• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I want to be where the people are… (and not in cold Canberra!) An August 2015 PTR - Updated 8/9

SnowWhiteOz

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone. I’m a long term lurker on these boards (well at least since April), recently started actually participating and have been having a great time reading through others PTRs and TRs and thought I might give it a go. I think my colleagues are probably sick of hearing about my planning (even though I try to keep it to once a week or so discussions :P) so I figure I’ll annoy you guys rather than them!

I leave for the US in just under 6 weeks and will be at WDW in 7.

About Me –General
Me_opt.jpg
(Normal)

10653499_1462233894063999_3587641769581518049_n_opt.jpg
(Princess mode)

I’m 28 years old (but probably more like 6 at heart).

I’m originally from Melbourne, Australia but currently live in our nation’s capital, Canberra.

I’m a public servant (I think you call them civil servants in the northern hemisphere) and work for the federal government.

I love to travel, have been to over 25 countries, and, if I’m in a country with a Disney Park, I will always go.

More Importantly, About Me - Disney

Well for starters I’ve never been to WDW (shock horror! :scared1:) but I have been to all the other parks so I feel I’ve been saving the best for last.

My first trip to a Disney park was to Tokyo Disney all the way back in another millennium, 1990. And despite my grumpiness in the photos I'm assured by my mother that I actually did have fun.

Tokyo Disney 2_opt(1).jpg

Tokyo Disney_opt(1).jpg

It was then a while before my next trip when I went with my DM, DF and 2 DB to Disneyland on our family vacation in 1999. CA was not open at that point.

In 2007 I visited Paris Disney, and yes it is small, but it still has that all important Disney magic. (Importantly I apparently kept up the tradition of wearing red and finally learnt how to smile)

Paris Disney_opt.jpg

In 2009 to celebrate graduating university I went back to the states and went to Disneyland, and this time, to California Adventure as well. I wasn’t a huge CA fan but DL can do no wrong in my book. As a bonus I was there at Halloween and the attention to detail was incredible.

Disneyland_opt.jpg

And now to the last time I was at a Disney Park, Hong Kong in 2012 (which seems oh so long ago but still fresh in my mind). I loved HKD. It is perfectly sized, is tremendously clean, everyone is friendly and as a bonus they have Toy Story land! I don't have many photos from that trip, but I do have one from the Disney Train, a Mickey cookie and the tea cups!

HK 5_opt.jpg

HK 4_opt.jpg

HK 1_opt.jpg

Favourite Park:Hong Kong Disney
Favourite Ride: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Favourite Character - Princess:Snow White
Favourite Character - Non-Princess: the Genie
Favourite Disney Movie:Aladdin

Stay tuned for more on dining adventures, fast passes and my crossing over to the dark side...

Last edited:
The W's!
When

I am going to WDW for the very first time in mid-August (8/13-8/20) for 7 nights! I booked my trip to the States back in April as there were some incredibly cheap fares and I really wanted to go visit my brother who lives in sunny LA.

It’s also a great time to be escaping the freezing cold of Canberra where I live. It’s currently hovering with tops of 10-12°C (50°F) and the mornings are even colder at -5°C (20°F).

Why
1. Because I’ve never been to WDW!
2. I was going to be in the same country while visiting my little brother (and what’s another 5417Km (3366miles) when you’ve already travelled 12, 330km (7661 miles))
3. To complete my Disney Parks to do list – I’ve been to every other park except this one.

Where

Seeing as I am travelling on my own accommodation becomes quite an expense. I’ve never stayed on site before but when looking at the accommodation I could afford offsite it became clear that it was worth the extra $20 a day to stay at a Disney Resort.

And where did I decide to stay after all that contemplation?

Poop.jpeg

When I went to book I was able to take advantage of the summer accommodation offer and saved 20%. I also booked on Orbitz to take advantage of their additional 15% bookings and ended up paying $100 a night (which was a total saving of $41 a night or $290!). I’m booked in for a standard room and have requested the 50’s building with a lake view (fingers crossed!)

Wheels in motion (or how am I getting there)

I’m spending the first week of my stateside trip in LA and then a few days in Vegas. So I had to find a flight from Las Vegas to Orlando - there is no way in such a short trip that I would even contemplate driving for 30 or so hours!. I ended up booking with SouthWest as they were one of the only airlines that flew that route directly. It wasn’t super cheap and the Australian dollar is only at .74 USD but that’s the price to pay to get to WDW.

My return flight is on Delta flying directly back to LA where I have a whole 2 days before commencing the epic 18 or so hour trek back to Australia!

Last edited:
Dining Plans & ADR's

I’ve only booked in for 2 ADRs for my trip. Dining by yourself in TS restaurants at Disney prices can get expensive so I will be mainly sticking to QS/CS meals on my trip.

August 14 – AK
· Lunch - Flame Tree BBQ
· Dinner – Pizzasafari

August 15 –US
Ok so I’m not sure if I’m breaking the rules here but I am breaking up my WDW week with 2 days at Universal. What can I say other than that I love all theme parks? :ssst:
· Lunch –Bumblebee Man’s Tacos
· Dinner – Leaky Cauldron

August 16 – US IOA
· Lunch – Fire Eater’s Grill
· Dinner – Three Broomsticks

August 17 – Epcot
· Lunch – 12:45 ADR at Biergarten - I’m actually really looking forward to this. I love German food (and beer!) and love a good oompah show. My only concern is if I get table mates who don’t appreciate the whole communal dining thing.
· Dinner – Electric Umbrella

August 18 - MK
· Lunch – 12:25 ADR at Be Our Guest
· Dinner – Colombia Harbour House

August 19 – DHS
· Lunch – Toy Story Pizza Planet
· Dinner – Backlot Express

August 20 - MK
This is the day that I depart WDW L.My flight is in the evening so I will be able to stay in MK until mid-afternoon. My plan is to have one last lunch at Pinocchio Haus Village – and maybe another Dole Whip on the way home .

Of course on all these days there will be numerous stops for snacks like Dole Whips, Carrot Cake Cookies and maybe even a Cinnamon bun or two.

Last edited:

FastPasses

August 14 – AK
· 9:00-10:00 – DINOSAUR
· 10:05-11:05 – Kali River Rapids
· 17:30-18:30 – Kilimanjaro Safaris (I’m not sure about the timing of this one – the advice I’ve received says the animals are more active around this time, especially after the rain, but I could be convinced otherwise)

My plan is to park hop to EPCOT after AK closes so there will be hopefully more FPs on the day!

August 17 – Epcot
· 9:05-10:05 – Test Track
· 10:10-11:10 – Mission Space
· 11:15-12:15 – Spaceship Earth

August 18 - MK
· 09:30-10:30 – Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
· 10:30-11:30 – Space Mountain
· 11:30-12:30 – Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin

August 19 – DHS
· 9:10-10:10 – Star Tours
· 10:10-11:10 – Toy Story Midway Mania
· 11:20-12:20 – Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

August 20– MK
· 9:25-10:25 – Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
· 10:30-11:30 – Haunted Mansion
· 11:40-12:40 – Splash Mountain

Last edited:
Following your PTR! I can't believe you've got nearly 3 weeks to go! I'm originally from Auckland, NZ, currently living in Wales, U.K. And lived in Adelaide, SA for 5 months in 2010 ::yes:: I can't believe how cold it is, I've seen photos of the snow and it's so weird! I was over in SA when it was summer and the Queensland floods hit and came all the way down to Adelaide with all the locusts! :crazy2: Can't wait to read your TR if you do one though!

Looks like a well planned and thought out trip you've got there! You'll have an amazing time!

I've recently moved to NZ with my partner, I'm 28 and she's 29, so it's nice to see a fellow Disney nut around our age! Our next trip to WDW will unfortunately involve the long haul flight too :( Good luck!

We stayed at Pop during our last trip and you can't go wrong there. Cool design, good food court (although it can get busy and noisy!), and the bus transportation is good too (we waited a max 10 minutes for buses last August). Plus, Pop is only a 5 minute walk to Art of Animation, which personally, we think has a better food court; much more choice and better quality food we found. Although, if you like pancakes try the ones at Pop! They came with bacon, sausage, and a fruit compote, which will get you fuelled for the day!

Your AK day looks good. You're right about the Kilimanjaro Safaris, the animals tend to be active either later in the day or in the morning when the weather is cooler. You must do Expedition Everest! And as you're travelling solo go in the Single Rider line and save yourself a heap of time.

Epcot day - Highly recommend Soarin', but as you haven't FP+ it get in the park at opening and speed walk over there before the queue gets out of hand! The boat ride around the greenhouse gardens in The Land is also great, and the food court inside this building is well worth visiting for a snack between your ADRs. Ellen's Energy Adventure, although a bit dated, is great for a cool off and a quick nap as it's a 45 minute ride in the dark with AC!

MK days will be awesome! Columbia Harbour House is a great restaurant, and if you sit upstairs you get a nice view into Frontierland and of The Haunted Mansion. Try the Salmon with Couscous and Broccoli, so fresh, and a welcome break from the usual fast food options at CS restaurants.

Good selection on the DHS FP+ :) TSMM is awesome! Such fun! The shows are all great here too, especially Fantasmic! The later showing tended to be quieter when we were there during summer last year, as most families had left the park by then.

All your snacks sound good too! Missing Dole Whips now! Mickey Bar Ice Creams aren't to be snubbed though, or ice cream at Plaza Ice Cream Parlour at MK, and unless you really love ice cream, a kids ice cream is an adults size portion, and get two chocolate buttons put into the ice cream like Mickey ears!

Enjoy US and IOA too, absolutely fantastic parks, and the Harry Potter rides and walkthroughs are incredible!

Sounds like an amazing trip, have a good one :) (Not jealous at all!)

Following your PTR! I can't believe you've got nearly 3 weeks to go! I'm originally from Auckland, NZ, currently living in Wales, U.K. And lived in Adelaide, SA for 5 months in 2010 ::yes:: I can't believe how cold it is, I've seen photos of the snow and it's so weird! I was over in SA when it was summer and the Queensland floods hit and came all the way down to Adelaide with all the locusts! :crazy2: Can't wait to read your TR if you do one though!

Thanks LanaBear-ox! Luckily we don't actually get snow here (although it would be fun) - the closest we get is a lot of frost. Which is cold enough when you're out walking the dog at 7 in the morning!

I'm hoping to do a full TR just to keep the trip alive for a little longer but at a minimum I'll definitely do a dining report (somehow food ends up being the focus of all my holidays popcorn::)

Looks like a well planned and thought out trip you've got there! You'll have an amazing time!

I've recently moved to NZ with my partner, I'm 28 and she's 29, so it's nice to see a fellow Disney nut around our age! Our next trip to WDW will unfortunately involve the long haul flight too :( Good luck!

We stayed at Pop during our last trip and you can't go wrong there. Cool design, good food court (although it can get busy and noisy!), and the bus transportation is good too (we waited a max 10 minutes for buses last August). Plus, Pop is only a 5 minute walk to Art of Animation, which personally, we think has a better food court; much more choice and better quality food we found. Although, if you like pancakes try the ones at Pop! They came with bacon, sausage, and a fruit compote, which will get you fuelled for the day!

Your AK day looks good. You're right about the Kilimanjaro Safaris, the animals tend to be active either later in the day or in the morning when the weather is cooler. You must do Expedition Everest! And as you're travelling solo go in the Single Rider line and save yourself a heap of time.

Epcot day - Highly recommend Soarin', but as you haven't FP+ it get in the park at opening and speed walk over there before the queue gets out of hand! The boat ride around the greenhouse gardens in The Land is also great, and the food court inside this building is well worth visiting for a snack between your ADRs. Ellen's Energy Adventure, although a bit dated, is great for a cool off and a quick nap as it's a 45 minute ride in the dark with AC!

MK days will be awesome! Columbia Harbour House is a great restaurant, and if you sit upstairs you get a nice view into Frontierland and of The Haunted Mansion. Try the Salmon with Couscous and Broccoli, so fresh, and a welcome break from the usual fast food options at CS restaurants.

Good selection on the DHS FP+ :) TSMM is awesome! Such fun! The shows are all great here too, especially Fantasmic! The later showing tended to be quieter when we were there during summer last year, as most families had left the park by then.

All your snacks sound good too! Missing Dole Whips now! Mickey Bar Ice Creams aren't to be snubbed though, or ice cream at Plaza Ice Cream Parlour at MK, and unless you really love ice cream, a kids ice cream is an adults size portion, and get two chocolate buttons put into the ice cream like Mickey ears!

Enjoy US and IOA too, absolutely fantastic parks, and the Harry Potter rides and walkthroughs are incredible!

Sounds like an amazing trip, have a good one :) (Not jealous at all!)

Thanks for all the useful tips Karen - I really appreciate it.

I'm planning on doing RD most mornings and Soarin is where I'll be headed first at Epcot- but I actually don't mind too much if I end up missing it as I have ridden it at DLR where it makes a lot more sense (seeing as the video is the same in both parks and is set in CA)

I'm going to have to update my PTR as I've been able to get some more ADRs as the trip gets closer!

Dining Plans & ADR's - Update

I had originally planned to do just 2 ADRs but I'm getting a nice tax refund (my first refund in 5 years) and decided I can splurge a little more (cos who knows when I'll get a chance to come back)

August 13 - DTD
Dinner - Earl of Sandwich/Ghirardelli

August 14 – AK

· Lunch - Flame Tree BBQ
· Dinner – Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party

August 15 –US
Ok so I’m not sure if I’m breaking the rules here but I am breaking up my WDW week with 2 days at Universal. What can I say other than that I love all theme parks? :ssst:

August 16 – US IOA

August 17 – Epcot
· Lunch – 12:45 ADR at Biergarten - I’m actually really looking forward to this. I love German food (and beer!) and love a good oompah show. My only concern is if I get table mates who don’t appreciate the whole communal dining thing.
· Dinner – Electric Umbrella

August 18 - MK
· Breakfast - 8:00 ADR at Be Our Guest
Lunch – 12:25 ADR at Be Our Guest (I'll probably cancel this I'm just keeping it as a backup in case the park opens early in which case I'll cancel breakfast. If this one is cancelled I'll go to Pinocchio Village Haus this day.

August 19 – DHS
· Lunch – Backlot Express
· Dinner – 7:05 ADR 50s Prime Time Diner

August 20 - MK
Lunch – 12:35 ADR Be Our Guest (I still want to do a lunch at BoG so it will either be today or earlier in the week)

Last edited:
Packing (or more accurately, Shopping)

So I may have gotten just a little too excited for this trip and have been buying just a "few" Disney things to take with me. I'm justifying it on the basis that there are only a handful of spots I can wear a princess t-shirt without being judged so I'm going to exploit that as much as I can princess:

image.jpg
First off is my Princess top - why pick one princess to wear when you can wear them all?

image.jpg

And these are the nail decals I've picked for the trip - Disney and cupcakes? What more could a foodie princess want?

image.jpg

And here's my new conversation starter, or should I say phone cover. It makes me smile every time I look at it :-)

A few toiletries made it in as well
image.jpg

Plus some "tattoos"
image.jpg

And last but not least, I unleashed my crafty side and made up a trip diary and a dining diary to encourage me to write everything down so I can bring it all back here and share with you all

image.jpg

Last edited:
Getting close now. I'll be there same time as you and can't wait to escape the cold...although on those hot days I will be missing it lol.

Getting close now. I'll be there same time as you and can't wait to escape the cold...although on those hot days I will be missing it lol.

I know. It's getting hard to stay focussed at work - what with all the last minute planning and trying to score last minute ressies ☺️

Fellow Aussie in the house!!! Or maybe I'm only half Aussie?

Your trip sounds fantastic!!

Where did you get your princess shirt? I think I need one for my trip :)

Fellow Aussie in the house!!! Or maybe I'm only half Aussie?

Your trip sounds fantastic!!

Where did you get your princess shirt? I think I need one for my trip :)

Thanks! The shirt was from Big W - but it is from the kids section - luckily I managed to squeeze into a girls 12 (they go up to a 14). It's one of the benefits of losing 7kg in preparation for putting it all back on at Disney! popcorn::

Dining Plans & ADR's – Update Two

As my trip gets closer I’m noticing more and more ADRs open up for some places I wanted to try so my dining plans have changed again!

August 13 - DTD
Dinner - Earl of Sandwich/Ghirardelli
9:00 ADR at Beaches and Cream (unless I can get an earlier res I probably wont go and will just stick with Ghirardelli)

August 14 – AK

· Lunch - Flame Tree BBQ
· Dinner – Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party

August 15 –US

August 16 – US IOA

August 17 – Epcot
· Lunch – 12:45 ADR at Biergarten
· Dinner – 9:30 ADR at Cinderella’s Royal Table! So excited to be able to get in here and meet all the princesses! princess:

August 18 - MK
· Breakfast - 8:00 ADR at Be Our Guest
Lunch – 12:25 ADR at Be Our Guest (I'll probably cancel this I'm just keeping it as a backup in case the park opens early in which case I'll cancel breakfast. If this one is cancelled I'll go to Pinocchio Village Haus this day.

August 19 – DHS
· Lunch – Backlot Express
· Dinner – 7:05 ADR 50s Prime Time Diner

August 20 - MK
Lunch – 12:35 ADR Be Our Guest (I still want to do a lunch at BoG so it will either be today or earlier in the week)

I'm still keeping an eye out for other ADRs at places like Chef Mickeys, Ohana, Askerhaus etc so this may change again

Last edited:
FastPasses - Update

I've changed a few fastpass times just so I can try and get 4th and 5th passes on the day

August 14 – AK
· 9:00-10:00 – DINOSAUR
· 10:05-11:05 – Kali River Rapids
· 11:05-12:05 – Kilimanjaro Safaris (I've changed this to the morning so I can get more FPs on the day)

I have a reservation for the Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party this night so I'll hop over to Epcot after AK closes and see what FPs I can get on the day (if I need them).

August 17 – Epcot
· 9:05-10:05 – Test Track
· 10:10-11:10 – Mission Space
· 11:15-12:15 – Spaceship Earth

August 18 - MK
· 09:30-10:30 – Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
· 10:30-11:30 – Space Mountain
· 11:30-12:30 – Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin

August 19 – DHS
· 9:10-10:10 – Star Tours
· 10:10-11:10 – Toy Story Midway Mania
· 11:20-12:20 – Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

August 20– MK
· 9:25-10:25 – Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
· 10:30-11:30 – Haunted Mansion
· 11:40-12:40 – Splash Mountain

Last edited:
If you get to those early FP+ and you don't need them, you can always do standby and move or change the FP+ instead of using it if you don't need it. Easier to do on your phone in line, versus going to a kiosk and making additional FP+. A lot of waits are so low in the morning, that I find I don't need them. Course, I go at a slower time than you do, so maybe it's different.

If you get to those early FP+ and you don't need them, you can always do standby and move or change the FP+ instead of using it if you don't need it. Easier to do on your phone in line, versus going to a kiosk and making additional FP+. A lot of waits are so low in the morning, that I find I don't need them. Course, I go at a slower time than you do, so maybe it's different.

Thanks MataHari22 - that's a great tip. Will definitely keep it in mind if the standby lines aren't too bad.

I have been twice since FP+, and have found that to be the case both times. I found that if I was there for rope drop, using a FP+ before 11am, was pretty much just wasting it. I am probably going to make mine after lunch this year even if I'm there for rope drop. Your trip is really getting close now, these next two weeks will probably fly for you.
:tigger:So exciting. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter