are a professional you can start in a salaried (full-time) position.

4. Dismom+two

Dismom+two <font color=purple>Dh and I always refer to it as

Someday when I retire, I want to move to Florida and work there part time. :goodvibes

5. simonkodousek

simonkodousek 438 Miles From My Happy Place

I totally agree! :)

6. ninecrayons

ninecrayons DIS Veteran

My dad is about to retired and my parents are planning to move to Florida... I think I may just have found the perfect second career for them! :rotfl2:

7. mainegal

mainegal <font color=purple>I am becoming very good at maki

I have an idea that the work is probably harder than it seems.

And if I worked there as a retirement job, I would not want to work if the temperature was over 80. Think they'd agree to that?

8. BethEJo

BethEJo <font color=blue>I left the house at 5.45am - that

When you say CP, you're talking about the college program right?

I'm doing the international college program this summer at WDW and will be working on attractions. The Disney recruiters were very keen to get across to us the fact that working for the world is going to be hard work. CP CMs often work unsociable hours and we were told that we might occasionally find ourselves working 60 hour weeks! Ouch!

Nevertheless, I still can't wait!

There are loads of disers who have done the CP over on the college boards. They're a great bunch and will happily pass on their experiences of the CP.

However, if you werent referring to the college program, then completely ignore my post :)

9. disneydad78

disneydad78 <font color=red>DDC #106<br><font color=purple>Mor

Does anyone know if they staff RN's on site or at the parks? Wife and both are RN's and we are thinking about moving to Davenport to work in the Orlando area. Only problem is, the pay is not that great for RN's.

10. Cheshire Figment

Yes, Disney uses lots of RNs.

Every Park has a RN-staffed First Aid Station which is open from Park opening to closing. The theme parks have at least two on duty at all times, while I think that the water parks have at least one.

In addition, there is the Cast Health Services. Sometimes if a person gets ill during the day they have to go there for an excused absence. Also, if you have any medical condition which will require a workplace limitation you have to process it through Health Services, so all your supervisor knows is you have a physical limitation and what the restrictions are and not what is the cause of the limitiation.

And the nurses are moved between the Parks and Health Services.

11. Ms. Belle

Ms. Belle Today is my Unbirthday!

@Cheshire Figment - I've applied many times through the disney website for salaried positions in the logistics department. The job descriptions align with what I'm doing now, so I feel qualified. I never get any return calls or e-mails other than the standrard e-mail advising that they've received my resume. I live in CT, but am willling to relocate (which I've done before), so that isn't an issue. I'm not sure why I'm not getting any other response from Disney. Do you have any insight?

12. Cheshire Figment

Two answers for your question.

One is that unless you have a real special skill they are looking for they don't want to pay relocation.

The other is the level of bureaucracy. Judy and I both worked for the Federal Government until we retired. As we often told people, until we started dealing extensively with Disney we thought we worked for the largest bureaucracy in the world. And within any bureaucracy, the HR department is always the most bureaucratic.

13. exwdwcm

exwdwcm wishes she was Wendy Moira Angela Darling

I know salaried/professional positions are extremely hard to come by and very competitive and they promote from within quite often. I still kick myself for no trying for an advanced internship after my CP. But even those are highly competitive and my chances were probably slim.

I agree that working at the world is often a lot harder than it looks, especially for the CP. Out of the 6 of us, only 2 had decent jobs (entertainment and attractions- Circle of Life movie). the rest of us worked our fingers to the bone, crazy hours, tracking down strollers after closing all over the park (yep, you leave it somehwere, someone's gotta pick it up later!)......taking heavy pans of greasy turkey legs out of the oven and later cleaning out that oven (yeah, she smelled like grease the entire semester!)......bussing tables, washing silverware in the back with NO guest interaction (yep, lucky me!).....chopping veggies in a kitchen.......restocking heavy trays of desserts into a fridge.....cleaning up that puke after Jr. has too many mickey bars! and all that for about $5 an hour. It isn't all fun and glorious. i hated the days i had to work in back and had zero guest interaction. at least on the front line, i could see guests having a good time while i slaved away! :confused3:rotfl: but regardless of how much hard work it was, i cherish that time and memory and consider myself lucky to have had the chance! :wizard:

14. Metro West

Metro West <font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=blue> Moderator

I would venture to say that in order to get into Disney with a professional position not only would require many, many qualifications being met but also knowing someone that can help you never hurts. Sometimes it's the reason you get an interview in the first place...because of a friend's recommendation. I can't imagine Disney is different from other companies in that regard.

15. kbelle8995

kbelle8995 DIS Veteran

It depends on where you work but working for the mouse isn't always easy. I worked as a hourly person and was also in the CP.

Plus: You do get a good work experience working with all different kinds of people. Disney does look good on a resume. Either way you get in to the parks for free except maybe holidays.

Minuses- The pay is not great. I made minimum wage on CP and a lot of that went to my rent. I did slightly better on Hourly but not much. This might have changed since I worked for them during the 90's. And higher position as with all companies are hard to get not impossible but hard.