I think I hate my dress...

o0IrishEyes0o

September 6, 2007
So my wedding is just about 8 weeks away. I had to re-order my dress in a smaller size since I have lost about 18/20 lbs since ordering it back in early April.

Here's the thing though... I hate it now. I dont think it's that it doesn't fit right or anything like that... it zips up with no trouble and such...it's just... I dont like the way I look in it. I feel like I lost 20lbs and you can't even tell. I dont think I look any different what-so-ever.

I guess... I feel short and wide. :( I'm not sure what to do or what my options are, and I guess I just want some unbiased feedback. My bridesmaids say I'm crazy and that I look much smaller, but I just don't see it.. and I had a good cry about it today b/c I think I'm stuck with it.

Help?

Here are my before/after pics

dress-2.jpg

So my wedding is just about 8 weeks away. I had to re-order my dress in a smaller size since I have lost about 18/20 lbs since ordering it back in early April.

Here's the thing though... I hate it now. I dont think it's that it doesn't fit right or anything like that... it zips up with no trouble and such...it's just... I dont like the way I look in it. I feel like I lost 20lbs and you can't even tell. I dont think I look any different what-so-ever.

I guess... I feel short and wide. :( I'm not sure what to do or what my options are, and I guess I just want some unbiased feedback. My bridesmaids say I'm crazy and that I look much smaller, but I just don't see it.. and I had a good cry about it today b/c I think I'm stuck with it.

Help?

Here are my before/after pics

dress-2.jpg

First--I just wanted to tell you (as I am sure you know), your DF isn't marrying your size--he is marrying you. You lost 20 POUNDS!!! That is a huge hurdle that a lot of people can't get to.

Second--You dress is beautiful, and what it more beautiful is your dress with you in it. Personally, I do see a difference in the pictures and I think that you look incredible.

Third--I have also lost 20 lbs and I can't see a bit of difference; however, the way my clothes fit definately does--and other people can see it. Bascially, because you are looking at yourself everyday you don't see those changes, but everyone else can.

Bottom line, you need to do what makes you happy, but personally I think that you and your dress are just stunning.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!!!
Maggie

:hug:

Ok, well first of all you look great, so let's just get that out of the way. :goodvibes I see what you mean about not thinking that you look any different, though. It is just the photos. Seriously. You are definitely smaller up top, I can tell by your shoulders. The skirt is poufing out differently in the second pic than the first. Were you wearing different undergarments? Perhaps you need a larer crinoline or a hoopskirt! More pouf! lol

I don't know if this helps, but I thought that I looked really thin in my dress on my wedding day. In some of my pics, though, maybe not so much. My friend said that my pics didn't reflect how great I looked, which stinks b/c you want to look super in your pics.

Like I said, you look fantastic and will be beautiful on your wedding day! I really like your dress, but if you are having second thoughts (and it's causing tears), maybe there are other options? Will david's let you exchange?

Good luck! :hug:

P.S. I totally forgot to add CONGRATULATIONS on the 20 lbs!!!

I just wanted to say thank you to both of you. I'm sure I sound like a whiny brat :( I'm very thrilled that I've lost 20 lbs, but I was just so heartbroken that it didn't look much different to me.

I hadn't really thought about the undergarment thing. But in the first picture I am wearing a crinoline... in the picture from yesterday, I am not.

Now that I've calmed down some, I think I can see some difference. I mean, obviously... something changed. I went from squeezing into a size 12 to comfortably zipping a size 10. I guess it is just the 'down to the wire stress' I am feeling.

I'm going to goto my moms tomorrow with shoes, crinoline and a bra from VS and have her snap some pictures in a more natural comfy setting. Maybe that will help. I had to edit the picture below b/c the dress was reflected in the mirror behind me, so you couldn't see my waist, lol.

Thank you both for being so very sweet. You both made me smile so much. I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond :) Hopefully I'll have some happier pics to post from my mom. (Don't moms just make everything better?)

And, Maggie - congrats on your own weight loss!

I think that dress is stunning. You look like the fairy tale princess you are! However with that being said you shouldn't be wearing something you hate. This day is about you. (and your DF) but if you truely feel that you hate the dress look for something new. That way you don't look back at your pictures and say man I hated that dress.

20 pounds is a huge accomplishment. To order a dress in a smaller size wow, how exciting.

Good luck with your dress. I love the one you chose, but I am also not wearing it, so...Go with what makes you happy!

First of all, congrats on losing all that weight! That's awesome!!!

I think you look great in both pics and I love your dress! It's beautiful!

The main difference I see in the dress in the two pics is the skirt -- it poofs up a little bit more at the waistline in the second picture (just like cryssi said). I am betting that the crinoline is what made the difference.

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Oh my gosh, your dress is beautiful and you will be a princess that day! Easier for us to type it then for you to feel it, jwith those pre-wedding jitters because you so want everything to be perfect and it will. If you really are not happy with the skirt talk to your alterations person about reducing the volume at the hip area. It is in proportion with the rest of the dress and looks perfect on you! Good luck and enjoy this time, please try not to stress about it it will take away from the magic you need to feel now!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on the weight loss!!! I am struggling to get some more of mine off. If I was as little as you, I'd be doing backflips!!!!!!!!

Where can I see your weight loss? In your face, your shoulders, your arms, your breast and your waist. It is like someone put you in the drier on high and shrunk you a little.

However, the second pictures is not a good picture to judge weight loss by. The white light or whatever that is behind you causes an optical illusion. Look in picture one where there is definite separation between your arms and waist, and in picture two, the white gives the illusion of the dress going all the way out to your arms.

You look great, you are going to shine on your big day!!!

You ladies are too wonderful for words. I just have to send some love out to you all!:love: :love: :love:

I think that the 2nd picture up there was a bad one to judge by... so I took some of your advice and had a new picture taken. I have all my undergarments on in this one, and I tried to do a similar pose... here are the results:

lisadress.jpg

I feel like I see more of a difference now, and I've calmed down a lot. I'd still like to slim my arms down, but I don't hate the dress like I was yesterday.

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement and for dealing with my stressed/crazy self. :grouphug:

You ladies are too wonderful for words. I just have to send some love out to you all!:love: :love: :love:

I think that the 2nd picture up there was a bad one to judge by... so I took some of your advice and had a new picture taken. I have all my undergarments on in this one, and I tried to do a similar pose... here are the results:

lisadress.jpg

I feel like I see more of a difference now, and I've calmed down a lot. I'd still like to slim my arms down, but I don't hate the dress like I was yesterday.

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement and for dealing with my stressed/crazy self. :grouphug:

You look very pretty in your dress. As someone that was very worried about the weight issue I can tell you on my acutal wedding day when I saw Chris see me for the first time. None of those concerns mattered. He thought I was the most beautiful person in the world and I truely felt like a Princess. You will be beautiful. Be very proud of your accomplishment. Its a great one

love the new pic! see, you look great! that really is a very pretty dress, you know! :thumbsup2

my advice for arms is to do a lot of pushups. you have enough time to do the toning you want. If you're not doing them already, start with 10 in the morning and 10 at night for a couple of days. You probably want to build up to 25 in the morning, 25 at night. Or, more. ;) I stopped doing them b/c I'm lazy, but I didn't really do any other upper body/arm workout, just pushups, and those really toned me up!

The dress looks great on you and it is a very stunning dress. Celebrate your success!!

Im a wedding photographer from NY and you and your dress are stunning,Id love to see u from behind my lens! You will be a spectacular bride-go enjoy your day my friend!:flower3: Congrats!!!

Honestly,
Karen

So glad your feeling better about your dress today! Thanks for posting another (much happier looking) picture. Thats the princess smile we were all looking for! Remember to saviour the magic in it all!!!!:goodvibes

That is a gorgeous dress, and you look beautiful in it! Congratulations on your weight loss success, thats awesome! You will make a beautiful princess bride!!!

You look very pretty in your dress. As someone that was very worried about the weight issue I can tell you on my acutal wedding day when I saw Chris see me for the first time. None of those concerns mattered. He thought I was the most beautiful person in the world and I truely felt like a Princess. You will be beautiful. Be very proud of your accomplishment. Its a great one

That is so sweet. DF keeps telling me, "Dana, it is the total package! You can't stress over one specific thing." I guess it is in our nature to worry about what we look like though.

That is so sweet. DF keeps telling me, "Dana, it is the total package! You can't stress over one specific thing." I guess it is in our nature to worry about what we look like though.

Heehee :) Well the guy just has to throw a tux on 10 minutes before the he has to be a the ceremony and run a comb through his hair. It's us girls that have all the pressure, lol.

I just wanted to tell you that you look gorgeous :goodvibes

The skirt of that dress is absolutely beautiful! I LOVE sparkles!

first off, you should be so incredibly proud of your weight loss!! absolutely awesome!! I've only lost 4 pounds in 3 weeks but I figure every little bit will help and I still have 3 months to go.

and you look beautiful....I especially like the second photo also - the smile helps bunches! :goodvibes the only thing missing is the "glow" :love: - you know, that wedding day feeling when you see each other for the first time and everything else melts away - you could both be wearing rags and standing barefoot in a tunnel- nothing else matters - that's the "GLOW"

you are and will be a stunning bride - go relax! :thumbsup2

Michelle :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter