I thought I'd pop over here and ask the experts?

anniet

DIS Veteran
Hi!:wave:

I'm imagining that there are a few tea drinkers here- since some of my friends who have visited the UK say tea is much more important over there than it is here. I'm hoping someone can help me.

In the past year or so, I have begun drinking looseleaf teas (is that the kind you drink?) and now I can't bring myself to take a sip of anything steeped in a bag.

I was wondering if anyone who drinks looseleaf tea could tell me if they have found any in the parks, restaurants or resorts..... or if you just bring everything needed with you and prepare it yourself in your room?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Alas over here loose leaf tea is not very popular, you can still buy it in supermarkets but its not widely available.

Give me good old Tetly T bags any day :D
Loose leaf reminds me of the tea my Nan used to make, gauranteed you'd get a mouthful of the stuff :eek:
Bless her :p

:jester: 68 to go :jester:

My old Mam still uses loose tea and you have to leave a bottom inch of the cup if you dont you get a gobfull of tea leaves then you barf!!!! TEA BAGS RULE!!!

I prefer tea made with loose leaves (am I the only one left?). But then I am an OAP, or Senior as our much kinder US friends would say. I am also a white knuckle ride / theme park addict and will be travelling to Orlando next month for the second time this year.

I take my favourite brand of tea with me. A few years ago I declared it as foodstuff at Boston airport customs and was told that they would have to throw it into the harbour. I laughed until the tears ran down my leg.

I have also had trouble at airport security - a tea strainer (absolutely essential for a good cuppa) can look remarkably like a weapon on the X-ray machine I'm told.

I have yet to find a hotel or a restaurant in the USA which provides tea made with loose leaves. Another problem is that hotels and villas do not provide tea pots and anyone who makes tea with loose tea leaves in a cup must be a little kinky. I now pack a small teapot.

I've just read the above and realise that I get more like Victor Meldrew every day.

Cousin B - Just love your reply!! :) Especially the tea strainer story!

My Mum and Dad still drink loose leaf tea but I prefer tea bags.

anniet - I would say that the British tea bags are much better (imho!) to the American tea bags and the taste a lot nicer, so it may be worth your while trying to get hold of some and trying those out. Not sure if there are places in WDW that do tea that way though.

Astrid

I plan to take my own T bags and coffee for the hotel room.
It may sound silly, but would the airport/customs have any problem with that ?
I know you have to throw any drinks/food that you take on flight with you away.
Also, whats the American milk like ?

:jester: 68 to go :jester:

Alexandra

There should be no problem taking your own tea/coffe. We always take tea bags (packed in our suitcase). We find the coffe out there OK so don't bother taking that.

If you are expecting the milk to be clearly labelled skimmed, semi skimmed etc - THINK ON. The coding seems to be x% fat. We assume that the more fat, the more nearer it is to our 'standard' milk. You also have milk with assorted vitamins added. The choice is endless. As for taste - the milk is fine. As well as tea/coffe, we've had it on cereal, the kids have drunk it - all with no complaints!

Maxine:cool:

Hi,
I just love ordering tea when I'm in Florida,despite my first trip being in 1980 little seems to have changed with the way the Restaurants serve tea.I've had it made with luke warm water,brought to the table with a seperate glass of milk and usually they bring a mug of warm water with a tea bag and nowhere to put it once the tea is brewed.Oh well I guess it serves me right for not drinking coffee.
I seem to think that the small shop in Epcot's World Showcase UK pavilion may sell loose tea (Twinnings I think).

Mick.

:smooth:

usually they bring a mug of warm water with a tea bag

this always happens, and always winds me up. One of my friends did this to me (at her house), so I took her back to the kitchen and taught her how to make a cup of tea with boiling water. She said she had always used warm water as that's how it is served in restaraunts, so she assumed that was how it was made.

Bev

Anniet: The store in The United Kingdom at World Showcase, Epcot sells loose tea and also a few British Tea-Bag varieties.

Hope this helps

Richard.

Thank you all for your replies!:D

And a special thanks to Cousin B for making me laugh!

Unfortunately, I must confess to mickg7dyd that it's not only Florida, but almost everywhere in Massachusetts that serves tea that way as well. I have found that very few finer restaurants will serve a small pot of loose leaf tea, but at $6.00 I find it very expensive. My coffee drinking friends only have to pay about half that!

I will stop by the shop at the UK in EPCOT to see what I can find, but I will also be packing my own pot and tea leaves, and hoping if security makes me open my suitcase, they don't mistake my tea leaves for some illegal drug.:eek:

Thanks again!

Annie T.:D :D :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter