"I think I'm in love, and her name is Polynesia..." an Aug/Sept '15 TR (NEW TR link @ end!)

:rockband::music:Jellyrolls! (best I could do given my choices)

So..... ahem......
I may or may not have (I did) book TWO trips to Disney yesterday. Because, Hi.. My name is Nicole & I am a Disaholic.

I could not may pass it up- a friend who owns DVC is not using their points and rented them to me for a steal. ($9 a point!)
I booked Poly DVC for March 17-22nd (to front our spring break trip to Arizona.. we'll go from ORD-MCO-PHX-MCO) and then a girls trip in May at Boardwalk DVC. Which is where this was going.. since... girls trip=no kids=boardwalk=3 nights at Jellyrolls! :laughing:

I'm so excited........ planning can commence again. I don't even care that it will be insanely crowded in March because I can just sit on the Poly Beach and be happy! :beach:

Also, didn't I tell you they wouldn't play songs when I was there last time? I think I mentioned that... we also went on a VERY slow night in Feb and I agree it def. affects the mood/energy of the place.

All caught up. I love your Cinderella comment about your wife. I said, "Aw!" out loud after reading it. Your steak dinners looks amazing. We always seem to visit the water parks when we go. We always have so much fun. You do have to be careful though. My mom bumped her head on a slide years ago. She had to be rushed to the ER for a concussion. She was bruised very badly. In fact she was in the hospital for a couple of days where her and my dad couldn't finish their vacation and missed their flight home. I'm glad you didn't end up the same way. Can't wait to read more.

Oooh - that's awful. My bump was just a stinger, a little stunned but I was able to shake it off pretty quickly. I didn't even mention it to DW. While we've had our problems at Disney, we've been lucky that there's never been any serious injuries.

:rockband::music:Jellyrolls! (best I could do given my choices)

So..... ahem......
I may or may not have (I did) book TWO trips to Disney yesterday. Because, Hi.. My name is Nicole & I am a Disaholic.

I could not may pass it up- a friend who owns DVC is not using their points and rented them to me for a steal. ($9 a point!)
I booked Poly DVC for March 17-22nd (to front our spring break trip to Arizona.. we'll go from ORD-MCO-PHX-MCO) and then a girls trip in May at Boardwalk DVC. Which is where this was going.. since... girls trip=no kids=boardwalk=3 nights at Jellyrolls! :laughing:

I'm so excited........ planning can commence again. I don't even care that it will be insanely crowded in March because I can just sit on the Poly Beach and be happy! :beach:

Also, didn't I tell you they wouldn't play songs when I was there last time? I think I mentioned that... we also went on a VERY slow night in Feb and I agree it def. affects the mood/energy of the place.

Yes, yes - you told me about the songs. This was the first time I've ever seen it. Some were pretty obscure. A few were "the guy that plays it isn't here tonight" and still others were a case where I surprised they didn't know it, but they offered to play something else. In one case they did actually go back and learn the song.

Good for you on getting two trips. Is mom disappointed you are cutting your visit short for Disney? $9 a point, that certainly is a steal. How did you convince Captain Killjoy. You guys will love the Poly. Girls trip of course sounds fun. I would be terribly jealous if DW went without me to WDW.

I just stumbled on your report, am all caught up, and can't wait to read more! I especially loved reading about your date night. That is something I will definitely try to fit in on my next trip.

Great report so far, I am really enjoying it! Your daughter is so cute. She always looks like she is having a blast!

The Yachtsman was one of our favorite meals last year. Soooo hard not to fill up on those amazing rolls but the steak is to die for.

You better not be a vegetarian at the Yachtsman!

I've never been game enough to TAKE a pesky vegetarian to Yachtsman. Next time we're there, I'm going to ditch him and find a suitable carnivore to dine with!!!

DW had designed an outfit for tonight that was inspired by Cinderella. Only Cinderella never looked this gorgeous!

::yes:: DW looks amazing!

Jellyrolls?? Yet somewhere else I need to get to!!!
YAY for the DisMeet.

I can definitely agree with you that Yachtsman is a wonderful place to dine!

I am not necessarily a fan of the strip steak, but I may be able to take you somewhere where they serve a pretty good one, we should talk! I owe you a PM!

Other than this I wish I would have been to Jellyrolls more recently. We probably don't know any of the tunes they play any more so it probably may be off our list. They used to play tunes we knew, but since we are out of the hip parade, They may not know any of the songs we used to know. Especially Fran, she relates to the Benny Goodman era!

Good for you on getting two trips. Is mom disappointed you are cutting your visit short for Disney? $9 a point, that certainly is a steal. How did you convince Captain Killjoy. You guys will love the Poly. Girls trip of course sounds fun. I would be terribly jealous if DW went without me to WDW.

We are not going to cut our AZ trip too much actually... the girls get off that Friday afternoon- the following Monday for Spring break. I was looking at a Sat/Sun dept to Phx returning Monday/Tues... now I will take them off school Thur/Friday for Disney and we'll head to PHX Tues vs. Sat/Sun.... and stay till Tuesday (and take the girls out that day likely unless I can score a cheaper fair home on Monday)

Well, Capt. Killjoy is named such for a reason. He does not share my love of Disney so he is perfectly OK with me going without him. Now if I tried to go to Vegas without him..there would be a problem......... He was surprisingly fine with the family trip. Even laughed as I brought it up.... he knows I can't stay away. And it has been almost 2 years since he's gone so he's OK heading back I think..... I will have to deal with his crankiness at the crowds- no doubt- but with us being at Poly and our favorite parks being Epcot and MK... I can just send him 'home'. :)

Yum, Yachtsman Steakhouse is really delicious! Your meal looked amazing. I shared a porterhouse last time with DH. We really enjoyed it. I think next time I'm getting my own ribeye. LOL
Your DW looks really cute in that outfit! Love the Cinderella inspiration.

Jellyrolls looks like fun! I have never been but will do if we stay in that area.

It sounds like a great trip so far. Do you think Jellyrolls is a good place to go if you don't drink? My wife and wanted to go our last trip but never got a chance.

Love getting all these responses! Thanks everybody!

I just stumbled on your report, am all caught up, and can't wait to read more! I especially loved reading about your date night. That is something I will definitely try to fit in on my next trip.

What made us decide to buy DVC was nights like this. We actually have as much if not more fun when we are on our own without our daughter. (She can be a stick-in-the-mud when she's not doing what SHE wants to do...the perils of only childhood.) Yachtsman + Jellyrolls is a great date night - which is why we've done it three trips in a row. Of course it helps to be staying at BC, but we did it from Caribbean Beach and just got a taxi.

Great report so far, I am really enjoying it! Your daughter is so cute. She always looks like she is having a blast!

The Yachtsman was one of our favorite meals last year. Soooo hard not to fill up on those amazing rolls but the steak is to die for.

It's funny - the photopass pictures were like pulling teeth anytime she had to do it, but then she would still smile. She definitely was having a good time! The rolls at Yachtsman are really good too. I have the same problem trying not to eat them.

I've never been game enough to TAKE a pesky vegetarian to Yachtsman. Next time we're there, I'm going to ditch him and find a suitable carnivore to dine with!!!

::yes:: DW looks amazing!

Jellyrolls?? Yet somewhere else I need to get to!!!
YAY for the DisMeet.

Oh yeah - I always think of you when we eat there and think how your DH would NOT want to eat there. But they do have things on the menu besides Steak - I am not sure of the vegetarian options, but if I know Disney they would have something available.

And :thumbsup2 on getting to Jellyrolls.

I can definitely agree with you that Yachtsman is a wonderful place to dine!

I am not necessarily a fan of the strip steak, but I may be able to take you somewhere where they serve a pretty good one, we should talk! I owe you a PM!

Other than this I wish I would have been to Jellyrolls more recently. We probably don't know any of the tunes they play any more so it probably may be off our list. They used to play tunes we knew, but since we are out of the hip parade, They may not know any of the songs we used to know. Especially Fran, she relates to the Benny Goodman era!

Well, I do have to say that Jellyrolls spreads it around quite a bit. They actually played a few songs this time from the 50s and early 60s, though there was a LOT of nineties going on that night as well. If you don't like what they're playing - you gotta make the requests. Probably no Benny Goodman, but I do think they did a Louie Armstrong song that night.

I am all for a good steak and DW is right there with me. Steak is the top reason I could never become a vegetarian. #2 is a good burger. #3 is bacon. mmmmmm...bacon. If you are talking about Steakhouse 55 we so much want to go there.

We are not going to cut our AZ trip too much actually... the girls get off that Friday afternoon- the following Monday for Spring break. I was looking at a Sat/Sun dept to Phx returning Monday/Tues... now I will take them off school Thur/Friday for Disney and we'll head to PHX Tues vs. Sat/Sun.... and stay till Tuesday (and take the girls out that day likely unless I can score a cheaper fair home on Monday)

Well, Capt. Killjoy is named such for a reason. He does not share my love of Disney so he is perfectly OK with me going without him. Now if I tried to go to Vegas without him..there would be a problem......... He was surprisingly fine with the family trip. Even laughed as I brought it up.... he knows I can't stay away. And it has been almost 2 years since he's gone so he's OK heading back I think..... I will have to deal with his crankiness at the crowds- no doubt- but with us being at Poly and our favorite parks being Epcot and MK... I can just send him 'home'. :)

Sounds like you got it all figured out. Too bad we won't catch you in Mesa yet again. Funny that our two main vacation destinations are the same. IN 2017 we might do an Easter trip. The February trips aren't the best time to go out there, but I was trying to use the low point season for DVC. (Epic fail as they say.)

The Poly is actually a GREAT base for Epcot as well as MK. From the DVC buildings (Moorea, Tokelau and I forget the 3rd one.) its only about a 5 minute walk to the TTC, so you can hop direct on the Epcot monorail.

Yum, Yachtsman Steakhouse is really delicious! Your meal looked amazing. I shared a porterhouse last time with DH. We really enjoyed it. I think next time I'm getting my own ribeye. LOL
Your DW looks really cute in that outfit! Love the Cinderella inspiration.

Jellyrolls looks like fun! I have never been but will do if we stay in that area.

She actually bought costume jewelery from the Cinderella collection from the latest movie. We didn't find out that what she was doing is called "Disney Bounding", but I found it kind of fun. It really was a beautiful outfit, I hope she wears it more than once. Maybe in California in February.

Jellyrolls IS fun!! You definitely should check it out once. We never got there until they closed Pleasure Island, but as you can tell we love it.

It sounds like a great trip so far. Do you think Jellyrolls is a good place to go if you don't drink? My wife and wanted to go our last trip but never got a chance.

I would say YES!! DW ended up not having a drink at all. I stick with the solo cup drinks because relative to their size (24 oz) the price is reasonable ($12) and you can usually milk one or two of them all night. They charge a cover ($15?) to get into the place, so there is no drink minimum. The wait-staff certainly hovers around - especially it was a slow night - but there's no need to order alcohol. Of course, the place is meant for singalongs, so sometimes it takes a little lubrication for the crowd to get into it, but the night we were there there weren't any serious drunks around. The other times we've been during food and wine season - well, there might've been a few people that overindulged. The one thing I always recommend - the place usually peaks between 10 PM and 12 PM, so that's the best time to be there for the best crowd energy. They open at 8 PM but even on a happening night it's usually pretty slow until 9:00 or 9:30. (My guess is that a lot of people come over from Epcot, which typically closes at around 9:15 after Illuminations.)

Looks like a wonderful trip so far! DH and I are headed to San Angel on our date night when we go to Disney in February. I'm really looking forward to it.

I wanted to get one more update up this week. This is the start of our 4th day, Monday August 30th. The early part doesn't have many pictures. This time I had a camera, but there wasn't really much to take since we were doing the YES program. I thought people might still be interest in the details - so I tried to describe as much as I could.

This morning was the first of our two sessions of the Disney YES program. For those that haven’t read my TR, YES stands for Youth Education Services. Disney runs classes that you can arrange your school class to come to Florida and take a 3-hour class. However, they also run some limited levels of individual enrollment classes. Some of these classes sound really great, and they also allow for discount park tickets when you book through the YES program. We’ve wanted to put DD through a couple of these programs for a while, but our last two trips (2011 and 2013) were in November when they don’t run the program, and before that she was too young.

The class we were scheduled to take this morning was called “Everyday Chemistry”. It was listed for ages 9 to 15, and DD being 12 fell squarely in the middle of that. Also, I am a Chemical Engineer by trade, so I thought it would be interesting to see how they worked Disney rides into Chemistry.

The main problem with the class was that it was scheduled to start at 8:30 AM at the front of EPCOT. This would be great from just about any other hotel – but from Beach Club it’s terrible, because there are no busses that run to the front of EPCOT. This meant we had to take a taxi. Fortunately, it was a short ride that only cost me $15.

The class was made up of around a dozen kids and maybe 6 – 8 parents. The registration said only one parent was allowed, so DW got to take the morning off. The day looked very overcast in the morning, but really there was never any threat of rain. We started out going over some basics of chemistry. The instructor was an older gentleman. He did a nice job of trying to engage the kids. I say trying because I have to tell you – pretty much all these kids didn’t want to be here. Maybe it’s the tween age, or the fact that they had to spend their Disney vacation attending a class, but the overall attitude was “bleh”. Actually DD did an pretty good job of engaging. The initial focus was on how the main building blocks of the world around us are made up of hydrogen (H) oxygen (O) and carbon (C) and that a bunch of common items (vinegar, sugars) are molecules made of different combinations of these atoms. He did a few minor experiments – one using the absorbent material currently used in diapers. Then we walked into the park and over towards the East side. He talked about natural forming molecules and how plants convert sunlight into energy.

Then we went on Ellen’s Energy Adventure. We really didn’t discuss anything ON the ride, just rode it. Of course being that this was first thing in the morning, there was almost no-one else riding with us. (One family was there – what the heck guidebook are you following people!) Many of the kids clearly hadn’t been on this before, but DD was a veteran and knew what was coming. She actually really likes this ride/attraction, and I have to say I enjoy it, even though it is WAY too long for what it shows.

After the ride, the instructor (and I apologize for forgetting his name – he did a real nice job) talked about the cycle of plants breaking down to form the energy that we use for oil and gas. He then broke out some molecule models, and broke the kids into group to make individual small pieces of the molecule. Then he had them put it all together.

DSCN4038_zpsfjpnctwu.jpg

Then he talked about how breaking it up release the energy in all our fuel. Next we headed around to another section of the East side of future world after a short potty break. It was over near Test Track, and actually was where they typically put the butterfly garden during the Flower and Garden festival. Then he started to talk about polymers. He again broke out the molecules, and had every make a “Mickey” (1 Carbon, 2 hydrogens), then he had us pass each molecule down and connect it to the next one. In the end he’d made a long-chain molecule. The he did an experiment that we do when we do school demos at work: He made slime from Poly Vinyl Acetate (PVA) which is essentially elmer’s glue and borax soap. When you mix the two – the borax cross-links the PVA to form long-chain polymers – or a slimy substance. Then he talked about how some polymers cling to things, and he took a plastic bag and filled it with water. Then got a volunteer he held the bag over her head, and he stuck pencils through it to prove that the holes would seal. I though this was neat because I’d never seen this done before.

DSCN4039_zpsirfssc0z.jpg

Next he talked about using chemistry in designing space ships, and also in cleaning up water for space travel. It became obvious we weren’t heading to Test Track next, but to Mission: Space. We stuck with the green side, and again went on the ride. It didn’t have a ton of relation to the discussion of chemistry. I think that was the toughest part of this is the links between the rides and what they were trying to teach was tenuous at best.

After Mission Space, there was a little more discussion of Polymers, where he had the kids try to guess which of two sheets would keep water out of a cup. (He put a Minnie figure in a cup and said they had to help Mickey to pick what to make her raincoat out of.) The kids picked the wrong one, and Minnie got all wet. They then wrapped things up with a trip over to Club Cool in which he described how chemistry is used to stimulate taste buds. The class then wrapped up with sending everyone into Club Cool. We took a quick picture with her instructor.

IMG_20150831_112533_015_zpsrmqdu2tj.jpg

DD didn’t want anything to do with club cool. (She’s not a big soda fan.) So we ended up just walking right through and over to The Land to meet DW, who’d texted me that’s where she was going to meet us for lunch.

Overall, the YES class was OK, I would probably rate it a 6 out of 10. I thought the level of it was probably appropriate for kids on the lower end of the age spectrum (9-12) and for DD it was probably a little bit less intense than she could’ve handled. I was disappointed in the lack of incorporation of the park/rides into the subject, and having almost an hour of our class spent riding Ellen’s energy Adventure seemed to me a waste of time even though it was possibly the closest to “chemistry” that epcot gets. I got the tie in to M:S, but I think a logical tie-in could’ve been made for test track, and the concept behind designing a better car that is used on that ride. Part of designing a car is the components that go into it, and so much of a cars body is no longer metal but polymer. I also was disappointed that there was zero backstage component. I know some of the other classes do that, and so this was particularly disappointing to me. In the end, I would suggest trying another class to someone that was considering the program.

So – back to our day. With the class over, we were ready to eat. (One hint for the class – bring a SNACK!) We met DW getting off of Living with the Land – she had decided to take a ride on her own. We were ready to chow down at Sunshine Seasons, one of our favorite QS meals for the family.

IMG_20150831_121533_235_zpsfpjb5foz.jpg

DD loves the stir fry station there. She got the shrimp with veggies:

DSCN4041_zpsspcmuw3b.jpg

I have a love for the pork chop with BBQ sauce. It’s a big piece of pork that is usually very tender, and it managed to hold up to expectations. One of my favorite QS choices. DW had teh same dish, thus only one picture.

DSCN4042_zpstjpokkpq.jpg

Once lunch was done, our FPs had kicked in, so we were ready to ride Soarin’! Gotta love Soarin’ with a fast pass. This was the only ride of it we worked into this trip.

IMG_20150831_121528_392_zpswjkfmfue.jpg

After Soarin’, DD wanted her turn on Living with the Land. She really likes this ride. (She seems to like anything slow moving.) Me, I love the mural at the beginning!

DSCN4043_zpseuevhzby.jpg

It really is a fascinating ride, though. So much unusual fruits and vegetables. I wonder now after 33 years if any of these technologies that were talked about as the future of farming have gotten any kind of traction worldwide.

DSCN4045_zpssoq48abt.jpg

DSCN4047_zpsoldtoi4l.jpg

DSCN4048_zpswikb3uqu.jpg

DSCN4049_zpsdgiuy4v2.jpg

DSCN4052_zpsym9rqelw.jpg

DSCN4053_zps8dwdxka2.jpg

We also had a FP+ for The Seas Finding Nemo. Not really a necessary FP+, but here’s an advantage it gives you, it shorts cut that ridiculously long queue that they set up for this ride. So, while there is no wait for the ride, we had to walk about 250 yards shorter than if we’d walked through the Standby Queue.

DSCN4054_zpsdeydbtad.jpg

1340c360-cdb6-4aeb-9452-7b5a92ab3491_zpsrhzbux2y.jpg

DD used to LOVE this pavilion and we had to spend hours in here. The transition from child to teen I guess, or maybe it was the oversaturation – once she gets off the ride – she just wanted to leave and not see any of the exhibits or Turtle Crush. No big deal, we’ve spent a LOT of time in here ourselves.

DSCN4057_zpsu32jnvss.jpg

DD was getting antsy to take a break (i.e. get back to her Kindle/IPOD). We had our last FP+ targeted at the Character Spot, but it wasn’t good for another hour. We decided to swing by anyways, and it turned out the wait was mere minutes, so we went in to see the characters.

Having problems with the pictures here - so this is where I stop for now. Have a good weekend everyone!!!

Looks like a great time. I'm not huge on chemistry so I probably wouldn't have liked that class as much but some of the other classes seem interesting. I love the living with the land and it's a must do for me.

You Have a good weekend too!

The YES Program looks interesting. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy your time at Epcot. Enjoy your weekend too.

Interesting kind of YES program. Pity the kids weren't so much more engaged with it.

Looks like you got the best of out Epcot with the FP+.
Love the food at Sunshine Seasons.

I forgot to comment on the last update. Yachtsman and Jellyrolls looked like a nice time. I hope we can make it back to both places eventually!

So far the day looks good. I can see how it would be hard to work chemistry into the day, but it sounds like he did OK. The only rides REALLY needing FP+ are the ones you have to choose from in the Tiered system. It's sort of silly that you are forced to choose three.

I didn't know that the YES programs allowed for individual enrolments - only knew about the class enrolments. Great to know, learn something new everyday!

Not sure what it is, I love Living with the Land too. I've been on it more times than I can count, but I find it really interesting and I seem to hear/pick up on something new on every trip. Always a good one.

Sounds like you guys had a great morning at EPCOT. Can't wait to hear the rest.

The YES Program looks interesting. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy your time at Epcot. Enjoy your weekend too.

We had a great day. (And also a great weekend - we got to watch the first ever professional women's hockey league in their premiere game. Very exciting for womens sports that these players can have a career past college! Four teams now in Boston, Connecticut (Hartford I assume), New York and Buffalo. Great times if anyone has a chance to check it out.

Interesting kind of YES program. Pity the kids weren't so much more engaged with it.

Looks like you got the best of out Epcot with the FP+.
Love the food at Sunshine Seasons.

Me too - we ended up at Sunshine Season's more than once. It's hard to really use Epcot FP+s at slow times of year. After Soarin and Test Track the lines were zero.

I forgot to comment on the last update. Yachtsman and Jellyrolls looked like a nice time. I hope we can make it back to both places eventually!

So far the day looks good. I can see how it would be hard to work chemistry into the day, but it sounds like he did OK. The only rides REALLY needing FP+ are the ones you have to choose from in the Tiered system. It's sort of silly that you are forced to choose three.

Yeah - pretty silly. I considered burning off the first two and trying to get another Tier 1, but we had plenty of time to hit the others before the end.

I didn't know that the YES programs allowed for individual enrolments - only knew about the class enrolments. Great to know, learn something new everyday!

Not sure what it is, I love Living with the Land too. I've been on it more times than I can count, but I find it really interesting and I seem to hear/pick up on something new on every trip. Always a good one.

Sounds like you guys had a great morning at EPCOT. Can't wait to hear the rest.

There is so much to look at on Living with the Land - I agree each time it seems like you see something new. The individual enrollment options aren't as varied as the Group ones, but it's still a good opportunity to get kids a little learning, and at the same time save some money on tickets. (For adults there's a bit of savings, but for kids the amount is pretty significant, I think like $150 cheaper!)

Thanks for the great recap of the YES program. I honestly never really knew much about the programs as I had never looked into it!
All things considering- it looked pretty good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter