1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

I want my cake and eat it too. Help me make this work!

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by moopdog, Oct 22, 2012.

1. moopdog

moopdog Dreaming of Disney....

Okay, I know I should just be happy that I got a FD pin, however, I am driving myself crazy trying to make it work how I want to.

I currently have 7 nights at POFQ with Free dining
    2 nights at at AKL with just RO discount.

However I'd really, really like to be able to spend more days at AKL, but I can't really give up more than 2 days of free dining (if I could find a way to have dining for the full 9 days I'd REALLY be happy)

I've been playing with the website all day....If I switch it around and do 2 nights at POFQ without the dining AND then have 7 nights at AKL with Free Dining....it will add about $600 to my current vacation cost. Is it worth it in your opinion?? Having never stayed at a Mod OR a Deluxe, I really don't know what I'll be missing so I need advice. And if I do this and book the 7-night part 2nd (2 nights at FQ first), can I use my park tickets from my 2nd stay during those first 2 nights? In other words, can I use the park tickets before checking into the AKL which I'm booking as my package?! :confused3

And BTW, if free dining gets announced for the general public....will that help me in the way that I can have it at both resorts regardless of # of nights booked? Or will that have absolutely no affect on me at all?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. moopdog

Shoot! I thought I posted in the Resorts Forum. Sorry

4. sharonabe

sharonabe DIS Veteran

Free dining to anyone always requires a park ticket, so even if it comes up for the general public, you'd need tickets with both reservations to make it work. And free dining usually asks for a two-day ticket.

I wish I could answer definitively on the 2-day POFQ/7-day AKL question, but I've never tried to pick up tickets early. From reading the DIS, I believe you can still do that. You might want to check the ticket sticky at the top of the forum to see if the answer is there.

5. Cheshire Figment

Cheshire Figment <font color=red><marquee behavior=alternate>Friend

If you go to the locked sticky Everything About WDW Tickets in this Forum, especially Post #15-I, you can get a lot more information. An easy way to get to the sticky is by clicking on the link in my signature. The ticket sticky is your friend!

6. Cyrano

Cyrano Moderator Moderator

No probs OP just moving this to Resorts board :thumbsup2

7. moopdog

So it sounds like staying 2 days at the moderate and 7 nights at AKL will be doable ticketwise. But now I need to know if it's worth it to spend $600 or so to spend 7 nights at AKL instead of 2.

Opinions welcome & much needed!

8. Singinglizzie

Singinglizzie DIS Veteran

Well, here is my opinion. AKL is a fantastic resort and it's one of my favorite places to stay in the world. I always wish I could go back and stay there just one more time:lmao:. IMHO it's one of the only resorts I would travel to Orlando for, and stay without going to any of the Disney parks. If you can swing the $600, they yes spend the money. Just make sure to spend time at the resort to get your monies worth. That being said, we just got back from a 4 night stay at POR and was pleasantly surprised on how nice it was, so you could have a good time at POFQ and save your $600. However, if you feel you can splurge go with AKL, and if not, stay at POFQ. Hope this was helpful!:goodvibes

9. moopdog

Thanks. I am going to "run the numbers" one more time and try to make a decision tonight! It will be my 3rd change to our reservations, so I want to be really sure.

Are the deluxe (standard view ) rooms at AKL, much more spacious than FQ? Is it noticeably bigger/better in the room? My kids are bigger than me so it's like 4 adults in one room... If we'll be more comfortable at AKL, that's just the extra push I need to do this!

10. disneychic2

disneychic2 DIS Veteran

Since you've never stayed at a mod or deluxe, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by POFQ. That's our favorite resort. We love how small the grounds are which makes the food court and bus stop close no matter what building you're in. Also the boat to DTD is a perk we find very useful and fun. Now, for space, AKL will be bigger, but now hugely so. AKL has 344 sq ft and FQ has 314 sq ft. Personally, I don't think it's worth $600, but that's just me. I enjoy a deluxe when the room discount is right, but I don't prefer one necessarily. I think 2 days at AKL will give you the idea of wether or not that would be a place you would be willing to spend big bucks to stay. Hope you settle on something you'll love and remember wherever you stay, you'll be at Disney!!!

11. moopdog

Well, food for thought - this will more than likely be our last Disney trip. Sad, but true. My kids are getting older and although we really like Disney we are not super fanatics, and have lots of other places we want to see over the next handful of years before they are out of the house. That being said.... I think I'm gonna go for it! AKL for 7 days instead of 2.... Yes!

12. NHKristy76

NHKristy76 Senior Mousketeer

I don't understand... There are other places worth seeing? Do you mean Downtown Disney or Blizzard Beach? ;) LOL

13. we3travellers

we3travellers Mouseketeer

Both resorts are lovely, but I too think AKL is worth the $600. I do want to point out that if you do 7 nts AKL first, and then POFQ, you may be slightly disappointed. What I mean is, I'd rather end my trip with a deluxe than a mod. Also, not sure what your discount is, but I have a pin for both FD and a 35% off deluxe. Run the numbers for both and you will see that 7 nts at AKL with the disc and purchasing DP is cheaper than paying rack and getting FD. Mods usually work out better with FD, but again it depends on your discount. One more thing, remember that if you do 7 nts POFQ then 2 nts AKL, you can use those dining credits until midnight, which means you can actually have dinner your first nt at AKL on left over credits at Boma! You would have to save the credits from earlier in the week, but it can be done. Either way, you will have a great time! Our vacays seem to always be 7 nts and DH says the next HAS to be 9!

14. moopdog

Are you sure about this? I also have the two different PINS (35% or FD) and I thought it came to much more with the RO discount & adding FD. But I am checking right now again just to see. I would love it if you're right. Can someone doublecheck my math?

It would be
    2 adults & 2 kids ages 10 and 12 (so basically FOUR adults)
    7 nights at AKL would be in a standard room 2/2-2/9.
    2 nights at POFQ would be 1/31-2/2.
    8 MYW Basic Tickets.
    Regular Dining Plan

15. moopdog

Yeah, I don't think it's cheaper the other way around. At least not for me, with 4 Disney-Adults. Maybe that's why some people make out better one way or the other.

For 7 nights at AKL, with 35% off PIN and adding the Regular Dining plan, and 8 Day MYW tickets for 4 people = $4288.32

Using the Free Dining Pin with everything else the same = $3516.44

It would cost us almost $800 more to use the Room Only Pin that then Free Dining.

Again - if someone sees this differently please let me know!! :hug: Thanks.

16. we3travellers

we3travellers Mouseketeer

Your math is correct. Wow! Does it ever get expensive once those kiddos become Disney adults! We are only 2 adults and 1 child, so it makes a huge difference. I am saving $200 at WL by purchasing DP and using pin for 35% discount. We may even just upgrade to club and forget the DP. Still $200 cheaper with the upgrade.:thumbsup2

17. moopdog

Jealous! No, just kidding ( and enjoy it while it lasts!!).

18. stitchlovestink

stitchlovestink DIS Veteran

I have not stayed at AKL (and in all honesty have no desire to...not my taste...I have visited it, so I have been there). My only caution would be that if you are relying soley on disney transportation, I hear a tremendous amount of complaints about the wait times. I have many friends who LOVE this resort BUT they will only stay they with a rental car because they say the bus service is THAT bad. We also were not impressed with the length of time we had to wait when we have used buses to get to & from AKL to dine. I really don't find anything there worth the time we wasted getting to/from. But to each his/her own. Just thought I'd give you some food for thought because there are alot of complaints about bus service to this hotel. Good luck with your decision! :)

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

19. stargazertechie

stargazertechie Toy Story Midway Maniac

I'm a young professional, so for me every penny counts, and we don't blow money.

That being said, it is ABSOLUTELY WORTH the extra $600 to do the 7 nights at AKL. It's a gorgeous resort, there is SO much to do and see there... the pool is one of the best on property- I'd say probably only second to Stormalong bay.

To be honest, yes, the bus transportation can be a bit slower than other resorts, but not by much

20. moopdog

Just curious but what makes the pool do great? To be honest, from the photos, I was thinking the French Quarter pool looked much more fun with the serpent slides. I can't see or get much of a description on the AKL pool. Plus it'll be February, so I don't want to look "too" forward to it if it will be cold anyway.

21. basketlacey

basketlacey DIS Veteran

My two oldest were the same age as yours last year when we went to AKL. They loved it. Actually we all did. I think it is worth the extra $600. Also, you might look at the pool view rooms. They are only a little bit more (maybe $15 a night?) and not only is the view stunning, the location is prime (close to lobby, mara, etc).

There are lots of great places around the resort to view the animals - both inside and out. I loved leaving in the morning and grabbing coffee and then finding a quiet place to sit. I am usually the first one up so it was nice to have a place to go.

The pool is huge. It is zero entry which is neat and there is tons of seating around it. There are a couple of nice hot tubs too which could be good in February. They roast marshmallows every night near the pool deck (I think they do this at all deluxes maybe?) and every night they show a movie near the pool as well on a giant screen. One night after we returned from the parks, we grabbed dinner from the mara (and a couple drinks from the bar for dh and I) and the kids sat on the ground and ate and watched a movie while dh and I hung out closer to the pool and just relaxed. It was great.

The only day we had any issue with transportation was coming back from DTD. That was insanity and took over an hour. Outside of that, no issues with buses.

Have a blast!